In the Morning

I'm in Love with a Stripper

A large clap of thunder woke me up. Naturally, I jumped at the obnoxiously startling noise. I didn’t have to take a moment to remember where I was this time because Jessica made sure she’d make that impossible: she was practically my entire left side right now.

I detached her arm from around me and got out of bed as best I could without disturbing her. I stumbled my way over to the door and wandered out into Hyoyeon’s hallway. Another clap of thunder sounded and the hallway was bright for a split second. I need to get back to sleep. I had a day off today, so I wanted to make sure I got my allotted six hours of snooze.

I managed to find the kitchen in my sleepy haze and got myself a glass of water. As I was gulping it down, I noticed the clock on the microwave read 7:37am. You couldn’t even tell it was daytime with this storm going on! Well, I guess I did get all my sleep. Jessica and I had a big day today, so I wanted to start as early as possible.

I placed the glass down in the sink and heard the pattering of footsteps walking the same path I just did. I wonder who else is up this early… I walked to meet the person halfway.

“Whoa, dude, you trying to give me a heart attack?” Eunhyuk dramatically clamped his hand over his heart and looked at me like I was a rabid bear.

“Nah, not today,” he rolled his eyes, “Thunder wake you up, too?” I asked. He walked over to the sofa and flopped down on the center cushion with no words and only an exaggerated exhale. For some reason he seemed exhausted, I could’ve sworn he’d been asleep this whole time. As I sat down next to my friend I noticed he was even sweating. “Hey, bro what’s wrong with you?”

He had closed his eyes and had leaned his head on the back of the sofa. He turned to me, cracking one eye open before fully sitting up. “It’s nothing. Some nights I just can’t get to sleep. I mean like, I’m dead tired but no matter how much I try tossing and turning I won’t fall asleep.” He groaned and returned his head to its previous position.

“Geez, that must be irritating,” a small nod was the only reply I got, “Even with Hyo there?” Another nod. I felt sorry for him, but what could I do? Eventually I’d just settled for remaining next to him on the sofa. Minutes passed and no words were said. Even though I wasn’t tired anymore, I closed my eyes and tried to relax a bit.

“Well then,” I started as Eunhyuk suddenly spoke, “Donghae, care to explain to me something? Ol’ buddy, ol’ pal?” He was totally alert and active now.

“Yah, I thought you were tired still!” One, I was freaked out because the absolute silence had been abruptly interrupted, and dul, whenever Eunhyuk wanted some sort of answer from me, about anything, might I add, some sort of humiliation always ensues. I was hesitant to reply after he did nothing but sit staring at me with his eyes open unnecessarily wide.

 “What, Hyuk?” He scooted closer to me until I could practically feel him breathing on my face.

“Tell me what’s going on between you and that dancer girl.” Yep. Can’t say I didn’t predict this one. I looked down and let out a breath.

“I already told you, she was really unhappy in her environment, and that was no way for a human being to have to live,” He backed off a little now as I continued, “All I wanted was to help her.”

“Okay. And the rest?” I looked up at him. What does he mean by ‘the rest’? He and I both stared at each other then, me uncomprehending and him extremely curious. “I mean, Donghae, why did you help her?”

Now that’s something I know I can’t answer. It was purely an impulsive decision, I wasn’t even thinking of why I did anything for her. I just felt like I needed to do something. You’re supposed to do good deeds for other people, right? Then it was totally natural for me, being the good-natured man I am, to want to rescue Jessica.

“I would have done the same for anybody,” was the answer I came up with. I should have known though with Eunhyuk it would never suffice. It’s just like him to keep pushing.

“Then why aren’t the other two here? Do you think they like what they do?” No.

“Maybe…” Hyuk eyed me again. I was getting more uncomfortable by the second.

“Donghae. Tell me why she’s always so reluctant to leave your side, huh? Tell me why when she looks at you, it seems like she would do anything for you in a heartbeat?” I wish he would stop asking me these questions! What happened to the sleepy guy from ten minutes ago?

