Mama, He's Crazy

Mama, He's Crazy

 

Mama, He's Crazy

 

a one-shot entry to The Game of Chance competition

 

poster credits going out to lovely galleria (insanityme
 

 

 

(i) Mama, he's a bad boy!

 

 

Choi Haerin was a busy woman.

 

After tautly strapping herself into her tiny Volvo, she wasted no time in stepping onto the accelerator. The car jolted forward and she immediately joined the bustling traffic of peak hour. The roads and streets in Seoul were horrific during this time of day. She was driving at a snail-like pace and with each second that ticked on her watch, her patience was gradually beginning to wear off.

 

She was late.

 

The thought of that triggered her to recklessly manoeuvre her way through the traffic like a lunatic.

 

A series of beeps fired at her direction, as she manically sped past the other cars, zig-zagging her way in and out of lanes. It was a sheer miracle that she managed to avoid colliding into any other vehicle.

 

She gritted her teeth, she eyed the watch for the millionth time. Getting back to Gyeonggi would talk longer than usual. It wasn't like she didn't mind the long drive, it was more the traffic that bothered her.

 

However, Haerin could have avoided the situation in the first place.

 

Cleaning up, making meals, doing laundry, gossiping and other stereotypical housewife duties clearly did not appeal to someone like her. Even if her husband was a renowned architect, earning well above the average income, she was not the type to latch onto his money. Her personality did not allow her to indulge in wealth, which was one of the reasons why he had chosen to marry her.

 

Haerin liked keeping active. She needed to be involved and do things that stimulated her mind or else, she believed, her brain would waste away.

 

After a few discussions and arguments with her stubborn husband, she had only recently convinced him to allow her to help out with the architecture company. She had earned herself a receptionist position, working three times a week. It as a job Haerin loved dearly.

 

She had been so absorbed with her work that day, that she hadn't spared a glance at the clock. When she had, she realised that she was very, very late.

 

Sorry Sooyoung!

 

She slammed hard onto the breaks, preventing her from ramming into the car in front of her. She flinched when she imagined her daughter's face. flinching when she pictured her daughter's face. She needed to get to the childcare as soon as possible.

 

Sooyoung had already given her the guilt trip when Haerin had started working again, claiming that she had abandoned her. Sooyoung had mastered the pitiful look from a young age; inevitably making Haerin feel like the most awful mother on the planet.

 

Haerin was not ready for her six-year-old daughter to lecture her again, acting as if she was the adult and Haerin, the child. It was really Sooyoung's talent to make her feel guilt-ridden. Haerin wouldn't be surprised if her daughter became an actress; for she definitely had all the prerequisites.

 

The sun had set when Haerin finally parked her car in front of the childcare. As well as expecting an earful from her daughter, she was certain she'd also get a reprimand from the workers too.

 

Launching herself out of the car, Haerin rushed inside the building was welcomed by loud wailing.

 

The wailing, of course, belonged to Sooyoung.

 

Sooyoung's eyes were puffy; face pink and tears rolling down her face, staining her fairy floss pink dress. That morning, Haerin had tied her daughter's hair into two pigtails. One of the pigtails remained, while the other had collapsed into a frizzy heap.

 

Haerin exchanged glances with the worker standing behind her daughter. The worker gave a weak smile.

 

Quietly, the worker said, “She's been crying on and off for the past three hours! I've tried everything I could do to cheer her up...but unfortunately nothing has worked!”

 

The poor worker looked exhausted and Haerin did her best to reassure her that it wasn't her fault. However, what got to Haerin the most was that Sooyoung had been upset for so long because once given candy or a simple compliment, Sooyoung would be happy again. She was easy to please.

 

First, Haerin dumped Sooyoung's backpack into the car before returning back into the building to fetch her daughter.

 

Haerin squatted down to her daughter's eye-level. She patted her head. “I'm sorry that I was late, Soo. Hop on mama's back and I'll treat you to a hamburger tonight.”

 

Although Haerin despised feeding her baby greasy hamburgers, she needed to say something to elevate her daughter's mood. Bringing up hamburgers was a tactic since she only allowed Sooyoung to eat one hamburger once a year. To Sooyoung, hamburger had always been a delicacy.

 

Yet, somehow...it wasn't working. Her daughter looked like she wasn't being persuaded at all.

 

Are you angry at me?”

 

No, mama.” Little Sooyoung sniffed. “I'm not angry at you.”

 

Then what's wrong?”

 

Sooyoung began crying again.

 

Sighing, Haerin bent down and carried her daughter out of the childcare. She placed her onto the back seat, strapping the seatbelt over her body.

 

The ride home was quiet.

 

When Haerin offered her daughter a doughnut, Sooyoung refused. Usually they'd talk about everything that happened that day. From how many blocks Sooyoung had used to build a castle to which nursery rhyme Sooyoung had sung. The silence worried Haerin.

 

Upon arriving home, Sooyoung was already nodding off. Haerin bathed her, dressed her and then tucked her under the sheets. As she sat next to her on the bed, she lovingly began to her daughter's hair. The fact that she had denied food made Haerin anxious too. Had someone bullied her because of her gluttonous eating habits? Haerin thought of doing her own investigating to find out who was bothering her and-

 

Haerin's stomach grumbled. She needed to eat something first...

