Life Before

In The Light Of The Moon

The wind was cold as I stepped out onto my balcony. I felt a surge of pride as I over looked the city I ruled. It was prosperous and safe Leeteuk had taken great pains to make sure the strategies we used in war where worthwhile and could work. Rarely was he wrong.

The wars where tiring but if the country I had adopted as my own would be peaceful at last then it would be worth it. There was a whole population of people who relied on my judgment to keep them and their families fed and in work. But more importantly, there was some one I had to keep safe. I made a promise that my children would not grow up in a country over ran by war. Because the King of this land could not rule with stability leading to a never-ending power struggle.

I’m not going to even try to take down all the rebels in this country but I will get rid of the ones in my providence. Also, I will make sure that whatever rebels are not in my providence stay out.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Sixteen years ago

“Rachel!” I turned around to see Papa walking to me with a stern expression. My small body began to shake for fear he might spank me. Instead, he kneeled down and put his large hands on my shoulders.

“Yes papa?” I answered my voice still shaking in fear. Papa chuckled as he scooped me up and carried me down to the bottom deck.

“Naomi has been looking for you said it’s time for your tea.” He said as he sat me down into the arms of my nursemaid.

“Young Lady you know you are not allowed on board! What would happen if you fell over board? Not a single one of these brutes know how to swim! Then what would happen to you? You would drown that’s what would happen!” Naomi was tall and beautiful even a fool could see it.

She was twenty-four years old with red hair and pale skin and emerald green eyes and a slim figure. She told me she had been married once before to a man named Tom Kennedy but he had died before she had come to work for my family.

Later after teatime, I played with my dolls and went to bed. I woke up the next morning with the thunder crashing and being knocked over when ever I tried to stand. Naomi faltered as she ran to me falling occasionally whenever the force of the boat threw her around. I was afraid and held onto my bedpost of safety. Soon my father came down to the bottom deck as saw the two of us huddled together.

“Naomi we’ve been caught in a storm. The Captain is worried we might sink. He says that having women on bored is bad luck and we should throw you girls over bored. But I reminded him I was paying for this and if he got rid of ‘me daughter and her nurse he would get no pay.” Papa looked angry, relieved, and worried. I was six years old and didn’t understand all the sailors’ superstitions.

Then I was thrown across the room by the sheer force of a crash.

“I’m going to see what happened.” Papa said as he ran up deck. I wanted to follow but Naomi held me close to her.

“No Lass you don’t know what has happened. You just wait for your papa to come and tell us what happened ok?” It wasn’t a question more like she was thinking aloud to try to calm herself. She held me close to her and she started to rock back and forth.

Soon we heard screaming and gunshots. Then a man I never saw before came down and dragged us away from the boat. They tried to take me away from Naomi but she wouldn’t let me go. They forced all the survivors thankfully, which included Papa to walk for miles until we reached a town. We where taken to a man who talked in a strange language and men with swords came and forced all the men including Papa on their knees. Then they pulled out their swords and beheaded them. I let out a scream and the man took notice to me.

The men made their way to me but Naomi held to me tighter and I held on to her.

“NAOMI!” I screamed when the men dragged us down the road to another building with bars and then they threw us in and locked the door. I felt myself begin to cry and I fell to the floor covered in straw.

“They locked us up in prison Rachel. There nothing we can do but wait to be set free or be killed. The second one seems more likely than the first.” That was the last thing she said for months.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
DongHae’s Point of view


I was playing in the garden when my mother came to find me. Mother smiled at me as she walked over to me and gave me a hug.

“Donghae is this where you have been all this time? Why I have been looking everywhere for you! There is someone here to see your father. I want you to go to the prison where he is over seeing some business and tell him he needs to come home at once.” Than my mother walked off to handle other matters of the house and small matters regarding the city.

As I walked down the street people would stop and bow as I passed them. They knew that I was the Lord’s only son, and one day I will be their Lord.

When I got to the prison, the guards bowed to me. Even the prisoners bowed to me in hopes I might ask my father to clear them of their charges. Pathetic of them really, if they think that showing the nobility to respect they rightfully deserve will get them free of the punishment of the crime they committed.

