III

The Iron Maiden
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

III

 

Large stone slabs paved the long stair-like path towards a temple inside a crevice at Mount Sinai, the burial ground of the Nephilims—the Great Temple. In each kilometer up was a burning cauldron, lighting the dimmed way.

 

Colossal white columns stood erect at the entrance, supporting the arched marble roof of the Great Temple. Gigantic carved symbols of Ancients who were renowned from each of the four Houses decorated its walls. And a couple of centaurs, half man, and half horse— holy guards of the shrine—were on the entry, guarding the abode.

 

The sanctuary is not only considered as the sacred entombment of the Ancients but also a refuge for the purebloods. It is a place of comfort and a place of meditation, in pursuance of inner peace. Ironically, the gloomy room they locked her in was anything but that.

 

“You seem to be growing enormously well, Princess Minea.” A soothing yet masculine voice came into the room catching the attention of the said princess. As she shifted to glimpse at the source by the door, a tall lean man, wearing pelt armor with a triangular earthen cloth pinned into his left shoulder by an onyx brooch, bowed into her line of sight.

 

“Maximus.” Minea couldn’t help but smile (though not as she used to) at the recognized figure. It was golden for her to receive or even have a guest, let alone a familiar personage now in her presence, thus it was refreshing to her mundane existence.

 

After her wedding with Prince Jivulus, she was sent—exiled—to the Great Temple with only Jeshkaria as her comfort. No one else bid her a visit. It was an unspoken command, as if someone had indeed forbidden anyone else near her.

 

The fresh scene brightened up her mood as revealed by the radiance of her face.

 

Maximus pulled a chair from a nearby dining ensemble and seated himself in front of the princess—gesturing her to skip the formalities with a wave as she was about to sit up and stand in his welcome.

 

It was a known fact that Minea had troubles with her progressing condition, as it has been deemed necessary for her to be confined in bed for the last months.

 

“Are you saying that I’m getting fat?” Her forehead creased as she lifted herself up to a comfortable position, sitting up with her back supported by the headrest of the queen-sized bed.

 

“Ahahahah!” Maximus gave out a hearty laugh. “I’m afraid, ‘getting fat’ is an understatement.” He continued to tease.

 

“Hmph! If it weren’t for the fact that Jessica is your cousin, you wouldn’t catch me taking the least interest in you. More so, I wouldn’t even talk to you.” She retorted, though with a playful smile.

 

“And for that, I thank the heavens! Luckily, I was born related to her. Not a pureblood, but a Nephilim nonetheless.” He spread his arms and bowed as he chuckled. “Anyway, kidding aside, how are you? It’s been years since I’ve last seen you.”

 

“Still the same old puppet you knew.”

 

“Hmmm. I see.” His eyes turned soft as his gaze landed on the evident bulge she has under the covers. “How long till we see the little prince?”

 

Minea patted the bump on her abdomen. “A full moon after your wedding.” She grinned. “I’ve heard that you’re finally tying the knot. Is that why you’re here? To bid your first love adieu?” A playful smirk was on her face.

 

A chortle escaped him. “Ah! So you can tease me now?”

 

“I joke from time to time.” She shrugged.

 

“Ahahaha. I see you have become livelier.” He grinned. “Yes, I’m finally getting married, so I came to see you first.” His eyes showed a tinge of sadness but a smile crept on his face. “I”ve heard that you and my fiancée became very good friends during your stay in the House of the Blue Serpent.” He exhaled sharply. “I had only met her once. It was her fifth birthday that day. And I can still remember how small she was. And how playful! Imagine putting a lizard in Jeshkaria’s soup? Can you believe it? A little prankster as her brother would call her.” He looked at Minea, an endearing smile reflected on his eyes. “Seeing that you brighten up more with the mere mention of her, I can deduce, quite easily actually, that you two had a great time together.”

 

Minea responded, quite hesitantly, a tinge of sadness in her eyes. “Yes. Taeyeon…She’s…a good person. It wouldn’t be difficult to love her.”

 

“I see.”

