1/1

What the Crown Carries

 

WHAT THE CROWN CARRIES



ix.

"I love you."

"I know."


i.



There's a buzz going around the kingdom. Rumor has it that a neighboring prince has challenged the king to his land and future bride. Word of said prince's good looks and luxurious lifestyle are all anyone talks about in between merchandise exchanges and friendly conversation.

If only the story was really that simple, then King Kyungsoo wouldn't have a headache this massive.

Truth be told, Kyungsoo wishes Jongin was coming to town to steal his land and whatever made-up bride his people created. That would make things so much simpler for Kyungsoo. No more stressing, no more royal meetings, no more servants following your every move. That would be the life.

But, of course, things are never as simple as they appear. There is a prince riding into the kingdom today, and as handsome as he is, he's no competition to King Kyungsoo. He's just another thorn in Kyungsoo's side, as if the king didn't already have enough to worry about.

"Are you excited your friend is coming to visit?" Kyungsoo's royal adviser and most trusted companion, Baekhyun, asks. While most, if not all, of Kyungsoo's old friends turned their backs on Kyungsoo as a friend to address him only as their king and nothing more, Baekhyun never changed. Kyungsoo's not sure if that's just because of Baekhyun's overwhelming pride though, not that he necessarily minds; he would love to have half of Baekhyun's self-assurance.

"I haven't seen him in over five years. I don't even know if I can call him a friend anymore," Kyungsoo replies, tone curt. He lies on his back on his bed, Baekhyun seated at his feet, legs sprawled over Kyungsoo's as they talk. If anyone walked in on them like this, they would throw a fit at how casual Baekhyun, son of a outcast noble, is around their king.

"Well, he obviously considers you his friend if he's willing to take the time to come and visit you. After all, the Kim's kingdom isn't exactly a day's ride away," Baekhyun replies, nudging Kyungsoo's leg with his foot. "Weren't you guys best friends when you were younger?"

Kyungsoo snorts, glancing over at Baekhyun, who returns the stare with a raised eyebrow. "Yeah, when we were twelve maybe. But that was forever ago."

It's Baekhyun's turn to roll his eyes now. "You weren't that young, I remember." Baekhyun had moved into the castle at Kyungsoo's father's request after his father was outcast. He stayed with the servants and helped out, and Kyungsoo would sometimes play with him when they were younger and Jongin wasn't around. Kyungsoo almost forgot Baekhyun knew about Jongin.

"I was a teenager," Kyungsoo retorts, deadpan. "That's young enough. Any time before all of this" – Kyungsoo waves his arms around, gesturing to the king's bedroom – "was long ago."

Baekhyun sighs, leaning back. "I guess. But still, you deserve a break. Maybe Jongin will–"

"Jongin isn't a break; he's just another task I have to take care when he's here, which I hope will not be long," Kyungsoo interrupts abruptly.

Baekhyun purses his lips at being cut off. King or not, he hates it when Kyungsoo would dismiss others' ideas off-handedly. The Kyungsoo he knew as a boy growing up was patient and quiet, always open to listening to others. But Baekhyun watched as Kyungsoo grew up, the weight on his shoulders getting heavier and heavier as his patience grew thinner and thinner.

"I went into town recently and heard some rumors about Prince Jongin," Baekhyun says, hoping to lighten the mood. He notices as Kyungsoo's eyes shift towards him in interest, and he takes the silence as an invitation to elaborate. "Apparently he's a jerk."

Kyungsoo lets out a laugh through his nose. "It wouldn't surprise me if he was seen that way. His head has always been too big for his shoulders."

"But they say he's gotten pretty bad," Baekhyun continues. "I heard he once spit on a villager for accidentally getting dust on his shoes."

Kyungsoo's quiet for a moment, and Baekhyun wonders if he struck a nerve. But instead, Kyungsoo calmly replies, "No, that's not Jongin."

Baekhyun raises an eyebrow in surprise. He didn't expect Kyungsoo to defend Jongin, not after complaining about him.

"He may be arrogant, but he is not rude," Kyungsoo says, shaking his head. "Even if I haven't seen him for six years, I know Jongin, and he would never do anything like that."

It's quiet after that. Baekhyun wants to ask more about Prince Jongin, the boy he remembers leading his king all around the palace, fingers wrapped around a thin wrist and a playful grin permanently stuck on both of their faces. He wants to know more about the man the king once called his best friend. But for now, he knows Kyungsoo won't say any more, so this is enough.

After all, the prince rides in tomorrow morning.


-


Prince Jongin is everything Baekhyun expects: tall, handsome, with teasing eyes and a strong aura about him. He looks young with that smirk never leaving his lips, but the way he carries himself screams of one of a king-to-be.

When the prince arrives, the palace is bustling with servants everywhere and all of Kyungsoo's court together, ready to welcome the visitor. They don't know why he's visiting, only that Kyungsoo confirmed the stay himself. Only a few in the court are aware of the King's old relationship with the prince, but they dare not say anything.

The women all start flushing the moment the prince enters. Baekhyun rolls his eyes at those who even swoon, before turning to the King who's trying his best not to show any emotions. But Baekhyun knows, even if Kyungsoo will never admit it, that Kyungsoo is excited to see his old friend. After all, the two were once inseparable. A bond like that never breaks, not even after years of separation; it gets rusted and it weakens, but it does not break.

When Prince Jongin reaches the throne, he takes a moment and bows deeply. Baekhyun can tell Kyungsoo is doing his best not to roll his eyes at his friend's tactics.

"Your Highness," Jongin's voice floats through the air. While some see this as respect, Kyungsoo knows Jongin's mocking him.

"Prince Jongin," Kyungsoo replies nonetheless. After all, they have images to uphold.

"Well, aren't you going to come hug me like you always did when we were kids?" Jongin asks, eyebrow arched. Kyungsoo shoots him a glare as surprised and suspicious stares are sent their way from half of Kyungsoo's palace.

"I get it, I get it," Jongin says before Kyungsoo can reply. "Now that you're some big, hotshot king, you can't even spare a hug on an inferior prince. I just can't believe you'd leave your best friend hanging like that," Jongin sighs, looking away dramatically. The court stares on in confusion at the scene unraveling in front of them.

"Oh, shut up," Kyungsoo mumbles under his breath, which only Baekhyun seems to catch with a hidden grin. "Welcome to my kingdom, Prince Jongin," Kyungsoo replies instead, ignoring the pointed stare Jongin gives him. He shoots him a stare that says, Later, before dismissing the court.

