1/1

To fill the void

 

 
 
Kyungsoo, stands idly at the bus stop; Baekhyun next to her.
 
Both of them aren't speaking or laughing like they usually would, because something's got their tongue and something's caught their eye. 
 
Now, if Kyungsoo said she wasn't jealous. That would be a complete lie. Baekhyun's probably feeling the same way too, her eyes won't leave Yifan.
 
Just like hers won't leave Jongin's.
 
10 years. 10 years of, "Noona, can I see your homework?" And family parties bumping into each other there, field trips, school tests, messy ice creams, football games and so much more. 
 
Like holding hands.
 
Then 2 more years of sudden awkwardness and short 'hi's' and a wave of a hand.
 
It's partially the school's fault, because he did go to an all boys school and she went to an all girls.
 
But how come she sees him hugging those girls he's only known for 2 years and here she stands, the girl he's known for 12 years and all he does is smile, wave and a short 'hi'.
 
She replies, hands clenching around her bag.
 
She can hear Baekhyun's sort of whimper, hi and that's because Yifan's standing next to her.
 
She's not jealous of those girls, no. She doesn't hate them, they don't hate her. They want to hang out with her and sit with her at lunch, she shouldn't hate them.
 
But, after all those years of friendship, all you say is hi when you've known those girls for two years and you still hug them. Maybe you have this great bond but if you have that great bond, you must've had time to meet them after school and make plans with them and--why couldn't you do that with me?
 
Sehun, has the common curtesy,
 
"Hi Kyungsoo noona, hi Baek noona, how have you been?"
 
Jongin and Yifan's heads shoot up at the same time,
 
"Um, we've--"
 
"Bye, Jongin oppa! Bye Kris! Bye Sehunnie!"
 
Ouch, that must've hurt huh unni?
Kyungsoo looks at Baekhyun and the girl is looking on the floor.
 
Yifan only let Baekhyun call him Kris.
 
"Bye Kyungsoo, bye Baekhyun unni, maybe if you're free tomorrow you can come with?"
 
They both nod, but that means no.
 
"So how are you guys?" Jongin speaks up and Kyungsoo's surprised.
 
"We're good." I still have that photo of us when we were kids, do you? Happy belated birthday, merry Christmas, how's monggu? I'm in choir now. Are we still friends? 
 
"Cool," That photo of us as kids ripped the other day because monggu found it under my pillow, he's still playful, did you join choir like I told you to? I'm on the dance team now, happy birthday, I saw a plushie that reminded me of you when I went Christmas shopping, it was Pororo, remember when we watched that? You look pretty today Soo.
 
The bus comes and there's no doubt that they're all getting on it.
They all live in the same area for that bus to take them home.
 
There's an awkward 'bye' as the three boys walk up the bus stairs and her and Baekhyun stay downstairs.
 
"It hurts." Is all Baekhyun says. Yes it does hurt. 
 
What went wrong?
 
But things stop hurting right? Like how she meets Chanyeol in senior year and Baekhyun meets Zitao.
 
No, things bruise. And Chanyeol and Zitao are just plasters.
 
And it still hurts, because there's such this big gap between them and she doesn't know what went wrong.
 
She should move on now, Chanyeol's a nice guy. 
 
But if she's decided to move on, why does it still hurt when Jongin, walks by and how come he still says short 'hi's'.
 
Kyungsoo sighs, she's been over thinking, she closes her eyes and leans into Chanyeol's embrace, but in her dreams, Chanyeol's not the one who's holding her.