I.

In Their Time
In Their Time
ft: jongin and kyungsoo
~10014w
 
 
 
 
 
 

It was just like any other typical day.

Do Kyungsoo woke up precisely at 7 in the morning, arms outstretched as he lets out a yawn. He rubbed his eyes groggily before putting on a smile and promptly tossing the duvet to his side. “It’s going to be another wonderful day!” He chirped rather cheerfully as he got down from his bed and made his way towards the bathroom. He knew that there was nothing better than to start his day optimistically, and especially with a stressful day ahead in work, it was best that he kept his mood decent to prepare himself for whatever that would be thrown towards him later.

Only, he did not know that that particular morning, he would soon be heading to work with a frown on his face instead of his usual cheerful disposition.

And all of that started with a mere letter in his mailbox.

 

--

Hello, new tenant.

You do not know me, and nor do I know you. My name is Kim Jongin, and I was the previous owner of this beautiful home. I have enjoyed living here for the past few months (since April 2013), and I am sad to have to leave her today. But, knowing how great this house was, I am sure that you would enjoy your stay here as much as I did.

Oh right, the purpose of me writing this letter is to inform you that should any letters arrive in the future and addressed to me, please do me a favour and mail them to me. I have written my new address at the back of the envelope. Thank you very much for doing this.

Best regards,

Kim Jongin.

15th of December 2013

 

--

 

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow in pure confusion. The content of the letter he had just read from his mailbox shot hundreds of questions into his mind. He reread the letter over and over again, confused and dazed before finally concluding that this letter had been delivered to the wrong house. Kyungsoo glanced at his watch and noted that he still had time to write back to this Kim Jongin person. The post office was also on his way to his workplace, so he could, at the same time, deliver the letter to inform Kim Jongin that he must have gotten the address and date wrong.

“Well, at least he gave me his new home address,” He mumbled to himself as he went back into his house for a piece of envelope and paper.

Kyungsoo dropped his reply letter by the post office twenty minutes later, still wearing the confused frown as he thought of the content again. Kyungsoo then laughed at himself for worrying over a letter that was clearly a misinterpretation and, probably, a mistake in writing by the guy named Kim Jongin. “This must be a silly, innocent mistake.” He mentally told himself over and over again. “That guy must have written the year wrongly by mistake. Stop fretting, Kyungsoo!”

But of course, it was not a mistake.

 

--

 

The next morning, the postman stopped by Kyungsoo’s home. Apparently there was an error in the address Kyungsoo had written for the letter to be delivered, leaving the postman no choice but to return the letter back to him.

Unfortunately, Kyungsoo wasn’t at home during that time. So instead, the postman placed the letter into his mailbox, raised the mailbox flag without much thinking, and rode off in his motorbike.

Little did the postman know that Kyungsoo would never be the one who would retrieve that letter. The person who would receive that letter instead, would be Kim Jongin.

 

--

 

Oh no,” Jongin groaned and slapped a hand onto his forehead. His workmate, Sehun, glanced up from his desk and threw a concern look at his direction. “What’s wrong, Jongin?”

“I’ve gotten my new address wrong!” The former heaved a sigh as he pointed at the piece of paper in his hands. “It’s supposed to be house number 24, but I’ve all along thought it was number 26.”

Sehun tilted his head slightly, “Okay…so?”

“You don’t understand. Now I have to go back to my previous home and correct it. I wrote a letter to the new tenant to forward any future mails addressed to me, and I gave him my new address.” Jongin shrugged. “I guess I need to go back and change the number. What a waste of time!”

 

--

 

Jongin returned to his previous home and dragged his feet across the snow. He opened his mailbox and took out the letter that was in it, flipped it to the back and was prepared to change the mistake when he realized that something was evidently wrong.

He flipped the letter to the front again and found himself in a state of confusion. This letter was addressed to him. Jongin peered into the mailbox again, thinking that the letter he was holding must have been a new mail that had came for him after he had left. However, the original letter he had placed which was addressed to the new tenant before he left, was nowhere in sight.