I walked through the large doors on the other side of the prison and walked into the courtyard. There were beautiful gardens and a small path leading to the office house where my father did the paper work. When I reached the front door I debated wither I should knock or just go in. Before finally deciding to make my entrance as quiet as humanly possible.

When I opened the door, I saw my father alone at his desk reading an important document. And judging by the stamp on the back it had to do with the war. My father didn’t even notice I was standing in front of him. Whatever the document said it must not have pleased my father.

“Is something wrong Father?” I asked finally reveling myself to him. My father looked up from the document quickly folding it and putting it into his desk. Than he looked at me and smiled as if it would cause me to forget the stern look I had just seen.

To the people close to him my father was kind, loving and made you think this man incapable of hurting anyone. But the reality was my father was skilled in martial arts and had vast skill in many different weapons. And those who proved themselves to be a threat to the city or worse to me and my mother learned the true extent of his skills.

“Generals want me to fight Donghae. I have always tried to stay out of the war as much as possible. One day Donghae, you may have to fight in this war. And you may loose a part of yourself and I want you to remember that what ever you do to get it back. Better damn be worth it.” My father let out a heavy sigh as he stood from his desk and gave me a strong hug.

“Remember something else Donghae some things are worth the bruises and broken bones. And there are other things that are worth so much more.” he said as he did something he has rarely done before my father kissed my head.

“What kind of things Father?” I asked I was eleven years old and could have asked my father a million questions about what he was talking about. And still not have completely understood but I was certain that someday I would.

“Like protecting your lover and the children you will have together. As a man, it’s your duty to protect your family with your last breath. No one or nothing is more important than those you cherish. Donghae you die for them do you understand me? Death is what you choose if you must choose between the suffering of your lover and children you take death.”

I stupidly nodded my head at his words knowing that in a few years I would understand their true meaning.

My father’s voice was stern but somehow it seemed like he wasn’t only talking to me but himself as well. Making me wonder if the document he had read had something to do with it.

“Yes Father.” I told him earning me a nod of approval from the man.

“Now what are you doing here at the prison? Did you get into trouble and your mother sent you here for a punishment?” He asked stepping back but both of his hands remained on my shoulders to hold me incase I should try to run.

“Mother sent me to tell you that there was some one at home to see you.” I told him honestly and somehow with a steady voice as well. If Father thought I was lying he wouldn’t hesitate to spank me until I admitted the whole truth.

Father looked at me with a confused expression as he thought about what I had said.

“She sent you to come get me? She could have sent one of the servants.” The confused look remained as he started to walk out the door and I was close behind him.

As we walked through the prison, I noticed something I hadn’t noticed before a girl and a woman in a cell. They were unlike anyone I had ever seen before the girl’s hair was yellow and the woman had red hair. They were huddled together the woman was running her fingers through the girls hair.

“Father who are they?” I asked a deep sense of wanting that I had never felt before. The feeling was different because the things I had wanted before where toys and clothes and pets and a sword of my own. Now I wanted to know. Who where these people?

“Prisoners of war.” my father replied standing in front of the cell his face was calm but his eyes where hard.

“War?” I asked confused that this girl and woman who looked so innocent could be the enemy. My father nodded his face all of a sudden unreadable. He took a step closer to the cell and continued to look at the people held in it.

“About two months ago a ship landed on our shores. Lieutenant Yunho went to investigate when the people on the boat brought weapons against the troops. It became clear that these where not allies. Yunho captured the ship and brought them before me and the mercenaries where killed before they could give their services to some power seeking General with enough coin in their pocket.” My father was calm as he explained this to me and I continued to look at the girl.

Could this girl really be so dangerous? She looked as if she hadn’t eaten in days and the woman looked even worse. At first, they didn’t even look at us then the woman looked at us or at least that was the way it seemed. She seemed to look right through my father but not see him it was as if we where ghost.

“Why didn’t you kill them as well Father?” I asked suddenly afraid to hear the answer he would give me.

“Donghae we don’t kill children. We meant to take the child away and make her the ward of one of the Generals. The woman alone was going to be held in prison. However, the girl wouldn’t let go of her mother and we were forced to put them both in here.”

