Reunions, Introductions and Misunderstandings

My Melody

 “Kyaaa!!! My little Jae-jae is home! I missed you so much!” Kyu Jong was practically smothering his younger sister with a bear hug while calling her with the nickname he used when Jamie was still a teenager. Jamie had to struggle out of his arms so she could talk.

 

“Oppa, I told you it’s Jamie, not Jae-jae! I’m 23 you know, not 15!”

 

“You’re still my little Jae-jae” Kyu Jong said, enveloping her in his arms again. 

 

“Ya! I can’t breathe!”

 

They were inside JjunJae Garden, the bar and restaurant co-owned by Kyu Jong with his best friend Kim Hyun Joong who is also the chef. Kyu Jong decided to close it that evening so that they can privately celebrate Jamie’sreturn. The establishment stands beside the Kim ’s two story house and is connected via a door from the restaurant kitcheninto Kyu’s home office . Kyu Jong always wanted a business that he can managefrom the comfort of his own home. The money used to build the restaurant came from the inheritance that Kyu Jong after their parentsdied from a car accident 7 years ago, just before Jamie left for college. 

 

“Sweetheart, let go and give your sister a little space will you? You’ve been hugging her since you guys came from the airport. I’m starting to get jealous”. Kwon Sun Mi, Kyu Jong’s girlfriend said laughing as she watched Jamie wrestle her way out of her brother’s grasps, but Kyu Jong only hugged her tighter.She arrived earlier while the siblings were on their way back from the airport to prepare dinner with her cousin Hyun Joong. 

 

“Please let me go Oppa…”Jamie pleaded. 

 

“Never!”

 

“Junnie! Help me!!!” Jamie called out to her twin by his nickname.

 

Hyung Jun walked in after taking a phone call and found Jamiestruggling in Kyu Jong’s arms with Sun Mi on his side trying to pry heraway from him. 

 

“What’s going on here?” he asked. 

 

“Your brother is trying to suffocate your sister” Sun Mi answered, trying her best to pull Jamie away but failing. Kyu Jong has his eyes closed and was smiling, clearly enjoying what he’s doing. 

 

“Ani,Sun Mi .I just missed her too much” 

 

“Get off her you big gorilla, that’s not how you show affection to your sister” Hyun Jung said. He tugged Jamie off of Kyu Jong who finally let her go.

 

“Whew! Thank you Junnie. I was—wooaaahh!!!!” Jamie was caught by surprise when Hyun Jung suddenly threw her over his shoulders then started running around the restaurant screaming, “JAMIE!!!! BOGOSHIPOYO!!!!!!”

 

“Put me down!!! Junnie!!” Jamie kicked her legs in the air and started pounding her fists on Hyung Jun’s back. Kyu Jong and Sun Mi sat by the bar and watched the twins in amusement.

 

“Your brother is such a kid” Sun Mi told Kyu Jong.

 

“He is when Jamie is around. He missed her, we both did.”

“At least she’s home now” she smiled at Kyu Jong who wrapped one arm around her shoulders and pulled her near him. 

 

“I know. At least I can watch her closely now and not be worried about her being too far away” he said while watching his younger siblings play around. “Where’s Hyun Joong?”

 

“In the kitchen. You know him, once he gets started in that kitchen you won’t see him again until everything is done.”

 

Hyung Jun finally gets exhausted running around the restaurant with Jamie in his shoulders. He put her down and hugged her again. “Mianhe, you know how much I missed you right?” he said, giving his twin a toothy grin.

 

“Aaw, I missed you too …” Jamie pinched Hyung Jun’s cheeks. “But please don’t do that again, or else I’ll run away and go back to the States” she lets go of his face and stuck her tongue out at him. 

 

“You just got here now you’re threatening to leave again?” a male voice said behind Jamie. She turned around to see a man leaning against the wall beside the restaurant’s entrance. “You know I won’t let you do that right?” he said to Jamie, smiling with dimples on both cheeks.

 

“SAENGIE!!!!” Jamie ran to her best friend who immediately enveloped her in a hug. 

