Summary

'tis the nightingale and not the lark

I wrote this part because my friend said the original story was too long so I summarized it for her. Posting it here because I found the thing pretty poetic. :/


Monochromatic days fly pass like a speeding train with no destination in mind. Jongin sees the world through a black and white film, perceiving life behind a thick glass that separates him from everybody else. Days are marked not by calendars, but by stacks of names, each letter dripping with the bitter cocktails he can’t taste. A spark of color flashes in front of his eyes as he steps into Eldritch, a Neverland to nurse his sick view of the world, and sees an unfamiliar face amongst the hundreds of faceless individuals. He meets Sehun, a mysterious bartender with a cheeky personality and a mischievous glint in his eyes. Before he realizes, he slips into unknown territory, away from life as he knows it, away from emotionless bloodshed and mindless drinking. Before he realizes, he slips into a different world, a fantasy-esque wonderland that seems almost too good to be true. Before he realizes, he slips away from the harsh reality he had tried so hard to grasp onto, and falls too deep, much too deep, into what others know as the most primal, most basic feature of the human condition—love.


But Jongin is blinded by the sudden bursts of color and light, and his armor falls apart, shattered pieces lying by his feet as he’s suddenly back into the night. Sehun disappears, and all that’s left with Jongin is a name, and the memories of cocktails that he never ordered, and a life that had more than plateaus. They meet again, but Jongin knows that it isn’t going to be the same, that something had changed irreversibly between the two of them. He doesn’t try to persuade Sehun to stay the next time he leaves.

Months pass, and they meet again. They’re at a masquerade, a party for enemies hidden behind masks and false smiles. A shower of bullets pierce through the thin layer of sickly sweet lies hanging dangerously above the room. Amidst the chaos, Sehun’s hand finds his, and as Jongin lets Sehun lead him to safety, he vows to himself that he will never let go again. The next few days are spent in bliss, and he breaks his promise as he returns home, to his golden bird cage. 

Sehun doesn’t leave this time, but he doesn’t stay either. His appearances are sudden and unpredictable, but Jongin doesn’t think he cares anymore. As long as Sehun is by his side, he’s happy. But love isn’t simple, especially not between Sehun and Jongin. The unspoken secret known to the both of them lies buried under their everyday trivialities, but it is there, taunting them as they’re reminded of it throughout the months. Sometimes, even Jongin wonders to himself, what is the head of Roseceae doing with the head of La Campanella? Everything breaks apart, and although Jongin tries to continue living in lies and illusions of contentment, even those fabrications tear apart.

Jongin could still see the smoke curling from the muzzle of the gun. A sharp, searing pain rips through his chest, and he wonders if it is physical or emotional. He smiles weakly at Sehun, trying to recapture those moments of happiness that they had shared. The attempt is feeble, and Fate plays yet another jest on him. Red roses blossom from Sehun’s chest, and Jongin feels his pain increase exponentially as screams tear from his throat. His mind is blank, and he does the one thing he knows how to do expertly and intuitively. He kills.

People often try to choose between friendship and love. The slot of utmost priority can only hold one of the two, and Jongin stands between them, teetering as he chooses one. He watches as his best friend falls, and watches as his own vision blurs, and watches as Sehun closes his eyes. He feels the sun rising—it is finally dawn—but he can’t feel the warmth, it seems long gone. As he lets himself slip away for the last time, he wonders to himself where it had gone wrong. As he lets himself slip back into unreality, he realizes that perhaps, nothing had gone wrong. This was meant to be.

 

 


Inspired by:

 

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

One-Shot by B.A.P

My friend for wanting everyone dead

Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare