Chapter 1

Hey Man

           The atmosphere at Sakura’s Japanese Steak, Seafood House & Sushi Bar in Glen Burnie, Maryland, was jam-packed. It was a typical Friday night where customers gravitated from miles around to enjoy the hibachi grill that Sakura’s offered. Taking a break to rest her sore feet, Stephanie Malone excused herself to the employee restroom. Once she had freshened up and took a quick glance at her appearance in the mirror, she opened the door and stepped out into the hallway.

           “When are you going to do something with your life? Make a name for yourself? It’s one thing if you don’t want to partake in the family business, but I’m not going to let you lounge around and bring shame to our family name!” Kim Hung Su, general manager of this Sakura restaurant, said in a hushed tone. Stephanie knew the conversation was not meant for her ears, but curiosity overtook her and she peeked around the corner to his office, making sure to keep her body out of view.

           “Really, Dad? You have to bring this up again?” The boy sighed as he slouched in the chair, propping his right foot over his left knee.

           “Of course I’m bringing it up again. Apparently you seem to care less what comes out of my mouth. When does your next report card come out?” Kim Hung Su sighed dryly.

           “What’s it to you?” The boy scoffed.

           “If you have the means to fund your own college bill, then I’ll keep my nose out of it! Until then, your grades are a requirement of me furthering your education.” Mr. Kim gritted his teeth to try not to mutter something he would regret.

           “Uh…I can’t remember the exact date. Mid-terms are about 4-5 weeks away.” He scratched his shaved bleach-blonde hair near his Mohawk.

           “A copy of the results once they are posted will be due in my office or else you’ll start paying out of pocket from here on out. Understood?” Mr. Kim looked straight at his son with a look that gave way to no compromise. Silence filled the room. “Do I make myself clear?”

           “Perfectly. Are we done?” Not even waiting for an answer, he started to get up out of his chair ignoring the shock on his father’s face. Stephanie realized her cue to exit her hiding place and high-tailed it out of there before she was compromised. On her way back to the dining area, she was too preoccupied with the conversation she had just heard to realize that she bumped into another coworker head on.

            “Ouch! What’s the big deal?” Nanami Kee yelped in pain as she lay crumpled on the floor.

            “Oh, geez! Nami, I’m so sorry! I didn’t realize it was you.” Stephanie apologized profusely to her best friend. At 5’2” it wasn’t hard to see why she was an easy target.

            “Of course not...no one ever does.” Nanami accepted Stephanie’s hand and grabbed hold as she felt herself being set back on her two feet again. Her Japanese face was surrounded by eyebrow-length silky, black bangs with a few red streaks interwoven to jazz up her features.  

            “So...how are things on your end? Getting any good tips?” Stephanie tried to downplay her role in pummeling into Nami and smoothed her mini apron that was tied around her waist.

            “Yeah, typical Friday night madness. Guess it’ll mean my shift will go by quicker. You know me...any extra tips I can put towards my KPop fix always helps.” Nami grinned as she gave her best aegyo face.

            “I think the whole point of making money at a job is so that you have something to put towards savings. You know...you shouldn’t be having more output than what you bring in.” Stephanie chuckled.

            “Hey...it’s not my fault that Japan and Korea want to make their cds so expensive…” Nami pouted.

            “Yeah...I never did understand why they have to do that.” Stephanie started to say before she noticed Kim Kyoungjae in her peripheral vision.

            “Uh,...Stephanie...Earth to Stephanie!!!” Nami waved her hand erratically in front of her face.

            “Huh?” Stephanie snapped back to attention.

            “Do I need to get you a napkin from all the drooling you’re doing?” Nami snickered.

            “What?!?!?” Stephanie started to get self-conscious and dabbed quickly at the side of .

            “Hahaha...you fell for it!” Nami giggled. Stephanie frowned and sighed. “Lemme guess...could a certain bad boy with a blonde mohawk and eyebrow piercing be making you turn into a pool of goo?”

            “Shut-up!” Stephanie instantly turned a crimson red as she tried to catch a glimpse of where he had gone next.

            “Uh...you know his reputation, right? Let’s just say he’s been around the block...and then some!” Nami made sure to emphasize the last few words.

            “So I’ve heard. I can’t help it that he’s so darn cute, though. Urgh...and that eyebrow piercing!” Stephanie bit her lip as she played with her strawberry-blonde hair.