“You sound like you know the answers to that better than I do,” He quirked an eyebrow but didn’t speak. My voice was really low when I spoke again, almost as if I was talking to myself. “I guess she might not have had anyone to lean on before… and she trusts me because I helped her.” I finally looked up at him.

“Well, maybe you should find some more out about her, Hae. I don’t doubt she’ll tell you everything.” He shot me a friendly smile and stood up. “I’m gonna try and get to sleep. Hyo usually gets up pretty early, so she can see you guys out, okay?” I nodded. I was grateful for my best friend because I know while I may not like it, he means well with his interrogations.

I lingered on the sofa for a while after he left the room. Then I figured Jessica wouldn’t want to wake up alone and plodded back to the room we were sharing. When I got in there I was glad to see she was still soundly sleeping. I felt myself smile observing how peaceful she looks right now. I sat down on the bed, but got into no position for sleep. I just kept looking at her. Creepy, right?

This thought in mind I turned my gaze to the window where the storm had been reduced to light patters on the glass. A few drops of water hit the surface every couple seconds. I looked to Jessica again (Hey, it’s outta my control, gimme a break!). She stirred a bit in her sleep. She certainly moves around a lot, I thought when I felt her lightly kick my leg.

Eunhyuk’s voice invaded my head, and all the questions he’d asked came flowing back to me. I contemplated the answers I gave and decided I didn’t really like them. “What makes you so special?” I asked her sleeping body. I didn’t expect any response and sure enough I didn’t get one.

I sighed and got up from the bed. I gathered the few things Jessica and I had with us and packed the important things into a tote bag I’d found in the corner of the room (HyoHyuk won’t mind, right?). Finally some sunshine emerged and started to flood into the room. I changed back into my work pants while Sica was still asleep, but I refused to put on that greasy shirt!

When I finished, I looked to the clock again, and it was just about eight in the morning. I started on my way out the room to go to the bathroom, but as soon as I opened the door I almost saved myself a trip and went right there. I swear Hyoyeon is a ninja…

“Oh, good you’re up already. Morning oppa!” she was whispering in consideration of Jessica who was still asleep less than a meter away from where we were standing.

“Hey, uh what time do you need us outta here?” I asked quickly just to make sure we weren’t being too intrusive.

“You guys can leave whenever since I have no plans for today. If you want right now, you can go wash up and I can get Jessica ready.”

“Cool, sounds good,” I walked past her down the hallway before I stopped in my tracks. Jessica will be scared if Hyoyeon wakes her up and I’m not in there. She did say she doesn’t get along with other girls for too long… I turned around whisper-screaming, “Hyoyeon wait!” and quickly made my way back to the room.

Luckily she hadn’t gotten very far and Jessica was still very asleep. “What’s up, oppa?” I walked over to the bedside.

“Eh, maybe I should wake her up, you just wait here,” she didn’t argue.

“Okay, you know her better than I do. I’ll be outside,” with that she disappeared to the other side of the door. I looked to Sica and gently shook her arm.

“Yah, Jessica, wake up,” I was speaking just over a whisper. She didn’t even flinch. I called a couple more times and still nothing. “C’mon, we’ve got a lot to do today! We can’t do that if you’re sleeping!” I spoke louder this time. Her eyes fluttered open and she looked up at me. She grumbled before making an actual sentence.

“What time is it?” she closed her eyes again before I even responded.

“8:06,” she reluctantly sat up and rubbed the sleep from her eyes. She dropped her arm to the bed cover and pouted.

“Why can’t we just go back to sleep and do stuff later?” I felt kinda bad for waking her up now. She was even unconsciously doing aegyo right now!

“We can get more out of the day the sooner we start it,” she didn’t object. With a sigh she placed her legs over the side of the bed and stood up, yawned, and stretched her arms. She stumbled back a bit, and immediately I put my arm out to catch her before she fell. Luckily she didn’t. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, just got up a bit too quickly,” oh yeah, that happens to me often, too.

