★ Old Regrets

The Way You Glance

The cold breeze at night around Luhan's grandfather's mansion felt very icy and alien to his pale skin. He looked up to the night sky and was amazed by the beauty of the twinkling stars. He was then reminded of Chorong and their first kiss. Junhao approached from the back and stood next to his only heir.

"Luhan," His fatherly voice shook a Luhan a little.

"Yes dad," he answered almost too softly.

"It's getting cold. You should get inside and sleep. We will have to stay energized for him to wake up. Let's not show him our tired side."

 Luhan nodded and gave his dad a tiny smile. "I know, dad," Luhan clamped his mouth awkwardly before shuffling inside.

 "Luhan!" Junhao called again, white mist emitted out and danced into disappearance in seconds. "I'm sorry, son."

 Luhan paused; eyes trained perfectly on the old man in early 50s who seemed like a stranger. A man that used to uphold of the policy of 'business before family' now was looking so fragile and humble in his eyes. It hit Luhan for a moment to realize how someone who mattered a lot to you could turn your life around in a blink of an eye.

"Dad," Luhan shouted from the doorway. "Grampa's a family. There's nothing to be sorry about. I'm just glad things are beginning to change in our family."

Junhao nodded, and Luhan noticed something he never knew before; the lines that formed around his gray eyes. Luhan finally knew; he, too, was probably going to undergo what his dad was now. And before he realized it, his eyes turned red.

⊙ω⊙

"Your voice sounds funny, Luhan," Xiumin said worriedly at the end of the line.

"It's just a cold, dude," he lied, and Luhan knew it was something he didn't have to do around Xiumin.

"How's your grampa doing?"

"Fine, I guess. Nothing's ever changed since he last passed out. He never woke up until today, dude. It's killing all of us, especially my dad. He didn't sleep. He told everyone to get some rest but he never got some for himself. My mom is in a bad condition too, mostly because she was worried about my dad."

"I think your dad is in a state of reflection. I didn't mean it offensively; I just think that he just feel sorry for everything."

"I know," Luhan swallowed hard. "He began to care for our family, and to be honest, I kinda like it. I'm just scared I will become like him one day. I don't want that. I don't want to feel regretful when I'm old."

"You'll do fine, dude," Xiumin said reassuringly. "You're a nice kid."

Luhan laughed shortly in his soft sobs. "Well, let's say that is true."

"Oh! I almost forgot, dude! Did you happen to tell Chorong about your flight to China? Because I think I saw her, but I'm not really sure. I mean, she was actually hiding herself. I wanted to say hi but she already left once you're on board, so yeah, weird. And did you know she cried? Did you- do anything to her?"

Luhan paused for a moment, leaving Xiumin's curious question hanging in the air. He his dry lips and wished Xiumin goodnight.

"Nothing,"Luhan said quickly. "You know what, I'm tired, but, I promise I will tell you everything tomorrow, okay? Good night, dude."

⊙ω⊙

Chorong sat gingerly at her desk, as she was studying Sociology for tomorrow's quiz. Some minutes later, a knock came upon her bedroom door and when she was about to get up to open the door, Sora, her stepmother, was already swinging the door open.

"Hey," Sora quietly said before taking a cowardly step inside. Lavendar fragrance filled her nose instantly, and this was what made her love Chorong; her daughter's passion for wild flowers. "I hope you don't mind."

Chorong sat back, awkward yet alarmed, and she ushered her mom to her empty bed. "I don't," she forced out.

"Were you studying?" Sora asked when she realized the stacks of notes scattered all over the desk.

Chorong nodded, a faint smile reached her lips. She played with the tip of her hair as she went on, asking, "What brings you here?"

"I-" Sora felt burned as she tried harder to disassemble tangling words that were stuck down there. "I just wanna apologize for everything that happened. I know I overreacted, but I just wish that you could understand that I just cannot give back what I took away from you. I will, always, be in a process of accepting all the bad things I caused."

 Chorong nodded reluctantly, and even when she felt like her tears will break out any moment, she knew she had remain calm to be able to make a rational decision. She swallowed back, carefully nodding at Sora’s hurtful confessions.

Sora made an eye contact with Chorong before quickly glanced away. She was scared of being shut out from Chorong’s life. "I just hope that, maybe, if I can protect you and your sister, you guys will never have to go through what I went through, ever."

"I know," Chorong managed carefully. "I just sometimes wish you would protect me out of love, not guilt."

