December Seventeenth

XOXO Advent

December 17, 2013

 

Aurora Vantage , Team EXOK

Suho, Chanyeol, Kai, Baekhyun

 

Firelight provided the only semblance of light in the winter landscape. Snow had fallen since before they had entered the caverns, where the tunnels themselves were carved in ice by the jaws of something gargantuan, and it was for that reason why D.O and Sehun had been left on standby. Cold did little to bother D.O, whose rocky armour could protect him from most things, but the Pokémon that dwelled in this arctic region were as inhospitable as their environment was.

 

They had traversed and explored almost every inch of the previous three floors in search of their quarry. EXO was a rescue team with two units; K and M, whose current mission was to locate a young, frightened Hoppip who had been blown in on the cold north wind. They had only set off an hour before as soon as they had woken up, but the Hoppip was as evasive as an Abra in a labyrinth.

 

A Milotic wheeled around as colour flitted in the peripheral of his vision; a reflection on the ice, but one he was thankful for. It allowed him to exhale a swollen, hissing gust of thick, encompassing mist that swallowed them from the sight of the residents. Shards of sharp ice whizzed around them, bouncing off of the ethereal, wispy aura that the beautiful serpentine Pokémon summoned. A tense silence followed, then quiet.

 

A liquid shadow floated through the air as though it were water. As they passed through the lips of one tunnel and moved into another room the ghost type passed right through part of the wall. “Do you sense anything, Chanyeol?”

 

This new room was not as large as the last but the rows upon rows of stalactites and stalagmites lining the walls made them feel unsettled. Their minds supplied them with an unhelpful comparison of venturing into the gaping jaws of a Sharpedo the size of a Wailord, which was something they hadn't experienced but figured might be somewhat worthy of comparison. Drops of melting ice fell all around them. Abruptly, the snowfall ceased.

 

The Hoppip is being carried downwind, Kai,” Chanyeol explained, wary of speaking too loud lest they disturb the ice formations. “Unless I walk into a crosswind I can't detect it by scent.” Ebony claws dug into the ground underneath his feet as the large canine attempted to track the wayward grass type. Being a fire type granted him the ability to elevate his temperature, and while his thick insulated coat helped him to keep warm, it melted that which he neared. A soft pink orb snuggled into a cream mane around his neck blinked out into the darkness. Chanyeol asked kindly, “Are you feeling better, Baek?”

 

Baek didn't have as much immunity to their environment as his other team mates. Suho had long, shining scales to ward off the cold. Kai, being a ghost type, wasn't phased by the temperature until it became extreme, and Chanyeol had his pelt. Baekhyun had almost turned blue a minute after entering the dungeon. “I need a cape,” he mumbled. “Maybe some shoes. Why didn't you just ask Xiumin to come?”

 

The question was directed at Suho, who slithered cautiously through mid-air. Chanyeol padded towards the base of a slope that would lead them up onto a platform. He could just make out a series of alcoves, or what seemed like them at least. “Because Team Infinite asked if Xiumin could ferry them across Corsola Reef this afternoon, and Kris took some of the others to Vagabond Valley last night.”

 

Vagabond Valley was a notorious spot for prisoners to use as an escape route. The land there was treacherous and near-impossible to get through. Not even Rescue Teams liked to brave that dungeon. It was said that half of the Pokémon that lived there were escapees who became trapped.

 

Who are they after?” Chanyeol inquired, swivelling one tapered ear towards the stratosphere.

 

I wasn't told,” Suho murmured. “It must be nasty for them to go out during the night, though. I think they got called out by the Guildmaster.” Kris would never take his team there during the daytime, let alone when the moon was rising. “Team SHINee went there once. They all got knocked out within seconds.”

 

But that was when they were a Bronze Rank!” Baekhyun's eyes gleamed with pride and he bounced slightly on Chanyeol's rocking shoulders. “EXO-M is a Gold Rank. There's no way Kris or any of the others will get whited out—er, what's that?”

 

They had reached the platform overlooking the cavern. It led higher up but the troupe stopped upon Baekhyun's question. The wall was pockmarked but there was something staring out at them from the shadows of one. A single set of narrowed eyes, much like a Voltorb.

 

Fur along Chanyeol's spine bristled. Kai barely had time to warn, “Get away from there, Ch- move!

 

Chanyeol made to dart aside but a jet of water intercepted him. Non-retractable claws scourged trails as it forced him right back towards the edge. Kai immediately himself between the two, targeting the Cloyster with Confuse Ray. Menacing eyes illuminated; the Cloyster's growl was concealed by an Ice Beam that froze the air beneath Chanyeol's hind paws as they began to slip off.

 

Thanks, Suho!”

 

Suho tipped his head towards the ceiling and flew upward towards the slope. “No time for fighting. We need to find Hoppip before it freezes to death!”

 

They raced on ahead as quick as they could. Suddenly a Misdreavus hovered into the open, and Baekhyun called, “Kai!”

 

Kai turned around to face them and smiled. “I found where Hoppip is. It's in that direction.” He pointed, indicating with a nod which direction he meant. “But there's a Monster House up ahead full of water types. Dewgong, Walrein, Vaporeon – and they're pretty pissed. I only peeked out and they almost ripped my face off.”

 

And it's such a pretty face, too,” said Baekhyun.

 

Chanyeol peered at him. “I'm not surprised. I mean, if I saw you creeping through a wall, staring at me, I'd want to rip your face off, too.”

 

Don't make me Perish Song you both,” Kai grumbled.