Passion and the Opera

Passion and the Opera

People often tell folk tales about the shape-shifting nine-tailed foxes and wolves, recounting it mostly as myth than truth.

 

The wolves are usually male; young men whose future and humanity is ripped from them at the tender age of 25 to become mythical creatures who live on for what could be considered eternity protecting humanity from supernatural terrors that threaten it. No, they do not turn by the light or sight of the full moon, but at will and when necessary. Larger than the usual wolves, faster than their sizes permits, stronger than any living man and possess a flaring temper that nobody would want to be on the end of. Wolves are creatures driven by instinct and impulse, but remain fiercely loyal to family and are driven by lineage and family honor.

 

The foxes however could be either male or female, the curse not favoring either gender from its trap. Different lines allow for different appearance, some able to age to the ripe old age of 100 before they stop while others remain statically at age 25 in appearance, their gift never permitting them death unless it’s by another’s hand. They are smaller in size than the shape-shifting wolves, but still profoundly larger than their natural animal counterparts. They possess an alluring appearance in human form that appeals to the human eye in some shape or form, which translates to their fox forms. Coats vary from a fiery red or browning red when they are younger, or newly turned if you will, to a startling pure white as they age and grow their rumored tails, before settling for a dazzling coat of gold when they have grown all their nine tails. They are rather strong and deadly fast, but usually depend on their power of illusion, allure and trickery to eliminate their foe rather than counting on brute strength. It’s this magic or ability that contributes to their sly and seductive nature.

 

Even though they share the common goal of protecting humanity from supernatural threats with the wolves, they are fundamentally different when it comes to ideals. Loyalty lies only with close family and will turn on those they protect or their own kind should they feel wronged. They are also calculating and never do anything out of turn, often driven by goals and necessity than instinct.

 

So, as you can imagine, their contrasting nature could only result in them being mortal enemies despite their common ends, a feud lasting millennia and as old as their very existence in the world.

 

Wolves despised foxes and the feelings were mutual. Foxes found wolves disgustingly loyal to beings who would soon as turn on them should their nature become known to them, while wolves were repulsed by the foxes selfishness and thirst for vengeance that would have them turn on those they were created to protect at the drop of a hat or even themselves.

 

As with all unaddressed bad blood and mistrust, their disdain for each other lead to a fierce war between them resulting in years of bloodshed and death on both sides. The only thing forcing an end to the war and drawing of a tentative truce between the two was a crossover of a deadly supernatural beast from its realm known as the Colossus Titan, which threatened to wipe all life from the earth leaving it barren for his own to inhabit. The two foes came together as their reduced number didn’t offer any other solution than forced cooperation between the two if they had any hope of defeating him.

 

The truce held even after the beast’s defeat, leading to a much more solid treaty between the two that would result in permanent dissolution of the war. The wolf king, Jung and the fox king, Choi both promised to uphold the agreement so long as each faction kept true to their word.

 

But no treaty could ever foster trust in each other, or evoke any friendly feelings between them. The hatred was much too deep and stood strong even decades into the future as humanity evolved and the forests turned into thriving cities. Supernatural threats dwindled into nothing and many wolf and fox lines diminished along with them due to lack of activation stimuli of the genes that facilitated the change, leaving only a few families as active Shifters along with the Choi and Jung houses at the helm, feud intact.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

It was her nature to be noticed and call attention to herself, so it was understandable that most of the men in the room snuck a glance in her direction. It was understandable for them, but not for him. Wolves weren’t supposed to succumb to a Fox’s charms, magic or tricks, yet he found himself stealing his own glances at her even getting caught in the act. Never had it happened to him before, yet his eyes tracked her every movement. He watched the rise of her smile that was innocent, only to turn devilish and sinful when she caught his eye, well aware of his attention. He listened to the tinkering sound of her laughter, when he should have been tuned in to the conversation around him. He even observed the graceful way she sipped her champagne and sashayed from one group to the next.

 

The attention wasn’t something she wasn’t used to as it came hand in hand with the supernatural allure of her kind, but it was certainly new to catch the attention of Wolf. Ordinarily, it would be glares and snarls directed her way, but the glances he was stealing were curious before he caught himself and averted his gaze. At first she’d dismissed it as a Wolf’s common distrust of her, but it became clear that it was nothing of the sort when he watched her lips pull into a smile, perked up whenever she laughed or followed her movements as she moved from one conversation to the next. Odd indeed since, Wolves were supposed to be immune to her charms. It however had her intrigued to see if it was true, moving closer toward his group. He stopped pretending to not notice her and fully locked eyes with her in a battle of wills.

 

The closer she got to his group, the faster subtly flew out of window. He couldn’t take his eyes off hers, which bore into his just as intently. A human wouldn’t have been able to look him in the eyes for too long before self-preservation and his magic compelled them to look away. Of course being a fox, her reaction was different as she stared on, even raising an eyebrow in challenge daring him to do something –what that was he didn’t know. Shaking his head he forced himself to ignore her altogether, tearing his gaze from hers returning to the conversation at hand, even if he barely comprehended what was being said mostly because his mind was still unsettled at the interest he’d given her.

