The Concert

Taeyang - The Music Experiment 2.0

When MTV Iggy announced the theme was going to be an all-white party, everyone groaned and mumbled. And who could blame them?  It's not a color that everyone can pull off - and I, for one, definitely stressed out about it.  I truly thought it was going to be themed after the Ringa Linga music video - something dark or tribal.  Maybe black - because we all know how much YB loves his black.  But no - it had to be white. 

Why white? 

Who knows.  But according to the latest fashion show reveals, minimalist white is the trending colour for S/S 2014.  So while I may look like a stuffed marshmallow at the party, at least I knew I would be "in" come spring.

SMH.

Instead of waiting for YB at soundcheck like everyone else, I was still at the mall - shopping.  Stressing.  Thank goodness we had a planned visit to a Korean bathhouse the morning of the concert.  The R&R was much needed!

Based on my T-list, it was rumored that people had started to line up since 10am!  So you can imagine my panic when I had to throw out my original plans to arrive by 6:30pm.  As a result, we headed to Bimbo's 365 at around 4:30pm.  With hair and make-up done at the spa, all we had to do was find a place to put on our clothes.  So we stopped at the Walgreens down the street and headed in... only to find a line of people all dressed in white waiting to use the restroom!  So we did the next best thing.

We got dressed in the car! >.<

Luckily my cousin had her windows tinted, lol.  She took a picture of us in the parking lot of the store, next to this graffitied wall.  We walked a couple of blocks down the street and I ran into a twitter friend from Sac-Town who was taking group pictures out front.  We chatted a bit before I searched for the official fan clubs at Bimbo's for handouts.

 

 

In front of the building, there were two lines for VIPs/Backstage winners, while the rest of the general admission ticket holders and stand-by individuals were lined up against the side of the building.  While waiting, I met up with some admins from Always Taeyang (ATY) and YB Mania.  While I was uber happy to finally meet up a friend from ATY, I was ecstatic to see the noonas from YB Mania.  They were an older set of women but they still had their white gear on from head to toe.  Some even wore YB's hat as part of their outfit.  ^.^  I loved it!  Both clubs were super nice and my group ended up standing next to them inside the venue.

I stepped away a few times to meet up with some girls at the concert.  One winner, Maria R, won backstage passes but was later told there weren't any backstage passes anymore - just VIP Meet & Greet.  It was a bummer, but at least she knew she would get to see Taeyang after the show.  There was another guy (Julio, whom I later chatted with after the show) that was sitting near the entrance of Bimbo's.  With his olive toned skin and greyish-white colored sprayed hair, you couldn't miss him!  He was on one side of the entrance, while YB-518% sat on the other side.  Turns out, he received his ticket from YB-518% and also some inside scoop on what hotel Taeyang was staying at the day before.  So unlike me... he already got his picture in with Taeyang, Choice37, and Ben Baller.

Lucky ducks.

After five challenges and no VIP ticket in sight, my chances of meeting YB were nil to nothing.  Knowing people who got up close and personal with Taeyang was about as good as it was going to get.  But that was alright... because I was about to see him in concert for the first time.

I couldn't be more excited. ^.^


On with the show...

The ballroom at Bimbo's only holds about 650+ people.  But immediately upon walking in, you could tell it was going to be a smaller venue than that.  Half of the room was filled with camera equipment and Intel/MTV Iggy booths for people to take pictures and get their faces painted.  I didn't bother with either.  Instead, I made a beeline straight towards the front of the room, next to the stage.  It was standing room only - no chairs.  It was rumored that YB stayed mostly next to the band during soundcheck, so the odds that he would do the same were high.  I stood in front of the band area for a couple of minutes before a security guard motioned us towards a raised dais connected to an exit door, right next to the band.

Score!

It was a bit further from the stage, but it was on a platform so we didn't have to fight people for a view.  But to be honest - there really wasn't a bad spot at all in the entire ballroom because the venue was so small.  A barricade separated the VIPs from the general admission ticket holders, but all in all - everyone was about to get their fill of Taeyang at the show.  Our section allowed the waiters to come by easily to take our drink orders.  It was also the same section where Choice37, Ben Baller, and Peter Chun stood nearby.  A few girls had their pictures taken with them but I did not ask for one.

Choice37 got the party started with rousing beats from various YG artists.  I heard a lot of G-Dragon songs, but there were also a few BigBang numbers, some old Taeyang hits, and 2NE1 singles.  He even played T.O.P's "Doom Dada" and did the zombie hand movement with us.  [Sorry!  I don't know what else to call that slow hand-wiping motion, lol >.<]  He took a few pics and videos of the crowd with his phone before leaving stage.

We had a brief intermission and the dim lights came on.  People milled about for a bit - probably less than ten minutes.

Then the band got into place.

I have never been more happier to see these set of men!

LOL!

The drums came on and my heart started pounding!  I could feel the adrenaline rush throughout my body and excitement course through my veins.  The stage backlights came on and the Hi-tech dancers did their mini intro dance.  We all our lightsticks and waved them around frantically.

I couldn't believe this was happening.

Then there was a visible pause in the music.

And BAM!