“Dizzy?” she looked up to me, gave me a sleepy smile and nodded. I smiled back at how cute she was. “Jessica, we’re leaving soon, and Hyoyeon’s waiting to help get you ready, okay?” Her smile fell and she looked at me with uncertainty all over her face. I patted her arm with the hand I never removed and smiled trying to make her feel better.

“Oppa, I don’t—” I cut her off before she could worry herself any more.

“She’s just gonna help you pick out an outfit or two, okay?” after a few seconds she nodded and walked toward the door. I followed closely behind ready to catch her in case Hyoyeon was still standing there and gave Sica a heart attack.

Sica opened the door and luckily Hyoyeon was down the hall trying to coax a sleepy Eunhyuk out of their bedroom.

“C’mon oppa, someone’s gotta help me!” she was kind of whining but not in a way that was earsplitting or extremely irritating. An annoyed groan came from the other side of their doorway and Hyoyeon gave up, dropping her arms to her sides with a defeated huff, “Fine, I’ll just do it myself. You’re too tired anyway.” She closed the door and walked in the direction Jessica and I were standing watching her in.

“Hey Hyoyeon,” I spoke up and startled her a bit. She looked up and greeted the both of us with a smile.

“Hey you two, everything okay?” I nodded, but Jessica started fidgeting with her hands and backed up until she bumped into me. I really can’t wait to find out more about this girl. Maybe if she shared her story with someone she wouldn’t be nervous around other girls anymore. I put my arm around her side and walked her forward until we were at least a litte away from the doorway.

“Alright, Donghae, I’ll take her off your hands for now,” she walked over and smiled at Jessica. To my surprise it was actually, albeit shyly, returned. Okay, so either Sica’s a really good actor, or Hyo’s a magician.

I removed my arm and Hyoyeon walked past us and linked hers and Jessica’s together. Hyoyeon looked to me. “Hae, see if you can drag Hyuk outta bed so Jessica and I can go through my wardrobe, please.” It was impossible to say no, so I agreed and walked towards their room. From behind me I heard Hyo ask Sica something. “So, can you cook at all?” I turned around and saw Jessica lightly nod her head. Really? Good to know… “Well then, would you like to help me prepare breakfast?”

Jessica stopped briefly but then gave a small response I could hardly hear. “Yeah…” I smiled largely seeing how well the two were getting along; Jessica seems to be adjusting to Hyoyeon’s company very quickly. After I watched the two disappear around the corner I headed to go wake up Eunhyuk.

When I looked in the room he was splayed all over the bed, and the blankets, pillows, and his limbs were all over the place. I laughed out loud at my ridiculous friend before walking in. He was actually asleep this time which meant that after going so long without any, not even an earthquake would wake him up. Good thing the girls are making breakfast because this is gonna take a while…

o-o-o-o-o-o-o

I spent ten minutes trying to wake Eunhyuk. In the end it was futile because all he did once he was awake was walk into the guest room and fall asleep in there instead. Well, at least he moved, I thought as I made my way to the shower.

I figured while I was bathing that Jessica and I might as well just go back to my apartment and figure out where we want to go from there. Plus it’s going to be a bit difficult for us to travel to different places considering I don’t have a car (maybe we could check out different places along the bus route). It gives Jessica time to get settled anyway.

I stepped out and wrapped the towel around my waist. I made my way back to Eunhyuk and Hyoyeon’s room. I could still hear the girls clattering around in the kitchen and smell food wafting in the air, so I knew the coast was clear when I walked into the bedroom.

I needed to borrow another outfit from Eunhyuk. I have this thing against putting on dirty clothes after I’ve been freshly cleaned. I found where my friend keeps his clothes when he visits over here and sorted through them for a bit to figure out what he wouldn’t mind me wearing.