As I looked at the two in the cell, I couldn’t help but think they didn’t look alike at all. Both had the same skin but nothing else. The woman couldn’t possibly be this girl’s mother.

“How do you know she is the girl’s mother?” I asked my father taking my eyes away from the girl for the first time. My father also turned his gaze to me and said calmly.

“Because she called her Omoni.” My father turned to walk out of the prison ending the conversation.

We walked the rest of the way home in silence occasionally glancing at each other and giving each other a small smile. On the way people continued to bow to us and give us, pitiful disgusting looks as they asked us for things they did not deserve. Silly commoners always trying to get close to the Nobility.

When we finally returned home, the servants bowed to us and ushered us to the room where the visitor was waiting for us. Standing outside the door was my mother waiting for us. She didn’t notice us immediately but as soon as she did, she rushed to my father and embraced him.

“Sungmin it’s a general and he has a boy with him.” She told him in a hushed voice as we stood outside the door. Our guest could have very clearly heard us had we spoke louder. Father nodded as he walked into the room being the only son I followed my mother walked in and sat by the door. She put up the perfect submissive front of the guest I sat beside my father knowing my mother was dying to speak openly.

I took a good look at the people sitting in the other side of the table. The man was tall and muscular and lying beside him was his sword from the emblem I knew he was the Lord and General of the Choi clan that ruled a great providence to the south. He was as powerful as my father I realized. In all my eleven years, I never once thought such a thing was possible. Beside him was a boy a litter older than I was and he sat beside the Lord with his head low from shyness or insubordination I wasn’t sure.

My father and the other lord looked at each other with a small smile. As if they where sharing a private joke.

“Siwon it’s been to long. It must have been five years all ready sense your wedding,” my father said to Lord Siwon pleasantly who in returned nodded.

“Yes and six months sense I received word of my daughter Ha-Neul’s birth. I was in battle at the time and had to miss it and have not yet been home sense.” His tone of voice was perfectly stoic but looking at his face reveled something entirely different. That Lord Siwon wanted to have been there at her birth.

“I’m sure your child is well. However, I’m sure you didn’t wait all this time to chitchat. Let me guess who want me to rally my troops with yours?” My father’s voice suddenly lost it’s kindness and gained a hard edge. Lord Siwon laughed quietly and looked down embarrassed it seemed my father had caught on.

“Why yes I would like that but I know you Hyung. Generals have been trying to get you to join forces with them for years. I didn’t come here thinking you would change your mind for me simply because we trained under the same teacher when we where boys. No…No I came here for a different reason.” The Lord’s voice also lost it’s friendliness as he looked at my father with dangerous eyes.

“What reason could be so important that you would leave the battle field to tell me Siwon?” My father asked sounding worried as the lord nodded his head.

“Yes I bring news from the battle field. I thought you should hear it from me. Rebel groups are forming all over the country. They are completely bloodthirsty and their ranks are astounding. Common people to noble sons fight against the enemy and us. If you wave a banner, you are their enemy. They have no allegiance but to themselves.” Lord stood up and paced a small bit before deciding to return to his seat beside the boy.

“What else have you heard?” my father’s face was extremely calm as he looked at his friend. The General turned his gaze away and returned his gaze to my father reluctantly.

“I have heard tales of pillages, murders, kidnappings, and . Not only that there are generals who are raising armies and doing the same thing. Generals who claim that they fight to keep the king on the throne. When all they want to do is wreak havoc and destroy the peace we are trying to build.” His face was pure rage and his breathing uneven and hard.

“I see.” My father turned his gaze to my mother I looked at her as well. My mother stood up as she took a glance at the four of us. Her face calm as she walked and took a seat at the table with us on the other side of my father. I noticed she placed her hand on his leg and gave it a squeeze. My father placed his hand on top of hers and nodded. My mother turned her attention to the boy who like had remained silent through the entire conversation.

“Now who would you be young man?” My mother asked the boy who looked quite shocked.

“I’m Leeteuk Park Milady. Lord Siwon is my mother’s older brother.” He spoke so quickly his words seemed to run together. The rest of us started to laugh at his expense. His uncle laughed the most as he ruffled Leeteuk’s hair who didn’t seem to pleased about it.

