Raindrop

Raindrop

Disclaimer: I will never ever ever ever own these characters.

Nov 30, 5:18 p.m. : corrected a few mistakes, noticed that I wrote thunder instead of lightning and a few lost words.


 

It was raining. Hmm.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

She stared at the muddy floor, muddy with the shape of footsteps. The dark green umbrella was also wetting the once clear floor. She closed the umbrella, and dragged her feet to the stair. 

Well, it was raining.

Definitely not the right day to stand in front of the class with strangers, students she never knew and teacher she never saw. It would be extremely awkward. In her head was running thousand words regarding self introduction. She sighed. Her feet felt really heavy, heavy from the muddy shoes the heavy feeling.

She sighed.

Tap. Tap. Tap. She continued walking through the empty hallways. And continued eyeing the windows, the cloudy sky. Until she stopped.

2-A.

This was where her new life began.

"Urm... Hello. My name is Yoona, Im Yoona. I'm from Seoul..."

"Nice to meet all of you."

 

—►

It had been a week since her first step on the school. A week, 7 days, 168 hours, and 10,080 seconds. Seven days might sound a little short, but ten thousand seconds made it sounded like a very long time.

Hell, yeah. Ten thousand seconds and she was not in the mood of making friends yet. She wondered if it was due to her cold-to-strangers personality or if Busan peoples have this strange skeptical point of thought about the Seoul people. 

Yoona threw her gaze outside of the classroom. She was quite thankful for having her seat at the back near the window. In short, the seat everybody refused because it made you invincible from other people. Even if you were the descendant of the green giant creature Hulk, peoples would not find  you that easily if you were at such corner.

Well, that was the good point. She would not have to deal with her new friends, or maybe it was better-said acquaintance? Neither can do. They were still strangers.  Strangers with quite noisy personalities and hyperactive when the teacher was not in. Her old high school in Seoul was not like this. They practically lived like a normal human beings, whether it was during education time or break time, her old classmates' best friend was always a book. She didn't find it strange when they were reading even during P.E.

But it was not the same now. 

It was the last subject, Physical Education for an hour and half and then they would be back home. However, it was raining again, she gotta admit that she was not yet to experience the sunny day since she first came here. If it wasn't , it would be cloudy, and then rain again, and cloudy. When could she look at the clear sky of Busan? she thought. Their gym was under construction, so all that left was to stay inside the classroom and wait.

Even the teacher was not here yet. Che.

She stared at the silent rain. The raindrop hit the glass window and slide making a straight line and the broke into a few lines. It hit again. And slide again. Yoona who found the same cycle interesting, counted the countless raindrops on the window.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

It was the raindrop sound again. She smiled, feeling her eyes slowly becoming heavy second by second. 

"It was such a bad day..."

 

—►

Tap. Tap. Tap.

The moment she opened her doe eyes, she was greeted by the rain sound.

Again. And heavier.

She closed her orbs again, not wanting to wake up to see strangers again. But it hit her.

Why was it too quiet?

Yoona sprung, hitting her back on the metal chair. It hurted a bit, but that wasn't the main point now. She ran her eyes to the whole classroom.

Empty. Empty. Empty.

She was alone. And her friends did not even mind to wake her up.

The brunette stood up abruptly and slung her bag by her shoulder. It was 3 o'clock. She walked towards the door and convincingly turned the doorknob. Today's really not my day, she mumbled. 

Oh. My. God. She gulped.

The door was ing locked.

"!" she cursed as she turned the knob again, only to find it not shifting. Yoona was going to panic, she knocked on the door. "Hello? Anybody out there? Please open the door!" She was greeted with silence.

My life is really cursed, Yoona cried.

"Wow, wow. First she cursed, and then she cried. I wonder if all Seoul girls are like this. Unpredictable." Yoona flinched at the unrecognized voice. She quickly turned and saw a boy with shaggy raven hair. His wrinkled white shirt made him looked like some shabby beggar, yet she noted his sharp eyes with slight eye bag. The lad sat comfortably on a desk, with his bag by his side and legs hanging. Yoona focused her gaze on him.

