The Butterfly Effect

The Butterfly Effect

The butterfly effect was something you never really believed in. You thought that it simply wasn't possible, how a tiny change or an insignificant item could make a huge mark in the future. It was too unrealistic and you would wave it away when someone talked about it.

Until the day you experienced it yourself.


You remembered the day clearly. An art major, your classes were all on the other side of the campus and you would have to drag your art supplies EVERYWHERE. Every morning at 11 a.m. sharp, down the stairs of Dorm 3E, across the road to catch the bus, load your on the bus, get off at your stop, run to your classroom, realize you forgot brush, cuss yourself out, then go back and repeat the whole process. It had become an everyday routine. You always dropped that damned brush on the third step on the dormitory stairs and you knew it.

But you would always forget to check before dashing down the rest of the stairs.

You hated having to run back and forth, making a din on the bus, catching everyone's eye with your bigass canvas board. It was too much attention. You didn't like it at all. You have always been a wallflower, and will always be one. You spent you breaks and lunch hours with your one and only friend, Sooyoung. She was your childhood friend and knew everything about you. You could deal with her.

Just one person was enough for your school life.


Kris, on the other hand, was basking in attention. He sat up straight on the bench he was lounging on and pushed a few girls away as they were blocking his sight. Just passing him was his substitute teacher from his class earlier this morning. And boy, did Kris find her hot. He whistled as her as she strutted past, returning the playboy nothing more than a seductive wink. Kris his lips and smirked.

A few girls around him started whining.

"Oppaaa why do you whistle at her and not me? I'm so much cuter~"

"Kris baby, look at me. I picked this especially short skirt for youu."

"Jagiya, feed me~ ahhh."

Kris rolled his dark brown eyes behind his shades. He was bored of these girls and stood up, some girls following suit.

He began walking away when he heard heels clicking behind him. He turned around swiftly and pushed down his shades. A few girls swooned.

"Leave." He said coldly, and walked off alone.

Kris was never contented. He decided to major in Psychology because he heard that course had the most girls. But as always, the girls were the same. ty, whiny and clingy. Kris hated those, but he was addicted to the attention they lavished upon him. Sure, they annoyed the hell out of him, but as long as he, the hottest guy on the campus, was getting all the attention he wanted, who could stop him?

He walked casually with his hands in his pocket, checking out a few girls on the way back to Dorm 3E. Like his course choice, this dorm had many girls, and Kris had instantly settled on this dorm. Entering through the side, Kris made his way to the stairs. 

First step. Second step. Third- whoa. Kris looked up at the sound of someone coming down the stairs and he automatically looked up. 

Long, slender legs were right before his eyes, wrapped in a fitting pair of dark skinny jeans the ends tucked into military boots styled heels. His eyes travelled upwards. A sheer white top, a simple necklace, a slim and smooth neck. Meeting your eyes, Kris' breath got caught in his throat. Your pink lips were slightly parted in shock and your big brown eyes stared back at him. Your undyed hair rested comfortably at your shoulders and were slightly wavy. 

Oh man she's a goddess. Kris was dazed. He was about to step on the third step when you cried out, "Andwae!" Following your outstretched hand, he saw a thin paintbrush lying there. He picked it up and studied it. It was quite clean, albeit for a few purple smears on some parts. He hesitantly held it out to you, but pulled back before you could grab it.

His lips tilted upwards as he leant closer to you.

"Hey. Can I have your number?" He whispered seductively.

He could almost see the tension and shock that radiated from your body as those words left his mouth. Kris waited for your reply expectantly.

To his utmost shock, you just pushed him away and ran down the stairs. Kris stared at your back, jaw hanging.

Did... did a goddess just reject a god? He thought in disbelief.


"I mean, he just met me, and shamelessly asked for my number! Uh excuse me? Doesn't he have the sense to ask for my name first at least? How does he even get so many girls?" You huffed and ranted to Sooyoung.

"He's hot?" She shrugged sheepishly. To be honest, she was more than a little shocked when you pulled her away to rant about Kris. You had never talked so much about a person before and even as your childhood friend, Sooyoung was taken aback.

But then again, you never told her, but her best friend instincts told her you had a major crush on him.

You were just too busy trying to be a wallflower to admit it. She watched on in amusement as you continued ranting about the extinction of gentlemen these days.


Every day after that, Kris would always search high and low for his goddess with the paintbrush in his back pocket. He, too, ranted about you to Lay, his closest friend from young. He was frustrated, no doubt. He couldn't fathom why a girl would reject THE Kris. Nevertheless, Kris was still determined to track you down and find out what he did wrong.

One day, he ran into the art studio in a desperate attempt to look for you when he saw you painting in a corner, with your back facing him. Kris stopped in his tracks in awe. You were wearing a long skirt and a simple tee, your hair up in a messy bun. He spotted a flower in your hair and recognized it from the tree outside Dorm 3E. He laughed inwardly. 

You were completely engrossed in your painting and didn't show any sign of hearing Kris inch closer to you.

When he came close enough, he peered at your painting and his jaw dropped again.

You were painting him. Not from any photographs or other drawings, but from memory. Kris studied the way you depicted his eyes. Cold and condescending at first glance, but a bit of warmth and the tiniest twinkle hidden deep within his irises. Kris marvelled at all the details and he noticed a mole near his ear, usually hidden behind his hair.

How did she- His thoughts were interrupted when you shifted your position, putting your brush back. You seemed to be searching for one brush until you stopped, saying to yourself, "Oh right. It's with him." You sighed as Kris froze behind you.