 

He’d resolved to ignore her, even though he wasn’t all that successful in his attempt since she felt his gaze on her back as she left the garden party to re-enter the house. Only pausing to playfully give him a hooded gaze over her shoulder with a teasing smirk tugging at her lips, before continuing on with cat like grace. It would be very interesting if he did actually follow.

 

Despite himself, his eyes followed the Fox’s receding back intently enough to catch the intentional gaze directed at him as a dare, not to mention the smug smirk that tugged at her lips. He shouldn’t have given her the satisfaction by following her like she was provoking him to do, like a human trapped in her deceitful allure, but he found himself excusing himself from the conversation to follow once she disappeared in the house. His strides unhurried.

 

She’d doubted her methods of coaxing him to pursue when he didn’t follow immediately. Perhaps he was being prideful, she wondered, leaning against a wall at the end of the corridor giving him an opportunity to follow. It would be rather disappointing if the only entertainment of the night would end so easily, but her efforts were rewarded when she heard the distinct, soft foot fall make their way into the house. Her eyes rose just in time to find his looking directly at her, narrowed in obvious annoyance. Holding his gaze for a delicious long moment just to add to her game, she pushed off the wall biting her lip before disappearing round the corner now sure that he would follow.

 

He felt partially stupid and disgusted that he fell for her game as he entered the house, half hoping she’d really disappeared to quail his idiotic notions of playing into a Gumiho’s tricks. But, he smelled the distinct perfume that he’d associated with her densely in the room, his sensitive nose unmistaken, before he saw her. There she was leaning against a wall at the end of the wide corridor expecting him as if she knew he’d follow. It only became more apparent as she held his gaze for a frustrated breath, before she disappeared around the corner once again. Even as he cursed himself for doing so, he followed once again.

 

A cautious distance was kept as she led him through the house in the darkness, only sparing him a glance or two over her shoulder as they went. A Wolf, especially a Jung following a Fox, especially Choi out of mere curiosity than suspicious would certainly raise a few eyebrows and cause an especially massive melt down in both camps. Yet he still followed and she still coaxed him to pursue, leading him to the first floor ballroom balcony.

 

He was unsure of where she was leading him to or her intentions for him, but he followed foolishly. Eyes tracking her figure easily in the darkness, watching her disappear through a pair of French doors. He picked up the pace tired of whatever this was between them, but she was nowhere to be seen. The balcony was large, but not vast enough to disappear in and his eyes wouldn’t have allowed her to hide in the shadows. Perhaps she had leaped down, he considered, peaking over the edge to see no trace of her.

 

“Is there a reason you’re chasing me, Wolf?” Sooyoung inquired hotly in his ear. Immerging from the shadows behind him, she stood teasingly close enjoying the stiffening of his back at the abruptness of her words.

 

It was embarrassing that he hadn’t heard her approach, only becoming aware when her breath was brushing his ear with her inquiry and body only a slither away from his own. Where the hell had she been hiding! As if it wasn’t humiliating enough to be snuck upon, the small hairs on his neck stood on edge and heart stuttered. “Boredom,” Yunho managed to say, as he turned to face her. She didn’t take a courteous step back to maintain a respectful distance, and he wasn’t as bothered by it as he should have been.

 

“Or curiosity,” she challenged, eyes tracing his face meticulously daring him to squirm or lie under her scrutiny. He remained coolly unaffected by her proximity and inspection, not even flinching out of annoyance or disgust as she expected. Nothing, “You’ve been watching me all night.”

 

He afforded her the same courtesy, taking her in, in slow analysis. From the inquisitive eyes to the slightest of smirk on her lips, “You’re a Fox; it’s in my nature to be suspicious.” It was a blatant lie, but he wasn’t going to admit to falling for her shameless baiting, it would be giving her too much.

 

“Liar,” he had one hell of a poker face, she’d give him that, but she was a walking lie detector. Not to mention the fact that her kind, were the ultimate tricksters –you couldn’t lie to a better liar. “But, I suppose it’s hard to admit that I fascinate you,” circling him like he was delicious prey she’d managed to corner.

 

Yunho raised an eyebrow turning on her abruptly, backing her into a wall in surprise. “You give yourself too much credit, in case you forgot Neugdaes don’t fall for mere tricks from a Gumiho.” Words said with arrogance he didn’t have, and a smirk that was convincing enough if you didn’t look too closely.

 

“Yet here we are,” she challenged, not at all intimidate by the aura he was projecting, stepping closer to show him just that. Just like wolves were relatively immune to her trickery, she was immune to his intimidation. “Jung, you wouldn’t watch or follow me if you didn’t hold even the slightest fascination. Admit it, you’re curious about me,” stepping even closer, the move forcing her to tilt her head back to be able to look at him, stealing a slow glance at his mouth, before returning her gaze to his eyes in steely courage and daring.

 

He was. He was curious about why she didn’t smell as irritatingly sweet as other Foxes. He was curious as to why she hadn’t hissed and snarled or glared when she caught him staring like other foxes were prone to do in his presence. He was curious as to what it was about her that compelled his interest and prompted him to follow her. Last but not least, he was curious as to why her proximity and scrutinizing gaze, didn’t bother him. “You seem so sure, Choi,” he didn’t confirm or deny, just raising an eyebrow in question.

