Final Wave

Mermaid's Tears

It was only the crescent moon that lit up the starless sky on that silent night when I first heard you play that sorrowful melody - It was beautiful yet sad.

 

You were just seven and I was older than you for nine human years. I clearly remember the first night we met when you were strolling alone at the beach at midnight and I was taking my moonlight shower.

"Isn't it cold in there?" I was startled when I heard your voice. I was sure that I was alone in that cave.

"I'm sorry. Did I startle you?" you crouched down and reached your hand to me but I backed away."Who are you?" I embraced myself and turned my back on you.

"I'm Jiaheng. I reside at the beach house." you smiled.

I slowly looked at you from my shoulder. "How did you find me?"

"I followed your voice."

That night was the first time I met a human boy.

 

After some time, I saw you again outside your room at your balcony, humming into the sea breeze.

"Hey, why are you still up?" You were looking around so I waved at you. "I'm down here."

"Oh, hi Yanlei!" You waved back at me."I couldn't sleep." You frowned which remind me of a grumpy boy my grandmother told me in her story.

"Why?"

"I don't know."

"Go back to your room."

"But I can't sleep."

"Just go inside, lie down and close your eyes."

You sighed and said "Fine." and went inside. Then, I sang you a lullaby to make you sleep.

 

"Why is your tail black?"

"Huh?" I was confused by your random question. We were sitting on a rock by the shore. It became our little getaway every night.

"I thought mermaids have colorful tails like in the stories my grandpa told me." You said as you ran your fingers on my tail.

"Well...you can say that I'm different." I shrugged.

"Then, why are your ears like that?" You asked again, pointing at my ears.

I chuckled at your question. You were just a curious little boy while I was the age of a teenage human girl."Do you know what an elf is?" I asked you.

"What does it have to do with your ears?" You fired back a question, as if not caring about it. I chuckled again. You were so adorable and naïve despite the serious look you have.

"Did you notice that they have long, pointy ears?"

"Yes."

"My ears are like these so I can be distinguished from elves and humans. My ears do not have that kind of flesh like your skin. That's why they have the same color with my tail." I explained to you in the easiest way you could understand.

"And your hand?" You asked as you touched my webbed hand and played with it.

"I don't know."

"You don't know?" You tilted your head.

I shook my head, "I don't, Jiaheng."

 

You came crying to me one night. You said you were going to leave the next day. You'll be living in a faraway place called Canada. Of course, it pained me. There's no way I could bear not seeing you again.

"I don't want to." You looked down and clenched your fists. "I don't want to leave Yanlei behind." You bit your lip, holding back the tears.

"But you have to." I embraced you and let your head rest on my chest. That night, you cried hard in my arms as big waves crashed into the dikes.

 

On the first new moon of the ninth year since you'd left, I heard that melody being played again. It was longer than before yet still incomplete.


"You haven't changed." a low voice echoed through the cave. It was a young man's voice - it was you. I didn't recognize you that time so I asked, "Who are you?"

"It's me, Jiaheng." you sat at the edge of the cave pool and dipped your legs in the water. I stared at you. You were different. You grew taller and your hair was longer than the last time I saw you. You were not the little boy who I used to play with anymore – you were a young man.

"Jiaheng?" I swam near you and touched your left cheek.

"Yes." you held my hand but I pulled away. "You've changed."

"I've grown up."

 

"Jiaheng, what's that melody?" You went near the rock where I sat. You were swimming in the waters just like the old times.

"What melody?" you rested your head on your arm as you leaned on the rock, looking straight into my eyes.

"The one you play every night."

"Oh...that...” You looked away and stared at the water. "My grandpa composed it but he passed away without finishing the whole song. So, I decided to finish it for him." You said, still looking at the water. The look on your face made me think that the song was really meaningful to you because your grandfather made it. So I asked you."Jiaheng?"

"Hmm?"

"Can I listen to the song when it’s done?"

"Why?" You suddenly looked at me with wide eyes.

"Mermaids have this ability to understand something that can't be expressed through words. It doesn't have lyrics yet, right?"

"Yes."

"If it's done, I can tell you the meaning behind that sad melody."

 

At night, we watched the moon shone brightly in the sky and I listened to you every time you play the piano. During day time, we would swim to the depths of the sea and explore. When there's a storm, you listened to me singing inside the cave until the rain stopped.

One time, on our adventure underwater, you couldn't breathe so I swam to you and kissed you to give you some air. After that, you kept your distance from me as if I've done something wrong. I didn't ask what bothered you though. A few moments later, we rose up from the water to gasp for air and swam to the shallow part where you dried yourself.

"Yanlei, is it true that mermaids lure humans to their death and eat them to become beautiful?" You twisted your shirt to remove some water from the cloth.

"Oh? Where did you get that?" I carefully propped myself up on a nearby rock.

"Well, I just heard people talking about it." you hung your shirt around your neck.