Unable to comprehend the situation, Jongin read the newly written letter to him and was even more surprised at the end of the letter. He reread it again to make sure that he was actually reading it properly, and by the time he reached the end again, he was convinced that his respondent was crazy.

“What on earth is he trying to say? The year 2011? What?”

 

--

 

Hello Mr. Kim Jongin,

I am not sure how to say this, but I don’t understand you. What do you mean by you being the previous owner of this home I am living in currently? I hate to break this to you but I’ve been living in this home for a few months, and I am the first to ever reside in this newly built home.

I don’t know why your letter ended up at my mailbox, perhaps you’ve delivered it to the wrong place?

And…why is your date dated in the year 2013? It’s only the year 2011, what are you trying to play at?

Yours truly,

Do Kyungsoo

16th of December 2011

 

--

 

Two knocks were heard on the door as Kyungsoo got up from his seat to answer it. When he opened it, he found the ever so cheerful Mr. Lee on his doorstep, and he returned his smile politely. “Hello, Mr. Lee, how are you? Are there any new mails for me today?”

Mr. Lee handed two envelopes to Kyungsoo before clapping his hands together; as if he had remembered something. “Oh yes, I’ve been meaning to tell you the other day but you weren’t around. There was a slight confusion in the letter you’ve posted out a few days ago?”

Kyungsoo frowned, trying to remember what letter his postman was telling him about. “What confusion is there, Mr.Lee?”

“You see, the address you put for us to deliver the letter to is...well, it’s invalid.”

“What do you mean?” Kyungsoo deepened his frown, “And what letter is this you’re talking about?

Mr. Lee’s smile faded slightly. “I’ve returned the letter to you by placing it in your mailbox. Didn’t you receive it?”

There was a few seconds before Kyungsoo finally recalled the letter he had posted, and he quickly shook his head. “No, I did not receive any returned letters these past few days. But yes I do somewhat remember the letter you’re saying. Anyway, Mr. Lee, what do you mean by invalid?”

“The address you have given us…there are no houses in that area. At least, not for another fifteen months.”

There was a pause before Kyungsoo replied with utter bewilderment; “What?”

“The area is now a construction site. Houses are not available yet, they are being built at the moment.”

“Umm…okay,” Kyungsoo finally mumbled, “Thank you for informing me, Mr. Lee. I guess I must have mixed up the address. I will look into that soon.”

Mr. Lee smiled and walked away, leaving a very confused Kyungsoo behind. As he was prepared to enter his home, something caught his eyes; something very strange and peculiar. Kyungsoo had to rub his eyes a few times to make sure that he wasn’t seeing things. But no matter how much he rubbed them, the fact that the mailbox flag was raised still remained. That however, wasn’t the strange part.

The strange part was that the mailbox flag rose…by itself.

 

--

 

Hello Mr. Do Kyungsoo

Hold on a second, you’re making me confused now. What are you saying? Year 2011? Is this some kind of joke? It’s clearly the year 2013 at this moment, and I don’t think I’ve gotten the address wrongly. I’ve lived in this house for the past five months and before my living here, the house was vacant.

To prove this to you, I clearly remember that there is a stain caused by permanent marker on the lower part of the kitchen wall just by the entrance. I definitely resided in this house and I am positive that this is the year 2013!

Kim Jongin.

20th of December 2013

 

--

 

Kyungsoo read the letter twice and scoffed. But just to ensure that he was right and this Kim Jongin guy was wrong, he went to check his kitchen wall and indeed there were no stain on where Kim Jongin had told him the stain would be. He tossed the letter aside and ignored it for a few days, thinking that it was purely a scam and that it was stupid for him to even check if there was a stain on his kitchen wall or not.

And then one day his niece came for a visit. He left her in the kitchen when the house phone rang and after answering, returned to his kitchen to prepare a meal for his niece.  Upon entering though, he was horrified to find that his niece had drawn ugly blotches on his kitchen wall. Without thinking much at first, he had grabbed his niece and placed her on a chair, asking her to sit quietly while he tried to remove the stain she had drawn.