Jongin stands by the throne, looking around as Kyungsoo finishes up finalizing his schedule for the day with one of the court membes. He gives Baekhyun the majority of the work today before he excuses himself to take care of the guest.

"Done acting all high and mighty?" Jongin asks as Kyungsoo walks towards him.

"You would know all about that, wouldn't you?" Kyungsoo replies, rolling his eyes. As if Jongin is one to talk, with the way he regards himself as number one in everything.

"Oh, you've gotten snarky," Jongin says, grinning now. "I like it. It makes you kind of hot, you know."

If Kyungsoo's affected by Jongin's flirting, he doesn't say anything. Jongin is almost offput for a moment, wondering where his old Kyungsoo, who blushed at the word ',' went.

"I see you're still as troublesome as ever," Kyungsoo snaps, crossing his arms as Jongin snickers behind his hand.

"Me? Troublesome? Never," Jongin coos as innocently as he can, but Kyungsoo knows better. After all, he was there all those times Jongin would leave fake spiders in the princess' shoes and wait outside to hear their screams.

"Yeah, and that's why your parents sent you to me," Kyungsoo snorts. "To clean up your non-troublesome ways, huh?"

"They didn't send me," Jongin objects, crossing his arms now so his pose copied Kyungsoo's. "I asked to come here. The last time I saw you, you were hiding in the choir room and singing under your breath. Now you're a king with a fancy crown that barely fits your head and a kingdom in your hands. I had to see how you were faring."

"Thanks," Kyungsoo deadpans. It's nice to know his friend has such faith in him.

Jongin grins. "Aw, c'mon, Soo. Let's be real here – you were always so quiet and shy. I had to speak up for you when the nobles would ask us questions."

"I never asked you to–"

"But I did, didn't I? Because I was a great friend," Jongin says haughtily, and Kyungsoo just snorts.

"No, you just liked to hear yourself talk."

"I do have a strong voice, don't I?" Jongin grins at the disgusted look on Kyungsoo's face. His expression is still the same as it was when they were younger, when Jongin promised to marry Kyungsoo if no one else wanted to. Kyungsoo, flustered red, scrunched up his nose and pursed his lips in distaste at Jongin's offer. Kyungsoo was thirteen, and Jongin twelve.

"It's just as annoying as it was five years ago," Kyungsoo mutters, shaking his head.

"Hey, this is the voice that charms all the ladies," Jongin says. "Speaking of which, are there any nearby? If not, we should go find some, because it's been a while since I last had fun."

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. "You can go find them yourselves. I have business to take care of. You may be a prince, but I am the king–"

"Ohh, there it is again. The high and mighty business," Jongin coos, grinning. "You've really improved. You actually sound serious."

"Because I am," Kyungsoo replies through gritted teeth. "Seriously, Jongin, I don't have time to play anymore. I have an entire kingdom to look after, and–"

"And it can wait a day for you to catch up with your best friend," Jongin interrupts. "I'm only going to be here for a week."

"A week too long," Kyungsoo mutters.

Jongin quirks an eyebrow in amusement. "You know you missed me," he teases, elbowing Kyungsoo, who doesn't react.

Kyungsoo just stares, unamused. "I barely even noticed you were gone."

Jongin laughs, slinging an arm over his friend's shoulder. "That's not true. I heard you wrote to me for half a year every week, asking me to come back. In fact, some of the letters arrived. I have one of them right here–" Kyungsoo throws his arm back and glares at Jongin.

"Stop that. That was years ago," Kyungsoo huffs, annoyed that Jongin had to bring that up. He doesn't want to remember himself then, weak and dependent on the younger. Part of him is glad Jongin had to leave, now that he thinks about it – it gave him the chance to grow up.

Unfortunately, Jongin didn't seem to receive the same opportunity.

Kyungsoo sighs, turning on his heels and walking away without another word.

"Wait, where are you going?" Jongin calls out after him.

Kyungsoo doesn't even glance back at him as he leaves. "I have a kingdom to run. Try not to get killed in it while I'm gone."


ii.


Kyungsoo rubs his temple, figure hunched over his desk as he re-reads the treaty agreements his generals wrote with the neighboring Choi Kingdom. "They're such a greedy kingdom," he mutters to himself as he reads the military requirements.

"But what choice do we have?" he sighs, falling back into his chair as he runs his hand through his hair, disgruntled.

There's a knock at the door, and Kyungsoo straightens in his seat before announcing, "Come in." He watches as the Duke, followed by their top generals and military scholars, file into the room, bowing before Kyungsoo. A year ago, Kyungsoo would have gotten flustered, but he barely even blinks now.

"Do you have news from the Choi Kingdom?" he asks, getting straight to business. If there's one thing Kyungsoo learned from his father, it was to never waste time. Get to the point or get out, he would always say.

"No, not yet, Your Majesty," the Duke replies solemnly. "But we've received word from one of our informants from Lee's Kingdom. It seems they're beginning to build armories across the kingdom."

Kyungsoo's face darkens. His Kingdom and the Lee's have been on rocky terms since the late King Do's term. Kyungsoo's naïve hopes of making amends with the kingdom were dashed within the first few months of his succession, when the kingdom announced plans to declare war on the Do Kingdom if they did not agree to give up their lands in the Northeast.

"Do you know how many?" Kyungsoo asks, eyes unwavering.

"Not yet, Your Majesty. We're working on finding out."

"When you find out, bring the news straight to me," Kyungsoo says strictly. "And General Park?"

"Yes, Your Majesty?"

"I hope your soldiers are ready."


iii.


Kyungsoo finds Jongin strolling in the gardens before dinner. He's reluctant to approach the younger prince, but he knows he has to. It is the king's duty to watch over his guests, after all, no matter how unwelcome they are.

Though, truth be told, Jongin is not unwelcome; he simply has poor timing.

"Prince Jongin," Kyungsoo calls, tone formal.

Jongin turns around, eyebrow raised in surprise at Kyungsoo's entrance. "Are we back to speaking in formalities, King Kyungsoo?" he asks, lips curled upwards teasingly. He's dressed in white, and Kyungsoo tries not to think about how good he looks, set against the green garden with the sun shining on his dark hair.

"How would you like for us to speak, Prince Jongin?" Kyungsoo asks, not one to miss a beat with Jongin, even after years of separation.

"Preferably like the friends we are," Jongin laughs, sauntering over to Kyungsoo, who makes it a point not to stare. Jongin has definitely grown up in the past five years, his features sharper and eyes deeper. It's unnerving, but not unfamiliar.