Gripping the paintbrush that was in his back pocket, he took a deep breath. Don't be a now, Kris. It's now or never and you know it.

He positioned the brush in front of you and said softly, "Did you need this?"

He saw your side profile as you smiled and took the brush, then froze. Turning around slowly, Kris and you faced each other, both unsure of what to say next.

A few awkward seconds later, you were the first to react. You quickly got up from your seat and tried to leave, but Kris held on to your arm. You struggled a bit in an attempt to escape but to no avail. He gripped your arm harder. "Why do you keep running away from me? Did I do something wrong? Sujin, please." He pleaded. Your eyes widened when he said your name.

"H-How did you know my name?" You stuttered.

Kris rolled his eyes. "What makes you think I wouldn't know the name of the girl that's been driving me crazy for the past week?" He stopped talking when he realized his indirect confession.

Kris wasn't lying though. He meant it. He was nuts about you, not because you were the first girl to reject him, but because when Kris was asked what his ideal type was, a girl that looked and acted exactly like you popped up in his mind. His playboy days were over. Kris had found you, and you were the answer to all his questions.

You shifted your feet uncomfortably. "Kris... I-" You began, but his lips latched onto yours gently, cutting you off. Your eyes widened more, but slowly closed as Kris pulled you closer to him, deepening the kiss. You broke it off, trying hard to catch your breath without being obvious. Then, you realized what just happened and you pushed him away, staring at him warily.

Kris was confused. "What's wrong?" He stepped closer but you moved away.

"It's you. This isn't right. You're a playboy. I'm just a nobody. How do I know you're not playing with me?" You accused. Truth be told, you liked the kiss. In fact, you loved it. You liked Kris too, but you never came to terms with your feelings until now. You felt the butterflies for sure, but you couldn't tell if it was because of excitement or because of surprise. 

For now, you were going to assume it was surprise.

Kris sighed and ran hand hand through his hair. "Sujin-ah, I've been searching for you every day since that time on the stairs. Not because of that paint brush, but because I was dying to see you again, and to feel you. Sujin-ah, you've captured my heart, and I'm not lying. I promise." Kris looked deep into your eyes and caught a flicker of surprise in your eyes. 

He made his way to you. You wanted to back away but you were lost in his eyes. You saw passion and desire, feelings so deep that you didn't know how to express them in a painting. His long legs closed the distance between the two of you and he hugged you close to his body. You let him.

"Give me a week. I'll prove it to you." Kris murmured. You felt the sincerity in his words and decided to go along with it.

You nodded, making Kris smile genuinely for the first time in days as he bent down to capture your lips.


Kris really did fulfill his promise. He wouldn't let you out of his sight, left your favourite iced mocha outside your door every morning, sent you short but heartfelt messages each hour and fearlessly held your hand when you two walked around on the campus. 

You were uncomfortable with all the attention and rumours flying everywhere. You told Kris about your wallflower status and he assured you that he would protect you no matter what. You relaxed a bit and let him calm you down. 

On the last day of the promised week, Kris had to go out of campus for a class task. He was worried about leaving you alone, but you told him it was fine. After agreeing to text each other every 15 minutes, you and Kris went your own ways. Sooyoung was sick, so you were really alone for most of the day. You continued your painting of Kris in peace. Finally, lunch hour came and you were relieved that the day was ending. Sticking the paintbrush that brought Kris to you into your hair, you typed a message to Kris: Hey :) Just finished class, going for lunch now. Where are you?

You were about to press send when your phone was knocked out of your hands and went sliding across the floor. You looked up in anger and shock at the culprit, only to meet the cold eyes of Yuri, the most popular girl on campus. She also happened to be Kris' numner 1 fan and after witnessing a week of you and Kris getting close, Yuri had about enough of you. Her fellow wannabes Mira and Hyeri stood right behind you, blocking you if you wanted to run.

"Bring her in." Yuri snarled and the two girls dragged you by your hair into an empty classroom. They threw you on the ground and you winced. Yuri grabbed your collar and pulled you up. "How dare you get close with my Kris, you little !" She pulled back her arm to deliver a punch when a strong arm shot out and held her back.

"Kris, my baby.." Yuri started gushing but Kris glared at her. "Save it, ." He snarled, furious.

Yuri flipped her hair. "She deserves it, you know. For trying to-"

"GET OUT!" He roared. "Don't ever let me see you again." He sneered at her and watched her and the two other girls run away in shame and fear.

Turning to you, Kris felt his heart ache when he saw you lying on the ground, helpless. He picked you up and pulled you into his arms as you cried.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I knew something was wrong. I'm sorry Sujin." You wiped your tears and looked up at him. You saw remorse and guilt written all over his face. It was then you knew that he wasn't lying about his feelings for you.

You cupped his cheek and kissed him gently. "I'm fine because of you. Don't worry, Kris." You managed a smile.

Kris hugged you tightly and whispered, "I love you, Sujin-ah. Please believe me."

You broke away from his warm embrace and gazed into his eyes. "I believe you. I love you too, Kris."

Kris felt like a huge burden had been lifted off his chest. As he enveloped you in a hug and kissed you with overflowing love and passion, the paintbrush lay on the floor, having done its job in bringing two people together in love and changing their futures forever.

 

THE END.


Omgosh it ended. Okay guys I literally did this in oneshot. I've been sitting in my chairs for hours trying to perfect this story and my hurts.

Hope you guys liked it! Subscribe and comment if you want me to do an EXO oneshot specially for you!

Love you all, xoxo

~chaochaoxx