            “Well...just remember that all that glitters may not be gold. Speaking of gold, we better get back to work before we’re given kitchen duty!” Nami made a beeline for the layout of tables to see which one she would be assigned next. Making a mental note to herself to do the same, Stephanie followed en route, but realized that something was dropped on the carpet a few feet away from her. Running to pick it up, she realized it was a money clip. Her delicate fingers smoothed over every inch of its intricate design. Looking up to see who it could possibly belong to, her eyes did a double take when she saw Kim Kyoungjae pushing through the main entrance. Immediately she quickened her pace to catch up to him, but by the time she weaved around incoming customers and made her way outside to the parking lot, he had already hopped in his car and took off. Sighing in frustration, she slipped the clip in her apron pocket before trudging inside.

            “I’ll be right back. I have to see Mr. Kim. It’s urgent.” Stephanie explained to her boss. She noted the confused expression overtaking her boss’s face, but didn’t stand by to elaborate. Minutes later she was standing in front of Mr. Kim’s office. The door was still open, but the back of the black, leather office chair was facing her. Her heart started to thump erratically as she pondered whether it was okay to disturb him. Deciding that she had a valid reason, she hesitantly knocked on the door. It was barely audible, but Mr. Kim swiveled his chair around and held up a finger as she noted he was on his bluetooth.

            “...I have someone at the door. I’ll call you right back.” Pressing the button on the bluetooth, Mr. Kim glanced up and weakly smiled. “How may I help you, dear?”

            “Mr. Kim, I hate to disturb you. I was just wondering...could this possibly belong to your son?” Stephanie’s voice wavered as she forced herself to step inside. Her knees felt like Jell-o as she fumbled with the money clip.

            “May I?” Mr. Kim held out his hand and once it was in his hand, held it up to the light as he overlooked the details. “Why it certainly is. You didn’t take the money? Most people would have.” Mr. Kim studied her intently.

            “I’m not most people, Mr. Kim.” Stephanie replied softly.

            “I can tell. You are a great asset to this company, Stephanie. Your dedication to your job shines brightly! If only my son would have the same enthusiasm for his education.” Mr. Kim sighed softly and realizing what he just said, cleared his throat to try and dismiss it. “How is business out there?” Mr. Kim brightened up, trying to shift the topic.

            “Very busy. Business is booming like always.” Stephanie beamed.

            “Excellent! That’s what I like to hear.” Mr. Kim grinned as a tiny chuckle escaped his lips.

            “Mr. Kim...please pardon me for intruding...but you just mentioned that Kyoungjae isn’t doing too well in his studies. Does he need a tutor?” Stephanie started to fidget with her thumbs as she swallowed nervously.

            “You know of someone?” Mr. Kim’s ears perked up at her suggestion.

            “Well, it depends on the subject…” Stephanie replied slowly.

            “He’s majoring in business right now. Are you a student as well?”

            “Yes, sir. I’m studying for a teaching degree at Stevenson University.”

            “Well then, how about a crash course? Tutor my son.” Mr. Kim suggested with a twinkle in his eye.

            “I...I’m sorry? You didn’t just say what I think you said...sir???” Stephanie stuttered over her words in shock.

            “Name your price…” Mr. Kim replied in all seriousness.

            “What do you mean?” Stephanie raised her eyebrow in confusion.

            “What do you want to get out of this? A bonus? Promotion? Anything you want...within reason of course.” Mr. Kim leaned back in his chair, studying her expression.

            “Um...I honestly have no clue at this time. I honestly don’t need anything, sir. How often would I need to help him?”

            “What are your hours here?” Mr. Kim ran his finger over the mouse sensor on his laptop in front of him.

            “Mainly weekends right now due to my school schedule.” Stephanie replied. He motioned for her to take a seat and she quickly obliged.

            “My son just informed me today that his mid-terms will be about 4-5 weeks away. I know this is last minute, but do you think you can help him get a decent grade?” Mr. Kim asked with a hint of hope in his voice.

            “Sir, I can always try my best. However, I won’t be able to take the midterms for him. You can lead a horse to water…”

            “...but you can’t make them drink it. So true, so true.” Mr. Kim pursed his lips as he was deep in thought. “How about this. I will suspend your hours here temporarily as you tutor my son, and if you are able to help his grades, I will pay you double what you make here per hour.”

            “Mr. Kim...are you serious?” Stephanie gasped in disbelief.

            “Not enough???” Mr. Kim reached into the side drawer of his desk and pulled out his checkbook.

            “Mr. Kim, please! You’re making me nervous…” Stephanie bursted out before realizing what she said and immediately covered . “My apologies…” Stephanie hung her head and gingerly tucked a chunk of hair behind her right ear that had slipped into her face.

            “No, no...Stephanie. I should be the one apologizing.” Mr. Kim exhaled slowly as he quietly closed the desk drawer.