As I moved clothes around in the drawer, I heard footsteps pattering in the hallway. I didn’t really pay them any mind, I’m certain I closed the door. I pulled a green polo and a pair of jeans from the drawer and stood up after placing things back where I think they belong and got up to change.

I placed the clothes on the bed and prepared to remove the towel from around my waist. I nearly crapped myself when I heard a squeal and immediately snapped my head to look at the door which was not actually closed… There stood a girl who was just as shocked to see me as I was to see her. I hurriedly tightened the towel before Jessica had a chance to see anything.

“Ah, I’m so sorry, oppa!” she sped down the hallway back to the kitchen while I still tried to process what just happened. I speed-walked to the door and closed it while I tried to calm my rapidly beating heart. I’m sure my humiliation is visible all over my face right now. I quickly shook the moment’s events from my mind and rushed to put the clothes on.

After I was changed I cautiously walked out in the hallway, though I really didn’t need to be careful since I’m fully dressed now. I placed the towel in the wash bin and went to the kitchen to check on the girls. I could hear music playing and dishes clanking against one another, as well as the sizzling of some kind of meat.

As I rounded the corner I was greeted by a delicious-looking spread of a full Western breakfast placed on the table. There were enough waffles, eggs, and bacon for six people considering there’s only four of us here. Jessica and Hyoyeon both had their backs to me as they seemed to be preparing some fruits. I felt my face heat up as I walked closer.

I really didn’t want to disturb them because they seemed to be having so much fun together, Hyoyeon was dancing a bit and giggling as she washed off some apples, and Jessica had a large smile plastered on her face as she laughed a bit in between singing song lyrics. I loved seeing her this happy, so I backed up a little and continued to watch her the two.

“Unni,” Jessica looked over to Hyoyeon at the address. Wow, they’re so close now! “I heard you squeal back there, what happened?” Jessica looked back to the watermelon she was slicing and I saw her cheeks redden.

“Ah, nothing really, just…” she bit her lip and Hyoyeon paused and listened to her expectantly. VIXX kept playing in the background as Jessica finished, “Donghae was just—”

“Oh,” Hyoyeon chuckled at the embarrassed girl, “That’s okay, I understand you,” she flashed Jessica a knowing smile and a side glance before returning to her apples. They were silent for a minute after that, so I assumed they were done. I started to walk back up to them, but Hyoyeon asked something else.

“One more question…” Jessica just looked at her, waiting. When Hyoyeon didn’t say anything she returned to her watermelon pushing the already sliced pieces off the edge of the cutting board into a bowl.

“Unni, why are you and Donghae so close?” Both Jessica and I tensed up at her question. Hyoyeon didn’t take it back, though. She just kept waiting for an answer.

“He’s just really nice, and he helped me so…” she lost her sentence, but Hyoyeon, just like her boyfriend, kept pushing.

“Is that all?” Jessica looked up at her, but replaced her gaze on the melon quickly. I was extremely curious myself. Jessica never said anything. “Well, I was just asking since… y’know, you really seem to like him is all.” My eyes widened considerably, and I could feel my face heating again. She doesn’t mean it like that, so I should calm down. But the way Jessica became fidgety again got me thinking. She responded really quietly without ever removing her eyes from the floor.

“Well… he is—”

“Hey, dude, stop checking out my girlfriend!” I jumped out of my skin and spun around to be met with the mockingly angry face of my incredibly annoying best friend. Jessica and Hyoyeon started a little, too. Jessica more so as she had yelped and dropped her knife on the ground.

Geez, Eunhyuk, could you be any more obnoxious?! Hyoyeon walked up to him and smacked him lightly on the arm. She had a scowl on her face, but I could tell she wasn’t really upset. Like I actually am.

“How dare you scare us like that! No breakfast for you!” she started back to the counter, and Eunhyuk looked genuinely shocked. As if she’d let you starve. Pfft! Hyuk ran up behind her and wrapped his arms around her in a back hug before she could get any farther away.

