Love Letters

Love Letters

Taeyeon went down the stairs,to the mailbox which seemingly seems empty. She unlocked it and saw an envelop inside;as usual. She took the envelop out with a smiling face and went back up to her apartment.

Carefully tearing the lid open,she smiled again when she noticed the familiar beautiful handwriting. She unfolded the letter and started concentrating on the words,reading each and every one of them carefully.

"Taeyeon,the season is now Autumn,did you see the falling red leaves? They're beautiful,just like you. It's sad to see that you're always insecure. Taeyeon,what's there to be insecure about? You have a beautiful face and a beautiful heart,it's just that alot of people are too blind to see it. But I see it,I see it really clearly. I am staring at the flawless maple leaves now,it kind of reminds me of you,flawless as well. I hope you know that someone out there really loves you. I love you. -Clove."

Just as she finished reading the heartfelt letter,the door bell rang. She immediately kept the letter in her pocket before heading to the door,she looked through the door hole,only to see darkness,and with that,she chuckled. She opened the door,only to reveal a charming man,smiling. "Hello Sunggyu,what brings you here?" she asked.

"Tea. And it's Autumn now,did you see the falling red leaves?" Sunggyu smiled warmly at her before he invited himself in. Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows,as his words sounded similar to the ones in the letter. She quickly ward off the thought and closed the door.

 

"Taeyeon,how is your internship going? Good?" Sunggyu questioned as he sipped on his tea. Sunggyu was known to be a really classy man,even in his high school days,he acted like an adult,which of course,made plenty of girls fall head over heels with him. Sunggyu and Taeyeon have been friends since middle school,so they know everything about each other. Well,not exactly everything.

"Being a writer,it's not that bad. How about your law internship? Going well? Are the big time lawyers neglecting you or so?" Taeyeon asked back as she smiled at him. "No not really. Surprisingly,those arrogant looking lawyers,seemed pretty nice." Sunggyu nodded. "So...how is your secret admirer going? Is he still sending you love letters?" Sunggyu asked.

"Well yeah. I received one just now. I really want to know who he is,even though he said he didn't want to reveal himself. His letters,just brightens up my day. Knowing someone who loves me and cares for me,it just feels good,you know?" Taeyeon smiled again,just thinking about the letter she just read. "But I care for you too. Isn't that enough?" Sunggyu laughed.

"I've known you since you were going through puberty! It's really normal if we care for each other." Taeyeon said matter-of-factly. 'Then isn't it normal,falling in love with each other?' Sunggyu thought silently. "Are you hungry? Do you want me to cook something for you?" He asked. "That would be very nice of you Sunggyu." Taeyeon gave a genuine smile. "Thank you."

Sunggyu stood up and put his jacket down before he rolled up his buttoned sleeves and headed to the kitchen. Seeing this,Taeyeon couldn't help but feel her heart beat faster. It was normal,since he is a dashing young man. 'Even though i've known him for a really long time,he won't fall in love with me. I mean,i'm me,and he's Kim Sunggyu. It's like we breathe different air.' Taeyeon let a soft sigh escaped her lips before she took out the letter from her pocket. She once had a crush on Sunggyu,during their first year of high school,but seeing how it was so impossible,she gave up.

 

"Kimchi jjigae,my favourite." Taeyeon smiled warmly. "And another addition,spicy and sour pork." Sunggyu lightly chuckled as he placed the plate of pork in front of Taeyeon. "Of course,you know me best. Are you eating?" Taeyeon asked as she picked up her chopstick and spoon. "No. I have to leave for work in 10 minutes time." Sunggyu said,checking his watch. Her face fell. "That fast?". Sunggyu sighed and nodded disappointingly.

Taeyeon tried to ate as politely as she can. It became a habit for her because she feared that people will judge her by the way she eats. Seeing this,Sunggyu's heart ached. "You don't have to eat like that,Taeyeon ah. Just eat comfortably." Sunggyu pointed. "Ah,it's okay. It became a habit now." Taeyeon gave him a small smile of assurance.

10 minutes later,Sunggyu had to reluctantly leave Taeyeon's apartment if not he will be late for his first case. "I'll come again tomorrow if I have the time." Sunggyu waved at her. "Okay,drive safely." she waved back before Sunggyu left the apartment. If anyone were to see this without knowing anything,they would've thought that both of them were husband and wife.

