B01C05 - Tao: A Caress of Memories

Tao: A Caress of Memories

Chapter 5

The hallway was empty when Tao stepped out of his room half an hour later. There were usually house members walking out and about even though this was the reserved housing wing. It was almost unnaturally quiet until he saw another hunter hurrying past him. He reached out and held the other one back. 

"Mira, wait," Tao hissed through the pain shooting up his hand. He forgot about the haphazardly placed bandage on it, and knew he needed to have it checked at the medical bay.

"Yes, sir?" The other hunter had a confused look on her face.

"Where's everyone?" asked Tao.

"Leader had sent out a communiqué for everyone to gather at the great hall," Mira replied. "I just came in from a mission and was just about to go there."

Tao merely nodded and watched her go. He must have missed the announcement while he was in the bath and taking care of his wound. He would have to wait until later to get to the hospital bay anyway since if Suho said everyone should be present, everyone is. If their House Leader could be described as simply as possible, he was firm when it came to being a leader. Suho commanded respect and did not have to demand it from his followers. 

While its use was only for emergency situations, Tao headed off to the mission bay chute just a few doors down the hallway. It was a shortcut designed for the hunters who lived on this wing of the mansion so that they could easily get to the mission dispatch bay. The bay had a direct connection to the great hall, which would cut the time to get there in half instead of walking through the many hallways of the large mansion. 

"Tsk! Tsk!" Tao heard someone just off to the left of the door to the great hall that he walked out of less than five minutes later. The hunter turned around to see who it was.

"Got a problem, Kyungsoo?" Tao addressed the third member of their elite team, who was suspiciously absent from their meeting the other day, and judging from the slightly crumpled clothes the other man was wearing, the said elite hunter was also out the whole night.

"We're on official business, Zitao," the other man crossed his eyebrows at Tao. "That's Codename: D.O. for you. It's still early in the day and already you have two violations."

Tao merely raised an eyebrow in reply, as he moved to stand next to the other man.

"You're late," D.O raised one finger, and then another. "And you used the mission bay chute again."

Tao looked towards the raised platform and saw that Suho was just coming up to the podium, which meant that the initial address of their leader's secretary was already finished.

"Junmyeon was looking this way just moments before you came in," D.O. added.

"Yeah, right," Tao scoffed. "I saw you exit the mission dispatch bay just as I got out of the chute, Kyungsoo. You don't get to scare me, not unless I tell mama that you've been out all night. But then again, I may not have to since I'm sure he's already seen your crumpled clothes and that almost inconspicuous stain on the inseam of your pants. And-"

"Would you two keep quiet already?" Chanyeol's voice suddenly came from in front of the two hunters and Tao noticed their giant of a mission control with his back to them.

"Good morning, Taozi!" Luhan, who was beside Chanyeol, waved at Tao and quickly turned back to watch their leader speak.

D.O. snickered and Tao snapped at the other man, "What?"

"I still do not understand why our leader would still allow you to call him mama," D.O. looked at him pointedly. "You're hardly a child, even though you still act like one."

Tao just rolled his eyes and kept quiet. Kyungsoo would not understand the relationship between Zitao and his mama, Junmyeon. During Tao's days as a trainee, Suho was their training master. He had experienced up close how their charismatic leader inspired and molded his trainees to become the hunters that they were today. Suho was firm in his instructions, gracious in pointing out their mistakes, but was unhesitating when they needed to be punished. Tao imagined that was how his real mother would have been if he had not left for the Temple at such an early age.

Yet, it was not Tao who initiated that he call Junmyeon his mama. In the early months of his training, Tao's obviously superior martial art skills and his inability for proper social interaction made him the brunt of his fellow trainees’ taunts and sneers. The training grounds and quarters were a few kilometers away from the large mansion but was still part of the large estate. One afternoon, Tao became overwhelmed, missing his old masters and friends back at the temple, forced to being a loner, and being taunted by his peers. He decided to just skip training altogether and was contemplating on leaving just like what a few of the other trainees had done.

Just weeks before, Tao had found a sanctuary in a small grove of trees that no one else seemed to know about. That afternoon, he couldn't hold back his tears anymore. While he was trained back at the Temple how to properly let go of any negative emotions, Tao just wanted to cry. He set down in the middle of the grove and wrapped his arms around his knees. Tao just curled his head down and cried. He did not know that someone else had heard his sobs until he heard somebody sit beside him.

"You seem to have found my crying place too, huh?” Tao heard the person speak. “I also feel that crying helps to just let everything out from your heart and mind,"

The young trainee looked up and panicked when he realized who it was. He started to scramble and get up, when Suho stopped him and told him to sit back down.

"I'm so sorry, Training Master Suho." Tao faced the elder and bowed his head down. "I should not have skipped the class."

