Falling Out

Slowly Falling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWKZ1w-m60

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Yah, Nam Jaehwa. Are you testing me?” Kim Seokjin, a dashingly charismatic high school senior with chocolate brown hair and plump lips, teasingly narrowed his warm eyes into narrow slits.

A girl with silky smooth skin and black hair chewed on her bottom lip as her lips curled upward. “Maybe...” A bubble of laughter threatened to slip from her pink tongue.

Seokjin, or known as Jin by all of his friends, stepped closer to Jaehwa. She stepped backwards until her back touched the wall. Jin pressed his hands up against the wall, on either side of Jaehwa’s head. She was trapped now.

She looked up at her boyfriend of one year and smiled widely. Her fingers wrung each other as she tried hard not to burst into laughter. Jaehwa got on the tip of her toes and knocked her forehead against his.

Jin closed his eyes and smiled deeply. A small shiver ran down his spine. Small little butterflies fluttered in his chest and he wished the feeling would never go away. “Nam Jaehwa, do you want to see me go mad?” His whisper bounced off her lips.

Jaehwa wrapped her arms around his neck, stepping closer to his body. “Just a little.” She replied with a sparkle of mischief in her round eyes.

“Aigoo.” Jin s his arms around her waist and lifted her up. She automatically wrapped her legs around him and clung onto him. He carried her towards his bedroom and kicked the door shut with his foot.

Jaehwa squirmed in his arms as he blew air into her ear. She bit on her bottom lip and squealed. “Jin oppa! That tickles!”

A bright grin stretched Jin’s lips. The two of them went tumbling onto his queen-size bed, laughter filling the room. Jaehwa immediately got on her knees and glared at Jin. He reached out and brushed her long hair out of heart shaped face. “You look like that scary girl from The Grudge.” Jin chuckled.

Jaehwa’s lips formed into a pout and she scowled. “How rude.” She hit him with a pillow and lay down on his bed. She pulled his comforter over her and snuggled into the pillow. She closed her eyes and let out a sigh of content.

Jin studied her facial expression and felt his heart melt into a puddle. She was so beautiful and incredibly caring. She was a person everyone liked to be around. She always put others before her and never stayed angry for long. A smile always curled her lips upward. Jin planted both hands on either side of her waist and hovered over her.

Jaehwa felt a warm presence over her and her eyes fluttered opened. Her eyes met Jin’s and she smiled. *I tend to smile a lot whenever Jin oppa is around.* He lowered his face and gently pressed his lips against hers. Jaehwa’s eyes fell close and she responded to his soft kiss. Their lips perfectly molded together and rhythmically moved together.

Jin slowly pulled away, but not before pecking her lips one last time. He let out a shaky breath and laid down beside her, propping himself up on his elbow. Jaehwa rolled onto her side and cuddled into his body. “I’m really happy right now, Jin oppa.”

*Jin oppa. I’m her Jin oppa and I always will be.* Jin pulled her recklessly close and kissed her forehead. “I am too, baby.”  

 

“Jaehwa. Nam Jaehwa!” “Earth to Nam Jaehwa~”

Jaehwa snapped out of her daze and looked at her two closest university friends.

Naeun tilted her head to the side with curiosity. Eunji gave Jaehwa a knowing look. “What were you thinking about?”

“Nothing.” Jaehwa gave them both a meek smile and continued writing notes for her psychology class.

Naeun clapped her hands together. “Let’s go get frozen yogurt!” She suggested.

Eunji rolled her eyes. She turned towards Nauen and slapped her pencil down. “Frozen yogurt? We’re not little kids Naeun.” Naeun made a face in return.

“I want frozen yogurt.” Jaehwa whispered. A beam playing on her cherry lips.

Naeun giggled. Eunji shot Jaehwa a look. The three of them all burst into laughter and packed their belongings. They exited the library and made their way to Yogurt Cup, the university’s frozen yogurt shop.

A bell tinkled as they walked into the green and orange decorated shop. Naeun beamed happily and skipped towards the counter. Eunji leaned towards Jaehwa and whispered, “She’s a university sophomore, how much more childish can she get?”

Jaehwa chuckled and shook her head. “Aigoo.” She lightly pushed Eunji’s shoulder and stepped up to order.