"If you can still call us that," Kyungsoo retorts thoughtfully.

"What else would you call us?" Jongin asks innocently, stopping in front of Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo doesn't reply. Instead, he says, "It's almost time for dinner. The chef has prepared a special meal for your arrival, so be sure to arrive on time."

"Of course," Jongin answers, amused at the sudden return of Kyungsoo's serious aura. "Will you be there?" he asks expectantly.

"I have to," Kyungsoo practically snorts. "I'm the king. It would be rude of me to not show up."

"You're only going for manners, not for me?" Jongin asks, head tilted to the side curiously, and Kyungsoo just stares at him.

Jongin thinks he's about to change the subject again when, instead, Kyungsoo says, "Both." It's not much, but it's enough to pull Jongin's lips up into a smile as Kyungsoo formally excuses himself to get ready for dinner and leaves the garden.

"Much has changed, but one thing holds true," Jongin murmurs to himself as he presses his fingertips against a rose petal. "Kyungsoo is still Kyungsoo."



-



Dinner is nothing special. The food is fine, but the atmosphere is stiff with formalities and technical terms Jongin does not understand. Kyungsoo is busy with his advisors, so Jongin just passes the time by stuffing his mouth with food.

Once the plates are cleared, Kyungsoo asks Jongin if he would like a drink. Jongin, never one to turn down alcohol, agrees. While the wine is being prepared, the rest of Kyungsoo's advisors exit the room, leaving Kyungsoo and Jongin, and the occasional in-and-out servers, alone.

"Do you ever get tired of having people breathing down your neck?" Jongin asks, tilting his head to the side as he stares at Kyungsoo.

"They're my advisers," Kyungsoo replies curtly. "That's their job."

"And an envious job they have," Jongin murmurs, eyes locked with Kyungsoo's surprised ones. He seems like he's about to respond when the servers come back in with wine glasses and a bottle of wine.

Jongin watches as Kyungsoo takes a long sip of his wine. "I thought you said you didn't want to drink," he muses as he presses the glass to his own lips.

"That was before I became king," Kyungsoo replies dryly.

Jongin's lips quirk, but he doesn't smile.

"You could always just give me the crown," Jongin offers jokingly. "I'll help you run the kingdom."

Kyungsoo snorts. "Like the way you would 'help' me when we were kids, by sweeping the problem under the rug – literally?"

Jongin smiles cheekily. "It worked, didn't it?"

"Only until someone stepped on the rug to find broken glass under it," Kyungsoo deadpans, but there's a teasing tone to his words. He takes another sip of wine before saying, more seriously this time, "You don't want the crown, trust me. It's heavier than you think."

Jongin shrugs, leaning back. "I have a big head to hold it."

Kyungsoo actually laughs at that, and it's not the polite laugh Kyungsoo uses with his court or the empty one Kyungsoo tends to choke out. His eyes are sparkling, and Jongin wonders if this is how it feels to be breathless.There are speckles of gray in Kyungsoo's hair, but a rainbow in his eyes, and that's enough for now.

When Kyungsoo excuses himself to get ready for bed, Jongin bids him good night and sweet dreams as he watches Kyungsoo leave. He takes one last sip of his wine, missing when Kyungsoo glances back at him.


iv.


Kyungsoo lets out a breath of frustration as he goes over the military negotiations for the twelfth time that day. "If we build an armory here, it'd be cutting it close to the kingdom boundaries."

"Isn't that what we want, Your Majesty?" Taemin, one of Kyungsoo's newer advisors, asks, confused as he reads over the plans with Kyungsoo.

"No, I don't want to alarm the people just yet. We don't know if there's going to be a war yet for sure."

"Your Majesty, but I thought the Lees made their threat clear."

"Yes, but if we manage to secure the treaty with the Choi Kingdom, we may be able to evade this."

"Are the Chois really that strong?"

Kyungsoo frowns. Truth is, he doesn't know. While it's true that the Choi Kingdom has an expansive military that could readily hold off the Lee Kingdom, Kyungsoo is not sure how much the Choi's are willing to risk simply for a silver treaty with a small kingdom.

"Yes," Kyungsoo finally says, voice more sure than he is. He looks up from the plan and asks, "Where is Baekhyun?"

"I'm here, Your Majesty," said man says, knocking on the door before walking in. He relieves Taemin, who walks out hurriedly, before closing the door behind him. "You're still looking over this?" he asks as he stares down at the treaty.

"I'm still not sure how comfortable I am handing over half of our silver supply for protection," Kyungsoo replies. The worry in his voice may have slipped anyone else's ears, but Baekhyun's learned to recognized it loud and clear.

"It's worth the safety of our people," he says. "You know we could never taking on the Lee Kingdom by ourselves, not in this condition."

"We could always build a strong army."

"That would take months, if not years," Baekhyun reminds him of what he already knows. He looks up at the King, who stands, silent and calculating as he goes over countless plans in his head.

"With all due respect, King Kyungsoo, may I share something with you, as not only your advisor but as your friend?" Baekhun asks softly.

Kyungsoo looks up, surprised at Baekhyun's formal tone. He surveys the room, wondering if anyone else entered, as Baekhyun only uses formalities when in the company of others, but there's no one. He turns back to Baekhyun and finally answers, "Of course."

"Take a break, Kyungsoo," Baekhyun whispers, placing a hand over the treaty. He sees the protest already forming in Kyungsoo's eyes, and quickly continues, "I know this treaty is important to not only you, but our kingdom, but so is your health. I'm afraid you've spent too long stressing over this treaty. Your friend has come to visit, and you have barely spent any time with him. He'll only be here for a month. Don't you think you owe it to both him and yourself to make the most of the time?"

Kyungsoo frowns. "Jongin can wait; this treaty cannot. I thought you were smarter than this, Baekhyun," he says before looking back down at the treaty.

"I am," Baekhyun protests. "I'm smart enough to know that you need a break, or you'll crack."

"Nonsense," Kyungsoo snaps, getting irritated. How dare Baekhyun question his strength? Kyungsoo knows what he's doing, and he knows his limits. He can handle this. "If you're so insistent on messing around, why don't you just go and take a break yourself. Find Jongin and take him out to a tavern, and leave me to my work."

Baekhyun lets out a huff of air as he watches Kyungsoo fall back into his seat and take out his strategy plans again. "Perhaps I will," he says before bidding goodbye to Kyungsoo, who barely looks up to watch his friend elave.