Just as Kyungsoo was rubbing onto the spot furiously, it was then that he realized that the blotches his niece had drawn was exactly at the place where Kim Jongin had told him it would be. Too stunned to continue, Kyungsoo put his cloth away and after his brother, Suho, came to collect his daughter back, Kyungsoo ended up staring at his kitchen wall for ages.

“What on earth…” Kyungsoo muttered to himself, “How is this possible?” He shook his head a few times and slapped his face. “No, no, Kyungsoo, no, that guy isn’t from the future. Don’t think anymore, this is but a coincidence. This is all a coincidence!”

Though as much as he tried to convince himself, after contemplating for another day, Kyungsoo decided to write back to Jongin and asked him what the heck was going on.

After putting the letter into the mailbox, he saw with his very own eyes yet once again, that the mailbox flag rose, indicating that there was a new letter in it. When he glanced into the mailbox, Kyungsoo was truly surprised to find a new letter inside. How did that happen? Wasn’t he there all along? How could the mailbox flag rise by itself? Most importantly, where did his letter go and how did that letter get there?

When he opened the letter to read its content, it was indeed from Jongin. And once again, dated two years in the future. Without wasting much time, he quickly scribbled something on a piece of paper and tossed it into the mailbox before raising the mailbox flag.

Kyungsoo waited.

It was two minutes later when he jumped in surprise upon the seeing the flag drop. And after a short while, it rose by itself again. He hurried to open it and, to nobody’s surprise, found another letter from Jongin.

 

Mr. Kyungsoo,

Is this seriously for real?

Jongin.

26th of December 2013

 

Kyungsoo gulped nervously, closed his eyes for a few seconds to calm his pounding heart before writing a response to that letter he had just received.

 

--

 

Jongin was walking on his way home when he had this sudden urge to go back to his old house. He remembered the weird new tenant Do Kyungsoo who kept on telling him that it was the year 2011 still. The new guy seem like the prankster type but Jongin does not have any time for jokes. He then thought that this would also be the perfect time to confront this Kyungsoo and make him understand that not everybody has the time to fool around.

He reached his old cottage home. It looked the same like the day he left it. Still beautiful, glowing a soft silver in the late afternoon sun. It looked strangely quiet and lonely... as if nobody has been living in it.

"That's strange." Jongin thought to himself. "Maybe the Kyungsoo guy is still out for work."

Jongin walked closer to the house and then he caught sight of his old mailbox. A rather mischievous thought crossed his head. He sat down on the sidewalk, took out a piece of paper from his bag, and scribbled something on it.

 

To Mr Do Kyungsoo,

URGENT!

We received a message claiming that you are illegally using electricity for this house. This is illegal under Korean Law and you could be fined or sent to jail once we found out that the claim is true. Please be advised that we will be doing an inspection tomorrow, December 27, 2013. We hope that you will be present on the said day for few questionings.

Korea Electric Power Corporation

 

Jongin reread what he wrote. He knew it's quite a stretch but then again, this prankster Kyungsoo guy could make use of a few heart-stopping moments for his lame time-switching story.

Biting his bottom lip, Jongin quietly tiptoed towards the mailbox. He was about to put the letter inside when he noticed something.

There is another letter in the mailbox. Despite the nagging voice in his head telling him not to take it, Jongin reached out a hand but was met with confusion when he saw that the said letter was addressed to him.

Eagerly, he read the letter softly in his mind at first, but eventually read the sentences out loud. “And then she made doodles on the wall of my kitchen, exactly where you had said the stain would be.” Jongin’s eyes widened and he gulped. Lowering the letter, he paced back and forth from where he stood, equally confused and wanting an explanation all the same.

When he finally got back his composure, Jongin quickly took out his notebook, wrote a few words onto the piece of paper before placing it carefully into the mailbox. He hesitantly lifted up the mailbox flag and took a step backward.

He was prepared to leave when the mailbox flag dropped down by itself, sending Jongin back into sheer confusion. And then a few seconds later, the flag rose by itself again. “What on earth—“ Jongin had to cover his mouth from spewing profanity. It took him a few minutes to gather courage and edge closer towards the mailbox. Standing at least a foot away from the mailbox, Jongin opened the lid and swallowed his saliva nervously.