For the first time, Tao heard the older one laughed. "It's good you skipped it or else you would be with them cleaning up the whole grounds."

"Oh no!" Tao gasped. "I should help. I-I did not know we would be doing that today."

"Calm down, Taozi," Suho patted the other one's knees. "That's what everyone back at the Temple called you, right?"

"Y-yes," Tao wiped away a tear. "’Tou tao bao li’ was Master Xiao's favorite idiom and that I reminded him of a peach."

"Come on." Suho suddenly opened his arms in invitation. "I've noticed you haven't been relating well to your fellow trainees. Starting today, I'll be your Mama Junmyeon when we're not training, okay? And Mama says you need to start opening yourself up and give others a chance to also get to know you. Here, I have a stiff shoulder just perfect for you to cry on."

Before Tao could react, Suho wrapped his arms around him. Not long after, Tao began to cry again but this time with the thought that he wouldn't be alone again. For almost half an hour, Suho let his new son cry and he didn't have to ask Tao to stop. The younger man had cried everything out and was already starting to feel better.

"Let's go back, Taozi," Suho told him as they both got back on their feet. "There's still an hour left for training and you still need to help out your fellows to clean the grounds."

Tao happily agreed, not knowing that Suho had already given a speech to all the other trainees about the importance of unity and teamwork, the scolding hidden behind his calm but firm demeanor.

"So that's the guy, huh?" D.O.'s query snapped Tao out of his reminiscing.

"What guy?" Tao asked back.

D.O. pointed to the platform with his lips in reply. Tao turned and noticed that there was another man standing beside his mama. When he finally realized who it was, Tao was awestruck. It was not the same Sehun who came into his room just earlier this morning. The man somehow suddenly had much shorter hair, although the streaks of rainbow were still there. Sehun was also decked out in the formal uniform of a hunter from the High House of Aku. Tao wondered where the other man got one that seemed perfectly tailored for him, and damn if the sight of Sehun did not make his blood boil in desire.

"He's hot," D.O. commented. "I wouldn't mind a taste of that myself."

Tao did not realize that he was already growling loudly until he heard D.O snort in laughter causing some of the people in front of them to look back at give them intense glares. The two elite hunters calmed down a bit.

Moments later and D.O. poked Tao's ribs with an elbow. "Might I guess that your wolfish snarling meant that you've already laid claim, huh?"

"What are you talking about, stupid?" Tao snapped at the other man, but refused to look at D.O., fearing his eyes would betray the jealousy inside him.

"All right, all right," D.O. raised his hands in surrender. "I'll back off from lover boy there. You can have him for yourself, unless the others get to him first. The rumors could not even halfway describe that beauty."

"Shut up, Kyungsoo," said Tao. "I'm trying to hear what mama is trying to say."

The other hunter piped down just in time for them to hear their leader to say, "Oh Sehun is from our brother house, New Chosun. He has been sent here for an immersion tour of duty so that he may learn from us and that we may too learn of their ways for the improvement of both of our houses."

Sehun moved towards the microphone and spoke, "I am not exactly used to speaking much in public, but I am looking forward to working with everyone here in the High House of Aku. Please treat me well." Sehun ended his short statement with a deep bow.

Soon after, everyone in the great hall were clapping to welcome their new brother, or whatever Suho might have said. Chanyeol and Tao knew better though but still gave their applause. D.O. on the other hand was being rowdy and had two fingers in his mouth letting out loud whistles.

"Nice save there, leader! Don’t you think so, Tao?" D.O. turned to the younger elite, who stared at him in wide-eyed shock.

"How did you-?" Tao began but the other just cut him off.

"I have my sources," D.O. answered as a matter of fact. "Besides, don't you remember that the New Chosun project was my brainchild? We need more presence outside of our immediate region and the best direction would be to have an affiliate house that we control ourselves."

Tao realized why the name sounded so familiar. The High House needed to expand without causing suspicion among the other houses, and the New Chosun house was born. The whole project was kept in pure silence for some months now and, indirectly, their leader, Suho, had just publicly acknowledged its presence. It was not long until everyone started going back to their normal routines after their leader wrapped up the gathering.

"Of course, leader would not be the leader that he is if he knew he could not benefit one way or another from this Sehun's sudden appearance," D.O. laughed. "Your mama still never fails to amaze me, Taozi."

"Don't call me that," answered Tao.

"Touchy much?" said D.O. "Well, if you will excuse me, I have other things to do. I bid you all-"

"You are not going anywhere, Kyungsoo," Chanyeol addressed the other hunter, and held on fast to D.O's arm before the other man could escape. "Leader has already called a meeting after this."

"What's it about, Yeollie?" Luhan inquired, as he did not yet want to go back to the R&D bay. "Can I come?"