-




Jongin is in the gardens again when Baekhyun finds him. He feels bad for the younger prince; he's been here four days already, yet he's only seen Kyungsoo twice. Baekhyun knows the prince has been asking about his king as well, from what the other court members have said.

"Your Highness," Baekhyun greets with a bow as he approaches Jongin.

Jongin nods his way. "You're Kyu– King Kyungsoo's adviser, right?"

"Yes, Your Highness, Byun Baekhyun at your service."

"Are you close to the king?" Jongin asks curiously as he eyes Baekhyun.

"I am his most trusted adviser, Your Highness," Baekhyun replies humbly, head still bowed.

"Well, if Kyungsoo can trust you, then I can too," Jongin states resolutely.

"Yes, Your Highness."

"And please, drop the formalities," Jongin adds. "Is that how you address Kyungsoo?" Baekhyun looks up in surprise.

"No, but–"

"Address me as casually as you would Kyungsoo," Jongin says with a grin.

Baekhyun blinks, shocked. He didn't expect that. Even after Kyungsoo insisted that the rumors of Prince Jongin were fabricated, Baekhyun still had doubts in him, but after speaking to Jongin himself, maybe his doubts were wrong. Maybe Jongin isn't as proud as they say.

"Did Kyungsoo send you to get me?" he asks, shifting the subject. Baekhyun notices how everything seems to lead back to Kyungsoo with Jongin.

"No," Baekhyun admits with a slight bow of his head, missing the disappointment in Jongin's eyes.

"Oh. What are you doing here then?" Jongin inquires. His voice is more curious than accusing, and it reminds Baekhyun of a little boy.

"I'm here to keep you company," Baekhyun replies plainly, and Jongin raises an eyebrow at that.

"How? Are you going to go to take me to a bar? Or perhaps a hostel?" Baekhyun sputters at the blunt question, but regains his cool when he sees Jongin grinning from ear to ear. "Your reactions are just like Kyungsoo's," he comments, amused.

"I suppose that happens when you spend so much time with the king," Baekhyun sighs, running a hand through his hair.

It's quiet for a moment, before Jongin asks, "How long have you known Kyungsoo?"

"For almost six years now."

Jongin hums in thought. "That's almost as long as I've been away." Jongin speaks as if Kyungsoo's kingdom were his home, instead of Jongin's own kingdom.

Baekhyun nods. "I befriended him during his training. Back then, he knew I was to be his adviser, so it was inevitable." Baekhyun notices Jongin's silence, and hesitates before asking, "Are you... going to be king of your kingdom?"

Jongin blinks in surprise at that. "Oh, no," Jongin laughs, but it sounds bitter. Baekhyun would know – it's the same laugh as Kyungsoo's. "My parents would never allow that. They-they're ashamed of me." The way Jongin comes out and says it sounds as if he's not ashamed, but the way his eyes shift to the ground say otherwise.

"Is it because of your – forgive me for saying – scandalous lifestyle?" Baekhyun asks. He knows more about Jongin than he's revealed to Kyungsoo; rumors involving gambling and drinking problems made their ways to Baekhyun's ears. But in hopes of shielding Kyungsoo from the truth and their harm, he keeps those secrets to himself.

Jongin just laughs again, and it's an empty sound. "Yeah," is all he says.

They stand in silence for a while. Baekhyun takes a seat on one of the benches in the garden, while Jongin, to his surprise, opts for sitting on the grass. It doesn't seem like something the proud prince of the Kim kingdom would do.

"Jongin, if you don't mind me asking, what happened?" Baekhyun asks, and Jongin looks up, confused.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, I actually knew you before you left," Baekhyun admits. "I know of yours and Kyungsoo's close friendship, and back then, I would have never guessed you'd turn out like this." Baekhyun knows he should be flustered with his honesty towards the prince he's only spoken to now, but speaking to Jongin feels just like speaking to Kyungsoo: natural.

Jongin lets out a long breath. "I was actually a pretty good guy when I was with Kyungsoo," he finally says, quiet as he plays with the grass at his feet. "I mean, I pulled him into pranks and made him do bad things, but I was good, you know? I wasn't the punk my parents and kingdom now look at me as."

"What happened?" Baekhyun asks again, but softer this time.

"I don't know," Jongin admits, frown gracing his features. "I just didn't have much to do without Kyungsoo around. The other palace kids already had friends, not that I wanted to hang out with them anyway. They were all so–so proper," Jongin says, shuddering. "They didn't want to get their knees scratched up like me and Kyungsoo would."

Jongin's silent for a moment before softly saying, "Now Kyungsoo's one of them," eyes losing their spark.

"Don't give up on him yet," Baekhyun says, frowning. "He's still the Kyungsoo you knew, I think. He just learned to bury that part deep, deep down when he became king." Baekhyun bites his lower lip, wondering if he should keep going. He knows Kyungsoo would hate him for sharing this with someone else, but then again, this someone else is Kim Jongin, Kyungsoo's once-upon-a-time closest friend.

"You know, you should have been there when he succeeded his father," Baekhyun murmurs. "He could've used the support."

"No," Jongin says, watching Kyungsoo's shadowy figure make its way across the court, followed by a group of assistants. "He doesn't need me anymore." Jongin sighs and lays back down in the grass.

Baekhyun watches as Kyungsoo re-enters another wing of the palace, door closing behind him. "He needs you more than you think," Baekhyun finally says, ignoring the surprised look on Jongin's face. And unfortunately more than you can help now.


v.


Baekhyun finds Kyungsoo in the king's bedroom later that night after his conversation with Jongin. He can tell the meeting with the general and advisers didn't go well by the way Kyungsoo is staring out the window, a blank look on his face acting as a barrier from his true feelings.

"Would you like me to run you a bath?" Baekhyun asks softly as he approaches Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo doesn't turn around. "Will a bath wash away all of these troubles?" Baekhyun doesn't have the chance to reply as Kyungsoo continues. "Or better yet, will the bath wash away the crown?" he asks, shaking his head.

Even if Kyungsoo isn't wearing his crown right now, Baekhyun can still see the weight it holds on Kyungsoo's shoulder, bringing him down.

"I'm afraid not," Baekhyun finally replies, placing a gentle hand on Kyungsoo's shoulder. "But it will help you relax."

Kyungsoo laughs, and it's that bitter sound Baekhyun is getting so tired of hearing. He shrugs off Baekhyun's hand and turns to look at his adviser. "How can I relax when my people are dangling at the edge of war?"

Baekhyun frowns, letting his arm drop to his side as he takes a seat next to Kyungsoo. He lets Kyungsoo continue.