There was a new letter for him from his respondent. “This is impossible,” Jongin told himself over and over again. “This man cannot be from the past,” He mumbled, but that did not stop him from opening the letter, which was folded into half, and reading its content. It was short and, like his, was scribbled onto a page from a diary.

He felt a lump lodged onto his throat as he read what was written.

 

Mr. Jongin,

Why not?

Kyungsoo,

26th of December 2011

 

“This is crazy.” Jongin whispered to himself, at the piece of paper he was holding. “This is crazy, Do Kyungsoo.”

 

Albeit that, Jongin found himself writing a reply to his somewhat unbelievable new found friend, and so did Kyungsoo to him. Just like that, both of them began to correspond to one another, both agreeing that the impossible has happened, and that it was strangely amusing.

 

They did, however, promised to keep in touch.

 

--

 

Mr Jongin,

So, I guess we should properly introduce ourselves. My name is Do Kyungsoo, age 26 and currently working as an architect. What about you?

Yours Truly,

Kyungsoo

28th of December 2011

 

--

 

Kyungsoo,

Hello, Kyungsoo. My name is Kim Jongin, and you may call me Jongin. I am actually working under my father’s company at the current moment too, and I am 25 years old. This is really freaky, you know that? But…I think it’s pretty amazing too. What do you think?

Best regards,

Jongin

30th of December 2013

 

--

 

Jongin,

I guess you can say that I have the exact same thought like you. Who would’ve thought that this mailbox is also a time machine? Say, what is the future like two years from now? Happy New Year, by the way.

Yours truly,

Kyungsoo

3rd of January 2012

 

--

 

Kyungsoo,

Happy New Year! Nothing much has changed two years from your time. I mean sure, we’re all flying around in spaceships and speaking telepathically to one another now, but other than that…nothing has changed much, really.

Best regards,

Jongin

10th of January 2014

 

--

 

Kyungsoo laughed at the sarcasm Jongin has written for him. He shook his head and pocketed the letter into his jeans, casually reminding himself to reply to Jongin after work. He marvelled at how comfortable he felt conversing with Jongin. Despite the time difference and despite how he still could not comprehend all these that were happening, Kyungsoo felt as though he has known Jongin for years, and he was glad that they were able to click with each other so fluently and so magnificently that it was as though the time difference never existed.

 

--

 

Time flew by and before they know it, it was already Valentine’s day. Though this was mostly a self-proclaimed holiday, Kyungsoo found himself working extra hours and only returning home at 10 at night. All the stress and pressure he had from his work disappeared though, the moment he saw the raised flag of his mailbox. Hoping it was a letter from Jongin, Kyungsoo rushed to open his mailbox, grinning several seconds later as he read the familiar penmanship on the front of the envelope.

He frowned, though, when he was back inside his cosy home and finally read what was written. It was a devastating news to hear on such an occasion, and Kyungsoo sighed and wished he could be there for his friend. If only they lived in the same year.

 

Kyungsoo,

Today is Valentine's Day, and I cannot help but to remember an incident that happened a year ago in 2013. While I was at St. Nicholas, I witnessed something really horrible. There was an accident just right across the street, and although I wished I could have done something to save the victim, I just couldn’t. It was too late by the time the ambulance came. Man, I guess when you're all alone on such a day, you start recalling things, huh? How is your day going, by the way?

Jongin.

14th of February 2014

 

Kyungsoo took out his pen and wrote a reply quickly. It did not take him long before he sealed the envelope and rushed outside to place the letter where it belonged. Then, he called it a night.

 

--

 

Jongin,

What a really sad news to hear from you regarding Valentine’s Day. May the man rest in peace.

I didn’t do much today. It was pretty much the same as the other weekdays. I worked extra hours today, so when I came back, I head straight to bed. The only special thing I did this day was writing this letter for you to read. I live such a sad life, don’t I?