             “I’ll do it, Mr. Kim. But, please realize I could care less about the money. I truly enjoy teaching and this will give me good experience to see if it’s something that I want to pursue.” Stephanie said in all seriousness as she looked directly into Mr. Kim’s eyes.

             “I can tell. Please don’t take this experience as a determining factor. My son will not be your typical student that you will be teaching in the future.” Mr. Kim chuckled.

             “I’ll keep that in mind.” Stephanie winked as she stood up.

            “What are your plans Sunday afternoon?”

            “Besides working here? Maybe just making sure that I have the finishing touches on my homework for Monday’s classes.”

            “Well, tonight will be your last night working here until I put you back on schedule. Plan on coming over Sunday for a late lunch. Our family attends church, so I will have someone pick you up. Your contact information on file is up-to-date, correct?” Mr. Kim started opening up a few files on his laptop.

            “Yes, sir.” Stephanie’s mind was starting to go into overload mode as she was processing everything that was taking place in front of her.

            “Last name?” Mr. Kim asked as he peered up from behind the laptop screen.

            “Malone.”

            “Ah, there you are. Do you live on campus?” Mr. Kim’s fingers were nimbly typing away on the keyboard.

            “Yes, sir.” Stephanie absentmindedly started to chew on her lower lip.

            “Will you be able to meet my driver in the dorm’s parking lot?”

            “Of course. Absolutely.” Stephanie agreed immediately.

            “Excellent. This is much appreciated! Will 2PM work well for you on Sunday?”

            “Perfectly.” Stephanie’s voice came out in a bit of a squeak and she immediately cleared .

            “You do not know how much of my mind you have put at ease! I will be calling your phone number you have listed tomorrow with further details. Let’s just verify your information to make sure it’s valid…”

            Ten minutes had passed before Stephanie made her way back towards where her boss was overlooking the schedule of who was assigned to the different tables.

            “Mr. Kim would like to speak with you when you have a moment.” Stephanie whispered close to her ear due to the background noise of the restaurant and customers. Her boss nodded in agreement and a moment later almost dropped her pen.

            “Right now?” She gulped as she fussed over her appearance.

            “Well...if you have to take care of the schedule, by all means, I would do that first…” Stephanie spoke as she peered at it.

            “Just what did you do?!?!?!?” Her boss asked as she was getting flustered.

            “I’ll let Mr. Kim explain. It’s not my business to discuss anything further.” Before her boss could react further, Stephanie made her way to her assigned table to inquire her customers on any drink refills they may need.

            “Where have you been all this time? Mrs. Tanaka just spazzed out and muttered something about seeing Mr. Kim. Care to explain?” Nami cornered Stephanie once she had entered the kitchen area to get her customers’ drink orders.

            “I can’t explain right now, but I’ll be more than happy to tonight after we get off our shift.” Stephanie placed the full cups on her tray and exited through the swinging door.

            “Urgh...no fair. I never get told the details.” Nami pouted before she went back to her duties.

***

            The cool, crisp air was enough to make customers don their scarves and gloves as they exited the restaurant. Winter was definitely making its presence known in Maryland. Alexander Eusebio grabbed the hot cup of chocolate-mint flavored coffee from his car’s cup holder and made his way out into the cold.

            “Stephanie!” He shouted as he leaned up against the driver’s side of his car.

            “Xander!” Stephanie squealed as she looked both ways in the parking lot and dashed over to him. “For me? You’re too sweet!” She eagerly wrapped him in a hug and kissed his cheek before snatching the cup from his hands and taking a leisurely sip. “Mmmmm. You always know how to make it just right. What would I do without you?” Stephanie cocked her head to the side as she watched Nami make her way over to where they both stood.

            “Die of thirst?” Xander teased as he wrapped his arms around her stomach and rested his chin on her shoulder. His slender 5’11” half-Korean, quarter Cantonese, quarter Portuguese frame molded perfectly behind Stephanie’s 5’7” body.

            “You make a valid point!” Stephanie’s right hand interlaced with Xander’s as her left hand kept filling with the warm, caffeinated liquid. Xander’s heart felt like it could explode right out of his chest at her gesture, but he kept reminding himself that his feelings for her strongly outweighed what Stephanie could ever return. “You finally made it! Huzzah!” Stephanie teased Nami when Nami stood in front of them.

            “I hate you. I can’t help it that I wasn’t blessed with long legs like someone I know.” Nami stuck her tongue out as she pulled her panda ski hat with ear flaps down to cover her frostbitten ears.

