Like a Rainbow Firework

That Different Concert

Standing with a few other security guards Bom stared up at the stage; thrilling to the beautiful man above it now bending his whole body into the powerful notes of melting perfection flowing from his lips. He was beautiful.  He would soon be married to her.  Still thrilling to the wonderful perfection flowing through her, Bom examined her thoughts.  She had never spent much time searching for a handsome boyfriend.  With 2NE1 and especially Dara Bom had laughed and joked about marrying a “flower boy” or marrying someone with “a good body.”  But the only thing Bom had truly longed for in any man was a desire to make her trust him.  In Daesung she found not only that desire but also a natural tendency to care for and protect her.  It was only some months after Bom first realised she love Daesung, that she began loving his looks as well.

 As the last notes of I Love You dropped from Daesung’s lips and hung in the awed hush over his audience, Bom dropped her face into her hands and let her body crumple in gleeful ecstasy to the strip of fake turf beneath her.  She knew Daesung sang to each and every V.I.P when he sang but that song, just that once, had definitely been sung to her and the overwhelming joy Daesung’s love brought her rendered Bom unfailingly helpless.  On her knees shivering in speechless delight and happy confusion, Bom froze, waiting.  Tonight was the night.  THE night in capitals she added mentally.  Exactly one week from now she and Daesung would be married… Bom wrapped her arms around herself and screamed silently into her knees.  One of the security guards coughed lightly; reserved displeasure in his tone and Bom instantly unwound herself and tried to look as sensible as possible.  She wasn’t feeling sensible.  She was feeling like a rainbow firework.  Over charged and ready to blow.  Then she heard Daesung began to speak over the thunderous applause rocking the stadium.  “Tonight… I want to share something with you all.  I really hope… that none of you will be sad because of this and I’m telling you now like this because…” Bom held her breath while she listened to the only man she had ever loved struggle to put his reasoning into words.  They had spent a lot of time talking this moment over.  Both of them wanted to personally make an announcement to V.I.P’s and blackjacks about their engagement but they hadn’t been able to decide on a place and time.  Daesung’s rich husky voice filled her ears again.  “We- it was decided that my final concert in Japan would be good because then, it would be even for… Ahh”  Daesung’s frustration at himself made Bom scrunch her face in delicious sympathy.  “Ahh, I’ll just tell you and explain after. It will be simpler then.”  Bom tensed, her body going rigid from pure excitement.  This was the spark to her fireworks. This… what Daesung was about to announce to all V.I.P’s and Blackjacks all over the world.  The suspense of knowing she was about to be publically known as Daesung’s fiancée had been putting Bom in fits of craziness all day.  She stood as Daesung began speaking again, slowly; the quiver in his voice reflecting the eagerness Bom was feeling.  “I need to introduce you to someone.  She is…”  he had to pause while the whole stadium screamed at the “She”.  Daesung laughed then raised his voice to speak over them.  “Ah please wait! You don’t even know who I’m talking about.  It might be my stylist noona.”  The stadium fell relatively silent although Bom knew they did not for a moment believe that Daesung was talking about his stylist.  “I’ve known this person for a very long time and she is VERY important to me.  Please welcome…”  There was silence.  Bom, who had been staring fiercely at the ground and worrying her lip in nervous anticipation, looked up and met Daesung’s gaze.  Daesung was so excited but so worried that they wouldn’t accept her.  His care and concern for her fell over Bom like a wave and she felt breathless joy rising in her; threatening to explode in screaming happiness.  With a quick flick of her head Bom told him once more that she truly did not care if they accepted her or not.  Once again she could hear herself telling him over the kitchen table that all she needed was his love and nothing else mattered.  Daesung’s smile broke over his face as he too remembered her leaning over the kitchen table shouting at him in an effort to make him fully accept what she was saying.  Then Bom’s smile fell slightly and her breath caught as she remembered Daesung’s answer.  He had stood and come round the table to her, wrapping his arms around her and burying his face in her shoulder.  “My love for you will never end Bom.  I love you more than fans, more than singing, more than my parents, more than life, more than anything else except God.  You are my wonderful unbelievable gift from God.” 

One of Daesung’s managers was trying to motion him back to the present as the audience were becoming restless.  Bom felt someone tapping her on the shoulder and broke the eye contact.  Daesung remembered where he was and brought his gaze back up to the V.I.P’s.  “Please welcome, my fiancée…” Once again a ripple went through the audience.  “Park Bom.”  Bom took the managers hand as arranged and walked up the steps, wishing she was walking by herself so she could run up the steps three at a time and fly into Daesung’s arms.  As it was, she walked demurely up the steps, turned to thank the manager before facing back onto the stage and walk towards Daesung.  At least, she was supposed to walk.  But Bom, dressed comfortably in shorts, T shirt and sneakers simply could not contain herself any longer.  Excitement bubbling from her, Bom frolicked happily over the stage and almost head-butted Daesung as she came to a halt beside him.  Smile splitting over his teeth and turning his eyes into those smiling lines that Bom loved so much, Daesung reached to put his arm around her shoulder.  “Everyone, this is my fiancée. Bom and I are getting married next week.” 