"Who are you?"

"Heoh? I'm your classmate, of course." he replied with a slight hint of amusement hidden in his tone. "Never know you're this stupid."

She ignored the disrespect comment bout her. "Oh really? How come I never knew?"

"Because you're that snobbish Seoul girl who never wanted to talk to us the lowly villagers. Aren't you?"  he said coldly. Yoona winced at the critic. Now she knew why she had no friends here yet, it was both the reasons she thought before. 

"I'm not."

"Yes you are."

"No I'm not." she insisted. "Now what are we going to do? We're trapped."

"Locked up, actually." He corrected. What's the difference, Yoona silently hissed. Her classmate jumped off the desk and shifted his shirt, before replying, "Well, seems like we need to wait until the guard strolls here."

Yoona sighed. "There's no other way? I want to go back now."

"If you really want to, then feel free to jump off. It's easier."

"Are you crazy? This is the fourth floor!" Yoona screeched. He shrugged and took out a book. Yoona sighed. She seated herself on one of the chair and watched the opaque door.

"Really... What should we do now?" she asked herself.

"Just wait."

I'm not talking to you! Yoona roared in her thought. She embraced herself, then reaching for a book remembering she had nothing to do. Rebecca, she never had the chance to finish that literature component. She was not a fan of mysteries. But seemed like she had to endure it to kill time.

Tick. Tick. Tick. 

Yoona glanced at the watch. 5 minutes passed.

Tick. Tick. Tick. 

10 minutes passed.

Tick. Tick.

"I've had enough!" Yoona slammed the white covered book on the desk. She could not focus at the novel at all. Right, she got to admit that reading was her hobby, but she couldn't concentrate when her mind was too stuffed. She laid her eyes on the boy who was looking at her with an eyebrow raised.

Despite her stomach churning due to the sick feeling of embarrassment, she walked to the boy. Yeah, to the boy who could not even hide the smirk of amusement. This wasn't the new girl he expects. Who knew that this girl could not stand a simple thing called 'bored'? Hmm. He noted that he should not judge a book by its cover again.

"Hey you," Yoona called.

"What?" he answered. Yoona eyed him up to down. "Don't do that. If I don't know you enough, I would probably think you want to molest me." He held his laugh when Yoona rolled her eyes.

"Me? Molest you? Oh puh-lease." Indeed a Seoul girl. Every action she did and her tone was enough to depict her uppish personality. "You're way too dowdy to even attract me."

"What doodey?" 

"Dowdy, idiot." Should I add deaf, too? Yoona wondered.

"Oh."

Silence engulfed both of the highschoolers. Yoona wandered her eyes around the empty room, before finding herself bored again. Hmm, seemed like Busan was good at teaching her how to feel bored. 

"Do you have any siblings?" Yoona was amused by herself. She never thought that she would be this talkative, The boy glanced at her before looking down on his book again.

"Hmm."

"That hmm mean yes or not?"

"Yes."

"Oooh." Yoona nodded. The fact that she could actually bring a conversation surprised even herself. "Brother?"

"Nope."

"Oh. Sister?" He looked at her with a perplexed face.

"Wow. How did you know?"

"..."

Must she say that he was dumb? If he was, then he would be the 3D guy. Dowdy, Deaf and Dumb.  Well, it wasn't like he mind if she called him names. She did call him dowdy before, and the response was? Clean! She wanted to call him, but remembered that she never knew his name. 

"Hey, what's your name?"

"I'm sorry?" Yoona guessed he could not hear her since the heavy rain was louder than her voice. 

"What's your name?" she asked with an octave higher. Despite the dim lighting, she could see the raven's sharp eyes sparked with interest even though it was a bit vague. He's a weirdo. Yeah a weirdo.

"Well, it's Eric Clapton." Yoona nodded her head just like an eating duck.