 

“Welcome back.” Heo Young Saeng said to Jamie as he grinned at Hyung Jun who was watching them from a few meters away. Young Saeng is like a brother to him and his siblings. They have known each other since their elementary school days, but he has always been closer to Jamie than he is to Hyung Jun or Kyu Jong. 

 

Noticing Young Saeng’s arrival, Kyu Jong and Sun Mi walked over to greet the newcomer.

 

“So Maestro Young Saeng has decided to come out from his burrow huh?” Kyu Jong said lightly punching Young Saeng’s arm. 

 

“Well, I still do have a thing called ‘social life’” YoungSaeng said, punching Kyu Jong back. “Besides, it’s my best friend coming home. I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

 

“Aw, Saengie that’s so sweet,” Hyung Jun teased, “date my sister already will you!”

 

“Shut up Junnie! Why don’t you go and get yourself a girlfriend?” Everyone started laughing at Jamie’s comment. 

 

“Ya! Ya! Ya! Stop it you … aish!” Hyung Jun could only scratch his head. 

 

“So Young Saeng is here now, we’re just waiting for one more person” Hyung Jun said. 

 

“Who else are we waiting for?” Jamie asked. 

 

“Yeah Jun, did you invite anyone else?” Kyu Jong also asked. He only invited Young Saeng and Sun Mi. He wasn’t aware that Jun had invited anyone else.

 

“Ah, yes well … sorry for the short notice but Jung Min called a few moments ago. He just came back from Japan and he told me he wanted to see me so I invited him over. I hope you guys don’t mind” 

 

“Oh, jinja?That’s good then ” Young Saeng exclaimed. “I actually needed to talk to him.”

 

“Ah, I see. He’s not only your best pal Jun, he’s our friend to so of course it’s okay.” Kyu Jong said.

 

“Wait, who is Jung Min?”Jamie asked.

 

“Hyung Jun’s boyfriend!” Young Saeng answered.

 

“Ya! Ya! Ya!” Hyung Jun went after Young Saeng who immediately stood behind Jamie to avoid being hit. Jamie narrowed her eyes at him and was looking at him curiously. “He’s my best friend.”

 

“No need to be defensive dear. I know you’re not gay.” Jamie told him. “But why don’t I know this guy? You never introduced me to him.”

 

“What do you mean? I talk to you about him all the time …” Hyung Jun started to argue.

 

“You only tell me about a certain Romeo … I think that was the name.”

 

“Yes! That’s him!” 

 

“What? I thought you said his name is Jung Min?” Jamie asked. 

 

Young Saeng, Kyu Jong and Sun Mi looked at each other shaking their heads. Watching the twins argue was like watching a comedy drama … one in which Hyung Jun will end up being the loser. 

 

“Okay, well we’re just going to get some stuff ready so we can start eating when Hyun Joong is done cooking” Kyu Jong said, but the twins continued arguing and did not hear a single word he said. 

 

“…why did you have to call him Romeo when you tell me about him? You could have just called him Jung Min, that’s his real name right?” Jamie said.

 

“That’s what I’m trying to say to you, since Romeo and Jung Min are just one person. I thought I should just say to you that his name is Romeo because it’s a shorter name and you were in the US, so I have to tell you an English name” Hyung Jun defended.

 

“That’s stupid Junnie …”

 

Kyu Jong shrugged turned to go to the kitchen with Sun Mi following. Young Saeng stayed behind and pulled a chair out from one of the tables nearby then sat on it, crossing his arms and legs. Hewatched in amusement as the twins con tinued their nonsense argument.

 

“ … and you haven’t even told me why this Jung Min has two names.” Aigoo Jamie, why so talkative? Young Saeng asked in his head. Is this what you picked upafter being in America for six years? 

 

“Well, he uses Jung Min when he’s in Korea, and Romeo when he’s in Japan” Hyung Jun explained.

 

“Why? I don’t get it …”

 

“Geez Jamie! Aren’t you thinking? He has a dual personality!”

 

“Well, I figured that much, but I want to know WHY? You’re not really explaining it very well to me Junnie …” Jamie placed her hands on her hips and was tapping her foot, a sign that she was getting impatient. Young Saeng decided to help out. 

 

“Jung Min is a multi-talented artist Jamie. He’s a singer and an actor,” Young Saeng started to explain. “When he is promoting in Japan he performs as Romeo, a darker version of Jung Min.”

