December Seventh

XOXO Advent

December 07, 2013

It was bound to happen at some point. None of them realised the weather had changed until they considered leaving the warm café and realised that snow was gathering. It had been slabs of hoarfrost before; frozen drops of dew suspended like bubbles of crystal on the window panes, and each breath drawn accented with great plumes of white.

Luhan took a small sip of his bubble tea, wrapped up in a warm coat to ward off the chill. He sat between Kai and Sehun, who were pressed up against him.

Aren't you glad we're not out there?” Kai murmured, inclining his head towards the soft flakes drifting down from the skies above.

Very,” Luhan said.

Luhan was trying to ignore the feeling that they were being watched. He wasn't paranoid; they genuinely were being watched.

As with any public appearance, the fans immediately noticed their presence. There were camera phones with their dark eyes gleaming, pointing in their direction. Luhan skimmed his gaze around the room – the soft clink of cutlery and the hollow thump of cups setting on wooden tables, the low murmur of conversation, a typical modern establishment – and felt his ears twitch at the sound of young girls giggling a few seats away.

Okay, now he was paranoid.

Relax, Lu,” Kai said with a smile. “You're tensing up.”

Luhan apologised. “I'm just nervous. I found something I thought someone would like. I just don't want anyone overhearing – it'll ruin the surprise.”

Sehun nodded in understanding and folded his arms over the table. “Don't worry, just keep it hidden.”

Kai's lips twitched. He looked at Sehun knowingly. “Speaking of surprises, we have one for you.”

Luhan's eyes widened as Kai produced an oddly shaped bag from his rucksack. It was long, vaguely triangular but flat. He watched as the other pulled out a pair of great antlers and presented it to him.

It was a pair of great antlers like that on a reindeer. The plastic band was a bright festive green, and the antlers themselves a bright berry red. It even had tiny brown ears, curved pieces of fake fur.

Put these on.”

There was a definite collective intake of breath and, dare he say it, squeals of delight from all around. Luhan laughed as he took the headband and slotted it over his hair. Sehun and Kai both applauded with glee.

After that the conversation turned to playful banter. They left the café and stepped out onto the white-covered streets.

Luhan started sniffling immediately. “Want to go for a wander 'round? See if there's anything new we can buy?”

Something large pelted the back of his head. The dancer stumbled and whirled around – and backed away.

Chen, no. Don't you dare. CHEN!

Chen sported the biggest eating grin as he hurled another great lump of snow, this time at Kai. Kai's arms flew up to protect his face, and Tao took advantage of the distraction to shove a ball down the back of Sehun's shirt.

TAO!” Sehun bellowed, scrambling away, tugging at the hood of his coat.

Luhan found himself being picked up in a strong grip, and he kicked desperately in an attempt to free himself. “No! No! No! No! N- BAEK!

Grab him, Xiu! Quick!”

Luhan could only thrash and shout No. He thought when Chanyeol caught his vision, he might be saved, but just as he called out for aid, Chanyeol was set upon by Suho and Kris.

Baekhyun and Xiumin spun him around and laughed. Luhan was admittedly fearing more for his antlers than for his own safety.

Lay had the sense to try and stay out of it, but that backfired when he was noticed. Luhan was promptly dropped and Baekhyun and Kyungsoo made a run for him.

Sehun wrapped arms around his waist and hoisted him to his feet. “Luhan, quick, get up! Grab some snow, we need to defend ourselves--oof!

Luhan yelped as a white orb impacted with his cheek. When he looked up to see his attacker he noted that Suho looked inordinately smug. His expression soon changed when they attacked and tackled him to the ground, clawing up sprays to bury him under.

Mutiny had never been so fun.

Until Chen dumped more down their backs, the wanker.