            “Tsk, tsk, tsk...c’mon panda...into the car before you get lost out in this habitat.” Stephanie motioned to the rear passenger seat. Nami didn’t need to be told twice and instantly hopped in to get out of the cold.

            “Don’t leave me...you’re so nice and warm and cuddly.” Xander begged against Stephanie’s earlobe. He buried his face into her neck to prove his point.

            “But we’ll freeze out here…” Stephanie giggled as he gripped his hold on her even tighter.

            HHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKK!!!

            “AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!” Both of them screamed as they jumped at the loud intrusion. Stephanie placed her hand over her heart making sure it was still beating as Xander shot Nami a death glare.

            “What was that for?!?!?!?” Xander screeched in Nami’s direction inside his car.

            “Just because I’m in the car doesn’t mean that it’s warm! Start it up and let’s go home!” Nami said thru the cracked window.

            “Don’t hate ‘cause you’re jealous….Aish!” Xander rolled his eyes before turning his attention on Stephanie to make sure she was okay. “You okay?” He asked softly as he got lost in her bluish-grey eyes.

            “Well, I don’t think I’ll have to worry about the coffee waking me up anymore…” Stephanie chuckled softly. Catching her breath, she glanced over her body and seeing that thankfully the coffee stayed inside the thermos, gave Xander a wink and made her way over to the passenger side.

            Twenty minutes later, Xander pulled his car up to the girls’ dormitory on campus.

            “Make yourself comfortable, Xander. All that coffee went straight to my bladder. I’ll be back in a few.” Stephanie spoke after she unlocked the door that she shared with Nami.

            “Are you going to be sticking around for a bit tonight?” Nami smirked as she threw her hat and coat on her bed.

            “Do you want me to?” Xander asked as Nami prepared a bowl of udon noodles in the microwave.

            “Why are you asking me? Shouldn’t you be asking your girlfriend?” Nami snickered.

            “Shut-up! She’s not my girlfriend!” Xander hissed to emphasize he didn’t want Stephanie hearing. He would love to have that picture come true, but was always too shy to bring the topic up around her.

            “Oh, come on, Xander...you make it SO obvious!” Nami rolled her eyes as she punched in the time on the microwave.

            “Well, she hasn’t picked up on the hints…” Xander mumbled quietly.

            “What was that?” Nami strained her ears to hear what he said, but Xander played it off as if it wasn’t important.

            “Aaaahhhh...that feels so much better. So, what do you guys want to do?” Stephanie asked upon exiting the bathroom. Xander and Nami looked at each other and then at Stephanie before shrugging.

            “You guys up for a movie?” Stephanie asked as they both nodded. Getting comfy on her bed, Stephanie patted the spot next to her for Xander to lay. Once the movie was cued up and Nami was sitting criss-crossed on her bed with her bowl of noodles, the three of them became engrossed in the film. Halfway through the movie, Xander noticed that Stephanie had nodded off and was sleeping peacefully with her head on his stomach, her right hand sprawled on top of his chest. He didn’t want to move her, but knew that he had no right spending the night. Glancing at his phone and noticing the time, he decided to leave before he ran into any drunk drivers taking their chances out on the road. Delicately inching his body from her grasp, he slipped out and planted his feet on the floor to steady his frame. Xander gently lifted her head to slip her pillow underneath and covered her body as best he could with her bed covers. Nami was passed out as well, but was facing the opposite end of the bed from where she was watching the movie. Silently laughing to himself, Xander did the same for her and pried the plastic bowl out of her hands to place in the mini sink by their refrigerator. He located the remote and turned off the dvd player as well as the TV. Leaving the light over the sink, he enveloped the rest of their room in complete darkness before slipping out the front door. Reaching into his pocket, he retrieved the copy Stephanie had made for him and locked the deadbolt into place. His mind swirled with bits and pieces of the conversation him and Nami had discussed earlier. The frigidness of the air snapped him back to reality for a moment, but once he made it to the safety of his car, his mind drifted back to the fog it was swimming in. He didn’t know how he made it to his apartment; he could only think of his mind being on autopilot. Unlocking the front door, he slid off his shoes and sighed deeply as he leaned his back up against the door frame. Trudging to his bed, he flopped down on it and once he was on his back, stared blankly up at the ceiling.

            “I have to let her know how I feel about her...but how? We’ve known each other since elementary school. I doubt she feels that way about me. I’ve got to make my move soon, though...before someone else does…” Xander’s mind spoke as he slipped in his earbuds and put his iTunes list on shuffle. Closing his eyes, he shut off his inner monologue and let sleep overtake him.