1 of 500,000

1 of 500,000

A storm always starts out the same; a bright and blue sky is slowly taken over by grey clouds rolling in, the sunlight dimming till the entire city is encased in a gloomy shadow. Soon the drizzling starts, building up to a loud crescendo as the water droplets rain down. It sounds like thousands of fingers drumming against the glass pane as the clouds transition to a darker grey. Weather reporters warn those driving to watch out for the slick roads and to make sure they have their headlights on, just in case. 

Jiyeon has the volume of the television on the lowest possible; to the point where it’s barely audible, but loud enough so that she can still hear but not be distracted from the book nestled in her lap. It’s nearing dinner time; the pot of stew on the stove is at a low simmer and all she has to do is wait for Chanyeol to get home. 

The minutes on the clock tick by, Jiyeon becoming entirely engrossed in her novel that she had tuned out the weather report (tonight has a 70% chance of thunder and lightning, along with the heavy rain. It should let up by the morning.)

It takes the unlocking of the door to echo throughout the apartment to distract her focus, along with the shuffling of socked feet and the thuds of wet shoes hitting the flooring. Jiyeon sets the book aside, prepared to get up from her seat on the couch until a loud thunderclap has her nearly jumping out of her own skin. A pathetic whimper escapes her lips as she sinks back into the cushions, burying her face into the rough fabric.

Jiyeon peeks between her fingers, eyes briefly glancing over to the window as lightning illuminates the skyline in an eery glow for a split second. The bolt of light is followed by another loud boom, and Jiyeon isn’t sure if the floor is shaking from the thunder or if it’s just her own body shuddering from fear.

She knows it’s irrational to be afraid but it doesn’t stop her body from trembling. 

(“Jiyeon, thunder is only caused by the rapid expansion of the air surrounding the path of a lightning bolt.” 

“But what of all those people who have been struck by lighting?” 

Chanyeol looks at her incredulously. “There’s a one in 500,000 chance that you will be hit, don’t be ridiculous.” 

“But there is a chance!”
)

There’s a dip on the couch next to her and all too soon she’s pulled onto Chanyeol’s lap, completely enveloped in the safety of his arms. It’s comforting, Chanyeol’s body heat seeping into her skin and warming her from the outside in; he mutters words that put Jiyeon at ease even though she barely understands half of what he’s saying. 

Soon the sound of thunder fades into the background, like the hum of the refrigerator. Jiyeon buries her face into Chanyeol’s chest, the top of her head bumping into his chin and he lets out a breathy chuckle. She smiles and inhales deeply. Jiyeon can feel Chanyeol’s steady heartbeat from where she’s gripping his shirt tightly; it’s her anchor.

Minutes meld in together until Jiyeon’s not sure whether or not it’s still early evening or if night has already descended. Chanyeol’s calloused hand her hair gently before the other hand comes up to lightly cradle her face between them. He places a sweet kiss on her forehead, the smile on his face lighting up his eyes.

(“Even if you tell me otherwise, I still think thunder is frightening.”

“That’s fine; as long as you have me, you don’t have to be afraid of anything.”

Jiyeon shifts uncomfortably, pulling the hem of her skirt, but it doesn’t stop the blush from crawling up to her cheeks. “You’re disgusting.”

“And you love me anyways.”
)