1/1

Distilled from Darkness

"Jongin?" Tao's voice rang out across the living room couch where he and Kai currently sat.

Kai looked up from the television that was sitting in front him and fixated his eyes on Tao's fingers that were nervously twirling around themselves. "Yeah, Hyung?"

Tao looked around carefully, unsure of how to put his thoughts into words. The increasing speed of his fingers was the only response he gave to Kai.

Kai waited patiently, knowing his hyung was still hesitant when communicating with him, unsure where their line of comfort was drawn. He knew it was less because of the language barrier and more because Tao didn't want to overstep is ground.

Tao took a deep breath before continuing. "On the show, did you- I mean, I know it's scripted-, but did you really mean it? About me having a dark face?"

Kai looked at Tao disbelief etched across his face. "If anyone should be more offended by that it should be me", he grumbled. After all, it was him Baekhyun decided to point out first.

Tao bit his lip, scared he hit a sore spot. "I know, I know. It's just you seem so confident about your skin, so I didn't think it would affect you."

Kai raised an eyebrow. "And why wouldn't it affect me Hyung? Whether scripted or not, the other members and even you sometimes call me out about my color. Most of the time, I can let it slide, but when it happens often I can't help but get upset sometimes."

"I thought you were proud of your skin." Tao mumbled, uncertainty laced in his voice. 

"I am proud of my skin!" Kai insisted, his voice getting slightly louder. "I am proud and you should be too! Hyung, I know when you go out to buy all these skin lighting products and go on the internet look up skin whiting recipes. You shouldn't do that because your skin is gorgeous and so are you!"

Tao looked up startled. He wasn't expecting that compliment. Sure, he may seem cocky and self-centered on television, but in reality he was just as insecure as any other person. Especially someone who is put down for something beyond their control. "I'm gorgeous? Me?" His shone with the pretense of tears.

Kai slowly got up and went to sit next to Tao on the other end of the couch. "Hyung, all those times you made fun of my skin color? Do you know how mad I was back then? You out of all people should understand what it is like. Not to mention the fact that you are older, and probably have more experience than me." Tao hiccupped, his tears that were threating to fall finally spilling over.

Kai gently placed a hand on each of Tao's cheeks, forcing the older to look at him. "But I forgive you hyung, do know why? Because I now understand it is because your insecure is why you made those comments. That may not have been the right way to go about it, but I get it. And even if it takes every day of me saying that you are beautiful, gorgeous, and amazing, then so be it, because that is how much you are."

"I am?" Tao's voice on the question, eyes searching Kai's for any hint of false truth or insecurity.

Kai's eyes only blazed back full genuine truthfulness. "You are." And he marked that promise by sealing Tao's lips with his own.