"And the treaty... I don't even know if it's worth it anymore," Kyungsoo admits with a scowl.  "With half the silver supply gone, we could go into debt," Kyungsoo laughs coldly. "Which is worse: a kingdom in poverty or a kingdom in bloodshed?"

It's quiet when neither of them have the answer. Baekhyun looks over at Kyungsoo, and there's something different this time. His face is blank, but his eyes are an open window. Baekhyun can see the cogs turning in his brain.

"The Chois have a daughter, you know," Kyungsoo suddenly says, very quiet.

Baekhyun does not react. "I know," is all he replies.


vi.


Kyungsoo runs into Jongin the next morning after breakfast. He's surprised to find the younger prince in the library of all places.

"I didn't know you could read," Kyungsoo says, startling the younger boy who is looking through the shelves.

Jongin turns around and his face lights up with a smile as soon as he sees the king. Kyungsoo tries not to think of what that means. "Your jokes have gotten better," Jongin replies as he walks over to Kyungsoo, two books in his hand. He sets them on the table in front of Kyungsoo and gestures for him to sit.

"What are you reading?" Kyungsoo asks, leaning over to grab the books. He's surprised to see they're both military strategy books. "What are you reading these for? Is your kingdom going to war some time soon?"

Jongin shakes his head. "No, I just like to read these in my free time. Military strategy was the only subject I could ever stay awake for during tutoring sessions."

Kyungsoo quirks a smile at that. He remembers when, as children, he would suddenly be disrupted during his tutoring session by a dancing Jongin, twirling his arms carelessly as he whisked Kyungsoo away from his books and startled tutor. His parents would always berate him, but that never stopped Jongin from doing it again and agan.

"What are you doing here?" Jongin asks, bringing Kyungsoo out of his thoughts.

"This is my castle," Kyungsoo replies wryly, leaning back in his chair once he realizes how close their faces are.

Jongin chuckles. "Yeah, but usually you're surrounded by your advisers 24/7 as you move from one room to another. I swear, I've only seen you alone a handful of times."

Kyungsoo shrugs. "I've been busy."

"Too busy for your best friend," Jongin sighs woefully, and Kyungsoo's almost offended that Jongin is trying to guilt trip him.

"I'm here now, aren't I?"

"Only by chance," Jongin points out. "Which brings me back to the question of 'what are you doing here?'" Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow for clarification, which Jongin provides. "You're the king. I'm sure you have no time for the leisure of reading."

"I don't," Kyungsoo admits. "But I had free time before my next meeting, so I decided to visit. I didn't know you would be here."

Jongin smiles. "Maybe it's fate."

Kyungsoo snorts. "And maybe I should leave now." He makes a show of getting up to leave, but Jongin grabs him by the wrist. The action is so urgent it catches Kyungsoo off-guard.

"Stay," Jongin says. It's just one word, but it has the power to move Kyungsoo as he sits back down, eyes never leaving Jongin, who just smiles softly.

"So what have you been up to?" Kyungsoo asks, clearing his throat and breaking eye contact to try to soften the tension.

"Just wreaking trouble wherever I go. You know, the usual," Jongin jokes, and Kyungsoo cracks a smile at that.

"Same old Jongin," he murmurs, but there's fondness in his voice.

"What about you?" Jongin asks, leaning in closer. "What has the king been up to?"

Kyungsoo frowns at the title, but answers anyway. "I've been running a kingdom."

"Is it everything you dreamed of?" Jongin asks, voice softer this time as he remembers a young Kyungsoo gushing over how he's going to be the best king ever and how everyone will love him. Jongin never doubted him either.

Kyungsoo is quiet, and Jongin nods, his silence all the answer he needs.

"Well, if you ever need a break," Jongin offers. "There's always a place for you at the Kim kingdom." He flahses Kyungsoo a toothy grin, but it's not reciprocated.

An uncomfortable silence grows over them. Kyungsoo looks deep in thought, and Jongin wants to pull him out or at least join him. He leans over and grabs Kyungsoo's hand, startling him back to earth, and smiles gently at him this time.

"I missed you," he finally says, and Kyungsoo can't do anything but stare. "You should really come visit. I'd like it a lot."

Suddenly the air is too thick for Kyungsoo to breathe, and he just nods numbly. Memories of a younger, teenager Jongin gathering up Kyungsoo in his arms and whispering, "I'll miss you so much," come rushing back after years of Kyungsoo trying to forget. Sometimes he's thankful that Jongin left, because Jongin has always been Kyungsoo's worst – and best – distraction.

"I have a meeting to go to," he announces suddenly, standing up abruptly and breaking contact. Jongin tries not to let his disappointment show at the lost of warmth.

Jongin doesn't move to make him stay. Instead, he just watches him go and wonders if this is how it felt when Kyungsoo had to watch Jongin leave.


vii.


"Excellent. I'll send word to the Choi Kingdom as soon as possible." The general rolls up the finished treaty and bows to the king before exiting.

Kyungsoo nods stoically from his seat. He watches, unblinking, as his court files out, all of them praising Kyungsoo's decision.

"A strong king does not make the right decisions. He makes the tough ones," Baekhyun says once it's just the two of them left.

Kyungsoo turns to look at him, face blank. "Are you saying I made the wrong decision?" Kyungsoo asks. He doesn't sound accusatory, though; his voice is just wary.

"No," Baekhyun replies quietly. "That was a quote your father used to say once he finished a deal."

Kyungsoo just stares.

Baekhyun clears his throat and continues, "When will you make the announcement?"

Kyungsoo doesn't say anything. "When should I?" he asks instead.

"When you're ready," Baekhyun replies as if it's an easy question. But nothing is easy these days for Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo laughs at that. "I'll never be ready," he admits, not even caring if he sounds weak because Baekhyun is his only audience and Baekhyun already seems to know everything about Kyungsoo, even things Kyungsoo has never admitted.

"Then postpone it," Baekhyun says, even though both he and Kyungsoo know that's impossible. The longer they push it off, the more chances the Chois have to go back on their agreement, and Kyungsoo just cannot risk that.

Kyungsoo takes in a deep breath. "An engagement is the only way," Kyungsoo finally says. "It's the only way to keep our kingdom's silver and to assure our safety."

Baekhyun nods, eyes level with Kyungsoo's unfocused ones. "I know, and I respect your decision."

"An engagement is the only way," Kyungsoo repeats, and Baekhyun wonders if he's doing it to reassure himself now. "An engagement is the only way."


viii.