 

It has been a solemn pact between Jivulus and Minea for her to cut all ties with Taeyeon, sealing everything they had in complete secrecy. And that is one of the main reasons why she didn’t say a single word against her exile to the Great Temple. It was their way of protecting Taeyeon.

 

“Lady Minea.” He broke the silence, bringing the princess back to reality.

 

“Yes?”

 

“I don’t think that you’re that naïve not to know what your father intends to do with your child, are you?”

 

“Jivulus told me.”

 

Maximus sighed. Deep in his soul, he wanted to be Minea’s only knight–the wall she can lean on, the person she can rely on, the one who will protect her with all his might–for she was–is the love of his life. So when he had learned of her fate, sold to the House of the Blue Serpent as the Lamb, just like a common commodity, he just couldn’t bring himself to accept it.

 

To Maximus, Minea is a precious stone, a priceless gem. And to find her disregarded just like that by both her husband, Prince Jivulus, and her very own father King Leonidas, he just couldn’t calm his broken heart.

 

“Jivulus doesn’t love you.”

 

“I know. He’s in his House, preparing for his sister’s forthcoming union with you. While I’m here, bearing his child.”

 

He diverted his glare to his sandals, his hands clutched in tight fists in an attempt to control his rage. “Your father and him…they—“

 

“I know. They had an arrangement. My father will use this child to tame the Drakon. As you know, he desires greater power. And this child is his way to achieve it. In return, Jivulus’s family in the House of the Blue Serpent will be spared of father’s debauchery when time comes.”

 

“And you will just submit to their devious intentions?” His eyes widened. “After all you’ve been through, that child… He doesn’t deserve to live a pitiable life!”

 

“Our lives had always been pitiable, Maximus. We have lived according to the standards our family has required us to live. And that…That, in itself, is even beyond pitiable.”

 

“True. But now, you’ll have the means to change it.” He stood up. His right hand reached the inside of his pocket, then revealing a small pouch. He pulled a small bottle out of it and handed it carefully to Minea as he kneeled beside her.

 

“What is this?” She scrutinized the dark bottle she was given, carefully tilting it, trying to see through the translucent glass with the aid of the light coming from the ignited cauldrons lighting the room.

 

“Poison. It wouldn’t kill you though. But it would…” He didn’t need to finish his sentence. He knew Minea understood as her eyes showed a tint of horror.

 

“You want me to take the life of my own child?” Her voice was calmer than she had expected it to sound.

 

“All your life, your father hadn’t seen you more than a mere tool. You know how it feels, Minea! I’ve seen you crumble.  As much as I wanted to, I couldn’t help you.” Sadness engulfed his statement. “And that child… He will be thrown into a merciless war! Used like a weapon for mass destruction! And when he had done his purpose, he will be nothing more than a monster!” He sighed. “But…If I could save your child from that nightmare…Even if it costs us his life, it will surely ease my heart as it will yours. It would be better if he wouldn’t even have a glimpse of this wretched world.” His tone was determined. “Do not worry. I will send people to come for you. A few days before my wedding, they will come and take you to a safer place.”

 

The bottle pivoted in her grasp as she twirled it, gazing at the murky contents of the container. “You’ve always tried your hardest to take care of me, Maximus.” She smiled, her eyes turning to crescents. “Thank you.”

 

///

 

The House of the Blue Serpent was filled with merriment as their princess was set to marry in a few days’ time. A horde of the House’s livestock were fattened; the palace, decorated with all the lavish garlands all royalty was expected to. And everyone was enthused at the forthcoming union between another two Houses. Everyone was excited. Everyone. Except the bride-to-be.

 

“The tips of your hair had turned golden, Taeyeon.” Yuri stood across the private training hall, eyeing her petite cousin while she shoots fire arrows to a target. “I think you should stop using magic. It’s changing—“

 

The sound of shattered clay pots echoed throughout the hall. The remains scattered the once polished floor, and the walls surrounding, charred.

 

“Taeyeon.”

 

“I’m training, Yuri.” She answered coldly. “Quit yapping. I need to concentrate.”

