The New Assistant

A Lost Memory in Mokpo

Jessica woke up with the shooting pain from her ankle. She had already rested for a few days at home. Even though the producer gave her a two-week break from “Mission for Two”, Jessica wanted to get back to her work as soon as possible.

 

was dry from waking up. She turned to her bedside table and was disappointed by the empty glass. As Jessica struggled to put minimal pressure on her right foot to get her own water, she heard someone entering through the front door.

 

“Yuri? Is that you?” Jessica could have leapt with joy if she was not hurt. “Can you please get me some water?”

 

She heard some clamouring in the kitchen, then a set of footsteps was approaching her bedroom. She was shocked to see Donghae appearing in the doorway holding a glass of water.

 

He sauntered towards her bedside and sat down, “Here's your water, princess. Anything else you want me to get for you?” Jessica was now gaping at him. Donghae laughed at how silly she looked.

 

“Why are you here?”

 

Donghae put on a stern expression, “If you took care of yourself better, then I wouldn't be here. Tiffany told me everything,” he shuddered a little. Tiffany's flames had left him a scar in his mind. “Why didn't you tell me that you're hurt?”

 

Jessica sank deeper into her blanket, “I know you would be crying if I've told you.”

 

“Aish! It's all Kyuhyun's fault! I thought he was  trustworthy enough to protect you. He should have at least told me about hurting you.”

 

“No. It's not him! I was the one being stubborn. I insisted to keep on filming. Kyuhyun actually helped me a lot,” smiled Jessica gratefully. She wondered why Kyuhyun did not relate the incident to Donghae like he was suppose to.

 

Jessica's expression did not escape the other man's notice, “I see you're having a great time with Kyuhyun. Spill all the beans now!”

 

Jessica spotted the perfect chance to keep Fishy on edge, “I'm not the type to kiss and tell.” She smiled with secrecy.

 

“Yah, Jung Soo Yeon! Tell me everything right now! ... Or else...,” smirked Donghae mischievously.

 

“Or else...?” Jessica put the blanket between her and Donghae as a shield. Her giddiness lessened her pain.

 

“Or else these monsters will come for you!” Donghae reached under her blanket and started tickling her.

 

“No!” Jessica laughed gleefully. “S-Stop it!” she was short of breath from the attacks.

 

Donghae was enjoying this too and laughed at the writhing Jessica, “I want to hear the truth.”

 

“This isn't fair. Stop torturing me!”

 

The two finally broke apart from the game when he received a text from Jung Hoon.

 

“I need to go now,” Donghae abruptly got up from her bed. “I'm going on 'Running Man' today.”

 

Jessica pouted and Donghae patted her head, “Stay in bed 'til you got better, okay? Don't give Kyuhyun a hard time either.”

 

She threw her pillow at him, “I never gave anyone a hard time, except you!”

 

Donghae coolly waved his goodbye. He did not consider the deeper meaning of the girl's words as he left Jessica all alone.

 

***

 

The office printer hummed lowly. It was afraid of disturbing the workers dealing with the company's affairs. Sung Ah absentmindedly stared at the papers being spit out of the machine. Her mind drifted back to the time when she had first found out that she got the job... 

 

Sung Ah's phone had been too nervous to ring. The girl had a staring contest with the phone for the past thirty minutes. Beethoven and Chopin had been forgotten in the corner. Sung Ah had been getting mad at the phone's stubbornness. Why hasn't Dumbo called already? Sung Ah had been dying to know the terrible things that had happened to her friend. The guilt had been killing her.

 

Ding, dong! She tore herself away from the sweating phone to answer the door. She almost tackled the guest at first sight.

 

“Ah!” She screamed with delight. “It's you!”

 

Donghae's head cocked to one side, “I didn't know you'd miss me.”

 

Sung Ah ignored Donghae's comment, “What happened to you? Are you okay? I've seen the pictures. Sorry, oppa!

 

“Whoa. Slow down, Puffy,” Donghae stepped around her to enter SNSD dorm. “Did you just call me 'oppa'?”

 

Sung Ah blushed, “So what? You are older than I am. Yah! Don't change the subject. Did you get into trouble because of me?”

 

Donghae sat down on the couch, burying his head between his thighs. Sung Ah also sat beside him and wrapped her comforting arm around his shoulders.

 

“I'm sorry, Dumbo,” said Sung Ah remorsefully, until the guy's shaking body moved her.

 

“Why are you laughing?” asked the confused Sung Ah.

 

“Huh? No, I wasn't. Of course you gave me a load of trouble. Super Junior, especially Jung Hoon hyung, will have a major headache because of you.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Because you're going to be our assistant!”

 

“Really?!” Sung Ah did not hear him right, did she? She just transformed from a jobless troublemaker to Donghae's assistant in a split second! “Thank you, oppa!” Sung Ah had a hard time containing her joy. She did not realized that she was already enveloping Donghae into a tight hug.

 

Donghae blushed like an elementary schoolboy, startled by the unexpected affection. Her faint scent of sweet alyssum clung onto Donghae himself. He returned the warm embrace without any hesitation. It was the most natural thing for him to do.

 

“Why are you like this?” Donghae asked softly, all the while when his heart was speeding. “What happened to pinning me down like you used to whenever good things happened?”

 

Sung Ah let go off Donghae, dazed. She had him in a headlock immediately after the realization hit her.

 

Despite of the heat crawling to her cheeks, she had managed to accuse the guy, “How could you say something so suggestive? Get out of here.” Donghae had been kicked off the coach. Sung Ah then had sat on his back, “Now I'm pinning you down like the good old time.” She had resumed beating the idol up and menacingly laughed.

 

“I'm sorry, Puffy. Please get off me!” Donghae had laughed and cried...

 

“Sung Ah, why are you laughing to yourself?”

 

Sung Ah's daydream disappeared at the sound of Jung Hoon.

 

“Hello, Jung Hoon oppa,” then she recalled. “Oh! The coffee is on your table already.”

 

“Thank you. Next week is going to be super busy. We're all going to Bangadari Spring for the SJ-M photo book ...”

 

Sung Ah could barely make out what Jung Hoon had to say next. My first business trip! Her face turned red knowing that Donghae would also be there.

 

“Where's the boss?!” came a demanding voice from outside.

 

“Gee, it's Heechul again. I've instructed him to tell me every time before he comes into the office. Sorry, Sung Ah. I need to work now. I'll tell you the details later.”

 

Sung Ah returned to the working printer. She could hardly wait for the arrival of the promising trip. She laughed once more at the defeated Dumbo begging for her mercy.

 

***

 

Tiffany had informed Jessica of many events taken place when Jessica was recovering from her injury.

 

To her dismay, Donghae had gotten into trouble with the netizens because of Sung Ah. On top of the scandal, her cousin now became an assistant of Super Junior. Jessica's lip curled with contempt.

 

Jessica took a deep breath. The fragrant of the mountains and the spring had some soothing effects on her. It was also Tiffany's idea to have a surprise visit at the Bangadari Spring. At first, Jessica had been reluctant to act like a clingy girlfriend who follows her boyfriend around, especially when she and Donghae were not even together yet. In the end, she was pursued by Yuri and her innermost desire. Besides, Jessica badly needed a vacation. She grabbed her towel and headed toward the spring.

 

“Jessica, what are you doing here?” She was met by someone familiar down the hall – it was her current co-star.

 

"Hello, Kyuhyun,” greeted Jessica politely. “I didn't think I would see you here.” She was partly telling the truth. She did not expect meeting Kyuhyun alone.

 

“SJ-M is having a photo shoot here. The others will be here later,” then he noticed her kimono and the towel. “I'm going to the spring too. Let's go.”

 

Jessica gingerly followed his lead. She suddenly felt shy and uneasy. She stared at Kyuhyun's back and remembered her own stubbornness last time. She got even more uncomfortable.

 

“It's so beautiful here!” exclaimed Kyuhyun as the two stepped outside.

 

Jessica forgot about the awkwardness right away and smiled at him, “This is the best place I've been in a long time.”

 

Kyuhyun chuckled at Jessica's lit-up face, “I'm going to the other side of the spring. See you later.”

 

Jessica told him to go aheah. She dipped into the rejuvenating spring like a woman in love. The rolling mountains, the steaming hot water, the solitude, and her pending love painted a masterpiece in Jessica's world. She could not wait to show Donghae the perfect woman he deserved.

 


 

Author's note:  So I gave everyone a lot of screen time today, especially Jessica. ;)  My foot just got hurt too from a flying frozen meat, so this is the first time that I'm feeling the pain of my own charactor. :'(.

Who do you ship in this story?  Comment and let me know. And of course I can't tell you which couple I ship... ;)

Please stay tune for the Bangadari arc!  I promise you more drama unfold!  Subscribe and find out. ;)

P.S. Thank you Heechul for the first cameo.  <3