"That's different from what I've heard."

"What do you mean?" You fixed your eyes on me, brows furrowing.

"Well, I've heard the other way around. They say humans eat our flesh to become beautiful and immortal but some of them became hideous monsters instead. There's also something about drinking our tear but eventually died because of a curse."

"I guess mermaids and humans are equally selfish, huh?" You played with the sand, throwing some of it to the water.

"Yeah, I guess so." I looked down at my tail and thought of having a pair of legs like you. It made me happy, thinking that I will be able to walk with you.

"Hey, do you know about the 'Mermaid Tale'?" Your sudden question somehow managed to get me out of my thoughts.

"W-what?" I turned to you and blinked a few times.

"You weren't listening to me, were you?"

"I was--I just--"

"Liar." You threw some sand with a little force.

"What is it, then?" I asked, interested about the tale.

"It's nothing. You won't even listen to me." You continued murmuring to yourself.

"How would I know if you won't tell me?"

"How would I tell you if you won't listen to me?" You retorted.

"How can I listen to you if you're just like that?" I asked you again.

"Aish." You stood up and dusted off the sand.

"Where are you going?" I immediately asked.

"I need to cool my head."

You left me staring at you. In the end, you forgot to tell me the story.

 

"Yanlei!" You came running towards me with a smile plastered on your face. I was just sitting by the seashore, waiting for the waves to splash my tail.

"What is it?" You sat beside me and searched your pockets, brows furrowed and tongue stuck out a little to the corner of your lips. "Ah!" There was relief in your eyes. "Here..." you took out a round, shimmering object - a black pearl and handed it to me.”I found it when we were at that coral reef garden you took me. It was the only black one so I took it."

"It's beautiful." I muttered while feeling the pearl on my palm. "You should keep it." I gave back the pearl to you.

"Somehow, this pearl reminds me of you." You said while looking at the pearl on your hand. "It's rare - like you." There was sadness flickered on your eyes.

"Is something wrong?" I tilted my head to see your face but you looked away.

"Nothing. It's just that..." You heaved a sigh and looked back at me. "I'm leaving, Yanlei."

"Again?" My voice was laced with sadness. I watched you lay down on the sand, shutting your eyes tightly and clenching your fists. You let out a heavy sigh and relaxed a little bit.

"Yes."

"We'll still see each other, right?"

You stared at the stars. "I'm afraid we won't."

"Why? What do you mean?" You sat up and played with your fingers.

"I can't come back here anymore. I'm sorry." You stopped meddling with your fingers and bit your lip.

"I'll find you." I stared at the sea and forced a little smile even though I wanted to cry. But I couldn't, I needed to be strong for you, for me, for us.

"But you're a mermaid!" You looked at me with disbelief. "You can't possibly go up in the human world! What if something will happen to you and I am not there to protect you?! What if you'll die in someone's hand?! What if--" I stopped you with a peck on your lips and placed my forefinger on them. "Sshh..."

You reached for my hand and held it in yours. You closed your eyes and there were tears streaming down your face.

 

'Don't need a map to guide me

My heart will find the way to go

Don't care how long it takes me

No matter what, I'll fight through every foe

My heart beats just for you; there is no moment that I'd forget you

If only your shadow was on the distant horizon above the sea

I raise my sail for the long quest

Riding the wing with no rest, whoa~

Let the raging sea become quiet and calm.

Flowers bloom in the night, moonlight makes the sea white in this secret place

You're my beautiful black pearl

My beautiful black pearl'

I finished singing and stared at you. I traced my fingers on the contours of your sleeping face and wiped off my tears that fell on your lips. That moment, I thought I needed to be human. So, I took the riskiest thing that a mermaid could ever do...

 

The full moon rose up. The time for me had come to see you again.

 

I stood up again, supporting my weight by holding onto the railings, feeling the coldness of the steel; I was amazed by the ability of a human's hand. It didn't stop there though, my tail was replaced by a pair of trembling legs; I touched my ears - it was like yours - I was human.

I stretched my one arm sideward while the other held on the railings. Trying not to fall, I tried to balance myself while walking. I wobbled on my way and stumbled again. I sighed and tightened my grip. How would I see you with my state? I loosened my hands and slumped on the floor, leaning my back on the cold steel. I was hopeless and out of breath.

"Yifan!" I opened my eyes and immediately caught sight of a girl running through the sea of people, occasionally pushing and bumping them. She stopped her tracks in front of a door and knocked. It was not long after the door was opened and she went inside. Then, I saw her stepped out of the room with someone. "Jiaheng..." Your name came out of my lips the moment I saw that guy's back. "Jiaheng...” My shaky hands reached for the railings and I stood up. "Jiaheng." I took a step, I finally found you! "Jiaheng!" I shouted as your silhouette disappeared through the crowd.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as I tried to walk. I was getting used to it because my pace was improving. I started to walk faster then ran, looking for you through many people. "Yifan!" I halted at the sound of that voice. It was her again. I peeped through a tiny hole and saw her arms around your waist; looking at you with a sweet smile. "I love you, Wu Yifan...”