The three girls sat at an orange booth near a large window. They conversed about their psychology class and the exam coming up soon.

Naeun pulled the pink spoon out of and pointed it at Jaehwa. “You have nothing to worry about. You always ace the tests.” She pouted and rested her chin in her small palm. “Let me have your brain, please?”

Jaehwa and Eunji laughed. “She’s gonna need all the help she can get.” Eunji jabbed her thumb towards Naeun.  

“Yaah!” Naeun whined. Her frown deepened. Eunji just laughed harder.

“Look who’s talking.” Jaehwa snorted. Eunji stopped laughing and looked at her. Her jaw hung opened and this time, Naeun was the one laughing.

Before Eunji could retort with one of her famous comebacks, Jaehwa’s phone went off. Jaehwa pulled her phone out from her pocket and checked it.

Jin Oppa <3 is calling!

Jaehwa put her spoon down and answered the call. “Hi Jin oppa.”

At his name Eunji turned serious and looked away. Naeun didn’t notice her expression and continued eating her strawberry yogurt.

“Okay, I’ll be there.” Jaehwa hung up and grabbed her bag. “I gotta go.” She smiled and stood up.

Eunji looked up at her. “Do you have to leave?”

Jaehwa’s smile faltered slightly . “I’ll see you both tomorrow. Bye~” She waved and stepped out of the shop.

---

Jin played with his phone. He sat in an empty coffee shop. It was his and Jaehwa’s favorite. She always ordered a caramel macchiato and he would get an iced mocha. He blew air into his cheeks and looked up for any sign of his girlfriend of three years.

The chirp of the door opening made him look up. He sat up straighter and watched Jaehwa make her way towards him. He didn’t stand up and envelope her into a tight hug. Like he used to. She sat down across from him and gave him a smile.

“I got you your drink.” He pushed the tall glass towards her.

Jaehwa’s lips curled up into a smile as she took a sip of her favorite drink. When she looked up, her smile faded. Jin was busy playing with his phone. He wasn’t staring at her, waiting for her to tell him about anything crazy that happened that day. Like he used to.

“So how was your day?” Jin asked, his eyes not leaving his phone once.

Jaehwa planted her elbows on the table and placed her chen in her open palm. “It was alright. Some guy got kicked out of my English class today.” She said.

Jin took a sip from his drink and nodded. “Mmm.” He obviously hadn’t heard what she had said.

Jaehwa sighed and her heart felt heavy. She pushed her drink aside and turned her head, trying to fight the tears forming at the rim of her eyes.

---

It was a cold, autumn evening. Jaehwa had just left the university library and checked the silver watch on her wrist. The little hands told her that it was a quarter until six p.m. The sun was half-way below the horizon and chilly breezes fluttered her hair back.

She stood under the tree that Jin would pick her up at. She checked her phone for any missed calls or texts messages from him. There was nothing. She furrowed her eyebrows and patiently waited.

Twenty minutes passed. She sent Jin a text and paced back and forth. She lightly scuffed the dirt with the tip of her ugg boots. *Where is Jin oppa? He always finishes dance practice early on Fridays.*

The sun had already set and the sky was dotted with few bright stars. Fifteen minutes had passed since Jaehwa sent Jin the text message. She tried calling him but there was no answer. Her heart felt heavy and she suddenly had the urge to cry.

A black Lincoln MKZ came to an abrupt stop in front of her and honked. She looked up and blinked her tears away. The window on the passenger’s side rolled down.

“Get in, loser.”  A familiar, warm voice called.

Jaehwa stepped closer and whispered, “J-Hope.”

He gave her his signature smile and pointed at her. “I’m your hope!”

Jaehwa laughed and got into the car. She buckled her seatbelt and he sped off down the block. She relaxed in the heat of the car and looked at J-Hope. He sensed her stare and glanced at her.

“Did you forget how handsome I am or what? Take a picture it’ll last longer.” He chuckled.

“No!” Jaehwa’s lips curled into a smile and she laughed. Her laughter died down and she became silent. “J-Hope?”

“Yes?” His left arm rested on the window pane and his right hand expertly held onto the steering wheel.

Jaehwa looked down at her phone that sat in her lap. “Where’s Jin oppa?” Her voice threatened to waver.