"Woah... Really? So you're really a foreigner. No wonder you have fair skin!" 'Eric' smirked in amusement. What? Did I say it wrong? Yoona thought. She scrunched her face as she looked at his eyes, feeling strange with her classmate.

"You're Yoona right?" he asked, having Yoona nodded in agreement. "Well, you know. There's a thing we call sarcasm." Yoona knitted her eyebrows, confused, What did he mean? Sarcasm? Since she couldn't catch up his meaning, she decided not to mind it and ran her eyes nowhere, until the brown orbs landed on 'Eric's white shirt.

. For the first time in her life, Yoona wanted to smack her head hard. Of course, the uniform. The name tag.

Lee Jonghyun.

This is freaking embarrassing.

"Uhm! Well-" she cleared . This is getting nowhere. "I'm just kidding. So, Lee Jonghyun. That's you?" she asked, trying to cover her mistake. Sadly, Jonghyun was not that dumb, though she said he was, to fall for that.

"The one and only." he whistled.

Eric Clapton, my , Yoona silently cursed. And to think that I fell for that... Yoona could not think anymore. This guy's such a jackass. Yoona noted to herself to never approach this guy ever again. Starting tomorrow, with a special exception of today. Because she. was. freaking. bored. right. now. She peeked at the book Jonghyun was reading.

Introduction to Acoustic: Medium Level.

Hmm. Not bad.

"You like guitar?" Jonghyun nodded silently and he shifted on his chair.

"It's too dark, how you can even read-" before she can finish her words, the sound of thunder surprised her and made her jumped out of her seat. Without much thinking, she ran herself to Jonghyun who flinched at the sudden touch. Her act eventually pushed Jonghyun down to the floor together with her. Yoona wrapped her arms tightly around the raven-haired guy. She closed her eyes tightly as the lightning hit the earth numerous times.

Jonghyun blinked. His hands reflexively pat on Yoona's back, calming her down in silence. The dark room flashed when the lightning struck again. The boy caught Yoona's shaking shoulder.

Without conscious, he craved a smile.

"Are all Seoul girls like these?" he asked himself, knowing that the brunette was too busy being afraid to even answer him.

 

—►

It was six o'clock when Yoona realised that she fell asleep. The rain stopped. The faint footsteps were the one that woke her up.

Guess what? 

She was on the floor, hugging her newfound friend who was also in a deep sleep.

"Kyaaa!" she screeched and woke Jonghyun up. He dizzily brought his body forward and in reflex shut his ears.

"You Seoul girl..." he complained and looked up.

Brown doe eyes met sharp black orbs.

Yoona felt her heart making weird noises like dub dub dab. And she did not like it. What is this strange feeling? Unconsciously she brought her hand to her chest, attempting to stop the weird noise. 'Is this normal when you hugged a Busan guy...?'

Tap. Tap. Tap. She escaped her trance when she once again heard the footsteps. Yoona stood up without waiting any longer and ran towards the front door. She turned the doorknob and knocked on the door.

"Anybody out there?" she asked.

"Are you locked inside?" Yoona let out a relieve sigh when someone answered. There was sound of metal clacking. She twisted the knob again and door opened, revealing a man with grey guard uniform. She thanked the guard and reached for her bag near the window, secretly glancing at Jonghyun who was tidying up his book and ready to exit the classroom.

That was the last glimpse of Jonghyun she saw that day.

 

—►

Yoona put her books on her desk and made herself comfortable on her seat. As usual, she looked outside the window again.

This time it was sunny.

She craved a smile. At last she could see the clear Busan's sky. She closed her eyes as she enjoyed the chirping birds and rustling leaves, with a faint sound of wave hitting the beach. She might as well make friends today. Not just with her classmates, but the nature too. Through the glass window, she caught a reflection of Jonghyun reading his book again in his seat.

"Come to think of it, how come he was locked up with me yesterday? He didn’t look like falling asleep too…”