“My nephew is fourteen and is to be my heir to my military rank and title if my wife doesn’t give me a son. He’s training along side me meanwhile.” The Lord said.

My father stood and the rest of us soon followed his lead. He shook the hands of the General and Leeteuk.

“Siwon you and your nephew are free to rest here tonight but tomorrow I want you to go home and spend time with your wife and baby.” We started to walk out of the room to go to supper.

“Who are you to order me around Hyung?” Asked the General as we walked my mother grabbed my hand as we walked. She gave me a smile and leaned in to me.

“Donghae if you want you can go play in the garden when we are done.” he gave me a wink.

Me and my mother giggled as we heard my father and Lord Siwon squabble like little children.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rachel’s Point of view

I have a secret that I can’t tell Naomi. Naomi still hasn’t spoken a word in the whole time we have been here. She didn’t know about my friend who came to see me sometimes at night. She didn’t know about Kangin Kim who was a guard at the prison where we where held. The prisoners where barely given enough food to live here. But Kangin brought food to me and Naomi after everyone in the prison had fallen asleep. He brought us Kim chi to eat and showed me how to hide it so people who walked by wouldn’t see it.

He even gave us bowls and chopsticks to eat it with. He told me that he couldn’t go to sleep at night knowing he was letting an innocent woman and child starve. I remember when we first met it had been one-week sense we had went into prison.

Back Flash

It was late at night and Naomi was asleep that is all she does most days. But I can’t sleep at all sometimes I fall asleep but never for long. So I was up looking at the moon a full moon to be exact. It’s lights lit up the cell when I heard some one say.

“Hey little girl!” It was a man and his voice was hushed so only I would hear it. I turned around to see one of the guards holding a small pot. The fact he was speaking English shocked me and I approached him cautiously.

“You speak English sir?” I asked him hold onto the bars as I looked up at him. He gave me a small smile as he nodded. He lightly set down the pot and he fiddled with the keys. He unlocked the door and with his hand told me to step back. He pushed the door open he picked up the pot and set it against a wall close by where me and Naomi slept. There was a wall so we couldn’t see the prisoners on either side. And we could only look into the cell on the other side of the hall.

“That should keep you two fed for a few days. That is if the two do you don’t eat it like pigs.” He sounded proud of what he had done though I was still confused.

“What’s in the pot Mister?” I asked pointing to the pot. He looked at me and the pot confused.

“Kim Chi.” He answered as he opened the lid reveling steamed vegetables he took a pair of sticks and picked up a piece and fed it to me.

After not eaten anything in a week Kim Chi tasted heavenly at as much as he would let me.

“What is wrong with your mother?” He asked as he looked at Naomi’s sleeping form that was facing the other wall.

“She’s my nursemaid.” I told his as I leaned into his muscular form he wrapped a strong arm around me until I fell asleep.

End Back flash

As time when on Kangin taught me, more and more Korean which I was learning quickly. I learned more and more as he taught me to speak and as I listened to the conversations of the people who walked the streets as I listened to the guards and my fellow prisoners.

I couldn’t share this with some one who almost always was asleep. She didn’t question where the Kim Chi came from but gladly ate a little food. The way she acted made it clear to Kangin she intended to let me eat most of the food and eat only a little bit. She never saw Kangin but Kangin understood from what I told him.

The more I learned to speak the language Kangin also taught me to read and write. He even snuck me workbooks during the day when he was sure no one was looking. He told me that he wasn’t this kind to just anyone. I don’t know if he meant it because the Kangin I have known has never been anything but kind.

Something else I wouldn’t tell Naomi about is the boy who comes and sees me every day. We never talked to each other but he just stands there looking at looking at him. I’m curious about the boy whose clothes look much nicer than Kangin’s. Is he rich or is his momma just a better seamstress.

One day he finally spoke to me.

“Are you an enemy’s daughter?” he asked me very quickly as his eyes darted from me to Naomi who had fallen asleep not long before he had arrived.

“I’m not an enemy’s daughter. I’m Rachel!” I told him scooting closer to the door. He let out a sigh of relief as he kneeled down and sat on the floor.

“I’m Donghae but you can call me Oppa.” He said putting his hand through the bars and grabbing mine. I took his in return and we smiled at each other.