I hear Taeyang's voice right as I see him magically appear left-stage.  I don't know how to explain it.  I swear, I've watched the concert on Youtube several times now, but it still doesn't capture the explosiveness of his appearance.  It was like he shot out of a cannon or something.  There was so much energy behind him.  He swung his arms in large movements and kept his leg motions exaggerated and big so everyone could see them.  He kept moving all over stage so fast, my camera couldn't keep up.  I felt bad at first, because I could've had a closer spot - but then I see everyone with their cameras up (some even brought their iPads!) and I told myself to not worry about it because somebody would get a good shot.

With that in mind, I took a few pics here and there but for the most part - I just enjoyed the show.

Some things that I noticed:  (These are just my observations.  And I was a little tipsy, so it might not be accurate, lol)

+ His voice sounded a lot sharper live than I remember hearing on his recorded songs or through video cams.  And I don't mean clearer (although, of course - it was that) but more like slightly nasally than the smooth baritone I was expecting.  The quality and soul resonating from his voice was the same, live or recorded, however.  But we all knew that.

+ His English has definitely improved! ^.^  Maybe I should make less fun of it now, lol!  Rarely did he hesitate when speaking to the crowd.  It felt natural... even if there was a small accent. >.<

+ He owned that stage.  He didn't want to get off!  About thirty minutes into the show, like YG tradition, the crowd is told that this is the last song... but of course, we all know there's an encore.  Several encores in fact!  Taeyang gave us an encore and more!  It was never enough.  He took song requests... then did the complete opposite (that troll!) but he tried to accomodate everyone as best as he could - even doing accapella. 

+ Rarely did he play up the camera.  Instead, in the midst of all the singing and dancing, he took pictures with fans and came as close into the crowd as possible.  It was fan service at its finest! <3

Before I knew it, the show was over.  It was too fast for me... I wished it would've lasted another hour.  Wished he would've sang "1AM" for an encore song again... or better yet - sang "Take It Slow" accapella, sans shirt and all! >.<  

After Taeyang got his certificate from the mayor of San Francisco and left the stage, the dim ballroom lights came on.  Girls immediately headed towards the band to get some last minute pictures before they left the area.  We took a few group pics, made a pit-stop at the ladies room, before heading out. 

And then I notice the line of people outside.

There were about fifty or so people lined up on the right side of Bimbo's - in the alley.  I walk over and see a black SUV with its lights on and I immediately notice the artist entrance of the club.  The majority of the people are lined up against Bimbo's side of the alley so there was no way I was going to get close enough to see him up close.  So I hop over to the other side of the alley where a smaller crowd of people are standing, hoping to get a shot of Taeyang as he leaves the building.  Then my heart sinks again because the SUV moves and blocks my view of the door.

FML.

No matter.  I decided to tough it out and just hang around to catch whatever last glimpse I could.  About fifteen minutes in, half of my group leaves to grab something to eat at the In-N-Out Burger shop down the street, while my cousin and I stand around talking to a few of concert attendees.  That's when I get the scoop from Julio and also gather enough courage to speak to YB-518% for a picture.  It was nerve wrecking... silly, I know! They're just people... like us.  But I still felt nervous nonetheless.  The girls were so nice!  They didn't speak English (or maybe they just didn't understand my rushed ramblings, lol) but eventually they understood I wanted to take a picture with them.

By that time, over half of the crowd has left.  There's about thirty or so people leaning on Bimbo's side of the building and about ten of us on the other side of the alley.  We see the black SUV go in reverse and manuever itself to the back side of Bimbo's.  I can see its tail light, but nothing else.

No movement.

Nothing.

Cousin:  "It's a decoy."

Me: "It's not a decoy!"

Cousin:  "It's a decoy.  Stars do this all the time when they have to leave the building and they don't want fans following them."

Me (with conviction):  "Well, that's other stars.  This is Taeyang!  He would never leave us waiting around like this, especially if he knows fans are waiting for him.  That's not him!"

Cousin (dubious):  "Oh-kayyyy..."

I feel like laughing at her expression but at the same time, I'm praying that my fan-girling hasn't gone to the extreme.  I'm hoping it hasn't clouded my judgment and zapped all rationale.  After snapping a picture for the YB-518% girls and handing back their phone, I turn around upon hearing excited whispers.

The SUV is heading down the alley!

I immediately give my hand-held camera to my cousin and pop my phone into camera mode so I can snap away as it comes closer.  But then it happens.  A girl walks close to the vehicle and its then that I realize the passenger window is halfway down.

He's sitting on our side of the alley!

What!

Click. Click. Click.... my phone camera goes off. 

The SUV moves and the girls to my right move with it... and I suddenly find myself moving with them, scared that I'm about to get crushed. But then I do the unthinkable.

I reach up and put my hand out - and at the same time, I'm afraid to push my hand all the way through the window opening because it feels all wrong. 

And that's when I feel his fingers.

>.<

Omo.

It happened only for a split second.  But in that moment, I felt how sweaty it was.  Clammy is probably a better word.  It wasn't warm.  It was cool, like he had grabbed something cold beforehand.  But it was definitely sweaty.

 

In the pictures above, you can see Ben Baller in the front seat.  The bottom picture is of my hand and Taeyang's. ^.^  I wish I could say that sparks flew, but all I felt was happy and proud.  And thankful.  He put on such a good performance tonight, I was soaring under his success.  I smiled as I watched the SUV turn into the street before I walked sedately with my cousin to our car parked nearby.

The door shut behind me... and then that's when I let it all out.

I screamed.

I screamed with joy.

Absolute, pure joy!

This was, by far, the best night of my life.

[Next:  Photo Gallery]