I turned away and held my hand on my chest while the other clenched into a fist. "Yifan...Jiaheng..." I muttered. A tear rolled down my cheek.

 

The moon was covered with dark clouds. A violent storm had fallen.

 

I stood outside your cabin at the balcony, watching you play the piano. "You came here to kill me?" You stopped playing and turned to look at me.

"I came here to listen." I smiled and took a step to decrease some distance between us.

"You didn't answer my question." You frowned.

"Well, I have a lot of questions." I stated. "...that need answers."

"Yanlei...I…"

"Who are you?"

"I'm Wu Yifan."

"Who's Li Jiaheng then?"

"Yanlei..."

"Who is he?!" Lightning flashed then the roar of a thunder came.

You sighed and shut your eyes. "Me."

A wave struck the ship.

"Your promise..." I muttered, a hand gripping on my trident. "You're not going to break it, aren't you?"

"Yanlei, It's not yet--"

"Liar!" I raised my voice. "Play it."

"I can't...” You looked away, eyes glistening with tears.

"Don’t make me force you." My trident glowed as I gritted my teeth.

"If you say so..." You sat down and looked at the piano keys. "But I'm warning you. Once I play, I can't stop as long as the whole song is not finished."

"What do you mean?" I looked at you with confusion. Somehow, I couldn't comprehend what you said.

You didn't answer me. Instead, you sighed and were hesitant at first. After making up your mind, you traced the piano keys with your fingers and closed your eyes then you stopped on a certain key and started to play.

 

At the moment you started playing, images started to appear - A revelation unfolded before me.

 

There were two lovers – a mermaid and an aspiring artist. The young man had a secret: he was the prince of the land and was sent to live near the shore. He fell in love with the mermaid princess of the ocean after hearing her beautiful voice singing to his masterpiece.

 

"Stop it!" I covered my ears with my hands but you didn't stop.

"Stop playing!" I shut my eyes tight. My head was filled with visions.

 

The lovers were happy despite their forms. But the prince had to leave and returned back to the castle. They couldn’t do anything about it and so, a promise was made. The prince said that he would come back for the mermaid and left as the mermaid sat on a rock, crying as she stared at the back of her lover.

The mermaid waited every night. She would even sing the song the prince had made, hoping she would hear the piano being her accompaniment but there was no sound except for the whistling of the wind and the crashing of the waves.

 

"Stop!" I screamed and broke down, tears streaming down my face.

 

Then one night, the mermaid princess heard the news about the prince getting married to a princess of another kingdom nearby. She was furious and hurt. Her cries caused the destruction of her palace and her rage was the reason of the death of many sailors.

The mermaid princess became human and went to see the prince, a knife in her grip. She was surprised to see her former lover sitting on his bed, waiting for her as if expecting her arrival. Her hands shook and she trembled. She can’t kill him after all.

The prince told her it would be alright as long as she won’t disappear into seafoam like what happened in the legend. He would be fine as long as she lives.

The last picture was the prince lying as the mermaid held him in her arms, the knife buried on his chest. He was smiling as he wiped the mermaid's tears, only to realize he was crying too. He closed his eyes as dawn broke into the sky.

 

You finished playing and stood up, staring down at me. I stared back at you.

"You knew about it?"

"It was my grandfather's story...He was 'the prince'. The only difference was that my grandfather didn’t wake up in time to save to save the mermaid princess and so, she disappeared into seafoam."

"Since when did you figure it out?"

"When I finished the whole song. I remembered grandpa telling me that he didn't get to be with his first love...because she was different."

"But why?" I stood up and walked closer to you.

"I didn't want you to be like the mermaid princess! I don't want you to suffer the same fate! It'd be too much for me to handle!" You kneeled and broke down into tears, clutching the end of my dress.

I crouched down to your level and held your face. "Don't cry...It'll be fine." I smiled.

 

A voice broke out and screams were heard. There was a whirlpool spotted not far away from the ship.

"Yanlei...take me with you." Your eyes were pleading to me.

"What about them?" I gazed at the door that was continuously knocked by people asking for you to come out.

"Please..."

“What about her?”

“I don’t love her.”

 

"You know what?"

"What?"

"I loved the way those black pearls adorned your long, black, beautiful flowing hair that falls down your pearl-white skin." You smiled at me. "I also loved the reflection of the moon in your dark eyes." You played with my hair. I smiled and fondled with your hair too.

"The sun is rising..." You looked outside of the window.

"And yet, we're setting..." I followed your gaze and saw the sparkling waters of the sea.

 

We went down with the moon alongside the wrecked ship and we weren’t seen after that.


cr: silv3rt3ar