Jongin doesn't know how to react when he sees Kyungsoo in front of his room one night. He hadn't seen the older the entire day after their chance meeting in the library, and from the looks of it, that didn't go well. Kyungsoo's eyes are blurry, and Jongin wonders what happened. Part of him wants to wrap the older up in his arm and press kisses to his forehead, but the rational part of him simply invites him in to talk instead.

"Are you okay?" Jongin asks softly after he's closed the door behind him. Kyungsoo is sitting on Jongin's bed, eyes still unfocused, and Jongin bites his lower lip worriedly. He's never seen Kyungsoo like this before.

Before Jongin even reaches Kyungsoo, however, the older says something that knocks the wind out of Jongin.

"Sleep with me."

Jongin thinks he must be dreaming now because there is no way Kyungsoo just said that. Not his Kyungsoo, the one who would smack Jongin in the arm if he ever even brought up something slightly ual.

"W-What?" Jongin chokes, stumbling forward. If Kyungsoo is joking, there's no amusement in his eyes to show it.

"Sleep with me," Kyungsoo repeats, and Jongin tries to remember just how much alcohol he had during dinner.

"Are you okay?" Jongin asks instead, frowning as he presses a hand to Kyungsoo's forehead in concern. His eyes widen into saucers as Kyungsoo takes his hand and presses a kiss onto the back of his hand, before pulling him close so their faces were centimeters apart.

Jongin swears Kyungsoo's breath is more intoxicating than any alcohol could ever be.

"Make me forget," Kyungsoo whispers, and Jongin doesn't entirely understand what that means but he knows Kyungsoo isn't drunk – his breath smells like sweet mint, not bitter beer – and hopes Kyungsoo really means this.

Because the kisses don't feel fake, and neither do the heated touches and long moans. Jongin lets himself stop thinking as their bodies press closer and closer, their bare chests touching. All that matters right now are their hearts beating in sync as their breaths are lost to the night.

 

x.

If Jongin is suspicious, he doesn't say anything. When Kyungsoo drags him into his room in the middle of the day, he doesn't protest. He doesn't even question the tears that fall from Kyungsoo's eyes when they're asleep, because he knows it's none of his business, even if he wishes it was.

Jongin is suspicious, but he doesn't say anything because he doesn't want any of it to stop. He doesn't want reality to put an end to his fantasy. He wants Kyungsoo to stay by his side. He wants things to be the way they were five years ago, when they were careless teenagers.

But things aren't the same, and Jongin has to swallow that sad truth every time Kyungsoo puts his crown on and leaves the room with advisers attached to his side.

Still, they can at least pretend when they're alone.

They don't do much together. After all, there's only so much to do within the castle walls.

When the castle is busy, Kyungsoo takes him out to walk around the garden – and Jongin would share his surprisingly impressive knowledge of gardening with the king – and they would stroll together, secretly holding hands when they think no one is looking. Sometimes they would go to the library and Kyungsoo would read Jongin some of his favorite classics. When Jongin is feeling especially bold, he drags Kyungsoo to the kitchen, their old favorite hiding spot, to snack on foods and laugh at each other as they smear food over the other's face.

As grand as everything is in the castle, it's not enough to keep the two busy though, so they opt for spending their time together in one of their room, laying around and sharing stories. It's an act of innocence, and it's Jongin's favorite, even better than their not-so-innocent acts together.

"When I turned eighteen, I remember sneaking into a tavern in town and drinking until I couldn't feel anymore," Jongin recalls, head leaning against Kyungsoo's.

"Why?" Kyungsoo asks, tracing endless patterns on the back of Jongin's hand mindlessly.

"I don't even know. I just got sick of everything going on, with my sister's marriage and everything. It all got so boring and so-so–"

"Tedious?" Kyungsoo finishes for him.

"Yeah," Jongin sighs, turning so his lips are on Kyungsoo's forehead. "Does it ever get tedious for you?"

"All of the time," Kyungsoo admits. Jongin has learned not to push Kyungsoo's answers; he will tell Jongin all he plans to tell him, nothing more but nothing less either.

Instead, Jongin leans over and presses a chaste kiss to Kyungsoo's lips. "Do I make it better?" he asks, brushing Kyungsoo's hair back as the older smiles up at him.

"Yes," Kyungsoo replies truthfully, almost bashfully, which is new for the king Kyungsoo Jongin has become accustomed to. "You make it much better," he whispers, hand coming up to grasp Jongin's.

They lay there, smiling at each other before Kyungsoo turns away and continues the stories. Jongin childishly asks him for a bed time story when night falls, and Kyungsoo laughs but gives in anyway.

"Once upon a time, there was a king," Kyungsoo starts, mock-seriously. "And he had a very annoying prince following him around."

"A very annoying, but handsome prince," Jongin interjects, and Kyungsoo flicks him on the forehead playfully before continuing.

"Eventually, after a lot of pestering, the prince finally makes a dent in the king's heart."

"His cold, rock hard – but not as rock hard as the prince's abs – heart."

Kyungsoo's eyes narrow at Jongin, whose grinning stupidly at him now. He knows Jongin is just playing around to get a reaction out of Kyungsoo. "Who's telling the story here?"

"You," Jongin coos, and Kyungsoo rolls his eyes.

"That's right, so shut up," Kyungsoo says, and Jongin closes his mouth. "As I was saying, the prince somehow weasels his way into the king's heart. They hang out, make out here and there, make love, and spend their days talking about dumb things, but it's okay because at least they're together."

"And they all live happily ever after?" Jongin asks, staring up at Kyungsoo expectantly. Kyungsoo swallows hard and just smiles.

"And the king is happy to be with the prince," Kyungsoo whispers, and it's apparently enough for Jongin, who wraps his arm around Kyungsoo and presses their foreheads together, eyes locked. Kyungsoo intertwines their fingers and kisses each of Jongin's fingertips before closing his eyes.

Jongin relishes in the fact that the world is in the palms of their hands when they're with each other. Together, he wants to believe that they can do anything.

Well, almost everything.


xi.


Time flies out the door before Kyungsoo can catch up to it. Before he knows it, it's the last week of his stay. They're in Jongin's room, Jongin's head on Kyungsoo's chest as the two stare up at the ceiling blankly, talking about everything from the weather to music they like and dislike.

"There's going to be a ball," Kyungsoo suddenly says, absentmindedly Jongin's hair.

"What for?" Jongin asks, glancing up at Kyungsoo, who just continues to stare off into the distance, eyes unfocused.