 

As Haerin was about to creep out of Sooyoung's bedroom, Sooyoung called out to her.

 

Mama, he's a bad boy!”

 

Finally, words were coming out of Sooyoung's mouth. Instantly, Haerin appeared at at the end of Sooyoung's bed. She was thankful that Sooyoung was talking to her again. Sooyoung was the type to voice out her tiny concerns to amusing questions. Haerin had listened to it all because she was afraid, that one day, Sooyoung would grow old and not tell her anything.

 

What's wrong, honey?” Haerin said. “Was it Jonghyun again? Did he say something mean again? You know that he's always joking so-”

 

No!” Sooyoung furiously denied. “It's not him. We're friends now.”

 

Then who is it?” Haerin asked, curiously. Jonghyun was the only boy Sooyoung talked about. Sooyoung hadn't mentioned to her about any other boy...

 

There's a new boy,” Sooyoung said.

 

A new boy?” Haerin repeated. It was making sense now...sort of.

 

He's naughty and I hate him!”

 

Hate's a strong word,” Haerin frowned. “Don't say that. You said he was new, so you can't judge him straight away before-”

 

But he lied to me and mama, you told me that it's bad to lie! Lying means Santa won't give you a present!”

 

For Sooyoung to get so worked up made Haerin genuinely interested what the boy had done to tick her off. “What's his name?”

 

Changmin.”

 

Changmin-ssi,” Haerin corrected her.

 

Who cares?!” Sooyoung blurted out, “I hate him!”

 

Haerin was finding it difficult to control her laughter when her daughter explained the story. It was a story she wanted to tell everybody and a story she would continue to remind her daughter of even when she reached the age of thirty.

 

Whoever this Changmin boy was, he appeared to be a genius.

 

So you exchanged your lunch for his US dollar?” Haerin summarised what her daughter had told her. It was a big deal for Sooyoung to give away her food. Haerin noted that her daughter must have been very interested and intrigued by the US money since she hadn't seen any other currency asides from the Korean won.

 

And when you showed Jonghyun, he laughed at you when he saw the money?”

 

Yes! Jonghyun said that Changmin lied to me!” Sooyoung cried. “Changmin told me that he lived in America and had American money, so we swapped my lunch for his money...and then Jonghyun told me it was fake. He said it was monopoly money!”

 

Haerin tightly gripped onto the bedsheets. Tears were building up in her eyes. She struggled, holding in her laughter.

 

It makes me mad too!” Sooyoung said, misreading the tears in her mother's eyes. “And when I told him that he was mean, he gave me his toy car as an apology.”

 

He said sorry then. Shouldn't you forget about it?” Haerin said.

 

But he ate all my food!”

 

It was then that Haerin finally understood. Sooyoung was in a horrible mood because she hadn't eaten all day and the fact that she had been fooled out of her food made her irritated.

 

Haerin smiled. She really wanted to meet this boy genius.

 

 

 

 

 

(ii) Mama, he's blackmailing me!

 

 

Sipping some herbal tea, Haerin looked up from the newspaper as she witnessed her daughter make a grand entrance.

 

My day has been absolutely mortifying, Mama!”

 

Sooyoung threw her backpack onto the glass dining table and sank down into the leather sofa. Haerin was surprised the glass hadn't shattered by the intensity with which Sooyoung had her bag.

 

Haerin's daughter still in her Starbucks uniform. Her hair was pulled back into a messy bun with her name tag pinned onto the uniform shirt.

 

It had been so quick how her daughter had grown up.

 

Sooyoung was already a teen, working part-time at Starbucks while studying in high school. Haerin was grateful that she hadn't turned into a rebellious adolescent. However, seeing Sooyoung throwing her belongings wildly around could be a start – something that Haerin hoped that would never happen.

 

Haerin queried, “Was work that bad? I thought you loved your job...”

 

I love it, but I hate customers who are complete s!

 

Language, Sooyoung!” Haerin raised an eyebrow.

 

He is though!” She spluttered out.

 

Who?”

 

An .”

 

Sooyoung!”

 

But Mama!” Sooyoung complained. “Mama, he's blackmailing me!”

 

 


 

It never fazed Sooyoung that her future continued to be vague and blurry. The career counsellor had interrogated her again. It was the same answer – Sooyoung didn't know. Sooyoung was just as clueless as she had been for most of her school years.

 

Sooyoung was never one to think about the future, for she was content with the present – especially when it involved trekking to her part-time job after school.

 

She loved her friends, but lately she loved her work more those days. It was the environment that made her the happiest.

 

Working meant exposure; a step into the adult world. And, in some sense, Sooyoung's first taste of responsibility. She was aware she was well-off in comparison with her classmates. Despite her father being an architect, Sooyoung had wanted to establish her own name. She strived to be independent, earning her own money, being taken seriously and, well...there was Yunho of course.

 

In other words, she fancied her manager.

 

They made a good team. Whenever Yunho said she was doing a good job, Sooyoung swore she could feel butterflies swarming around in her stomach. Her eyes would lighten up and her cheeks would turn pink.

 

Yunho was the type of guy that everybody found attractive.