 

Taeyeon continued. She summoned a ball of blue flame on her palm and shot it to a nearby hay of dummies. It burned instantly. She skillfully repeated it again and again, burning the others as set on different locations in the hall, but still seemingly unsatisfied of her ability to control the said element.

 

“Taeyeon.” Yuri just couldn’t take it anymore. She stepped forward and grabbed her arm, constricting her movements. “Stop it.”

 

“Let go, Yuri.” Taeyeon didn’t even look at her.

 

“Can’t you see? The more you use these powers, the more you change.” Yuri sighed. “We don’t have Jessica here. What if something else changed in you and we couldn’t handle it? Taeyeon… Please. Stop this.”

 

“I’m fine, Yuri.” She forcefully pulled her arm from Yuri’s grasp. “I’m just doing what my parents want—what everybody wants. I’m training. This is what they want, right? For me not to be weak!” She paced forward and tried to make the fluid from a jar levitate.

 

The liquid floated about five feet off the ground before it fell abruptly. Taeyeon hissed at the failed attempt to even maintain its altitude. She had considerably improved in the skillful command of all the elements over time, all except water. And it has been vexing her to the core.

 

“Taeyeon. Please. Let it go. Let her go. You will be married in a few days’ time.” Yuri knew what—who—was really plaguing Taeyeon. She always did.

 

“Is my sister having wedding jitters?” A wide grin was painted on Jiwoong’s face as he entered the room unannounced.

 

The two ladies swiftly turned their heads towards the unexpected visitor.

 

“No.” Taeyeon answered blankly. “How long have you been there?”

 

Taeyeon’s condition has been kept under wraps, confined in the four corners of Taeyeon’s room, known only to the four princesses. Before Jessica left, she emphasized on the importance of keeping this secret to the grave as it was necessary to protect Taeyeon from the eyes of the Tiger. Her powers should be suppressed and shall not be used in public at all cost.

 

“I just came in.” Jiwoong approached her. “Have you been working late again? Your mood has been affected again, sister.”

 

‘Jiwoong does not know. He must not know. He shouldn’t know anything about me and Miyoung.’ Taeyeon repeated the mantra in her head while she concocts an excuse to make up for her recent behavior.

 

“Taeyeon’s been very busy lately, Jiwoong.” Yuri aided Taeyeon, sensing her predicament. “And the wedding is near. It’s understandable to be a little…sensitive.” She weakly smiled. “So, how’s Jessica? Is she attending the feast?” She diverted the topic.

 

Jiwoong exhaled, seemingly in deep thought. “Ah, Jessica… She…”

 

“She can’t come.” Taeyeon finished his sentence. “Jessica’s attending to Princess Minea’s needs.” Her voice was flat as she turned her back at them, her attention directed to the continuance of her earlier interrupted activity.

 

“Ahahahaha.” Jiwoong rested a hand on Taeyeon’s head, halting her attempt to proceed and ignore them. “You miss Jessica, don’t you? That’s why you’re being a grumpy little kid. You miss your alchemy partner! Ahahahahha.” He messed her hair as he rubbed her head playfully.

 

“Aish, Jiwoong.” Taeyeon took the hand from her head a little harshly than intended. “What if I do miss her? What are you going to do about it?” ‘Yes, I miss her. I miss Miyoung so much. You took her. You stole her. And I miss her so, so bad.’

 

Jiwoong sighed. “You know she can’t come here. Your sister needs her. She’s going into labor a full moon from now. And that’s very soon.”

 

“Can we visit them there, instead?” Yuri asked casually. “Truthfully, I still don’t get why they needed to depart to the Great Temple. Miyoung could have given birth here.”

 

“The Great Temple is a more… favorable place for her to give birth to our child.” Jiwoong straightened his back, his tone becoming serious.

 

“Brother.” Taeyeon stared at the ground.

 

“Hmmm?”

 

“A few years ago, you said that you’ll grant me any wish I ask, remember?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I want to go to Mount Sinai. Before my wedding. I just… need to sort some things out.”

 

Jiwoong’s face turned grim. Inwardly, he knew what—who—Taeyeon had in mind in her request. And he knew it was not going to be a good decision for her to go there. As much as possible, he wanted Taeyeon and Minea to cut ties, never to see each other’s shadows ever again.