"Sweetheart," Sora cried as she reached for her daughter's cold hands. "I never meant to make you feel that way. I love you, and I never regret the decision of being your mother."

Chorong eventually gave in to her tears and cried as well when she saw her mom wiping weakly at her own tears, and she squeezed the old fingers that had stayed up all night caressing her hair when she was having nightmares.

"Mom, I'm sorry I yelled at you," Chorong broke out, tears spilling down both of her cheeks. "And I'm sorry for blaming you about everything. I never wanted you to feel bad.  I just wished I had your love like how Hayoung did."

 Sora wiped the tears that wetted Chorong's rosy cheeks and pulled her small face close to plant a warm kiss on her forehead.

"I'm sorry, Chorong. I'm sorry for everything."

Chorong tightened the wrap around the familiar scent she knew eversince she first saw her linking arms with her dad, and maybe, deep down, she felt glad to finally have a chance to have a new start with a new mother.

⊙ω⊙

Junhao woke up suddenly, sitting bolt straight in a chair close to his father's bed in the middle of the night. Sweat had drenched his white t-shirt and all that he could hear that night besides his father's troubled breathing was the sound of his own palpitating heart. The nightmare was tremendously painful and surreal, but Junhao felt like the dream was more like an imminent future. It was bad, but it was never doubtful. In his dream, he saw Luhan getting caught in the air by giant red claws that through Luhan's flesh. Blood was dripping all over himself but Junhao found it quizzical to see no expression of excruciation or whatsoever carved onto Luhan's face. It was as though Luhan would leave him, and no matter how awful the reason would be, Junhao was actually scared by the fact that Luhan never thought of struggling against leaving.

He knew he had to do something. All of his years he had dedicated them into business and wealth, but now he will make a decision that will finally concern his family. He was determined not to raise Luhan to be exactly like him, a man of greed and power, instead of how his sick father had always wanted him to be, a man of family and love.

⊙ω⊙

Another day in China has passed, and along that, another moment of unconsciousness was witnessed by entire Junhao's pack. Luhan stood firmly at the end of the bed, gaze faing tiredly on the fragile state of his grampa and his mind began to wander when aas the last time he saw him breathing and alive?

Oh! It was when he first came to Korea- about 20 years ago?

Junhao placed hand onto Luhan's shoulder and gave it a firm grip. He whispered something into Luhan's ears and asked him to come along. Luhan turned to his dad slightly and nodded.

The cafeteria was not packed with people- it was Monday and usualy visitors are rarely seen during working nights. Junhao and Luhan however still chose to settle at the end corner of the quiet cafteria. They both ordered black coffee- fuel to recharge the draining energy.

"How are you doing, son?"

Luhan raised his eyes to meet his dads' bloodshot eyes and a feeling of sympathy struck him dearly. "What about you? How are you doing, dad?"

Junhao smirked; fingers lazily stirred the black coffee. "I try not to break down here and then so much."

"Grampa's gonna be fine, dad."

Junhao nodded as if the comfort touched his heart. They both knew that it was not true. The only reasonable comfort they could believe in now was to be prepared for any bad news coming.

"I have been thinking about a lot of things these past few days, Luhan. Tomorrow is our last day in China, and I thought if I actually go back to Korea now, I might never be able to sleep at night anymore."

"What are you talking about, dad?”

"Luhan, son," Junhao started as if the news he was about to break sounded very logical in this kind of time. "Let's never return to Korea. Let's leave everything in Korea, and just- live back here."

"What are you saying, dad?" Lines formed perfectly on Luhan's forehead as he stared deep into his dad's eyes. "Are you saying that we-"

"We should've never left China, son," Junhao said briskly. "We belong here."

Hello people!

So I have decided to be a nice little author to all my beloved readers who have been passionately keeping up with TWYG by giving a /somehow/ early update /throws confettis and balloons/

I have been musing over how should I include some of your ideas of trying to prolong the story, and to be honest, I’m not sure if I can do that.

But I love you guys and I wouldn’t want to break your hearteus, so maybe, I will write a one-shot as a sequel(?)

Which kinda means- sorry y’all, the story will end as I have originally planned ;AA; /blame my student life, people/

So, err, no hard feelings? :>

Anyhow, I’m beginning to like it here in my university and thank god for all the awesome + nice + loving professors I got <3 

And omg, your support was immensely helpful to help me get through my first bad day here <333

Till our next update! :-*