 

He had a natural charm and gallant charisma that ;eft the hearts of every female in the vicinity to flutter. From the flirty teenage customers, the gushing grandmas, the blushing older women to even the adoring mothers. He captured everybody's attention.

 

Sooyoung had the advantage because she was the one that worked with the modern-day deity. Yunho was tall, handsome and kind. A rare combination that existed in fairytales – never reality. Yet, Yunho did exist. To Sooyoung, he really was like a dream come to life.

 

However, Sooyoung's shift with Yunho didn't turn out how she had envisioned it to be; for it had been ruined by a certain someone.

 

It was ruined as soon as she saw that one frustrating customer casually stroll in.

 

Sooyoung let out a sigh.

 

She didn't know his name. It was only the week before the customer had begun making his daily trips to Starbucks. She didn't even want to know his name. She found herself hoping that he would take an interest in some other Starbucks miles away; which was surprising as Sooyoung was quite mellow. She was a patient person, but whenever she saw him she was anything but.

 

There was something about him that just irked the hell out of her.

 

The customer was indecisive when ordering, wasting her invaluable time which she could have spent with Yunho. From his hideous-looking uniform and annoying devilish smirk – there was nothing appealing at all about him. He had an awful tendency to look at her in a way that made her want to stab his eyes out with a straw.

 

Whoever he was, he was nothing compared to Yunho. Yunho truly was a God and this customer was clearly a ball of frustration.

 

May I take your order, sir?” She asked, dully.

 

I'm only a few years older than you. Why do you call me 'sir'?” The customer questioned her.

 

Sooyoung gave an inward groan. Bristling, she continued, “Would you like the same drink? Our chocolate Starbucks frappaccino?”

 

Yes.” The customer nodded. “Or maybe I should try the mocha..or the strawberry and cream. Maybe I'll have some tea this time. No, the frappaccino sounds good. I think caramel with-”

 

Sir,” Sooyoung bit her lip. “If you haven't decided, would you like to step to the back of the line?”

 

Sooyoung hadn't meant to be rude, but while the customer had been deciding what he had wanted, a long line had begun to form behind him. Whenever she saw the customer's face, her patience seemed to evaporate. There was something vaguely familiar about him that made her click her tongue in disgust.

 

Her foul tone had even caused Yunho to give her a surprised glance. It humiliated her that Yunho had seen her temper. She wanted Yunho to her as the perfect woman because she liked him really badly.

 

The customer concluded. “Fine. A chocolate frappaccino it is.”

 

She sighed again. Sooyoung watched as the customer fumbled through his wallet for the exact amount in coins. It took longer because he then fished out for the more coins in his backpack.

 

After, what felt like days, Sooyoung collected the coins into her palm. She counted the amount and dropped each of the coins into the register.

 

Please wait over there.” She pointed out.

 

The customer bowed, like he usually did. “Thank you, madame.”

 

Oh, how Sooyoung wanted to kill him...

 

Midway through the third order, Yunho approached her. “Did he ask you for a strawberry frappaccino or a chocolate one?”

 

A chocolate one,” Sooyoung muttered, already knowing who Yunho was referring to. Did that particular customer enjoy causing trouble?

 

He told me that he wanted a strawberry one,” Yunho sighed. “I'll go and make another one,”

 

Sorry.” Sooyoung wasn't. She was fuming so much inside that she didn't feel apologetic at all for the jerk. “I was certain he said chocolate.”

 

Don't worry. He's always like that,” Yunho muttered. He left her with a vision of his charming smile as he left to fix up the order.

 

Half an hour later, Yunho urged her to take her break. Seeing the left over chocolate frappe, Sooyoung helped herself to it and took a seat by the window.

 

She sipped on the cold beverage while watching cars drive past.

 

Taking out her homework, she started scribbling and solving the algebra equations that were due the next day. Whenever it was her break, she took advantage of it and did as many mathematic equations as she could. It saved Sooyoung from doing them at home.

 

Aren't you going to say thank-you for the drink?” A voice interrupted her.

 

Sooyoung glanced up and, this time, didn't bother to hide when she groaned. Sooyoung glared at the customer. She had thought that he had left the cafe already, yet he had still been there.

 

Can't you see that I'm busy?”

 

Can't you say thank you?” He mimicked her. “Where are your manners?”

 

What are you?” She spluttered out, incredulously. “A stalker?”

 

The customer shrugged. “No. My name is Changmin.”

 

You have a stupid name.”

 

And you have terrible manners,” Changmin said in an authoritative tone.

 

Sooyoung ignored him, proceeding to finish off the equation. She couldn't completely concentrate on the problem because she could see Changmin staring at her from the corner of her eye. Although absentminded, Sooyoung managed to solve the problem.

 

You're good at maths.”

 

Sooyoung didn't reply. She knew she was good at maths. She had inherited the skill from her father. While most people found mathematics quite difficult, she thought of it was a piece of cake.

 

She took a sip from the frappaccino, continuing to solve the next equation.

 

You also like Yunho, don't you?”

 

Sooyoung's eyes widened, almost spitting out the frappaccino at Changmin's sly comment. For the first time ever, Sooyoung looked squarely at Changmin who returned her gaze, grinning at her.

 

Thought so.”

 

Stop making things up!” Sooyoung snapped, pushing him on the shoulder. Although Changmin was very much a stranger, he was asking for a push.

 

You're not meant to hurt your customers.”

 

And you're not meant to abuse my patience!” She huffed.

 

Changmin chuckled heartily. His laugh made a few heads turn in their direction as he his chuckle was loud and melodious. Sooyoung had never heard anybody laugh like that before, and for some odd reason, it made her smile as well.

 

No. She shook her head. He wasn't funny.

 

Why are you laughing?”

 

Because you can't like him. You should give up on him, you know?”

 

What?” Sooyoung blinked. “Why?”

 

Yunho...he's got a girlfriend,” Changmin revealed.

 

How would you know?” Sooyoung folded her arms.

 

Changmin smirked. “He's my best friend.”

 

Sooyoung wanted to disappear into a puddle. Her face was red as a tomato now. She had never felt so embarrassed in her life.

 

Don't worry,” Changmin reassured her, mockingly. There was a mischievous sparkle in his eyes. “If you go out for dinner with me, I won't tell anybody that you like Yunho.”

 

 

 

 

 

Haerin laughed at Sooyoung's story. “It's the same boy, isn't it?”

 

What?”

 

The one that made you cry when you were six! It has to be,” Haerin stated. “Because he's probably the only person that can get under your skin. Don't you remember-”

 

I remember,” Sooyoung growled. “You never let me hear the end of that story. You're like a broken record. It's a story that you almost tell everybody about how I got conned by a boy genius. Whatever, Mama. There are many guys out there who have the same name, anyway.”

 

It's intriguing,” Haerin smiled into her tea.

 

How is this intriguing?” Sooyoung gaped. “He's blackmailing into dinner! He's a dreadful person! How could somebody do something like that to me-”

 

He likes you, Sooyoung,” Haerin giggled. “Because that's exactly how your father asked me out. He's using an excuse to go on a date with you.”

 

Sooyoung stared at her mother as if she had lost her mind. “Changmin likes me? Are you crazy!”

 

You should try going out with him. He might actually be interesting.”

 

Haerin watched as her daughter storm away. Clearly, Sooyoung hadn't accepted her proposal. Haerin gave another giggle when she heard Sooyoung slamming the bedroom door behind her.

 

If this Changmin happened to be the same boy, fate surely had a great sense of humour.

 

She finished the rest of her tea, smiling.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(iii) Mama, he's so sweet!

 

 

Haerin tossed and turned.

 

Squinting, she gazed at the red digits. It was already one in the morning and she hadn't returned home! Haerin hadn't slept a wink because she kept waiting for the sound of the front door to open and for her daughter to walk past her bedroom.

 

One o'clock, and she still hadn't come home.

 

Haerin.” Her husband yawned. Cho Joohyun rested an arm around her. “You're restless tonight. Get some sleep, will you?”

 

Sooyoung isn't home yet.”

 

What?”

 

Joohyun sat up. “Is she with Changmin?”

 

Haerin bit her bottom lip, but she was a bad liar. “Maybe.”

 

Haerin.”

 

Fine. Yes, she is.” Haerin admitted. “Come on, Joo. She's an adult now. Let her have fun. It's Valentine's Day.”

 

Let her have fun? You and I both know what 'fun' can mean,” Joohyun said, stressed. “And it's no longer Valentine's Day. Who knows what they can be up to at this hour! If she doesn't get back here, I'm going to murder that punk!”

 

Before Haerin could respond, in unison they both heard the footsteps of their daughter walk past them. Joohyun was about to leap out of the bed, but Haerin ushered him back into bed.

 

You have work tomorrow. Let me handle this.”

 

No! I need to interrogate her and-”

 

Joohyun,” Haerin shook her head, smiling at him. “You'll scare her. Give her a break. She's home now.”

 

Her husband growled. “Well, if she comes later next time...I will hunt that boy down and castrate him.”

 

Haerin laughed. She slid out of the bed and kissed her sullen husband on the forehead before disappearing out of their bedroom.

 

She hesitated at the door before peering inside Sooyoung's room.

 

Her daughter had a massive grin on her face. She was prancing and dancing around her bedroom, humming and giggling. Haerin had never seen her so happy. The infectious infatuation tended to do wonders on a person. She knew exactly how her daughter was feeling and seeing her act that way made her smile.

 

How was it?” Haerin curiously leaned on the doorframe.

 

Sooyoung stumbled over her feet, gawking that she had been seen. “Mama! Don't do that!”

 

Do what?” Haerin teased. “I didn't know you danced.”

 

Mama!”

 

Even though Sooyoung was in college, she still called her 'Mama' … not that Haerin minded at all. That way, Haerin didn't feel as old as she was. In fact, it made her feel younger.

 

So...how was it?” Haerin finally asked. She was dying to hear how her date had went that night.

 

After Changmin's determination and persistence, her Sooyoung had finally began to have feelings for him.

 

Mama, he is so sweet!” She responded, giving her a dazzling simper.

 

 


 

 

Two years. It had been two years since they had deemed themselves as an official couple.

 

It was their second year anniversary.

