Jongup?

Korea to America

After Zelo and I finally let go of each other, and after I convinced him that I would walk back to the hospital alone, I walked towards the hospital entrance. When I stepped into the lobby, the person that caught my eye was a familiar awkward face. Jongup was pacing back and forth in the lobby and others, sitting down like normal people, stared and pointed at Jongup quietly. I wondered to myself, “Why is Jongup here?”

            I began to walk up to him. He looked so worried, and his face was pale. Was his relative injured or sick here? As I stepped up towards Jongup, he looked up and saw me, but turned away. What? “Jongup?”

            Jongup finally turned back and he looked paler than ever. What was up with him? “Jongup, is your grandmother or grandfather here? Or some sort of relative?” He shook his head with misery. Jongup looked as if he was going to cry a river. “Why are you here?”

            He croaked, “Jenny.” Then, he pounded his chest and cleared his throat, saying again, my sister’s name. “Jenny.”

            “You want to see Jenny?” Jongup nodded sadly like a toddler being asked by a stranger if they lost their mommy. What? Why did he want to see my sister?

            Confused, I led Jongup to Jenny’s hospital room. When we walked inside, I could feel our sisterly connection become stronger. I turned around to see that Jongup had begun to cry. The image of the tears pouring out of his eyes had never left me. It was so weird because I’ve never seen him like this. He was always either emotionless with his friends or smiling whenever he glanced at my sister during geometry. Wait. That’s it. Jongup smiles when he sees my Jenny and he came to the hospital and he’s crying because she’s injured. Jongup likes Jenny. How did I not know?

            I knew Jongup needed some time alone, so I stepped outside and closed the door behind me.