Seeing Sunggyu leave,Taeyeon took out the letter out of the pocket and sighed again. "Just who are you clove?" she asked no one in particular.

 

The next day,Taeyeon hurriedly left for work as she realized that she was late. She hailed for a cab and quickly went in. "Ahjussi,G.O.L.D broadcasting company please." she said in a huff.

"Writer Jung,sorry,i'm late!" Taeyeon panted as she barged into the office. "Taeyeon,if you're late one more time,I will have to kick you out of the office. You understand me?" Writer Jung snapped sternly before he went back to his seat. Taeyeon removed the slingbag hanging on her shoulders and sat on one of the seats,listening to the team leader's briefing session.

'Did Clove send me another letter again? What if he doesn't?' Taeyeon thought silently as she stared at her team leader. "Taeyeon!" Team leader Na snapped. "Oh yes sir?" Taeyeon asked,snapping out of her trance. "Did you just hear what I said?" he crossed his arms. "Choesonghaeyo..." Taeyeon mumbled. "Listen carefully this time and stop day dreaming!" he slammed his hands on the table,making everyone in the office flinch. Taeyeon could only gave him a frightened nod.

"I need writers for a children book and for the script of tomorrow's news since the writer for the news abruptly resigned. Anyone up for it?" he asked,looking at the members of his team. Taeyeon,feeling that she should do something,raised her hand. "I'll write the children book." she volunteered. "Are you sure? What if you hand in the assignment late?" Team Leader Na,asked.

"I won't. I promise." Taeyeon said. "You won't have any other choice,if not you'll be kicked out immediately. Remember,you're only an intern,so do not screw this up!" he yelled again.

 

Sunggyu read what he wrote and smiled approvingly to himself. "Her standards of writing are high." he remarked as he folded the paper and slipped it into an envelop. "Sunggyu,good job on handling the case. You may have the rest of the day off,see you tomorrow." Lawyer Chang nodded at him before leaving the office. "Thank you." Sunggyu mumbled to no one in particular.

He got onto his BMW and drove to Taeyeon's apartment. He went to her mailbox and slipped the envelop through the gap and smiled again,satisfied. "I wish you knew that it was me." his smile dropped before letting a soft sigh escape his lips. He went back to his car,and waited. Waiting for who,you ask? Taeyeon,of course.

Sunggyu almost drifted to sleep when he spotted a figure lazily walking to her mailbox. He recognized her immediately and smiled at her cuteness. He saw her looking at the envelop before heading upstairs to her apartment. "Taeyeon,why are you so perfect? I had that thought ever since I met you." Sunggyu sighed. During the first year of high school,he subconsciously fell in love with Taeyeon,despite all the other girls that tried to win his heart and woo him. Oh how he wished she felt the same.

He took out the maple leaf from his pocket and stared at it. "You are beautiful,but why did you fall?" he mumbled. He thought that this maple leaf fitted Taeyeon perfectly,when he first saw it fall when no other leaf did. A fallen beauty. He put back the leaf in his pocket and got out of the car as he made his way to her apartment.

He knocked on the door and covered the door hole with his thumb. "Who is it?" Taeyeon asked sarcastically at the other side of the door. "Hamster." he remarked and could hear her chuckle. When she opened the door and smiled at him,he thought he was going to go insane. She has the most beautiful smile ever and he wished that she wasn't so insecure about herself.

 

"So how did your first case go?" Taeyeon asked as she prepared some tea for him. "It went good. Lawyer Chang even praised me." Sunggyu said as he sat on the sofa. "What about you?" he asked. Taeyeon bit her lips as she thought about how her senior and team leader yelled at her today. "It went well too." she lied. Sunggyu immediately caught on and turned to her. "You're lying. I can tell." Defeated,Taeyeon sighed.

She placed the cup of tea in front of him and began telling him about her day,and also how she received another one of the love letters. "Do you think you want to know who your secret admirer is?" he asked. "Of course!" Taeyeon exclaimed. "What if he's someone you know?" Sunggyu asked again,making Taeyeon hesitate before she snap her gaze towards Sunggyu. "Sunggyu,do you know something?" she asked. "No,I don't." Sunggyu lied.