 

Sooyoung didn't know what Changmin had in store for her, but she trusted him anyway. Blindfolded, she let his hand grasp onto her wrist as she was dragged along.

 

There's a few steps that you need to take here,” Changmin instructed her. He slowly and diligently led her up the stairs.

 

She almost tripped on her shoelace, but Changmin immediately supported her frame. He almost lifted her up most of the way until she was finally put back onto the platform.

 

The surface was unsteady. She felt like she'd fall, so she kept gripping onto Changmin's sleeve.

 

They were on a boat. She was sure of it. She didn't know where exactly they were, but Sooyoung was certain that they were on water. The way the ground rocked back and forth made her slightly queasy.

 

Can I take the blindfolds off now?”

 

No!” Changmin exclaimed.

 

Changmin proceeded to take her further onto unfamiliar grounds. He told her when to watch out for an object and the amount of steps to take. Ten minutes later, Sooyoung had completely lost her bearings.

 

Then music started playing...

 

As she was about to open to ask what was going on, she felt Changmin's lips capture hers.

 

Her body tingled from his touch. Her heartbeat doubled as she sighed into the kiss. She didn't know where they were kissing, but she knew she was kissing him. His scent, his mannerism, the way his lips curved in amusement – Sooyoung knew it all.

 

The chemistry felt stronger that night. Perhaps it was because she was blindfolded and extra sensitive to his touch considering her sense of sight had been taken away from her.

 

Jazzy music filled the air. Sooyoung felt him touch her hip and, before she knew it, they were swaying and dancing to the music.

 

At that moment, Changmin whipped away her blindfolds.

 

Sooyoung gasped.

 

Yes, they were on a boat. They were on the top floor. There were no walls. What were meant to be walls were replaced with gigantic windows that surrounded them, displaying the Han River and the orange and red horizon of the setting sun.

 

Above all, they were dancing in the middle of the dance floor. Candles surrounded where they stood, dimly lighting the place up. And, on the far right, there was a table set up for two.

 

You remembered,” Sooyoung whispered.

 

That you always wanted to go on a boat?” Changmin .

 

No!” Sooyoung playfully smacked him. “You remembered that I've never been on a boat on Han river.”

 

And I swore that I'd take you,” Changmin nodded, remembering. “Because you're a disgrace to your race for never doing this.”

 

Sooyoung smacked him again. She was getting teary. “You're such a retard.”

 

Only retarded for you,” Changmin winked, causing her to laugh.

 

They sat down and a waiter poured them a glass of red wine each before bringing out the appetisers before the main meal arrived. Once they had demolished all the food, the desserts came rolling in.

 

Sooyoung and Changmin were known to be the gluttonous pair. Haerin's mother had told Sooyoung that their fondness for each other was exactly how they were found of food – clearly a match made in heaven.

 

It was only the two of them there. Changmin must have rented out the whole place just for the two of them.

 

How did you do this?” Sooyoung asked him, suspiciously. “You didn't do anything illegal, did you?”

 

Considering they were still both in college, it would have cost Changmin a fortune to organise the Valentine's Day event. Changmin wasn't exactly rich, so it sounded fishy how he managed to arrange the boat date for them.

 

Changmin finished his glass of wine, staring at her, acting appalled. “Why would you say something like that? How could you suspect me to do something so immature?”

 

Very funny, Changmin,” she muttered. “Have you forgotten? I know you.”

 

He gave a boyish simper. “You got me. Nothing too illegal. A friend of mine works here. Do you remember? Kyuhyun?”

 

Yeah...”

 

Well, I got a discount from him. Besides, this company has gone bankrupt...”

 

And so you took advantage of their situation?”

 

Why shouldn't I?” Changmin grinned.

 

Sooyoung laughed and soon, Changmin joined in.

 

The life of poor college students. It was a miracle that Changmin had actually organised the night perfectly. Sooyoung hadn't expected anything too extravagant, yet he had went against all the odds and somehow transformed their expected ordinary date into such a romantic memorable night.

 

Perhaps that was why she adored Changmin. Her boyfriend always did things that caught her off guard.

 

It's only lacking fireworks,” Changmin commented. “Next time-”

 

Don't you dare,” Sooyoung snapped. “You know how much I hate fireworks. They frighten me so much. Limbs can detach from bodies by how powerful fireworks are, you know?”

 

Changmin smirked. “That's why it would be great to include it in one of our dates one day.”

 

That will grant you an immediate break up,” Sooyoung warned.

 

I'm willing to take the risk.”

 

You're not funny,” Sooyoung pursed her lips.

 

Changmin scratched his head, stretching. Something dawned over him. “Oh yeah...I forgot something.”

 

Sooyoung watched as Changmin pulled out a box from under the table. Sooyoung let out a sigh of relief when she noted that it wasn't a small box. It was too soon for Changmin to propose to her, after all. They both didn't even have steady jobs yet.

 

Ripping the pink wrapping paper, Sooyoung yelped when she saw the Chloé perfume box.

 

Sooyoung was simple. She had only wanted the perfume and she had hinted it to Changmin. If the date had turned into failure, at least she knew Changmin would give her the perfume that she desired the most.

 

Why do you look happier that I got you the perfume more than this beautiful night I prepared?” Changmin said, feigning hurt.