 

“Wow… so this Jung Min guy must be really handsome then?” Jamie asked. Young Saeng just shrugged. 

 

“He’s not handsome, his feet smell.” Hyung Jun said, pouting.

 

Three of them almost jumped when they suddenly heard a voice speak behind them. “So is that how you’re promoting your best friend now, huh Hyung Jun?” 

 

They turned to see a tall man, wearing a beanie and sunglasses, leaning against the same wall that Young Saeng was on when he came earlier. 

 

 “Hey! Who are you? Is that what people do these days? Eavesdropping and being all sneaky?” Jamie asked. 

 

“Welcome back boss!” Young Saeng stood from his chair and approached Jung Min who gave him a high five. 

 

“Speaking of the devil” Hyung Jun said.

 

“Ya! Is that how you greet your best friend you little rascal?” Jung Min walked over and slapped him behind the head.

 

“OW! You arrogant horse!” Hyung Jun removed Jung Min’s beanie and grabbed on his hair, pulling a handful of it. Jung Min started yelling in pain. 

 

“Gaah!! Let go you stinky turtle!”

 

Hearing the commotion outside, Kyu Jong and Sun Mi came running out of the kitchen, then started laughing when they realized who was causing it. 

 

“Oh my God! You two fight like girls!” Sun Mi said while holding onto Kyu Jong who was bent down, leaning on his knees from laughing. 

 

“Break it up you two, you’re embarrassing!” Young Saeng said, he was trying to be serious but also couldn’t help laugh at the two. 

 

All the while, Jamie was looking at Jung Min and was wondering why he seemed so familiar. When they finally stopped pulling each other’s hair, Hyung Jun picked up the beanie from the ground where he threw it earlier and walked over to a pouting Jung Min, gave him a light hug and said “I missed you bro!”

 

“Tss … whatever!” Jung Min smirked then grabbed his beanie from Hyung Jun. 

 

“Have you girls stopped fighting now?”Kyu Jong asked, still laughing a little. 

 

Jung Min pulled the beanie onto his head and smiled.

 

“Sorry about that hyung. That’s how we normally greet each other after being away for such a long time…” then he turned to Hyun Jung and asked “You were going to introduce me to someone you said?” 

 

Something suddenly clicked in Jamie’s head upon seeing Jung Min with the beanie on. She tried not to give much attention to it earlier since she thought she would never see him again but now that he is standing here, she couldn’t seem to control the rising of her temper. Young Saeng watched in curiosity as Jamie suddenly marchedup to Jung Min with narrowed eyes. 

 

“YOU!” 

 

“Uhm, yes?” Jung Min was caught by surprise with her sudden approach. Their eyes met and he immediately got distracted as he noticed how pretty theyare. Wow, he thought,where did you come from? He was about to give her one of his deadly smiles when she walked up closer to him and pointed a finger to his face. He had to step back a bit to avoid getting poked in the eye. 

 

“You were the rude guy who bumped into me on the plane!” 

 

“I’m sorry, I don’t know what you’re talking about…” Jung Min said shaking his head. Why do I suddenly feel nervous? 

 

“You were on your way out and I was getting my bag from the overhead when you bumped into me. I was prepared to apologize for being in the way but, oh no! You yelled at me! You just had to yell at me!That’s rude! That is just so, so rude! ” Jamie went on ranting, not removing her finger from Jung Min’s face. 

 

Wow, she could really talk. Jung Min smirked and slowly removed Jamie’s finger away from his face. “Excuse me miss, you keep saying what I did was rude, but did you also know that it’s also rude to point a finger at someone’s face? Especially someone who doesn’t even know you? Now what did I do to deserve such a treatment from you?”

 

“Are you deaf? I just told you! Oh my God!” This guy is driving me nuts, Jamie said to herself. 

 

“I’m notdeaf , it’s just that you were talking too fast earlier I didn’t really catch what you were saying.” Jung Min was lying. He heard her clearly, and he already knows that she was the girl he yelled at in the plane. She was pretty, but he didn’t like having someone’s finger at his face. He was in a mood to fight back, even to a girl. 

