Father

Phaethon; Up In Flames

This is my first fully written story!!!!!!! WOOHOO! Also, I would like to point out that I did not come up with this story in my head, but an actuall myth is the cause of it. The diolague is from the actual story, not me. Also, I did use similar sentances in some instances, but the books author is creadited in the discription. Thank you for reading!!!!!

 

 

                                                                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

 

 

 

The teenager walked into the golden palace, eyes like saucers of wonder. Jewels lined the ivory walls, giving off an iridescent light. Time never changed here, staying at high noon throughout time. Night never had a chance to dim the brightness, so darkness stayed  unknown to the place. Only few mortal men and women have ever entered this enchanting castle, unable to handle the blinding light.

 

 

 

Even so, on this day, Minho, mortal on his mothers side, gathered the courage to enter. Being the nervous fourteen year old boy he was, contemplated why he was even trying to enter the famous palace. Remembering his urgency, he pushed through the hefty doors. He walked through the enchantingly beautiful halls, straight into the throne room of the blazing sun god himself. The boy was forced to halt, for he could not bare any more of the luminosity.

 

 

The powerful god eyes laid on the boy and instantly softened.

“What have you here?” The booming voice of the being echoed in the room.

 

 

Minho, the brave soul he was, answered instantly “I have come” he paused “to find out if you are my father or not. My mother said you were, but the boys at school laugh when I tell them I am your son. They will not believe me. I told my mother and she said I had better go ask you.”

 

 

A miniature smile played on the Suns lips as he took off the crown of burning light, so the boy could look at his face without distress. “ Come here, Minho” he said “You are my son. Clymene told you the truth. I expect you will not doubt my word too? But I will give you a proof. Ask anything you want of me and you shall have it. I call on the Styx to be witness to my promise, the river of the oath of the gods.”

 

 

 

 

Minho had often watched the sun soaring through the heavens, always asking, “is it my father up there?”. He wondered what it would feel like, to ride in the sun chariot, steering the steeds along the winding path, lighting up the world. He had decided his request. With the most charisma he could muster, he stated “I chose to take your place, Father. That is the only thing I want. Just for a day, a single day, let me have your car to drive.”

 

 

The god realized his mistake. He had foolishly taken the fatal oath and bound himself to let his son do anything that rushed into his young head. “Dear lad” he said “this is the only thing I would have refused you. I know I cannot refuse. I have sworn by the Styx. I must yield if you persist. But I do not believe you will. Listen while I tell you what this is you want. You are Clymene’s son as well as mine. You are mortal and no mortal could drive my chariot. Indeed, no god except myself can do that. The ruler of the gods cannot. Consider the road. It rises up from the sea so steeply that the horses can hardly climb it, fresh though they are in the early morning. In midheaven it is so high that even I do not look down. Worst of all is the descent, so precipitous that the sea-gods waiting to receive me wonder how I can avoid falling headlong. To guide the horses, too, is a perpetual struggle. Their fiery spirits grow hotter as they climb and scarcely suffer my control. What would they do with you?”

 

The words didn’t seem to be getting through to the mischievous boy, so the sun god  resumed his speech.

 

 

“Are you fancying that there are all sorts of wonders up there, cities of the gods full of beautiful things? Nothing of the kind. You will have to past beasts, fierce beasts of prey, and they are all that you will see. The Bull, the Lion, the Scorpion, the great Crab, each will try to harm you. Be persuaded. Look around you. See all the good the rich world holds. Choose from them your heart’s desire and it shall be yours. If what you want is to be proved my son, my fears for you are proof enough that I am your father.”

 

 

But no form of preaching could get through to the boy. He could only picture himself proudly standing in the famous cart, steadily steering the horses with ease.  He did not feel a single drop of fear. Nothing could stop Minho from what he wanted.

 

 

 

 

As he boarded the chariot, the east of the east gleamed purple, Dawn had opened courts. All was ready.The gates flew open, the signal for him to begin.  Minho could not change his mind now. Not that he wanted to, a rush of adrenalin coursing through his veins as the fast winds tossed his body around the car. He rode through the clouds of vapor, feeling them dissipate at his touch.  For a few precious moments, Minho thought of himself as Lord of the Sky.

 

This feeling did not last forever, as the cart was suddenly being whipped to and fro, gaining speed.

 

 

 

He had lost control.

 

 

 

 

The horses did not listen to the teens commands. Nothing could stop them now, having the freedom they had so craved. Almost hitting the Scorpion, they ducked under the clouds, dangerously close to earth. By this time, poor mortal Minho had fainted in the chariot, laying listless on the floor.

 

 

Panicking, the horses flew lower, catching the surface of the earth. The highest mountains were the first to burn, Ida and Helicon, where the Muses reside. Down their slopes flames ran into the low rising valleys and lush forests, setting everything ablaze. Rivers shrank as the water evaporated into the air, steam making it  impossible to see.  

 

 

In the car, Minho was wrapped the the thick smoke of the fire. His chocolate shaded hair was submerged in flames, burning the pale skin of his face. Forced to close his chestnut colored eyes, pain bearing to much on his body.  He wished the suffering to end. He would have gladly welcomed death. Mother Earth shared the feeling, and reached up to Olympus, begging to be saved. The gods knew that if they didn’t act fast, everything would be in ruins. Knowing it was all he could do, Zeus hurled his mighty thunderbolt at the rash, unconscious driver. It shattered the chariot, not without also striking the poor boy inside dead.

 

 

Minho, in flames, fell to the earth like a heavy rock. The enigmatic river Eridanus, whom no mortal has ever seen, put out the teens flames and cooled the body. In pity of a boy so bold and so young to die, the naiads buried the lifeless boy in a beautiful tomb, covered in intricate markings, telling the sad tale of his demise.



 

"Here Minho lies who drove the sun-gods car.

Greatly he failed, but he had greatly dared. "

 

                                                                                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Again, thank you for reading, and plase leave a comment telling me what I could do better with next time? I'm really thinking about making a chapter with Taemin's reaction to his 'best friends' death. Should I?

Also, please check out my other story based on Greek myth, Siren

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/603206/siren-hyunmin-jonghyun-jongtae-taemin

 

Its not uploaded yet, but It will be shortly. Its Jongtae :D