 

Sooyoung laughed. “Of course. You're the best boyfriend ever.”

 

Is that all?” Changmin said. “Do I get anything else?”

 

Sooyoung rolled her eyes. Nevertheless, she stood up from her chair and sat on his lap. “What do you want, Changmin?”

 

She snickered when she saw his Adam's apple move when he gulped at her. It was rare whenever Sooyoung acted flirtatious, not that her boyfriend ever complained about it. When Changmin was about to run his hands up her dress, she grabbed his hands and, it was her turn, to drag him away.

 

Sooyoung brought him to the dance floor. And, together, they happily danced the night away.

 

 

 

 

(iv) Mama, he only cares about himself!

 

 

The phone rang.

 

But what stunned Haerin was the fact that her daughter was calling her.

It was odd and rare that Sooyoung was calling her on a Monday night. It had been weeks since she had spoken to Sooyoung.

 

They usually caught up and had a lunch or dinner every fortnight, on Thursday, but in between Sooyoung was too busy to see her. She no longer lived at home as she was currently residing with her boyfriend, much to her dislike.

 

Bringing the phone to her ear, Haerin answered the call. “Sooyoung?”

 

Mama!”

 

She couldn't quite put her finger on it, but Haerin knew that something was wrong with her daughter. Sooyoung's voice was quivering and unsure, lacking the confidence she usually had.

 

I think I've made a mistake.”

 

What?” Haerin said.

 

It was wrong of me to date him.”

 

Changmin?”

 

Yes! He's so selfish! He's not romantic anymore. I don't see what's so special about him anymore.” Sooyoung grumbled out.

 

Sooyoung...”

 

No, Mama! I know you like him a lot but please, don't you dare take his side!” Sooyoung cried out.

 

Haerin raised an eyebrow at her daughter. “Why is he bothering you so much, Sooyoung?”

 

Changmin...he won't grow up!” She bristled, “Mama, he only cares about himself!”

 

 


 

 

Sooyoung was beginning to think she had moved in with a stranger.

 

It had nearly been a month since Changmin and she had decided to live together. They rented a place that overlooked Han River. It was expensive, but affordable since they were both now working.

 

Sooyoung was a successful accountant, while Changmin had been hired as a History lecturer at a local university.

 

Both of their jobs were tiresome. Whenever they'd get home, they'd fight over who would cook – which would, inevitably, cause them to order take-out again. In the end, they composed a roster for who was to cook that day.

 

When Sooyoung arrived home from work, the first thing she saw was that the shoes were pointing the wrong way. She bent down and corrected the position before taking off her own, lining them up next to Changmin's another pair of shoes. She walked barefooted into the hallway and then to the lounge.

 

She saw two heads sticking from above the couch.

 

Instantly, she recognised who was keeping Changmin company.

 

Donghae?” Sooyoung called out.

 

At her voice, Donghae turned around and gave a wide smile. “Sooyoung! How are you?”

 

Great. Just tired from work?” She replied. “And you?”

 

Can't you see? I'm gaming with Changmin and I'm pwning him!”

 

Sooyoung gave a weak smile, ambling in front of them so that she could see her boyfriend's face. He didn't even look at her. His face was scrunched up in concentration, eyes unblinkingly focused onto the PSP that he held with both of his hands.

 

Ya! Changmin,” Sooyoung leered at him. “I'm home. Did you cook?”

 

Changmin grunted and Sooyoung rolled her eyes.

 

Her stomach was aching. She was famished.

 

Sooyoung made her way to the kitchen and paled when she saw the dishes were all piled in a disorientated mess, overflowing the sink. It appeared that Donghae hadn't been the only guest that day.

 

However, because of the dishes, that meant that Changmin had cooked her dinner. Right? She willed herself to believe it. Changmin didn't lecture on Fridays. Fridays were his day off. He always had an early start to the weekend, which was why Sooyoung had designated him as their Friday chef.

 

Sooyoung opened the refrigerator to only stare in awe. The fridge was filled with beer bottles. She peaked behind him, only to find that there was no food at all. Changmin and his friends had drained the fridge of all their food and replaced it with beer bottles.

 

She tried to hold it in. She really did. However, she couldn't.

 

CHANGMIN!” She glowered at him.

 

That had finally caught her boyfriend's attention.

 

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING ALL DAY?” She screamed.

 

Donghae cowered into the couch, astonished by Sooyoung's sudden outburst. Sooyoung rarely showed anybody that she was angry, aside from her parents and Changmin, yet she was letting loose in front of Donghae.

 

I think I'll go now,” Donghae muttered, sheepishly.

 

No!” Sooyoung said. “You stay here. You tell me if Changmin was being a lazy and gaming all day when I clearly told him that it was his turn to cook dinner!”

 

Uh..eh,” Donghae glanced at Changmin who now was also glaring at him, attempting to shun him to silence. It didn't work. “Changmin was a lazy today.”

 

Traitor,” Changmin scolded.

 

Donghae took his cue to exit their apartment, briefly whispering goodbyes – not that they cared.

 

Could you not yell in front of my friend?” Changmin growled. “We were having a really good game until you had to ruin it.”