"Celebration," Kyungsoo replies, voice tight. Jongin can tell he's hiding something, and something about the way Kyungsoo's jaw clenches and unclenches makes Jongin want to know what it is.

"Celebration of what?" Jongin asks despite knowing better, and Kyungsoo doesn't reply. He stops Jongin's hair, and Jongin's about to sit up to get a better look at the older when Kyungsoo speaks.

"Why do you care?" Kyungsoo finally asks. "It's a ball and there will be food and wine and that is all you need to know."

Jongin hums, stopping himself before he can ruin the moment. "I suppose," he murmurs thoughtfully. "Will you save me a dance?"

Kyungsoo just laughs before bringing up another old story, drowning them back in the familiar childhood nostalgia Kyungsoo wishes he could live in instead of this reality he's been trying to avoid.



xii.


Kyungsoo doesn't know who or what to expect at the ball; he had given Baekhyun full responsibility of planning everything. Baekhyun did not object either, happy to know Kyungsoo was spending the time relaxing instead. He knows his friend deserves it.

Luckily, Baekhyun has good taste. Kyungsoo watches as the castle servants run around putting up last minute decorations and setting up the plates for the food table. Everything looks in place, so Kyungsoo returns to his room to finish getting ready. There's a knock at the door, and Kyungsoo expects it to be Jongin, but instead in walks Baekhyun.

"The ballroom looks good," Kyungsoo tells him, staring at him through the mirror as he fixes his tuxedo.

"Thank you," Baekhyun replies with a smile.

"When will the guests start arriving?"

"Around sundown," Baekhyun answers, hesitating before adding, "The Chois will be arriving a little later."

Kyungsoo's shoulders stiffen for a passing moment before his body relaxes again. "Make sure they are welcomed warmly when they arrive," he says, tone more formal this time.

Baekhyun nods and excuses himself to watch over the last of preparations.

Kyungsoo refocuses on his reflection when the door clicks closed. "Tonight is the big night," he murmurs to himself. He tells himself he's had plenty of time to prepare himself for this, but all the time in the world doesn't seem like enough anymore.

Because now all he can think about is one person's reaction in particular, and how heartbroken they are both going to be afterwards.


-


The ballroom is bustling with people by the time the sun fully sets. Kyungsoo greets them all politely before excusing himself to grab something to eat, all the while scanning the room for a familiar face. He hasn't seen Jongin yet, but he's not surprised; the prince is not the most timely person Kyungsoo knows.

When Kyungsoo finally spots Jongin, he starts making his way over to the younger, only to be stopped by Baekhyun.

"I'm sorry to interrupt you, Your Majesty, but the Chois have arrived," Baekhyun tells him in a lowered voice. Kyungsoo stiffens, tearing his eyes from Jongin to see the Chois and the princess enter. The princess is pretty, but nothing compared to Jongin, Kyungsoo thinks without meaning to.

"Thank you, Baekhyun," Kyungsoo replies formally with a nod. He takes one last look at Jongin, who is already walking away, and bites his lip as he forces himself to walk towards the Chois instead.

"Welcome!" he greets, putting on the happiest face he can, even if it's the mirror opposite of how he truly feels. "We are honored you could make it."

"Of course," the king replies. "We have to be here for the announcement."

Kyungsoo smiles tightly. "Yes, of course," he says before turning to Princess Jimin. She's young, much younger than Kyungsoo, but she's as poised as someone twice her age. Kyungsoo bows and introduces himself. Princess Jimin is polite and formal, but nothing special.

"When shall we make the announcement?" Kyungsoo asks as he leads the Choi family to a reserved area.

"As soon as possible," the king answers, eyebrow raised. "Isn't it the purpose of this ball, after all? There's no point in delaying it."

Kyungsoo nods, but inside he's screaming for another five minutes. "Of course," Kyungsoo replies through a clenched smile. He leads them to the front of the ballroom where the stage is. Baekhyun notices and gets the orchestra to stop playing.

When Kyungsoo reaches the stage, he hears the crowd slowly quiet down. He can feel his throat close up as all eyes fall on him, one in particular causing Kyungsoo's palms to sweat

"Thank you all for coming," Kyungsoo starts loudly, inwardly cringing at the sound of his voice. "You must be wondering why we invited you all here. Tonight is a big night for not only our kingdom, but the Chois" – Kyungsoo gestures to the royal family standing beside him. He hesitates on the next part, gulping before continuing –"for we are announcing the engagement between Princess Jimin and myself."

There's a collective silence in the ballroom for a split second before a roaring applause sweeps the room. Kyungsoo looks around, nodding and smiling at the crowd while looking for Jongin. He sees him and wishes he didn't, because Jongin is staring at him, and even with the distance between them Kyungsoo can still see his heart breaking in his eyes.

After what feels like forever, Kyungsoo reluctantly breaks eye contact with Jongin and refocuses on what he's doing. He takes in a deep breath and walks over to the Choi family, smiles, and bows. The princess does the same, and they walk off, hand in hand, to dance together. The crowd makes way for them, and Kyungsoo tries his hard to keep his smile on as he sees the only face he cares for walk out of the ballroom.




xiii.

When the ball is over and everyone has left, Kyungsoo does not return to his own room; instead, he heads straight to Jongin's in hopes of finding the younger prince and explaining everything to him. He knows words won't be enough at this point, but he can try.

Kyungsoo knocks twice, like he always does, before letting himself in, closing the door quietly behind him. Jongin is standing over his bed, and Kyungsoo gulps, not knowing what to do next.

"Jongin...?" he asks slowly, walking over to him.

Said boy's shoulders are moving up and down quickly, as if he's trying to catch his breath. Kyungsoo stops mid-step as Jongin shakes.

Then everything comes falling down.

"YOU CHOSE YOUR CROWN OVER ME!" Jongin screams, not even caring who hears. He turns around, eyes red and Kyungsoo wonders if it's from his tears or his rage or if it's both.

"No, I chose life over you, Jongin," Kyungsoo whispers, trying his best to act calm because he knows yelling back at Jongin won't do anything. Besides, he doesn't have the strength to argue. "I chose my life, my people's lives... your life. How would your father feel if he found out you were in love with another man?"

"Please, don't make this about me. My father doesn't give a rat's about me any more, and apparently, you don't either," Jongin laughs bitterly. "This is all about you and your 'duties' as king, and you know what? Damn you, Kyungsoo. Damn you and your crown and everything." Jongin throws something into the bag in front of him that Kyungsoo finally notices.

"Are you... packing?" Kyungsoo asks, eyeing the bags on Jongin's bed warily. His mind whirls at the idea of Jongin leaving already.