“He got caught up at the studio and he asked me to pick you up. Sorry I took so long. ” He replied. Jaehwa remained silent. J-Hope felt the mood drop and he looked at her. “Are you okay?”

Jaehwa let out a shaky breath and tears started forming in her eyes. “I’m scared, J-Hope.”

J-Hope panicked at how Jaehwa’s voice sounded. It sounded as though she would burst into tears any moment now. “Jaehwa, what’s wrong?”

“I feel like Jin oppa and I are falling apart.” A tear rolled down her cheek.

“What do you mean?” He pulled into the parking lot of a coffee shop and turned the car off. J-Hope turned to face Jaehwa.

Jaehwa sniffled and looked at him. “We’re so distant now. We’re hardly ever together and when we are it’s like we don’t even know each other. Why is this happening?” She finally burst into tears and covered with her fist.

J-Hope’s heart crumbled at her cries. He pulled her into his arms and the back of her head. He rested his chin on her head and sighed. *I’ve been noticing it too. I just didn’t want to tell you because I was afraid this would happen.*

---

Jin headed upstairs with a packet of Oreo cookies in his hand. He opened the door to his bedroom and gently closed it behind him. He saw Jaehwa lying on his bed. She wore a pair of his blue boxers and his favorite long-sleeve. The shirt came down to her thighs but to him, she looked beautiful.

She looked to the side and noticed him. She saw the packet of cookies and sat up in a flash. Her eyes shined. “Oreos.” She whispered.

Jin laughed at her reaction and set the cookies on his desk. He caught her around the waist as she tried to get to the cookies. “Nooo! I want Oreos!” Jaehwa squealed.

She was tossed onto the bed and Jin landed on top of her. He trapped her with his body and smiled down at her. His bangs fell in front of his face. “What do you want more? Oreos or your boyfriend?” Jin asked, taunting her.

Jaehwa bit down on her bottom lip and tried hard not to smile widely. She s her arms around his neck and pulled him down. Their lips were centimeters away. At the last second, Jaehwa flipped Jin to her left and shot up for the cookies.

Jin jumped off the bed and swept Jaehwa off her feet. He picked her up bridal style and threw her onto the bed. “That’s it. You don’t get any cookies.” Jin’s voice dropped to a husky whisper as he climbed on top of her. His fingers inched her shirt up and he tickled her.

A scream left Jaehwa’s lips and she burst into laughter. She cursed herself for being super ticklish. She tried to push Jin’s arms away. Instead he wrapped his arms around her waist and rolled onto his back so that Jaehwa laid on top of him.

Their eyes met and they shared loving smiles that dripped with affection. Jin leaned in and softly pressed his lips against hers. Jaehwa closed her eyes and responded to the kiss. Jin’s tongue her bottom lip and she allowed his tongue to dominate hers.

A sudden burning sensation sprung to life in Jin’s chest. He felt hot and blood rushed south. Jin slowly pulled away and breathed heavily. He looked into Jaehwa’s eyes. He laced his fingers through hers and her soft cheek. “Jaehwa.”

“Mmm?” She stared up at him.

Jin tried to find the right words to say. He hesitated and then breathed out. “I want to make our summer before college special.”

Jaehwa’s eyes slightly rounded. She knew in an instant what he meant by his words. A part of her was terrified but she also wanted to build an even stronger bond with him. She slid her hands up his toned arms and played with his hair. “I trust you, Jin oppa.”

---

“BANG! TAN! SO! NYEON! DAN!”

“JINGYEOKHAE BANG! TAN! SONYEONDANCHEOREOM!”

Jin laughed freely and let his body fall onto the couch, landing on top of Suga. Suga groaned but didn’t push him off. J-Hope smirked and jumped on both Suga and Jin. The two males grunted under J-Hope’s pressure but burst into laughter.

Jin sighed in content and shut his eyes. It had been a while since he felt this light hearted. He didn’t know why but he hadn’t felt himself lately.

“Are we just gonna lay here? If we’re not going to make out or something, we’re wasting our time.” J-Hope joked, earning an uproar of laughter from Suga and Jin. J-Hope grinned and lifted himself off Jin. He stretched his arms above his head and grabbed his water bottle.