 

Sooyoung couldn't believe what she was Haerin. Was Changmin going to be stubborn and not apologise for making no progress at all that day? She had worked her off and coming back up to see him being lazy and not even bothering to cook them dinner made her feel exasperated.

 

Just say you're wrong and I won't be as mad!” Sooyoung exclaimed.

 

Changmin shrugged. “Let's just go out and eat.”

 

She hated when Changmin waved off things without a care in the world. Couldn't he saw how pissed off she was? Grabbing something to eat outside wasn't going to help anything. They had already had ate multiple of times out that week. Since they kept eating out, they were losing money.

 

Changmin...”

 

What?” Changmin barked back. “What's the big deal? You're overreacting again. Do you have your period?”

 

Oh, how she despised Changmin at that moment.

 

You know what?” Sooyoung bellowed.

 

Stop screaming! The neighbours will complain.”

 

I don't care!” Sooyoung glared. “I'm complaining right now! I'm leaving. It was bad idea to move in with you!”

 

Sooyoung,” Changmin paled. “You don't mean that.”

 

I do!” Sooyoung spoke. “Coming home to dirty dishes wasn't exactly what I had in mind, you know? If we even have kids, what are you going to teach them? How to be a lazy ?”

 

We're not having children any time soon!”

 

Stop trying to justify your actions and admit you're wrong. Say you're sorry, damn it!”

 

Why should I?” Changmin snapped back. “You're making a big deal out of nothing-”

 

Sooyoung didn't bother to listen to the rest of his sentence because her body acted by itself. She ran out of the apartment, tears blurring her vision, slamming the door behind her. She couldn't take it anymore.

 


 

 

"That's what happened,” Sooyoung ended the story, sighing from the other line of the phone.

 

Haerin balled her hands into fists, outraged. For the first time ever, Haerin disliked Changmin. 

 

 

 

 

 

(v) Mama, he's crazy!

 

 

What's this Changmin like?” Jooyhun asked her.

He's different, I guess,” Haerin responded. “If he was ordinary, I don't think he would have been able to catch our daughter's heart.”

Why does he only want to see me now?”

Maybe because you're scary,” Haerin said. “You've been indirectly threatening him ever since Sooyoung started dating him. Plus, you've never given him a chance. You would always leave the room whenever he'd visit us.”

Because he convinced Sooyoung to move in with him! He lured her!” Joohyun argued. “They're not even married! How could they move in together? What nerve that punk has...”

Times have changed, my dear.”

It's still wrong!” Of course, Haerin's husband still hadn't forgiven Changmin for stealing his daughter away from him.

When the bell rang, Haerin scurried to answer the door.

She beamed when she saw her daughter and Changmin. She gave them both a hug and whispered, “Your dad's not really in a good mood.”

Is he ever?” Sooyoung sighed. She linked her arm around Changmin's. “Don't get too scared. You can't run away now.”

Figures,” Changmin gave a lopsided smile.

The tension was thick. Haerin felt like she was going to suffocate on behalf of her daughter and Changmin when they sat on the opposite side of her.

Hello,” Changmin bowed his head. “I'm Shim Changmin.”

Mm,” Joohyun grunted.

Haerin kicked her husband under the table, indicating for him to greet the young couple properly. “I'm Sooyoung's father, Choi Joohyun.”

I know,” Changmin replied. “It's a pleasure to finally meet you, sir.”

Trying to break the awkwardness, Haerin poured them all some tea. She didn't know what they were going to announce, but she very well had an inkling.

Sooyoung was either getting married; or she was pregnant. Either way, Haerin was excited and barely able to disguise her joy. On the other hand, her husband was feeling the polar opposite.

Unable to contain her suspicions, Haerin finally spoke up. “What brings you here, Changmin? Is something the matter?”

Well, you see, the thing about Changmin is...” Sooyoung said. “Mama, he's crazy.”


 

 

She didn't know why Changmin had chosen for her to meet him there, but she went there anyway.

 

Sooyoung was back in her hometown, Gyeonggi. It was a peculiar request for Changmin to suddenly want her to go back to the place where they were both brought up. Changmin had mentioned it had to do with a restaurant he wanted to take her to. He was craving a particular dessert.

 

Changmin had given her an address. It turned out to be a house. She didn't understand why he was making her wait in front of the house when it wasn't a restaurant that they had planned to meet at. When she had texted Changmin to confirm the address, he said that she was at the right place.

 

Aish,” Sooyoung muttered to herself. “I don't have time for his games..”

 

A few moments later, she saw a figure approach her. It wasn't Changmin, but it was a person she did recognise.

 

Jonghyun!” Sooyoung called out. Jonghyun stared back at her, smiling. They hugged each other. “You're old now! How have you been?”

 

We're the same age,” Jonghyun pointed out. He gave a dimply smile. “I've been great. It's good to see you again. To think we'd meet in front of our old childcare. How ironic is that?”

 

Sooyoung didn't find it ironic at all. She could feel it in her bones; her boyfriend was plotting something.

 

Why are you here?” Sooyoung asked next.

 

She knew it wasn't a coincidence that Jonghyun, her childhood friend, had randomly walked into her. Sooyoung knew that Changmin had told Jonghyun exactly where she was.