 

But a promise is a promise. He couldn’t just back out of it. He is a prince after all.

 

“Very well then. I’ll go ahead of you so I can welcome you there. I must act as a good host, right?” He smirked. “Rest for today and go tomorrow.” He turned his heels and went for the door. “I shall greet you in Mount Sinai with my wife then.”

 

With that, he saddled his horse and went towards the Great Temple.

 

 

///

 

 

“WHAT?” Jessica’s shout reverberated throughout the enclosed chamber. “That Maximus! How dare he—“

 

“He means well, Jessica.” Miyoung tried to placate her cousin’s outburst.

 

She had told her about what Maximus had proposed. After all, it was Jessica who she can only trust in this doomed place. Whatever happens must be told to Jessica, so she can help her.

 

The girl crossed her arms and stared intently at Miyoung, trying to read her mind. “What are you thinking? Are you going to kill your own child?”

 

“What do you think should I do?” Her tone was composed as she rubbed the bulge on her stomach. “Should I do it?” She had a serene smile on her lips.

 

“Miyoung!” Jessica shifted from her seat, agitated at Miyoung’s words. “Don’t you dare hurt your own child!”

 

“Hurt?” She looked at Jessica in the eye, the calmness in her orbs. “My father would use this child. Wouldn’t I save him a thousand sorrows if I end his life now? Now, when he has not yet seen the ugliness of this world would be a perfect time, wouldn’t it?”

 

“Miyoung—“A few knocks and an announcement cut Jessica off.

 

“Princess Minea, your father King Leonidas is here to see you.”

 

Miyoung and Jessica looked at each other with wide eyes. What could have possibly made him come to the Great Temple? Did he have knowledge of Maximus’s treason against his plans?

 

Miyoung was quick to hide the dark bottle under her pillow as Jessica stood up to welcome her uncle.

 

A muscular bearded man, as tall as two burly men on top of each other, came inside. A white lion’s head on his right shoulder, its thick fur as his cape, a gold plated circlet with pure diamond crusts on his forehead, his bare chest showing his toned muscles, an armband of white obsidian and diamond on his left arm with the symbol crest of the House of the White Tiger. It was King Leonidas, Princess Minea’s father.

 

Jessica gave a courteous bow and excused herself. The King responded with a quick nod, dismissing his niece from his presence. And as the door closed, he stepped in front of the hearth at the east side of the room, a piece wood on his hand—his back facing Miyoung.

 

“How’s the baby?”  A cold mighty voice emitted from his mouth.

 

Miyoung darted her sight to her father’s back. She had always envisioned that his broad shoulders were among the few that could—should—have been a sturdy wall that she can rely on in moments like this. Sadly, even after all these years, she was still nothing to him but a mere pawn, a mere tool— not worthy of worry, or care.

 

She has been rendered bedridden for months because of her pregnancy, and not once did he bid her visit throughout those agonizing months, not merely a part of his shadow. Only now did he come, and much more to her dismay, his first words to her weren’t even to check on her. He was more concerned of the child in her womb to even mind asking how she’s been.

 

“Jeshkaria made some panaceas to help strengthen the child.” She flatly reported.

 

“I see.” He threw the piece of lumber he’s been holding unto the fire, his hands automatically clasped together to his back after. “As I have predicted, it is a wise decision to keep Jeshkaria with you.”

 

Silence engulfed them. And as foreign as it may seem, it felt calming to her.

 

“That child.” He exhaled. “You know his significance, I assume.”

 

“I’ve been told. This son shall be yours to command as you see fit.”

 

King Leonidas pivoted his heels, now facing Minea. His eyes bore a sharpness of pride and posture, the stiffness of stone, some of his common features that also gave him the nickname ‘The Lion’. “History shall write the greatness of our House into its book. It shall etch a record of how we have attained a divine goal—the unification of all Houses into one House. That no one—not even our predecessors or our descendants—can win over.” An egotistical smirk. “And it shall start with the name of your son, my grandson, the heir to my throne.”