Kyungsoo,

14th of February 2012

 

--

 

Once again, time flew by quickly. Even though they are only communicating with one another via the mysterious and magical mailbox, both Jongin and Kyungsoo had already established a rare friendship that they revealed to no one but their pet dogs.

It was another free day at work, and Jongin decided to leave work earlier than usual. He drove to his old home again, glad that nobody has decided to stay at it still. He eagerly anticipated what he would find in the mailbox and he felt himself breaking into a grin when he saw a newly written letter from Kyungsoo. He wasted no second to read what he had written.

 

--

 

Jongin,

Along with this letter I have attached a map to the newly opened amusement park just down the streets of our home. I think it would be fun if you walk around the amusement park by following the guide I have marked for you and what stalls you ought to try out. And for the fun of it, I have won something in the toss-the-ring stall, and if the uncle named Mr.Park is still around in your time, he would have kept that prize. Just approach him and tell him my name, and that I have left my prize and promised that you, Kim Jongin, would claim it for me two years later.

You should have seen Mr.Park’s face when I told him to keep that prize for me. He was surprised and thought for a moment that I was crazy. But I told him that I was perfectly sane, and paid him extra money just so he could keep that prize for two years. I really do hope he kept to his words. Oh well, no harm trying, right?

Yours Truly,

Kyungsoo

12th of March 2012

 

--

 

As crazy it may seem, Jongin went to the amusement park the following night as requested from Kyungsoo. He had with him, the map Kyungsoo had given him where he had labelled and marked the rides in the order of how he rode them during his time. He was smiling by the time he reached the third ride, shaking his head in disbelief as he stared at the ride in front of him. “I am not going to get on that, Kyungsoo. No way.”

Jongin looked at the remark Kyungsoo had written just on top of the Space shot icon on the map. “Come on, it’s fun. Try it! Don’t be a wuss!”  Gulping, he got into the queue obediently and prayed to God that he would survive the ride.

Sure, he was slightly sick after that, but subconsciously, he was smiling and laughing every few minutes. He couldn’t help but visualize Kyungsoo riding the same rides as he did, and reading his remarks on the map, he found himself agreeing with him on certain opinions regarding the rides.

And then he found the stall Kyungsoo had told him about; the one where he had won something from two years ago. Jongin approached the stall hastily and found that indeed, a Mr. Park was still working there! “Good Evening! Are you…are you Mr. Park?”

The man behind the counter nodded and smiled. “Yes, I am, young man. Care to toss a ring? You can win prizes if you manage to get at least three rings around the bottles.”

Jongin looked at the rows of bottle arranged and smiled at the thought of Kyungsoo succeeding his throws. “Oh no, I was sent here by someone actually, and I’m not sure if you can still remember, but I’m Kim Jongin.” He paused to see a reaction from the owner, but Mr. Park merely stared at him blankly. “A friend of mine, his name is Do Kyungsoo, he won something here two years ago, but he asked you to keep the prize for him instead—“

Mr. Park’s eyes gleamed with eagerness as he clapped his hands together. “Oh my, yes, yes, I do remember! It was such an unusual request but…oh my, has it been two years already? It felt only yesterday where he came by the stall. Oh, hold on, it’s here somewhere…” Mr. Park bent down for a few seconds before standing up straight again. He had a grin on his face as he passed the object in his hands to Jongin.

“To be quite honest, I wasn’t exactly expecting you to come. It was a rather weird request, and I wasn’t going to actually keep that prize anymore for him. But something told me that I should just wait for a few more days, and aren’t I glad I did!”

A miniature toy car now stood on Jongin’s palm. The car was painted red, and Jongin knew it was supposed to look shiny and new. It was obvious that the colour had faded, and the car had lost the shine it used to have, but Jongin was nonetheless just as delighted to have such an object in his hand.

 

--

 

Kyungsoo,

I got it. I got the miniature toy car you won two years ago. Mr. Park told me that he almost wanted to throw that car away, but he had this instinct not to. I guess he could predict that I was coming, huh? Anyway, I had a really great time last night in the park. I followed the order of how you rode them, and I cannot believe you made me go on the space shot ride. I was scared out of my wits!