 

The next day in the middle of a case,Sunggyu got a text. He secretly read it and his face fell. Taeyeon,is sick. He quickly put his phone away and looked at the judge. He has to get out of here right now,but he couldn't. He tapped his fingers impatiently as he waited for the case to finish.

"What the hell Sunggyu!" Lawyer Chang immediately yelled at him once they stepped out of the courtroom. "I am really sorry." Sunggyu bowed,showing sincere remorse. "You could've put that innocent man's life on the risk! Luckily we still have a shot at the jury." Lawyer Chang clenched his jaw. "I don't think you should do this anymore. I want you to get out of my office first thing in the morning." the lawyer said before he walked off. "!" Sunggyu cursed and punched the wall before he remembered the text he got earlier. He immediately ran to the carpark and started his car as he sped off to Taeyeon's apartment.

Speeding isn't good,because in reality,you might never know what will happen on the road,if you're speeding. Sunggyu was too engrossed in his driving that he didn't see the truck coming. There was a loud honk and the blinding lights filled his sight before everything went black.

 

Taeyeon got up from her bed as her head continued pounding. She opened the fridge and drank some water before she held an icepack against her forehead. Her cellphone suddenly started ringing,irritated by the noise,she immediately picked it up. "Hello?" she grunted. After a few seconds,her eyes went wide before she shrieked into the phone. "WHAT?!"

She immediately took her bag and left the apartment,running like crazy. Since her apartment was near to the hospital mentioned,she just ran there as fast as she could. Her tears subconsciously filled up to the brim of her eyes,blurring her vision as she ran. At that moment,she realised the feelings she had for Sunggyu,never faded away,it was still there all along.

A moment later,she finally arrived at the hospital. "Kim Sunggyu,Kim Sunggyu,is he...I mean...I want to see him." she said hurrily to the clerk at the counter. "Are you Taeyeon?" the clerk raised her eyebrow,while Taeyeon just nodded furiously. "Please take a seat,the doctor will be with you in a while." she said and Taeyeon just sat on the seat as her hands trembled. "Please Sunggyu,please be alright. Please." she begged as another tear fell from her eyes.

In what felt like forever,the doctor finally came out. "How...h-how is he?!" Taeyeon stammered as she went to the doctor. He sighed and put down his clipboard as he looked at her. "I'm sorry,but he died on the scene." the doctor hung his head low for sympathy as Taeyeon felt that she lost it. Her vision blurred as her hearing went a little soft. "Taeyeon ssi,the police have found this letter,and I believe it's for you." the doctor said as he handed Taeyeon the familiar piece of faint pink envelop that her secret admirer would always use.

She took it with a trembling hand and opened it.

"Taeyeon ah,I know that your team leader and your seniors are a little harsh on you,but still I hope you wouldn't be too sad. I love the essays you wrote in high school. So now you know,your secret admirer is someone you know from high school. Your beautiful smile,brightens my day. Don't be sad,don't be angry. Smile,because you look like a glowing angel when you smile. Don't eat too politely,I guess it's uncomfortable,please eat the food deliciously. My heart aches whenever I see you feel so insecure. And then again,I love you,forever and always. -Clove."

More tears fell on the letter,smudging the words. "I am sorry for your loss,Taeyeon. You can see him if you want,in the room at the corner. Once again,i'm sorry." the doctor bowed before he walked away. Taeyeon gripped onto the letter tightly as she walked to the room,shaking. She bit on her arm to prevent herself from crying loudly,even as a passerby,it was too painful to see.

She uncovered his face as her tears continued to fall. "Why didn't you tell me?" she asked the cold lifeless body. She felt her hands becoming even more cold as her head continued to pound,but at the moment,she didn't care. "I love you too. Why didn't you tell me?" her voice cracking as she dropped on her knees.

Her crying eventually stopped 3 hours later. The nurse allowed her to be in the room for as long as she wanted. She stood up and leaned down,to give Sunggyu a final kiss on the cheek. "I love you too Sunggyu,forever and always." she said before she left the room,gripping onto the letter tightly.

 


 

Holy vhut! It's so sad )': I hope you guys have enjoyed reading this one shots. Thank you <3

-Mi Eun