Jongin looks at him and searches for something, anything to indicate he should stay, but is met with nothing. He snorts and continues stuffing his belongings into the bag. "Did you forget? I'm only staying for a month, and the month ends tomorrow." Jongin pauses mid-throw of his shirt as he turns to look at Kyungsoo, lips quirked in an ugly fashion so bitter and broken and not Jongin that it hurts Kyungsoo to see it.

"I guess everything works out for you. I leave and you get your princess and a good before everything," Jongin bites out, throwing his shirt into the bag with more force than necessary. Kyungsoo flinches as if the shirt hit him instead.

"That's not true," Kyungsoo says quietly, staring at Jongin, who refuses to look back.

"I don't know what to believe," Jongin mumbles, running a hand through his hair in frustration. "You really fooled me, you know, Kyungsoo? You really had me thinking we could have our happily ever after." Jongin spits those three words out like poison, and they hit Kyungsoo like acid.

"You know we could have never," Kyungsoo whispers, slowly losing his voice the more Jongin speaks and breaks his heart. "You know I'm the king and I have to produce an heir." Jongin opens his mouth to protest and Kyungsoo interrupts, already knowing what he's about to say, "A blood heir. He has to be mine, Jongin."

"And why can't I be as well?" Jongin whispers, and Kyungsoo wonders where they went wrong. Maybe this really is all his fault, maybe Kyungsoo went over the line a long time ago. He should have stopped, and maybe then Jongin would be leaving with a smile instead of tears streaming down his cheeks.

"I'm sorry," Kyungsoo breathes, taking a step closer. Jongin doesn't move away, and Kyungsoo takes it as a chance to close the distance between them by wrapping his arms around Jongin's neck and pulling them together. He can feel his heart race as Jongin reaches up to trace his fingers along the side of Kyungsoo's face.

"Did you ever love me?" Jongin asks, voice so soft and sad Kyungsoo wishes he could erase all doubt from his mind with kisses.

"I love you," Kyungsoo sighs, pressing his face into Jongin's shoulder. "But love isn't enough to save my kingdom."

Jongin lets out a shaky breath as he presses his lips to Kyungsoo's hair. "Maybe, in another life, we could've... could've worked out," Jongin whispers, voice barely audible above the sound of Kyungsoo's racing heart.

"I don't think so.... Maybe we were destined to always be together but not"– he looks down at their intertwined fingers and swallows thickly –"together."

Kyungsoo looks up just in time to watch Jongin turn away, and he pretends not to notice the glistening in his eyes. He smiles, but it doesn't reach his eyes or his heart. It's a diplomatic smile, an ending to a deal.

Jongin opens his mouth to speak, but Kyungsoo leans forward and presses their lips together, drinking in any of the words lingering on the tip of Jongin's tongue. The kiss is desperate, and tastes nothing like the everything they mean.

I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry, Kyungsoo thinks over and over as he tastes the salt on Jongin's lips. Instead, what comes out between breathy kisses is, "I love you, I love you," as if Kyungsoo can't help the words from spilling over his lips, as if it's the last time he'll say it and mean it.

Jongin just lets him continue to chant, "I love you," like a mantra and drinks up the apologies for as long as he can, knowing they're the last he'll ever get.


xiv.

Jongin leaves at sunrise, pressing a kiss to the back of Kyungsoo's hand as he slowly gets out of bed and prepares for the long journey back to his kingdom. He's quiet as to not wake up Kyungsoo, knowing that if the other were to wake up, he wouldn't have the heart to say goodbye to his face. He doesn't look back once as he pushes the door open and steps out, knowing that if he does, he'll go running back to Kyungsoo in a heartbeat. He swallows what's left of his pride as he walks away.

Just two months later, Jongin and his family receive the invitation. In cursive writing, Jongin can barely make out the words as he crumbles the paper, along with his heart, in his hands.

 

 

The Kim Family is cordially invited to King Kyungsoo and Princess Jimin's wedding this December as the King's honored guests.












ix revisited.

Kyungsoo had never done anything like this before. He'd had before, sure, but never like this, never so abruptly and never with someone who actually meant something to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo wondered if there was another way, if he should have come out to Jongin differently to show his feelings.

It was a scary thought, how much Jongin meant to Kyungsoo, but even scarier was the idea of losing him.

Lying in Jongin's arms, Kyungsoo pushed any thoughts of a treaty out of his head and let himself focus on the man pressing soft kisses to Kyungsoo's sweaty forehead. If he had to choose any moment to live in, he would choose this one in a heartbeat.

"Hey, Soo," Jongin murmurred, breath brushing over Kyungsoo's ear. Kyungsoo doesn't say anything; he just shifts to show Jongin he's listening.

Kyungsoo wasn't expecting what came next. Even if he knew it, he wasn't expecting it as Jongin's lips moved and out fell, "I love you."

Kyungsoo stilled in Jongin's arms. He could feel Jongin's chest rise and fall as he breathed in hope and exhaled disappointment, nodding and pressing his lips into Kyungsoo's hair.

"I know," Jongin murmured when Kyungsoo didn't reply. He almost sounded defeated, and Kyungsoo wanted to ask what he knew. Did he know Kyungsoo couldn't answer? Did he know Kyungsoo's heart was racing in his chest, pounding to get out? (Did he know Kyungsoo loved him too?)

The answer was the same to all of those questions anyway – yes.

"Let's just sleep," Kyungsoo whispered instead, digging his face deeper into Jongin's chest.

They closed their eyes. Kyungsoo wished the morning would never come, and Jongin wished that night could last forever.

Most of all, they wished love could be enough.

 


 

A/N:

- thank you again to kristy for bidding on me! :) and for being so patient with me ;;
- my medieval(?) lexicon is literally nonexistent omg i'm sorry most of the technical stuff in this fic is bs
- this was betaed by myself at like 2AM so, while i really did try to read everything thoroughly, please understand i haven't stayed up this late in a long time because school has made me a weak who needs to sleep before midnight or i will pass out OTL i'll probably reread everything tomorrow night again just in case
- i'm sorry btw i really wanted this to be happy but i just couldn't make it happen realistically ;A;
- i'm participating in community.gif?v=556?v=110exorelieffund for typhoon haiyan. bids end november 30th, so this is sort of a last minute pimp, but oh well. here's my post, but other authors/artists are over there as well, if you're interested. (oh, it's also worth mentioning the graphic artist who made the post that inspired this fic is participating too!)
- thank you for reading, and i hope you enjoyed!