Jin sat up and ruffled his hair. Today’s dance practice had been brutal but he felt good. He felt as though a weight was lifted off his shoulders even though he didn’t know what it was.

Suga stood up and grabbed his duffel bag. He turned and cocked his head to the right. “Isn’t it date night for you and Jaehwa tonight?”

J-Hope stopped what he was doing and looked at Jin. Jin’s eyes rounded and he scrambled for his phone. Just as he unlocked his phone he received a text message.

Where are you? - Jaehwa <3

“ing .” Jin grabbed his bag and ran out of the studio in a flash.

J-Hope and Suga exchanged looks. J-Hope sighed and shook his head. Suga rubbed the back of his neck and hoped for the best. *I don’t think this is going to end well.* They both thought and left the practice room.

---

Jin ran until he reached the Han river. He checked his watch and cursed. He saw Jaehwa leaning against the bridge railing and exhaled. He walked up to her and slung his arm around her neck. “Hey, sorry I’m late.” He said and led her down the bridge.

Jaehwa stepped away from his arm and stopped walking. Jin turned around and gave her a look of confusion. “You’re late.” She whispered.

“I know, I said I was sorry.” Jin stated.

Jaehwa wrapped her arms around herself. “I waited for an hour.”

Jin’s eyebrows furrowed in the center. “And I said I was sorry. Come on, let’s go eat.” He reached out for her but she stepped back. He looked at her and noticed her eyes were wet.

“Jin oppa.” Jaehwa whispered. Jin stared at her, scared of what she was going to say. “Our love is running out, isn’t it? We’re falling out of love, aren’t we?” A tear rolled down her cheek.

Jin’s heart dropped. The same questions had been boggling his mind but he didn’t want to admit it. He swallowed the growing lump in his throat and hot tears formed in his eyes. He remained silent and avoided her gaze.

*I was right. Our love is over.* Jaehwa covered with her hand and ran past him. Tears blurred her vision and and rolled down her face but she kept running. A tear squeezed out of Jin’s eye and rolled down his cheek.

---

“Aigoo.” Eunji reached her hand out and plucked tissues from the small pink box. She brushed Jaehwa’s hair out of her face and gently wiped the tears away.

Naeun pouted and rubbed Jaehwa’s arm. “It’s only been one week. Things will get better.”

The three girls were all at Jaehwa’s house, cooped up in her bedroom. Eunji sat on the bed with her back against the wall and Naeun sat beside her. Jaehwa’s head was nestled on Eunji’s lap.

The room was silent. The only sound was Jaehwa’s sobbing. Her arm covered her eyes and her tears stained Eunji’s black jeans. Eunji and Naeun looked at each other, wishing their best friend wasn’t in such pain.

“Are you okay?” Naeun asked.

Jaehwa sat up and put a hand over her chest. “It hurts.” Her bottom lip trembled and she burst into another round of tears.

---

Suga bent over to catch his breath. J-Hope laid on the floor and took in deep breaths.

“Again.” Jin grunted and got into his starting position. He paused and looked back at Suga and J-Hope. “Let’s go again.”

J-Hope ran his fingers through his hair and looked at Jin. “We’ve been practicing for five hours, Jin. Let’s all go get something to eat and relax.”

“I said, again.” Jin faced the mirrored wall and looked at his own face. There were dark circles under his eyes. His face was pale and he felt weird.

Suga grabbed his duffel bag and slung it over his shoulder. “No, I’m done.”

Jin turned his head towards Suga and felt uneasy. He felt his body sway and he felt light-headed. J-Hope noticed and stepped forward. “Jin, are you okay?”

Jin briefly looked at J-Hope before his eyes rolled back and he dropped to the floor.

“JIN!”

---

Jaehwa was curled up in bed, lying on her side. Eunji and Naeun had left after a lot of persuasion and reassuring from Jaehwa. The sun had long gone down and cold wind swept into Jaehwa’s bedroom. She rolled onto her back and stared up at the ceiling. Tears welled up her eyes and rolled down her cheeks.

Suddenly, her phone started vibrating. She sat up and grabbed it off her bedside table. J-Hope was calling her.

“Hello?” Her voice sounded groggy.

“Jaehwa, come outside. I need you to come with me. Hurry.” He quickly said and hung up without letting her respond.