 

Changmin told me to give this to you...”

 

Jonghyun dropped a piece of coloured paper into her hands. Sooyoung held the end of the rectangular sheet of paper. Her eyes widened when she realised what it was.

 

Monopoly money!

 

She studied it, turning the paper note onto the other side. That was when she saw an address scribbled in Changmin's cursive writing.

 

What?”

 

Just go there,” Jonghyun advised.

 

The address was an address that Sooyoung still knew off by heart. Most of her adolescent years were spent there, of course. After a few blocks, Sooyoung entered the Starbucks where Changmin used to torment her.

 

She was overwhelmed by the scent of coffee beans and memories. Sooyoung almost laughed out loud when she saw Yunho behind the counter. He had a smile plastered on his face. He looked ridiculous there. He was now a lawyer, so seeing him doing his old manager duty amused Sooyoung greatly.

 

He presented her with a strawberry frappaccino. “Changmin's gift.”

 

Sooyoung smiled, watching her first unrequited love leave the cafe. She didn't know what was happening, but she was willing to sit back and enjoy it. She was just going to let the cards fall where they may.

 

Music began to filter out of the speakers. She recalled it to be the jazz song that had played during their romantic Valentine's dinner on the boat. She felt touched as she sipped onto the strawberry frappaccino while listening to the song.

 

When Sooyoung heard the beginning to Lee Seung-Gi's 'Will You Marry Me?'; she began to bawl her eyes out. She knew what was happening. She had waited for this day for a long time.

 

However, what caught her off guard, was that it wasn't being sung by the original singer.

 

Changmin was singing to her.

 

Sooyoung couldn't see him, but she easily perceived Changmin's voice when she heard it. Changmin rarely sang, so Haerin him sing to her made her heart flutter. He always had a good voice. Changmin singing to her was beautiful.

 

As the song was about to end, Kyuhyun and Donghae entered the cafe. They stood over her, both offering her a hand.

 

Brightly beaming, Sooyoung accepted both of their hands and stood up from her seat.

 

They lead her through the staff room and outside of the cafe from the other entrance.

 

The three of them were now facing the park parallel to them. Crossing the road, they lead her to where Changmin was waiting for her.

 

Choi Sooyoung, will you marry me?”

 

He was kneeling on one knee, avoiding her eyes, and presenting her with a small navy box displaying a glistening diamond ring. Tears continued to run down her cheeks as she gazed down at Changmin in awe.

 

She couldn't respond. She didn't know what to do. She didn't believe it was happening. She-

 

BOOM! CRACK! BOOM! CRACK! BOOM!

 

The sounds of the fireworks and fireworks caused her to let out a shrill high-pitched scream. She latched onto Changmin, arms wrapping around his body as she attempted to calm herself down.

 

When the sounds stopped and the smoke turned stale, Sooyoung sent deathly withering glares at the boys present. Donghae, Kyuhyun, Jonghyun and Yunho looked sheepishly at her.

 

Thought I'd add fireworks to the mix in case you said now,” Changmin revealed.

 

It had been a colourful proposal. Sooyoung loved it all, until Changmin had to include the bloody fireworks. She began furiously hitting Changmin, causing Donghae to state, “This is why I'm not getting married. Relationships look scary.”

 

Changmin lowered his body down into a ball, to prevent Sooyoung from doing any real damage.

 

While Changmin was protecting himself, Sooyoung helped herself to the fallen box. She put the diamond ring on by herself.

 

But yes, Changmin.” She grinned. “I'll marry you.”

 

Really?”

 

Of course, you idiot.”

 

With a wide grin, Changmin ecstatically grabbed onto Sooyoung, and began to spin her around non-stop as their friends looked on.

 


 

 

“You're going to marry him?” Joohyun gasped out in aghast.

 

Haerin smiled, eying the diamond engagement ring that she had failed to see earlier. “I'm happy for you. When is the wedding?”

 

Changmin grinned. “Soon.”

 

Bringing Changmin into the family was going to be fun. After all, he had always been family to begin with. She had heard an earful about him from Sooyoung well enough...so for him to tie the knot was something Haerin had always wished for.

“Welcome,” Haerin said. “Son-in-law.”

“Papa, what do you think?”

While Haerin had accepted that her daughter was going to wed, she knew her husband was having a difficult time grasping onto the news.

“I thought you weren't going to marry him for a second,” Haerin taunted her. “You said he was crazy.”

“Despite him being crazy...I'm going to marry him, Mama.”

Those words were enough to knock out her husband. Haerin giggled when she watched Joohyun faint. Sooyoung rolled her eyes again while Changmin began to panic, trying to rouse him.

Now all Haerin needed was grandchildren...

 

 

beta`d by the lovely Sophia <3 Thanks darling. ;)

o8.12.13

(a/n) Finally! It's done :) This completes my entry to the The Game of Chance competition. I pretty much sat down all day to get this completed & out of my head. I wish the length of the story was shorter - this is a reason why I don't write one-shots. I tend to drag things out too much xD

Thanks for those who have subscribed despite the story not having been written yet. I will edit this properly later. ^^ Wish me luck for the competition! I hope you enjoyed this story. Hehe.