“No, please! I’m sorry, but I refuse to lose you to him!” He pointed at me a playfully glared while Hyoyeon laughed.

“Awh, you know you’re the only silly monkey for me, pabo!” she faced him and hugged him back. I felt like vomiting at the ridiculously cheesy couple in front of me. Within the next second the two were kissing and showed no signs of stopping anytime soon. They must have forgotten Jessica and I were still here.

As soon as I registered the thought I automatically looked at her. She had been already looking at me and quickly bent down to pick up the knife when I caught her. She turned back to the counter without sparing me another glance.

I loudly cleared my throat in attempt to get the two lovebirds to release each other. Gladly it worked.

“Ah, sorry,” at least Hyoyeon had the courtesy to apologize. Poor Jessica’s probably scarred for life. “Well, breakfast is pretty much done,” Hyo said as she pushed a pouty Eunhyuk off of her, “You boys help yourselves,” she turned to Jessica, “Unni, you wanna to come pick out clothes now? We can join them later if you w—” she didn’t even finish before Sica pulled her out of the kitchen by her arm.

“Yeah, we can come back later,” was all I heard as the two rushed past me. I took notice of Jessica’s flushed face before the two disappeared down the hall.

Eunhyuk spoke to me as he promptly began inhaling waffles. “I was just joking, man. Care to stop looking at me like you’d like to behead me?” he smiled, and it was then I realized I’d been glowering at the guy.

“Y’know, I might actually do it this time,” I chuckled as I sat down across the table. He laughed through his waffle. The girls had already set plates, too. I picked up a piece of bacon and ate it in one bite. Neither Eunhyuk nor I said anything after that as our mouths were both stuffed.

Not too long after we’d started eating, Jessica and Hyoyeon reappeared dressed for the day. Hyoyeon had on a purple tee and skirt combo, and Jessica looked stunning in a blue jean outfit. Hyoyeon slid into her seat next to Eunhyuk, and Sica slowly made her way and sat down next to me.

“Hey,” she looked to me with a small smile and an even smaller wave.

“Hey,” I smiled back of course, “So how many outfits is she letting you borrow?”  I asked as both of us began digging into our plates. She held up two fingers. “Cool, so Hyo, when do you want them back?”

Hyoyeon thought about it for a second before responding, “Actually, unni, you can have them.” Jessica’s eyes widened.

“Are you sure, I don’t—”

“Really, I don’t mind. You look better in them anyway.” Jessica thanked her and refocused her attention on her food. 

“Oh, and Donghae,” Eunhyuk spoke up. “That doesn’t mean you can keep mine.” I had completelf forgotten I’d borrowed more of his clothes.

“Of course,” all of us laughed. Nothing was even funny; it was sort of just the very relaxed, friendly atmosphere that provoked it I guess.

“Hey,” I called, the other three looked up, “Who’s idea was it to put cinnamon in the waffles?”

Jessica became fidgety yet again. “M-mine, do you not like them oppa? I can make new ones—” she started to get up from her chair, but I hastily pulled her back down by her hand. She looked at me, eyes searching for approval of her waffles.

“They’re delicious,” I smiled and she released a relieved sigh. She joined everyone else in finishing her food, but she didn’t seem too happy anymore. I playfully leaned over and nudged her with my shoulder. She looked to me again, and this time let out a small giggle. Ah, there’s that smile.

The rest of the meal was finished in a comfortable silence.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o

“I’ll see you guys later, okay?” Eunhyuk said as Jessica and I got out of the car. He had offered to drive us back to my apartment.

“Of course, I’ll call you soon, bro. And thanks to you and Hyo for everything. You were seriously a big help,” I told him for the nth time.

“Anytime. Bye Jessica~” he waved and playfully winked at her. Hey… She giggled and waved back.

“Goodbye oppa,” she said as she walked around her side of the car to stand next to me.