Shock at the suddenness of it ran through the audience then a moments silence as they absorbed it.  For that moment Bom could feel Daesung’s whole being pleading with his V.I.P’s to rejoice with him and accept his Bommi.  The moment ended and as one person the whole stadium of thousands upon thousands of people were on their feet screaming, clapping, cheering, stamping and waving light sticks in rhythm to their gladness for this man they all loved.  With total spontaneity, Daesung and Bom clasped hands and bowed deep and long in gratitude.  Then Daesung once again attempted to speak over the crowd.  “We decided to tell everyone here so that, Korean V.I.P’s would not feel any more left out than Bom’s blackjacks.  There have been many cases where a singer will get married but his wife receives many negative comments from his fans.  Please, do not hate my wife because I love her. If you want you can hate me but please, continue to support and love Bom and 2NE1 even though… she chose to marry me.  I still wonder why she is doing it myself sometimes.”  His mouth was still open to continue pleading with his fans but Bom nudged him.  like a giant wave, all the people who were, just a moment ago jumping up and down; were becoming still then falling slowly onto their knees, giving Daesung and his engaged the highest respect they possibly could.  Bom stared out in wonder over the thousands of people all bowing in deference to the man they loved and his beloved. Then she glanced up sideways at Daesung and stepped back in shock.  Daesung was crying.  One hand over his mouth, Daesung’s body shook with sobs of relief and disbelieving gratitude as tears blurred his vision.  It was then Bom realised just how much Daesung had been worrying and also just how much his fans meant to him.  Lifting the microphone in unsteady fingers, Daesung managed a shaky, extremely heartfelt, “Gamsahabnida” into it before his overwhelming gratitude broke his vice in another sob. As the stadium raised its collective head; Daesung clipped the microphone back into its stand, turned to face Bom and took her in his arms.  The audience made no sound, no hysterical screaming for this moment.  This was something far deeper than fangirl love could ever be and they recognised it.  Then Daesung shifted away from Bom ever so slightly, locked gazes with her for a moment before bending to kiss her lightly on the nose and the stadium erupted in screams.  They stayed that way for a long time, Bom revelling in the wonderful safety she felt radiating from Daesung’s arms around her and Daesung marvelling at the amount of trust Bom had in him.  Finally they broke apart and Daesung reached the microphone again, his voice still slightly unsteady.  “Tonight has been one of the best nights of my life. I don’t know how to thank you all for that.”  While everyone began calling for an encore, Daesung turned to Bom, his eyes teasing.  “What should I do to say thank you jagiya?”  For a dizzying moment all Bom heard was the endearment and she could tell from the vibrations of the stage, that was all Daesung’s fans had heard as well.  Then her brain processed the question and she turned slightly to speak into the microphone Daesung was holding to her, watching him to make sure she was saying what he really wanted her too. 

“I think… you should… do a meet and greet.  Right here.”  Daesung’s smile widened so much Bom winced in empathy to the pain his lips must be in.  But Daesung didn’t seem to notice.  He turned back to the audience.

“Can I do that?  Will I come and talk to you all?  It might be a very late night if I talk to you all.”  He was teasing, laughing but Bom poked him, snatching the microphone back from him.

“Don’t tease them!  Go and talk to them now!”  Her vice softened and the laughter which had started ringing around at her movement died so she could be heard.  “I’ll be right here waiting for you Daesung-ah.”  In the act of walking to the edge of the stage, Daesung heard her words and froze then turned to look at her.  For a moment they were both oblivious of their surroundings as they held each other’s gaze and exchanged silent messages.  Daesung took a step backwards to hug Bom again before a disgruntled stage hand managed to flash a torch in his eyes to remind him where he was.  The stage hand was promptly cuffed and Daesung turned back towards the front of the stage while Bom grinned at his surprise and wished he had waited just long enough to hug her.

So Daesung jumped off the stage and with a couple of extremely worried managers in tow he began pushing his way through the layers of suddenly ecstatic fans.  Bom watched it and giggled.  She felt sorry for the managers.  A meet and greet on this scale had certainly never been thought of in connection with any D-Lite concert and to so suddenly have Daesung running wild in unsubdued masses of fans must be just about giving them grey hair.  Bom didn’t care.  She was feeling glad to the bottom of her heart that Daesung loved his fans so much and was able to interact with them as he was doing.  Just then she became aware of a small group of girls who had organised themselves into shouting rhythmically and untiringly for Bom to come over and talk to them.  So she went and gradually began to spread through that half of the stadium, drawing with her another couple of stressed managers. 

It was well after midnight by the time Daesung and Bom met back at the stage after managing to cover almost everyone who had come to the concert.  They stared at each for a moment then at the same time reached forward and hugged each other.  Daesung wrapped his arms around Bom as firmly as he could, feeling her melt against his form and nestling her head under his chin so he could rock her slightly.  Bom locked her arms around Daesung’s waist, felt the strength in his body as he hugged her and thanked God from the bottom of her heart for the miracle that was Daesung.  “This time next week,” Whispered Daesung, his husky voice sending shivers down Bom’s spine.  “We’ll be married.”

Bom pushed back to stare at Daesung, her expression telling him everything she could not articulate in the light of such information.  Bending forward Daesung caught her against him once more, his lips pressing into her neck as his arms tightened in hunger around her.  All Bom could hear was Daesung’s heatbeart, loud and steady in her ear.  Her own arms were locked around the body of her fiancée and as her breath caught in happiness, Bom let her whole being relax and absorb the wonder of being loved to purely by such a man as Daesung.  for the rest of the carried they remained; locked in each other’s arms, living in each other’s love.