 

“Fine …” Jamie repeated everything she said earlier and a little more. Jung Min clearly enjoyed annoying her. 

 

“Sweetie, why do I feel like I’m looking at two Jung Min’s here?” Sun Mi whispered to Kyu Jong.

 

“Aniyo honey, that’s still Jung Min and Hyung Jun,” Kyu Jong whispered back with a serious face. 

 

As the two continued to argue, Young Saeng scratched his head and sat back down the chair he pulled out earlier. Hyung Jun seemed to want to stop the two but couldn’t get a word in. Kyu Jong and Sun Mi decided to head back to the kitchenleaving it up to Young Saeng and Hyung Jun to figure out how to stop the two from arguing. 

 

“… But you were blocking the way!” 

 

“You could have excused yourself!”

 

“You were on the way! The aisle was so narrow you had to block it!”

 

“You didn’t have to shout at me! And you’re still shouting at me now!”

 

“I am not shouting! You were on my way, I was in a hurry!”

 

“You didn’t even give me a chance to apologize!”

 

“Why did you have to---“

 

“OKAY! Alright you people, that is enough!” Hyung Jun decided to interfere. Young Saeng stood up, took Jaime’s hand and made her sit down. Jung Min remained standing, he flipped his hair away from his face and placed his hands on his hips. He and Jaime continued to stare at each other as if they were still arguing in their heads.

 

Hyung Jun cleared his throat and started to talk. “Well, that was very interesting, though the rest of us really didn’t know what it was about …” Both Jung Min and Jaime glared at him. Hyung Jun just shrugged and continued talking.

 

“So, I know this might be awkward but I got to introduce you guys to each other”, he walked to the space separating Jung Min and Jaime. “Uh … best friend Jung Min, this is my twin sister Jaime. Jaime, that’s Jung Min/Romeo … Romeo/Jung Min, this is Jaime. Okay! That’s settled then!” He finished with an awkward grin on his face. 

 

Young Saeng chuckled while the two remained expressionless. Minutes of painful silence follow as neither of the two were willing to talk.

 

“You know, you two have to talk to each other at some point and work out your issues. I suggest you do it now,” Young Saeng said breaking the silence. “You guys act like two lovers in a quarrel.” 

 

“NO WE DON’T!” Both of them protested at the same time. 

 

“Jaime, maybe you should just let go” Hyung Jun said, “Jung Min did mention that he was in a bad mood.”

 

“And I think you should apologize for shouting at her Jung Min”, Young Saeng added. 

 

Realizing that he was at fault from the beginning, Jung Min approached Jaime and held his hand out, a sign that he wants to make peace.

 

“I’m sorry for shouting at you on the plane and today. I was just in a bad mood but I know that is no reason to yell at someone who didn’t do anything wrong.”

 

Jaime looked up at Jung Min and then to his hand that was held out. He looked sincere so she took his hand and shook it. “Okay, I forgive you. I’m sorry too for getting in your face earlier.”

 

“And also because, you know, I’m an artist and I really cannot afford my reputation to be ruined …” Jaime immediately let go of his hand. She was willing to be friends with him because of Hyung Jun, but now she doesn’t know. 

 

“Wow Jung Min! You really took home the award for Mr. Arrogant!” Hyung Jun said.

 

“Do you want to fight again?” 

 

“Ya! Stop it you guys. Jesus, you act like kids.” Young Saeng stopped the two of them from fighting before it even starts. He was getting tired of all the shouting. 

 

“Come on Saengie, let’s look for Kyu Oppa …” Jaime stood up and pulled Young Saeng’s hand. They disappeared behind a large door that leads into the kitchen.

 

When they were gone, Jung Min faced Hyung Jun and asked, “Is she really your twin?”

 

“Yes. She’s pretty eh? We look identical right?” Hyung Jun proudly answered with a grin.

 

“No, you don’t look identical. She’s pretty, you’re ugly.” Hyung Jun’s smile suddenly disappeared. 

 

“At least I don’t look like a horse!”

 

“Now you’re really getting on my nerves!”

 

The two of them started pulling at each other once again knocking out some chairs in the way. Jung Min was starting to feel better after letting out some of his stress, only he felt sorry for Hyung Jun who was at the receiving end of it.