“And keep your eyes on your own girlfriend ‘silly monkey’” I said the last part with air quotes. Hyuk jokingly pouted and drove off. I looked over to Jessica who had a confused look on her face. It was then I just realized—

Own girlfriend?” she asked. Well. Oops. Let’s see how I can play this off…

“What?”

“You just told Eunhyuk to look at his own girlfriend…” she was stepping dangerously closer to me. Instinctively, I backed up down the pavement. I remember how scary this girl can be. “What are you implying, oppa?” she raised an eyebrow and folded her hands across her chest.

“Eh… what?”

“You know what you said.” Now she was smiling very slyly, like she knew she would break me. So I did the only thing I could.

“You have no proof!” I yelled behind me as I took off in the direction of my apartment building. Seconds later I heard her running after me, laughing. Crap, she’s fast! I didn’t get very far before she tackled me and we both landed on the lawn in front of my building. At this point the both of us were racked with laughter. She had me pinned under her and neither of us did anything but lay there and laugh at each other.

After a minute of lying there, the laughter finally died down. I looked up at her as she was hovering above me. Her bun had fallen out of place and a few strands of hair now framed her face. The sun was shining just behind her head and it made her look like she was glowing. Or maybe it’s just her smile…

 Both of us jumped when a loud car horn blared from the street. She spoke up.

“This must look pretty weird, huh?” she giggled and climbed off of me. Yeah, it probably did. I smiled to myself.

“C’mon,” I stood then offered my hand and helped her up, “we still have a lotta daylight left, and we still have to look for jobs today, remember?”

“Right, okay.” After that I led her into the building, up the stairs and to my apartment. The entire time she hadn’t let my hand go.

“Here we are, 409, Lee residence,” I gestured to the door before I pulled my hand from hers to fish my keys from Eunhyuk’s pants pocket. I let her in first before locking the door behind me. I took my shoes off by the entrance, and she noticed and did the same with Hyoyeon’s sandals.

“It’s nice,” she complemented. It’s wasn’t really considering the price I got it for, but it was just a place to live anyway. It’s not like it’s permanent.

“Thanks, I think you’re the first person to ever call this place nice,” I walked over to the sofa and patted the seat next to me indicating her to take it. She did, and immediately scooted closer to me. Unthinkingly, I placed my arm around her shoulders, and she seemed completely contented so I left it there.

Under her breath I heard her say something else, “It’s still nicer than anything I’ve had for a while…” she looked down, and her beautiful smile had fallen.

“Yah, Jessica,” I called and she looked up at me.

“Neh, oppa?” she forced a tiny smile, and it really looked like it hurt her to do that.

“I…” how was I supposed to ask her? Of course she wouldn’t want to tell me about her past, so I made an excuse to bring it up. “Uh… we when we fill out the job applications… it uh… they ask for certain…” she seemed to be catching on. She frowned and sat up so that my arm fell to the cushion. She finished my sentence for me.

“Background information?”

“…yeah.” I looked at her, trying to read her face. The only thing I could find was pain. “But…” I sat up and waved my hands in front of me, “but you don’t have to say anything, if it would make you uncomfortable, I don’t wanna—”

“It’s okay Donghae,” she reached over and took my hand and stared down at it. “I trust you,” she intertwined our fingers, “I’ll tell you.” I looked at her watery eyes and squeezed her hand.

After a few moments she finally opened to speak. My heart was already speeding up.

“When I was nine…”


A/N: Wuhuhu, how's that for a chiffhanger? Surprise~ it's been awhile, huh? How have you been chingus, did you miss me? No? Oh... okay...

Well how do you like this update? This is me forcing out a chapter to give to you guys as a 'happy summer' present. I apologize for the 2 month wait, but you will be reading more from me soon cuz no more schoolwork! Yayyy!!

And I guess this is straying farther and farther from an 2-shot, huh? Well don't worry, I'll only hold you hostage here for three more chapters ^_^

I can't wait to write the next chapter, I'm just as excited as you guys!

Please comment and tell me what you think, I value your opinions and input a lot, and I will reply to them~