Chapter Twelve

Pinky Promise

“Where are we heading to?” Donghae asked as their car passed by trees and fields.

“The beach!”

The moment they got off the car, they unloaded their things in the vacant vacation house.

First, Hyukjae prepared two sand cars. The golden silky sand were unraveled, they sped across the nearly deserted beach. Racing from one end to another, “Whoever wins gets coconut juice!” Hyukjae was leading at first, but at the third lap, Donghae caught up. He stuck out a tongue and made a goofy face at Hyukjae.

“Blerg!!!” Donghae tried to spit out the sand that got into his mouth. Hyukjae laughed so hard he couldn’t even focus on driving. He held his stomach that hurts from laughter while tears of happiness slipped out from the corners of his eyes. On the final lap, they both just drove at the same pace, enjoying their freedom.

Donghae reached to his pants pockets for his wallet. But there is no pocket?!

“You forgot your wallet again, didn’t you?”

“Yeah….”

Hyukjae took out his own wallet and paid for the coconut juice. They finished their drink rather quickly. Then Hyukjae went to the store by the beach and rented a bright yellow water motorcycle. “Hey put this on!” Hyukjae threw the floating suit to Donghae while putting one on himself. Hyukjae climbed on the water motorcycle, Donghae followed. With a wide grin, he wrapped his arms around Hyukjae’s waist and rest his head on Hyukjae’s back. 

“You wanna hug me that much, huh?” Hyukjae teased.

“Psshh Who wants to hug you?” Donghae disagreed, but didn’t loosen his grip. “Wait! You can drive a water motorcycle??” 

“Yah babo~ why would I drive it if I don’t have a license?” Hyukjae chuckled.

“WOOOHOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!” The boys screamed in excitement of the speed. 

“I knew you would love this!!” Hyukjae yelled.

Their water motorcycle brushed past high and low waves, water splashed on their bodies, bringing freshness and anticipation for more. Hyukjae starts to drive in circles, tilting the water motorcycle. “Why are you doing this?! Woaaaahhhh!!!” Donghae closed his eyes and shrieked, tightening his grip. Feeling Donghae’s unyielding arms around his waist, he replied, “To get you to do this!!!” They surfed through another high wave, Donghae clung onto Hyukjae for his life. After a while, Hyukjae finally feel his arms getting sore. They drove back to the shore slowly, Donghae gently kissed Hyukjae on his face. “Thank you…. for treating me like a real man… It wouldn’t have been this much fun if you take me on a cheesy greasy romantic date, you know” Hyukjae chuckled, “When did I ever see you as a girl? Donghae is Donghae. That’s what makes you different.”

Still dripping wet, Hyukjae and Donghae decided to sit down under a palm tree next to the house. Listening to the sound of waves while playing cheerful music. The music goes:

I remember the image of you who waited for me again today
From time to time
When things get tough
I always think of you
Thank you
When I’m happy
We all laugh together
And loving hearts are always abounding
Now, having just received your heart
I’ll give everything back to you


A little bit closer, love
I’ll always protect you
So we’re like how we are now
When you’re feeling exhausted and hurt and pained
All you have to do is lean on me
Always, HAPPY TOGETHER


It’s just a little bit different
Even if those there are cold glares or someone says something
I just hope that you won’t change
Thank you
For crying all together when I’m feeling down
For always staying together and protecting each other
Now, having just receieved your heart
I’ll give everything back to you


A little bit closer, love
I’ll always protect you
So we’re like how we are now
When you’re feeling exhausted and hurt and pained
All you have to do is lean on me
Always, HAPPY TOGETHER


Even when the tears that are hidden from the world flow
Because the dazzling you is with me
I can gain strength and laugh again..
Always
HAPPY TOGETHER


You’re my everything
You’re my best
My person
No matter what anyone says
You’re my love


A little bit closer, love
I’ll always be by your side
So we’re like how we are now
When you’re feeling exhausted and hurt and pained
All you have to do is lean on me


Don’t say that you can’t
Don’t say that you’ll fail
Even if no one acknowledges you
You can do it
Now, don’t change and smile all together
Everyone here will now always be happy
Love, happiness
From now on
Love, happiness
Forever and ever
Love, happiness
You and me
Love, happiness
Doing it together
Forever
HAPPY TOGETHER


They both drifted off into a nap. 

Until later when they woke up, Hyukjae smiled and took out two huge lanterns from the vacation house. One light blue and the other one was white. “Donghae-ah, people say that when you write your wish on these lanterns and set it free, your wish will come true.” Donghae took one took the blue lantern and a marker. Donghae hid his lantern while writing, Hyukjae grabbed Donghae’s shoulder to make him turn around. “Aish!! If you see it then my wish won’t come true and I am going to blame you!” Donghae fretted. Hyukjae chuckled and continue writing on the white one. The lighter yield a small glow of fire, igniting the candle on the bottom of the lantern. The lantern embarked their first step to reach their dreams. 

They set their wishes free, side by side, sending their message to the vast blue sky. Now only the sky and they would know their wish. Both of them looked up and watched the lights. The floating lights slowly raises, the big lanterns became tinier and tinier until they diminished. 

“What did you write?” Donghae began.

“Not telling you! Kekekek” Hyukjae smirked. 

The tides kisses the shore goodbye, Hyukjae and Donghae retreated back to a small vacation home they rented by the ocean as the night approaches. 

“Wouldn’t the sunrise be so beautiful here? Let’s watch the sunrise together!” 

“Yeah but you are definitely going to fall asleep.” Hyukjae giggled.

“No I won’t!” Donghae protested.  

And soon enough, Donghae fell asleep on Hyukjae’s lap.

Hyukjae took off his coat and wrapped Donghae tightly. He reached out to adjust his bangs, revealing his tender eyes and long eyelashes. Even though Hyukjae’s legs feel uncomfortable from Donghae’s weight, and his eyelids get heavier, he struggled to stay awake until the first ray of sunlight strikes the window.

“Donghae…. Donghae…” Hyukjae muttered into Donghae’s ear. Donghae squinted as Hyukjae held him up. 

While Donghae look out the window at the welcoming warmth, Eunhyuk looked at Donghae's eyes.

"Your eyes' radiance is brighter than the morning sun." he thought.