|| Two ||

When Night And Day Become One Bonus Chapters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: This chapter is in Lu Han's POV.

 

A picture of my smiling wife caught my attention.

"Hey, little boy, where did you get that?" I sank on the sofa beside him.

"Where is this taken?" he asked, his tiny hands handing me the picture.

I couldn't help smiling at the image. It meant so much then. It means so much now.

"In my hometown. In our hometown." I caressed my wife's face in the image.

Seeing my smile, the little boy's eyes shone with wonder. "Did you always think you were going to end up with her?"

"Hmmm." I picked him up and settled him on my lap. "No. In fact, the thought of giving her up had occurred to me more than once."

He gasped exaggeratedly, and I chuckled.

"She had never been quick when it came to realizing feelings, whether it be hers or others. But I couldn't say I blame her for being oblivious to mine. It was probably my fault since during the earlier part of our childhood, what I had cemented in her mind weren't the best of impressions."

The little boy snickered in my arms. "You were naughty."

I laughed. "I was." And for growing teenagers, you end up taking what you see, and in her eyes, I was always the enemy.

"It eventually became better though, her perception of me. It took her a while to get there, but I could feel that she was starting to cherish me like a friend. It was a start. But when she fell in love with someone else, it was a different story."

The little boy reached up a hand to my face. "Did it hurt?"

I shut my eyes as I remembered it. "Like someone drove a sword to your chest and it got stuck there. Her laugh, her smile, they weren't meant for me. And she was so proud of her feelings. Sometimes it was too much that I considered running away. And at one time, I did."

I looked at the little boy for his reactions but he was just motioning for me to go on.

"I wanted to forget her, but I knew it was impossible. If not forget, then at least I wanted to feel indifferent to her when I get back. It took me a whole summer away to condition my mind that way."

The little boy nudged me. "Well, then? Did you succeed?"

I laughed at his excitement. "No, little one." I handed him back the picture. "And it was because of this."

During the end of the summer that I went away, our friend Hannah emailed me this picture. It had no note, just this picture, but I knew what she wanted to say. It was the picture Hannah had taken when Jiyeon and I were dancing at the beach. Jiyeon's smile was blinding and my face was as red as a tomato.

"I knew then. That whatever it was, nothing would ever stop me from seeing her smile like this." I smiled at the little boy.

"So you returned and she continued to date her boyfriend in front of you?"

The little boy sounded bitter, and I laughed as I nodded.

"She's mean," he said as he crossed his arms grumpily.

I lifted him up and as he stood on my lap, I grinned at him.

"She is, and I love her."

The little boy scrunched his nose, and then as if remembering something, he asked, "How did you get together then?"

"Ah," I paused and pretended to think about it.

I didn't have to though. It was my favorite memory.

 

When I woke up after the accident, she was the first person I saw. She was hunched over my bed, sleeping as she held my hand.

Tears filled my eyes as I remembered the last thought I had before the car hit me. That maybe I couldn't see her anymore. As I took in her sleeping figure, I thanked God for giving me this moment.

Yeon, I wanted to say but my mouth wouldn't open. Of all the things I wanted to do, it was to say her name that I wanted to do most.

Yeon. Park Jiyeon. My Yeonie.

I was so glad to see her.

It took a while for her to stir awake, and I happily watched over her as I slowly regained some of my strength.

When she did open her eyes, I could see that she had been crying. I wanted to reach up and wipe those tears away but all I could do was squeeze her hand.

And that was when her eyes widened, and she sat up straight

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter