December Thirteenth

XOXO Advent

December 13, 2013

Making a snowdeer was not as easy as making a snowman. For one thing the head kept falling off, too heavy for the neck to support, which led to them repeatedly picking it off the ground and plonking it back on.

Lay was working on the forelegs … and he could not feel his fingers. Kyungsoo was standing in the doorway with his arms folded over his chest and wide eyes half-mast. After getting sick from a snowball fight once before, they were out in it again. The chef was not amused. At the time Lay had waved him off – he was overreacting, they'd be fine! – but now?

Oh god, he wanted nothing more than to crawl over (his feet were numb, too) on his hands and knees and beg a cup of hot chocolate from him. One with pink and white marshmallows slowly melting in the heat and a sprinkling of cocoa powder on whipped cream. Lay could just picture it now.

When Lay realised he was staring, Kyungsoo shook his head in silent disapproval and stalked back inside. He whimpered slightly when the door swung shut and turned back to his endeavour.

This was torture. It was his own idea – housemate bonding and all that, trying to get Tao and Kai to stop trying to intimidate each other with their macho strutting and head-melting glares on Kai's part – and it . Why had he thought of this? Why not Kris, since it was his job to keep EXO-M in line? Lay wished Tao had the ability to manipulate time so he could get the maknae to turn it back and smack him over the head until he was too concussed to think, let alone land himself in this.

It was lucky Kyungsoo was so forgiving.

The head fell off for the umpteenth time, and Chanyeol kicked a chunk of its face off.

Wondering whether he could sneak away, he sculpted the hoof and then helped smooth out the shoulder of the deer, patting down the neck as Chanyeol and Kai attempted to recreate a passable face.

Do you know what that looks like?” he commented when he stood back, shoving his hands under his arms.

Chanyeol paused and studied it carefully. “Er, it looks like a head.”

Looks more than just a head,” Lay muttered.

Chen pelted the back of Kai's head with a snowball. He and Tao hadn't even come out to help. They'd come out to take the piss. And they were doing it well, unfortunately.

At least until Kai chased them both inside.

Lay couldn't take the chill any more. He headed inside to where the rest of the troupes were and jumped in the shower. At first it hurt, the hot water cascading down onto his skin, but after a moment he was filled with deep satisfaction. When he came out, refreshed and warmed, he draped himself over the first person he saw and smiled.

If you're on my bed, Lay, I swear...”

Luhan announced himself and Lay continued to read one of Luhan's gamer magazines. It took five seconds for him to be booted off. Not even that, but Luhan snatched it from his hands and smacked him over the head with it before prying him over the foot of his bed.

Lay landed on the floor and rolled over, blinking up at Luhan sadly. “Lu, come on...”

No,” Luhan rolled up his makeshift bat and raised it. “It's my bed, not yours.”

But it's comfy!”

Good thing you have your own.”

I let you sit on my bed,” Lay mumbled mutinously. Of course he didn't mean it, but it earned him another warning swat.

For a while they lay in silence. Lay didn't move from the floor immediately, and Luhan might have figured out his plan: if he stayed close by for a bit, maybe he'd let him up. But like a dog on a sofa, it was forbidden. Luhan glared at him when his foot began to creep up the blanket. Lay held it there for a moment, and consequently got chased out of the room.

So he went to hassle Junmyeon, who was on the phone to the manager.

He sat down and waited until the leader turned and looked at him before pulling a face. Junmyeon's lips thinned knowingly and he looked away, but it wasn't long before he was back to pacing around the room. He had to turn around unless he wanted to kiss the wall, and Lay was waiting for him.

With one hand moving up and down above his lap, head thrown back, eyes wide and mouth wide open.

Junmyeon's words turned into a squeak and he sputtered and snickered. “Lay, stop it!”

I caaan't,” he gargled.

Excuse me one moment,” the leader murmured, pulling the phone from his ear. “Lay, are you serious?”

No, but I'm funny if that helps.”

Can you go somewhere else?”

I can,” Lay said.

A moment passed. Junmyeon waited.

Lay clapped his hands against his thighs and looked around. “Nice in here, isn't it?”

Junmyeon threw the ceiling a look and padded down the hallway for privacy.

Lay followed, drawling, “Nooo … Junmyeon, please don't go. I love you.”