Best regards,

Jongin

14th of March 2014

 

--

 

It was July when Jongin had this crazy idea of speaking to Kyungsoo through the phone. Since he had known Kyungsoo for almost a year, shouldn’t it be the time when they should at least communicate through the telephone?

Kyungsoo,

He began writing in his notepad.

I was thinking, alright, since it’s been almost a year we’ve known each other...why don’t you call me? We can have an actual conversation through the phone and I don’t have to always hang around the mailbox to talk to you.

He paused to glance at this watch. It was 9.28pm.

Why don’t you call me, on the 21st of July 2014, at…say…9.30pm? At least we’ll be able to finally hear each other’s voices. Wouldn’t that be grea--

Just then his phone rang, alarming Jongin as he jumped in his seat suddenly.  Jongin’s eyes widen as he looked at his watch and the figure of 30 blinked over and over again. The shrill rings from his phone continued, and snapping back into reality, he answered his phone in one swift movement and held his breath.

“Jongin?”

Jongin could feel his heart pounding. Why was he so nervous anyway?

“Yes?”

 “Hey man, it’s Baekhyun! I was calling you to ask—“

Jongin slumped back in his seat, disappointed.

 

--

 

Jongin,

Just a thought; is the world really going to end on December 21st? There are so many speculations about it. I cannot help but wonder.

Yours truly,

Kyungsoo

11th of August 2012

--

Kyungsoo,

Right. The world ended two years ago and now you’re speaking to a ghost. Isn’t this so cool?

Best regards,

Jongin

13th of August 2014

 

--

 

Jongin,

Reply 1997 is one hella awesome drama! There are a few more episodes left, and I cannot wait to find out who Shiwon’s husband is!

Kyungsoo

30th of August 2012

--

Kyungsoo,

It’s Yoonjae. Duh. Also, Taewoong’s wife is After School’s Jooyeon! She had a cameo appearance. She’s really gorgeous isn’t she?

Jongin

31st of August 2014

 

--

 

Jongin,

Damn it! Why the heck did you tell me those two details? Argh, Kim Jongin! Seriously!

Kyungsoo

2nd of September 2012

 

--

 

Jongin laughed upon reading the latest letter from Kyungsoo. He couldn’t help it.

 

--

 

Kyungsoo,

Here is a scarf and a pair of winter gloves for you. There will be a storm coming soon, and these might come in handy! You might also want to buy extra food to store and other supplies you think you’d use at home. You’re welcome!

Best regards,

Jongin

1st of December 2014

 

--

 

Jongin,

Thank you for the scarf and winter gloves! The storm was horrible! It lasted for such a long period of time too, so thank you for the heads up. At least I had sufficient supplies to keep me warm and alive, ha-ha. I’m so glad it’s over.

Hey, just out of curiosity, since Christmas is coming and it’s supposed to be a jolly season. Who are you going to spend the day with? This is by no means to pry on your privacy, but I was just…well, curious. Ha-ha.

Yours Truly,

Kyungsoo

15th of December 2012

 

--

 

Kyungsoo,

As a matter of fact; no one. I don’t really like this season to begin with anyway. I...am reminded of what happened to me in 2013 when I wanted to propose to my girlfriend. I planned everything out on Christmas, all the surprise and all the tiny details.

But as they say, the good things don’t last. We did not work out. She still left me. And I still don’t know why.

Now, Christmas only reminds me of the heartache. But anyway, enough about me. What about you? Do you have a special someone to celebrate Christmas with?

Best regards,

Jongin

19th of December 2014

 

--

 

Jongin,

I’m sorry to hear that, Jongin. I apologize for asking you such a question which reminded you of your past. But well, maybe the time isn’t right yet for both of you. Don’t worry, I’m sure if she’s meant to be, then she will be. Who knows she might return to you in the future and tell you that she’s finally ready. Just keep believing, Jongin.

And I am not going to lie but I have no special someone at the current moment, ha-ha.