Jaehwa looked out her window and saw J-Hope’s car in her driveway. She threw on a red sweater and slipped into her brown boots. She headed downstairs and closed the house door behind her. She walked up to J-Hope’s car and got in. As soon as her door shut, J-Hope backed out and sped off.

“What’s going on? Where are we going?” Jaehwa looked at J-Hope.

J-Hope gripped onto the wheel and just kept driving. His unresponsiveness made her nervous. She felt scared and she grabbed his hand, squeezing it. “Did something happen? J-Hope, please.”

*Damn it.* J-Hope bit his bottom lip and accelerated.

In less than ten minutes, they arrived at Seoul Hospital. Jaehwa looked up at the building and then at J-Hope. “What are we doing here?” She asked.

He parked the car and turned it off. Jaehwa climbed out of the car. “Damn it, J-Hope. Answer me.” She said, frustrated.

“Fifth floor, room J14. Jin’s in there.” J-Hope said.

Jaehwa froze and she felt her stomach drop. “W-What?”

J-Hope grabbed her hand and ran into the building. He led her through the halls and pushed her into the elevator. “Room J14.” He repeated before the doors shut.

Jaehwa’s heart pounded in her chest. She longed to see Jin’s face. To hear his voice and be held securely in his arms. The elevator stopped at the fifth floor and Jaehwa stepped out. She walked down the hallway and searched for room J14.

Her steps came to a stop when she saw a green door that had J14 engraved onto it in big silver lettering. She reached out and grabbed the doorknob. She froze, terrified. *What am I doing here? What if he doesn’t want to see me?* She ignored her mind and twisted it opened.

“You’re slower than my grandma, J-Hope. Where’s my water?” Jin looked up from his phone and stiffened.

Jaehwa paused at the foot of the hospital bed. She felt her heart drop at the sight of him. His face was still slightly pale. clogged up with emotions. Her eyes swelled up with tears. She covered with her hand as she came around to his right side.

Jin stared up at her. He felt his heart beat faster. *Oh god, I missed her so damn much.* He cursed himself for letting her go too easily. “What are you doing here?” He whispered.

Jaehwa glanced at his phone and saw that she was still his screen wallpaper. Her chest inflated with some hope. “Why are you in here?” She questioned, choking on a sob. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she stared at the IV stuck in his arm.

Jin tried to cover his hand and looked up at her. Instead of telling her, he handed her a blue clipboard with his information on it.

Dehydration and lack of rest.

Jaehwa read the papers and then suddenly smacked him with the clipboard. Jin jumped in surprise and looked at her with wide eyes. “What was that for?!”

“You’re so stupid!” She cried.

Jin grabbed her wrist and pulled her toward him. She fell into his arms and he lifted her up onto the bed. He laid her right next to him and held onto her waist tightly. Jaehwa stopped struggling and stayed still. Jin buried his face into her neck and inhaled her warm, cherry blossom scent.

Jaehwa felt her heart thump madly against her ribcage. She glanced down at Jin and broke into tears once more. “I’m sorry Jin oppa.”

He pulled away and looked at Jaehwa. He the back of her head and looked into her eyes. “I’m sorry too, baby girl.”

Jin gently pressed his lips against hers. His lips felt hot and melted against her own instantly. Jaehwa pressed herself against Jin, grabbing a handful on his black shirt. His tongue grazed along her bottom lips, asking for entrance. Jaehwa parted her lips, allowing Jin’s tongue to venture . Their lungs burned but the deepened the kiss. A new burning sensation started in their chests and they felt as though they were on cloud nine.

Slowly, Jin pulled away and rested his forehead against hers. Jaehwa touched his cheek and planted a small, chaste kiss on his lips. Jin closed his eyes and savored it. He had missed her touch like crazy. “Nam Jaehwa.”

“Mmm?” She ran  her fingers through his hair.

Jin closed his eyes. “I’m so sorry for everything. I promise to never let you go, even if you beg me to. I love you so much, baby.” A tear rolled down his face.

Jaehwa wiped it away with her thumb and gently smiled at him. “I love you too Jin oppa. I’m yours, no matter what.”

And with that, Jin pulled her in for another breath-taking kiss.