"I'm sorry, Lu," Chanyeol looked at the other man softly. "It's a private meeting and you'll just get bored anyway."

"But Leader sometimes allows me to sit in your meetings, Yeollie," Luhan pouted. "He says I'm a big help."

"It's... different this time, Lu," answered Chanyeol, still holding on to D.O while the smaller hunter struggled to free himself. "You are not going anywhere, Kyungsoo!"

"Th-that Sehun guy will be there, wouldn't he?" Luhan couldn't stop the welling tears in his eyes.

"Yeah," Chanyeol had to tell the hard truth. "Look, I'm really sorry, Lulu. The meeting is only for the higher-ups/. We need to go."

Chanyeol, along with the two elite hunters, quickly made their out towards the exit nearest to Suho's quarters. Tao could feel his closest friend being left out and he knew Chanyeol did not mean to pull rank, but Luhan could really be persistent if he wanted to. 

 

As the three of them made their way to Suho's private study, Tao saw Sehun walking some distance ahead of them being escorted by Suho's secretary. Even though he still didn't know what to say to the other guy, Tao knew there might not be any other chances to talk to the other guy privately.

"You guys go ahead, I... uh... need to speak to Sehun in private," Tao said to the others.

"Ooh," D.O drawled out. "Taozi's going to confess. This I have to see."

Tao glared at the other man but before he could say anything more, Chanyeol was already dragging him ahead.

"Chanyeol, you're a prick," D.O. declared out loud, his voice resounding through the hallway, as he tried his best to keep in step with the giant.

"Well, you're an ," Chanyeol answered, not even bothering to look back at the shorter hunter. "That makes us even."

The two's antics continued as they went down the hallway, but it caused Sehun and his companion to stop in their tracks, allowing Tao to catch up.

"Good morning, Michael, Sehun," Tao greeted the other two with a nod.

"Good morning to you too, sir," Suho's secretary greeted back, while the other one just took one glance at Tao and looked the other way.

"Where's mama?" Tao continued, trying hard not to show his annoyance at Sehun's ignoring him.

"Oh, Leader is just doing some rounds for today's mission dispatches," the secretary, Michael, answered. "He will be at the meeting as soon as he can."

"Oh, no. I was hoping to speak with him before the meeting," Tao tried to sound as dejected as possible.

It was a lie, of course, but he knew the secretary's tendencies. While Tao may have been socially awkward before, he has already mastered the art of charming a person ever since he had become an elite hunter.

Tao continued to speak in a worried voice, "I might just have to go over it with our guest here, since it involves him anyway. Do you think you can tell mama that Sehun and I will be a bit late? I promise not to be too long. Please?"

"What the heck?" Sehun muttered aloud, but Tao ignored him.

"Ohh... I..." the secretary grew flustered, as Tao gave him just the right amount of a pouting lower lip to keep his thoughts unbalanced. "Okay... Don't worry. I-It's not a problem. I-I'm sure Leader w-would understand. I-I'll go ahead then, sir."

Before the secretary could move one step away, Tao grabbed one of the other man's hand in both of his. "Thank you so much, Michael."

The secretary let out a giggle, before clapping a hand to his mouth to stop himself, an undeniable blush creeping up the man's cheeks. "I-I need to go, sir."

Tao watched as Suho's secretary rushed away. A few moments later and only he and Sehun were left in the hallway. Fortunately, Tao knew that no one really uses this hallway once the work day has begun. With Suho still doing rounds, Tao mentally calculated that he might just have enough time for the two of them to talk.

"Sehun-" Tao began, but immediately stopped when he saw the flaming anger in the other's eyes.

"Well, aren't you the charmer?" Sehun snapped at him.

"Wait, what?" Tao was taken by surprise at the venom in Sehun's voice, but then the other man just crossed his arms in front of him and looked away from Tao.

"So, you're back to ignoring me again?" said Tao. "Is this how the two of us will be from now on? Just ignoring each other whenever we see each other? Because trust me, Sehun, we are going to see each other for a lot of times from now on. Suho may not completely believe you, yet, but he is not one to back away from something that would be for the good of this House."

"It is not just for the good of this House," Sehun finally spoke, but still refusing to look the other man in the eye. "This is the whole world we are talking about. The Tree of Life must be revived before this planet could be healed completely, and it will only be by the power of the Twelve."

"Then let me help you to convince him, including Chanyeol and D.O too, I think," Tao pleaded. "But before that I really think we need to talk about what happened this morning."

"What's there to talk about?" Sehun finally turned his head to look at the other man. "We kissed. You hated it and sent me away. I know when I'm not wanted, Tao-hyung. I'll back off. You don't have to worry about me stalking you."