 

“I do not understand, my King. Isn’t it your wish to rule over every being, every House, every breathing creature in this realm?” Her orbs sparked with curiosity. “So why are you giving the credit to this child?”

 

“My only wish is peace, Minea.” His composed retort surprised her.

 

“Peace…through war? Through chaos?” Her eyebrow rose.

 

“War and chaos are but illusions, a mirage before our redemption, Minea.” His dark orbs glinted with fire. “Our kind had walked on a path to destruction ever since our ancestors accepted sin. And the only way to save us and prolong our lineage is to create a pandemonium, so great that everyone would unite for a common will. My will. Our House’s will. The House of the White Tiger shall be the ruling power that will reunite the kinship cut by our ancestors’ mistake. It shall be, as the prophesy foretold.”

 

“An offspring bearing the blood of the four great houses—this child?—shall cleanse the world of its impurity and end the Ancient’s misery.” Minea mumbled.

 

“That is right. It is not a hidden fact that our ancestor’s downfall was ushered by their greed.” King Leonidas returned his vision on the embers in the fireplace. “And there is only one way to tame greed—with power.  Tremendous and immense power. An iron fist that no one can disobey. A power stronger than any other.”

 

“So you opted to have a war to weed out those who want power? A power that you alone shall hold in the end. You hope to acquire peace by governing all Houses when all others have fallen. Is that what you wish?”

 

“By eradicating the parasites, we can grow a healthy rose, Minea. And that, we shall do. Your mother would have loved that.” He gave her a weak smile, one that she had first seen in her entire life.

 

And then, she was left to herself, wondering why she had never seen this side of her father. If only he had been more open to her—if only—then, perhaps... perhaps... she could have believed in his beliefs as well. Perhaps, she could have been the savior—the puppet—her father wanted her to be.

 

But she wasn’t anymore. She clearly wasn’t that anymore. And it pains her, that now, she was not that puppet anymore.

 

///

 

Miyoung woke up with beads of cold sweat trickling on forehead. She sat up, panting heavily as if she had run for miles.

 

“Bad dream?” Jessica, who was sitting near the fireplace reading, stood up, took a glass of water and sat beside Miyoung—giving her a rub in the back as she drinks.

 

“No.” Miyoung gave the empty glass back to Jessica as the latter put it on the side table. “A premonition. A very grim vision.” Her breath hitched.

 

Jessica focused on her more, her pupils constricting. It was a known fact that dreams from the House of the Red Phoenix come true—in one way or another. “What is it about?” Her body tensed.

 

“Tears. So much tears.” Miyoung clamped her eyes shut. “Jessica.” She gripped Jessica’s arm—seeming to want to get some strength.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Do you trust me?” Miyoung’s voice was weak but the strength in her tone was filled with vigor, a sense of anxiety in .

 

“As you trust me, dear cousin.” Jessica cupped Miyoung’s cheek with a hand, brushing the damped stray of hair away from her face. Her eyes were completely on Miyoung’s. “What is it? Tell me, and I shall help you. You know you can always lean on me.”

 

“Quicken my labor.” She gazed at the now wide-eyed Jessica. “I have to give birth. Now.”

 

“I don’t understand. Why would you—“

 

“Please.” Miyoung’s eyes were pleading, her hold tightening.  “Trust that I mean well. There is a great danger coming, a danger I could not fathom. But it is certain to occur. Tonight. And when the sun sets again, it shall set on a new world—one that I’ll know nothing of.” Her hazel orbs constricted. “Time is running out, Jessica. This is the only way I can save this child. He has to live out of me, away from me—so he can live. So do it. Do it now.”

 

Jessica’s mouth was agape for a second and as her astonishment subsided, she shifted, stood up, and gathered herself together. She paced towards her bag, searching for a flask that could grant Miyoung’s wish. A turbid purple container was taken out.

 

“Drink.” Jessica passed her the bottle. “I’ll get a tub of hot water and a bag of clean linens. Wait for me.”

 

And she left the room in haste.

 

///

 

“PUSH!” Jessica coached in between Miyoung’s spread legs, her cold sweat mirroring the laboring woman’s. “Come on, Miyoung. Just a little bit more. I can see his crown already. Just a little—“

 

“Mmmmp!”Miyoung gripped the wooden headboard for support and bit the rolled cloth in as she pushed harder. Her body trembled as she felt the pain thrashing within her body. It was as if she was being ripped apart, her pelvic bones forced open.

 

The sound of sudden gush of blood was heard. Jessica was quick to tie and cut the umbilical cord, then wrapping the newborn in clean cloth. She stood up and laid the infant beside his panting mother.

 

“He didn’t even cry.” Jessica smiled, relief in her face as the delivery didn’t become as complicated as she expected it to be. “A healthy son, Miyoung.” She wiped Miyoung’s forehead with a cloth and assisted her to sit up and to take the infant in her arms.

 

With a quivering hold, Miyoung held her son in her arms. And in that instant, she knew the excruciating pain she had experienced couldn’t even compare to the bundle of joy in her arms. Her son. Her son is a bundle of sun wrapped in her delicate arms.

 

How can something so small make her feel as if the center of the world shifted and focused on him alone? In just a second, in that exact moment when his tiny hazel orbs met hers, he pulled her heart into his. And Miyoung knew, she can never let anything hurt her son.

 

No one.

 

No one.

 

She would die first before anyone can hurt her son—over her dead body.

 

Miyoung never had a mother so she never knew how to be one. What to do or how to care—how to love. But she wanted to be one. When she saw her son, she wanted to be one. Just in that moment, she wished to be one. She would protect her son, no matter what.

 

“He’ll be a good child.” Miyoung gently touched the newborn’s pink cheek and the smile of a mother curved her lips. “He has the same calmness as Taeyeon.” She planted a soft kiss on his small forehead. “Apollo. I name you, Apollo—the sun of my life.” She bit her thumb, blood oozed out, and she drew an ancient rune on his bare chest.

 

“Miyoung, what are you doing?” Jessica’s brows creased even if she knew what the gesture meant. After all, it was her who taught Miyoung the symbol—the bind intended for Taeyeon.

 

Miyoung ignored the question and continued on her task. She took a moment to cherish her son and soon after, she removed the lock necklace that dangled from her neck and put it on the infant. “I’m sorry. I’m a very bad mother.” Her eyes moistened. “This is the only thing I can do for you, child. I would…I will never let anyone use you like they’ve used me. No. My misery is enough. You do not deserve any of it. I…I want you to live a happy life, a fulfilling life, far away from this chaos.” She clamped her eye shut as she muttered her next words carefully, meaning each word that was to come out. “I bind you. I bind you to a life of a mortal. All your strength as a Nephilim, all that makes you powerful, I seal them.” The rune glowed a radiant hue and as the pendant locked, the bind was done.

 

And she gave him back to Jessica. “Take him. Run. Run far away from here. Do not look back. Do not return. Just. Please, Jessica, take him and run away. I know I ask for too much. But you’re the only one who can do this for me. Protect my child. I beg you.”

 

“What are you saying? What about you? I am not leaving without you!” Jessica contested as she held the baby in her arms.

 

“No.” Miyoung shook her head. “My place is here. I still have a role to fulfill. But do not worry. I will never let them use me again.”

 

“What do you mean?” Jessica’s voice had become more anxious by the moment.

 

“Maximus’s potion.”

 

“You wouldn’t!”

 

“I will.” Miyoung had a finality in her tone.

 

“What are you thinking? If you drink it, then it shall destroy your womb completely and—“

 

“I shall never bear a child anymore.” Miyoung finished her sentence, knowing fully well of the consequences of her actions.

 

“Miyoung.” Jessica’s eyes were filled with worry.

 

“This has to be done. I need to end everything, Jessica. For him.” She looked at her son. “And for those who I have learned to love.”‘Her.’

 

“But—“ Jessica tried to protest but the sudden grip from Miyoung made her flinch.

 

“I thank you, Jessica. With all my heart, I thank you. But there is no more time. I pray for your safety. Now, go. Go before anyone sees you.” She hastily pulled Jessica in for a side hug, for this might, indeed, be her last fare

Please log in to read the full chapter