Soju Bottles and Harsh Truths

How I Met Byun Baekhyun

"Are you okay!?"

"I'm fine!"

Baekhyun winced as the bedroom slammed open. Chanmi dropped the knife that was in her hand as she walked towards him. He had run to his room which surprised her. She had spent all afternoon making sure she didn't ruin dinner.

"What happened? Are you sure you're okay?"

Chanmi forced Baekhyun to look at her as she placed a hand on his forehead. He struggled to move away but she had a tight grip on him. His hands were on fire and he practically screamed as he pulled away.  Baekhyun quickly glanced at her face and felt his heartbeat go faster.

Dugeun. Dugeun.

"What the hell Chanmi!?"

"What!?"

Chanmi stared as he grabbed his coat and ran out the room. She followed after him and frowned as the front door was slammed shut. The food on the kitchen table was still warm and she sat down.

"He could have just ordered something."

••••••••

"You called me out for this!?"

Baekhyun waved the half empty soju bottle in the air as Eunji approached him. His hair was all over the place and his tie was wrapped around his head. She pulled him off the floor as he struggled to hug her. Eunji pushed him back onto the stool and quickly ordered a large bowl of ramen.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"I think I'm dying."

"Dying?"

Baekhyun whimpered as he pointed as his chest, "It keeps beating faster!"

"Your heart?"

Eunji smacked Baekhyun's hand away as he reached towards her ramen. She smirked as he chugged down the remaining soju before his head slammed onto the plastic table. They were barely five minutes from their office building which worried her. If people saw the great Byun Baekhyun drunk off his mind, forget about having a perfect success rate. They would be lucky if their business didn't go bankrupt.

"Why!? Why is this happening!?"

"You scared me!"

Baekhyun grabbed his stool and moved closer to her. The stench of alcohol radiated off of him and she sighed as he motioned for to come closer. This was the first time in years that he had acted this way. Not since...

"What happened!?" Eunji's screams made everyone in the stall turn to look at her, "Who did you meet!?"

"No, not that! It's been years and we agreed not to talk about it!"

"Then?"

Eunji grew worried as he rubbed his hands through his hair. As someone who always saw the best and worst of Baekhyun, it scared her to think that he was close to having another mental breakdown. She rubbed his back as she forced him to drink water. Within a few minutes, he went back to normal and he took the tie off his head.

"I think you were right."

"Right about what?"

Baekhyun turned to Eunji and sighed again. How could this have happened? Four years of growing his company from a small room in the back of a convenience store to a multi-million business, he had met women that only men and woman could imagine meeting. He could have any woman he wanted but... but...

He fell for Park Chanmi. 

"No."

"Yes."

"How!?"

Eunji pinched her arm and winced when she realized this wasn't a dream. The fact that Baekhyun fell for Chanmi was something that not even drama writers would think of. She liked Chanmi, she really did, but she was making Eunji's life a living hell.

The endless nights of fixing her up with people only to be yelled at after their dates went horribly wrong. The fast food that she would have to eat after planning all night. The fact that she would have panic attacks everytime a phone rang. 

It was all because of Park Chanmi.

"Are you sure?" Eunji pressed, "Maybe it's not love but pity?"

"Pity?"

"I mean, you've been with her for months and probably because you felt bad for her, you fell in love."

"It's not pity," Baekhyun shook his head, "You think I wouldn't if it was pity or not?"

"Then why? I like Chanmi, she's a sweet girl but she doesn't deserve to be treated this way."

"What do you mean?"

Eunji bit her lips, "If she realizes your feelings and decides she wants to be with you, then I'm all for it. But I know how you are and I won't stand for it."

"What the hell does that mean?"

"It means that you will toss her away the moment you realize that you don't actually love her. You're never going to be satisfied until you earn that title everyone keeps throwing around. I love Chanmi and I love you. You're my favorite cousin and she's my favorite friend. Don't ruin something as precious as the friendship you have with her just to get more money and promotion."

"I won't hurt her. What makes you think I will hurt someone as sweet and innocent as Chanmi?"

"Because you've done it once before and I'm sure you'll do it again."

Baekhyun watched as Eunji paid for his drinks and walked away. How dare she say that he would hurt Chanmi? After everything they have been through, he would never think about hurting her. She was special to him.

But he wasn't so sure he was special to her too.

••••••••

"I'm like TT. Just like TT!"

Chanmi rubbed her eyes awake as the front door slammed open. She stepped outside her room and stared at Baekhyun who fell onto the floor. She moved closer but silently gagged as the smell of soju made it's way towards her. 

"Oppa."

"Oh my! My Chanmi is here waiting for her oppa!"

Baekhyun reached for her and pulled her next to him. He rested his head on top of hers and wrapped his legs around her. The soft scent of honey made him bury his face in her hair. His eyes flew wide open when he felt cold hands on his stomach.

"Your hands are cold!"

"And you're drunk!"

Chanmi pushed Baekhyun off of her and pulled his hair. He couldn't help but scream as she pulled him off the floor and onto the couch. Baekhyun rubbed his head only to be smacked again.

"Do you know how worried I was!? You walked out and didn't even tell me where you were going or how long you were going to take!"

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to talk about it."

"Is everything all right?"

Baekhyun looked up to see Chanmi's worried face. His hands started to burn and he felt his heart skip a beat. He didn't want to believe what Eunji said about him but he wasn't sure how true his feelings were. He was pulled from his thoughts when the scent of honey reached his nose. Baekhyun watched as Chanmi brushed back her hair and their eyes met.

Was she always this beautiful?

"Just let me know where you are next time."

"I will. I promise."

Chanmi headed back to bed but stopped when she was pulled back. She looked down to see Baekhyun holding onto her hand. His fingers spread over her wrist before they let go.

"Chanmi, about your dates..."

At the mention, her eyes flew open before they turned into a crescent moon. She jumped onto the couch next to him before covering her face. The moment Baekhyun had run off, she had gotten a call from her second date. 

"I'm really excited about this one," She gushed, "I feel really good about this one."

Baekhyun noticed the twinkle in her eyes when she said that. It was typical Chanmi who never lost hope. Even when he yelled at her or forced her to do things she didn't want to, she never lost that sparkle in her eyes. 

Eunji was right. He had no right to take this opportunity for her. 

Maybe she was right. Maybe it wasn't love after all.

But he had only one way to find out.

"Chanmi?"

"Yeah?"

Baekhyun smiled, "Make me proud."

 

••••••••

author's corner; 

OMG! Did I just update twice in a week!? I can't believe that this has happened. I've just been really inspired to finish this fic. I will warn you that even though we are 34 chapters in, I am not halfway done. This fic will be very long but I hope everyone understands. I am trying to make sure that nothing feels rushed or too slow. I just want to properly develop these characters. I hope everyone will still continue reading this story to the end. Thanks again!

 HOW DID YOU ENJOY THIS CHAPTER!? PLEASE COMMENT ABOUT ANYTHING! COMMENT AND UPVOTE IF YOU WISH!