"Are you really this stubborn?" Tao sighed. "Look, I have to admit I did... I mean I do feel some attraction towards you, but I'm just not ready for anything of that sort right now.  You have to know that my whole world was turned upside-down ever since I stepped foot in that valley yesterday. Everything has just been so overwhelming: the Tree of Life, my memories of a past life, this whole guardian thing, that belt that you say is mine."

"It is yours," Sehun interrupted him, dropping his hands to the side. "That belt will always be yours, in your past life, in your present life and in your future."

"I think I know that now," said Tao, looking straight at Sehun's eyes. "But I need help, Sehun. Out of the very few people who knows about this guardian thing, only you can help us, can help me. I... I don't even know what that belt is for."

"The belt is the conduit of the power within you," Sehun answered. "You have power over time."

Tao could not even be shocked anymore. The memories in him stirred, allowing him to feel that what Sehun was true. Taking the other man's hands in his, silently grateful that Sehun didn't resist, Tao said, "Then I need you to help me learn again of my powers."

Sehun could merely nod in reply.

"Do you see what I mean now when I sent you away this morning from my room?" Tao raised their hands and placed them together in front of his chest. "You're going to have to help us, those who the gems say are the guardians, to learn of our past selves again. I- I cannot complicate things by being attracted to you, because I already feel as if I've know you forever, Sehun."

"That's because you do," Sehun whispered the words so softly that Tao could barely hear them.

"I'm sorry, what?" Tao asked.

"I- I understand, Tao," Sehun changed the subject immediately. "I apologize for being too forward. I'm usually much more composed than that.  I didn't mean for us to be this awkward with each other."

"No, I should be the one to apologize," Tao answered back. "I was too harsh on you. I’m really sorry, Sehun."

The other man chuckled. "Are we just going to be apologizing to each other all day? Suho is expecting us for a meeting, you know."

Tao finally gave a genuine smile at the other man. "Do you know how much you brighten up a room when you laugh? Uh, I mean.. Uhm... Are we okay now?"

"Yeah, we're okay," Sehun bit his lip to stifle another laugh.

"You know what?" Tao suddenly pulled the other man close and gave him a soft peck on his lips. Leaning back, Tao continued, " it! I'm really attracted to you and you say that you are also attracted to me. I know I still have a lot to learn again about my past life and being a guardian, but will you agree that we keep things slow between us? And by slow, I mean really getting to know each other well."

Sehun was still in a daze after the sudden kiss that Tao give him. He could only give a silent nod in reply.

"Damn," Tao muttered. "I better put that into memory that all it takes to shut you up is a kiss."

Sehun moved his lips but no words would just come out of it, causing Tao to chuckle and give the other man another longer kiss.

When Tao pulled back, he finally let go of the other's hands and said, "I have to tell you though that I can be very possessive. I value exclusivity when it comes to relationships."

Sehun scoffed, somehow getting his voice back again. "Yeah right! Says the one who was flirting with the leader's secretary just minutes ago."

One side of Tao's mouth curled upward. "But I had to turn on the patented Taozi charm, or else Michael wouldn't leave us alone."

Seeing as they were just close in height anyway, Sehun grabbed Tao's collar to pull the other man close. "Well I can be just as possessive, and that patented Taozi charm would have to be put away only for my personal use."

Tao chuckled. "But I need that when I'm on the job."

Sehun raised an eyebrow. "Since I am the official envoy of the House of New Chosun, I'm just going to have to stick by your side when you're on the job then."

"Feisty," Tao stuck his tongue out for a bit to wet his lips. "I like it."

"There's more to me than just a pretty face, Taozi-hyung," answered the younger one. "Trust me when I say you don't want to see me unleash a tornado just for you."

Tao could only give the other man another smirk and started to lead the two of them down the hallway and towards their leader's quarters. "Speaking of powers, how did you manage to change your hair so fast?"

Sehun twirled his pinky around the other man's. "This my Gift from out of the Twelve, glamour. I can mask my real self by changing my outward appearance and scent, or even how strong or soft my presence is towards other people."

"Interesting," Tao looked at the other man. "So you can copy other people?"

"That's impossible, stupid," Sehun poked Tao with his other hand. "I cannot change my real face, but just change how other people look at me."

"Bah, that's a useless gift then," the hunter declared.

"You think so?" Sehun taunted. "I seem to recall a certain hunter whose eyes grew wide when he saw my long, beautiful hair for the first time."

"Nope," Tao lied. "I don't know who that hunter is. Maybe he's stupid."

"That I agree," Sehun's soft laugh resounded through the hallway as the two continued on their way. “Don’t think I wouldn’t ask what happened to that hand though?”

“It’s another story. Would you mind if we take a detour to the medical bay for a bit?”