Yours Truly,

Kyungsoo

20th of December 2012

 

--

 

Kyungsoo,

I was into her much. I gave her a necklace before whereby you can break it into two parts. When the two parts are combined with each other, the necklace forms a complete heart shape. But that’s not going to happen anymore because I’ve thrown the other half away into the pond behind our home.

It doesn’t matter now. I’ll be alright, you don’t have to worry for me too.

Hey, since we’re both going to be alone for Christmas, why not spend the day together? We can meet up someplace at the same time, and even if you aren’t there physically with me, it’ll still be great to know that you’re actually there albeit the time difference. What do you say?

Best regards,

Jongin

22th of December 2014

 

--

 

Jongin,

I think that’s a great idea. You do know Seoul Plaza right? They will always set up a Christmas tree by the main entrance, and there will always be fireworks when midnight strikes. How about we both go there on Eve, and watch the fireworks together?

Yours,

Kyungsoo

22th of December 2012

 

--

 

Jongin thought of how crazy everything has been lately; him communicating to a person from the past, and having that person replying back, and then them meeting each other yet not really meeting...

He muttered to himself over and over that this was madness, especially on what he was about to be doing as he walked across the street which led to Seoul Plaza. He reckoned that this ought to be all right. They were both lonely during Christmas Eve, so why not spent the night together (but yet not really together)? They weren’t doing anything wrong, so why was he still worrying?

Jongin still doubted his decision even when he reached the destination, even when he saw the tall Christmas tree looming above him, the lights sparkling and gleaming under the night sky, the ornaments swaying slightly to the direction of the wind. He felt that this was somewhat surreal. Even till this point, he still could not believe that Kyungsoo was from two years back, and that two years ago, Kyungsoo was probably standing at the very same spot he now stood, waiting for the fireworks, waiting for Christmas.

But then he thought about how happy these past few weeks had been for him, ever since he started communicating with Kyungsoo. It was odd; yes, weird; definitely. But he was happy.

As Jongin glanced at his watch and the figure of 11.47pm glared brightly into his eyes, he began to wonder if Kyungsoo was doing the same thing right at this moment in his time. Was he waiting under the Christmas tree as how they’ve planned it out together? Was he too, glancing at his watch and waiting for midnight?

Jongin watched the people around him, most of them being couples who were cuddling and whispering happily. They made him envious, no doubt, but deep down, he was envious not because there were couples around him.  He was envious because Kyungsoo wasn’t really here with him tonight. Of course that doesn’t mean I like him or something, Jongin quickly mused to himself, it’s just a shame that I cannot meet him in person yet.

When midnight finally arrived and fireworks began to paint the clear sky, subconsciously, Jongin smiled. Merry Christmas, Kyungsoo, wherever you are right now.

It was alright to be crazy, Jongin thought to himself, his eyes still transfixed on the bright fireworks, Maybe I need and want the craziness after all.

 

--

 

Kyungsoo,

Merry Christmas! Last night turned out to be surprisingly fun! It was awkward for me at first though because everyone had a pair and I was all alone. But hey. I really look forward for us to meet and do what we did for real. Anyhow, I took a photo of me and the Christmas tree. I bet you’re curious on how I look like, huh? For being such an amazing friend, I’ve attached along a photograph of myself. Aren’t I such a handsome lad?

Best regards,

Jongin

25th of December 2014

 

--

 

Jongin,

It was fun too and I totally understood what you were trying to say about everyone being a couple there and me being the lone guy. I really want to see you in person too, but I don’t think that’s possible for us yet. And oh my gosh, I took a photo at the huge Christmas tree too! Look, if you put these two photographs together, it looks as if we’re really standing next to each other! Isn’t this cool?

Yours,

Kyungsoo

26th of December 2012

 

--

 

Jongin grinned to himself. Two separate photographs were cut and pasted on the piece of paper he took out from the envelope. So this is Kyungsoo, Jongin thought as he looked at the photograph of the young man stuck beside his originally photograph. Only Kyungsoo would do this sort of thing, he chuckled to himself and pocketed the photographs.

 

--