Jenny's Surgery

Korea to America

I don’t know what had happened, but when I opened my eyes, I was lying down in a stiff position on the couch in Jenny’s room. I must have fallen asleep in the hallway. My lips felt groggy and my eyes felt puffy. I had cried myself to sleep while I was crouched down outside and someone had been kind enough to carry me back inside. A thin, white blanket covered my body and another one of the same blanket was rolled up into the shape of a pillow and was placed under my head.

            I sat up and just as I did, my sister’s heart rate monitor began beeping rapidly. I widened my eyes and, despite the fact that I had woken up only seconds before and I was drowsy, I jumped up madly and rushed over to my sister’s side.

            “Jungwon-ah!” I screamed. The tears in my eyes blurred my vision. My hands trembled just as quickly as the heart rate monitor was. Jenny shouldn’t die because of me. If she did, I don’t think I would want to live.

            Two doctors and a nurse entered the room promptly. “This is the patient, Jenny Jung, correct?” One doctor asked the other. Both wrote something down on a small notepad that they carried around in their coat pocket, then instantly rushed outside.

            I was about to burst in tears like a small child when they’re fallen off their bicycle. My fists tightened and my teeth chattered. Nervousness was about to break out of me.

            The nurse who stayed behind in the room placed her hand on my shoulder. “Miss, it’s going to be alright. It’s a minor problem and the doctors will come to back to solve it soon.”

            A minute was too long. The doctors decided that my sister needed a surgery. Two nurses pulled her bed out and rushed to the surgery room.

            I ran alongside her bed, clutching onto the bars. I was nearly choking on my words. “Jungwon-ah….Jungwon-ah…my sister.”

            I stopped when they reached the surgery room and watched my sister being pulled inside. “Jungwon-ah!” My brain screamed. My hands couldn’t stop shaking. I inhaled and exhaled short, quick breaths.

            The nurse who had consoled me appeared again and explained that my sister had very minor heart problems, up until now. That car crash had triggered something inside her heart and had put Jenny in danger. Her very minor heart problems, which were much more minor than Destiny’s, had become a major catastrophe. It could kill her.

            I sat outside the surgery room, rocking back and forth, my hands quivering with uneasiness. I cried out Jenny’s name, which became softer and softer as hours passed by. By the time a doctor had come out of the surgery room, I was exhausted and tears would no longer fall from my eyes. Nevertheless, I rushed to him and asked with a quaky voice, “Is…is my sister…is she alright?”

            The doctor invited me to his office. He never said a word about my sister. I was afraid that she had died. My brain throbbed with pain.

            “There’s nothing we can do here,” the doctor explained. Jenny’s heart problems had gotten out of control. “Luckily, we slowed her heart rate down…for now. But you need to go to a different hospital to complete your sister’s operation.

            “I personally know a surgeon who works at a hospital called Sungwon University Hospital in South Korea. He’s done more than two hundred surgeries and has miraculously saved numerous people from both Korea and America. I recommend that you go to him for the operation.”