 

“You’re doing nothing to prove otherwise,” it was quite ridiculous a thought, but she couldn’t help notice that for a Wolf, prince Jung was rather handsome and didn’t smell awfully musky as other wolves tended to reek. It was still there, but not as strong. “Just for the record,” she began, getting on her tiptoes to speak the rest directly into his ear, “I’m definitely curious about you,” lips purposely brushing against the shell of his ear, before she disappeared into the night.

 

This time he didn’t follow, too preoccupied by her parting words and what had just occurred.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

It was a risk she took getting so close to the Jung property currently b with wolves that despised her kind, yet there she was a careful distance away peaking at the festivities. Tonight he wasn’t as uncomfortable or strained with forced politeness as the last time. He was loose around the people in this gathering, laughing heartily and genuinely at jokes and smile pulling permanently at his lips. Her draw to him should have probably faded after the last time they met, but there she was still curious about him.

 

The wind picking up signaled her time to go as the draft would likely carry her scent over to the gathering, alerting the wolves of her unwanted presence causing quite the stir.

 

The distinct perfume of her scent wafted subtly into his nose, carried by the gentle blow of the breeze. Part of him wanted to believe that he was delusional and his wayward thoughts of her were now recreating phantom scents in the air to indulge him, but he caught the flash of white in the shadows of the woods and knew he hadn’t imagined it. The daring Fox had actually crossed the treaty line into Wolf territory. Had she completely lost her mind?

 

“You smell her too, don’t you?” Changmin commented, having picked up on his cousin’s preoccupation and accrediting it to the Gumiho’s scent he’d also smelt in the air.

 

That was what he’d feared, her recklessness getting her caught by other wolves. Despite his sensibility, he didn’t want any harm to come to her, so he took a pre-emptive strike. “I’ll handle it,” already making his way toward the tree line.

 

“I’ll go with you,” Changmin followed. Yunho could probably handle it on his own being an alpha, but they weren’t sure what intentions she had in store for him.

 

“She’s alone, there’s no need,” he quickly contradicted, knowing it would only breed trouble if the younger Wolf followed.

 

“Hyung –”

 

“Just stay here and cover for me, I’ll be back soon,” his strides turning into a light jog as he disappeared into the tree line after her, with her scent as his only guide.

 

He found her sitting patiently on a boulder at the treaty line, wind rustling her hair as she basked in the moonlight. “What you did was dangerously reckless,” he told her, something he was sure she already knew.

 

“No, it was calculated and effective since you are here,” she smirked lazily, turning her eyes on him knowing he had been tracing her form intently with his eyes. What she did, didn’t bother her because she’d gotten results. High risk, high reward –she lured him away after all.

 

He usually would have been embarrassed at being caught staring, but her daring seemed to be contagious. She wasn’t innocent either, as her words teased and eyes explored his form as well. “What would you have done if someone other than me came after you?”He asked, head tilting to the side in curiosity.

 

“It didn’t happen, because you wouldn’t have let it,” she answered with surety, sliding off the boulder and closing the distance between them in seductive grace, her eyes never leaving his, “Your Wolf, what color is it?”

 

She was odd, avoiding a serious topic for something so randomly trivial. “Silver and white, why?” once again undisturbed by the fact that she choose to invade his personal space without a care, if he was honest he’d admit he craved her close proximity.

 

“Curiosity,” Sooyoung had always assumed wolves, especially alphas, would have a dark coat of black to appear more menacing, but he wasn’t the usual kind of Wolf since he’d managed to stir fascination rather than disdain in her, “Alpha?”

 

He raised an eyebrow, “something you already know, so why bother asking.” The True Alpha always descended through the Jung line of wolves, which was common knowledge. His smart mouth earning him an amused smile, “I suppose I should ask your color out of courtesy?” He’s natural impatience kicking in, since he wasn’t privy to the private joke that seemed to amuse her.

 

“How about finding out for yourself,” she dared him, backing away toward the tree line playing with the strap of her sundress. Games were in her nature and she just couldn’t help bait him. There was something thrilling in the thought of him chasing after her. She’d already experienced it in human form, but she was much more curious to find out how it would feel as a Fox.

 

His heart began beating faster even though he knew what he was feeling at the moment was wrong, taboo even but he couldn’t help it. The implication in her actions, the dare of her words and lure of her eyes provoked his heart. “What are you doing!” averting his eyes, even after she’d disappeared into the shadows.

 

“Why don’t come and find out,” her teasing voice floated out to him, dress falling to the forest floor in a rustle of fabric as she changed in to her fox.

 

He gulped fighting himself on propriety, but in the end he shot the debate to hell and followed. Her discarded dress was the first thing he came upon, silently hoping that she’d at least turned as he pursued her further. His approach was cautious, as he ventured further into the forest finding in place of her, an auburn fox with a pure white underbelly sitting on it hunches –bigger than a common wolf and much more beautiful. A single bushy tail curled to the side, indicating her age as being less than 100. “You could have just told me you know,” he informed her, wondering why his Wolf’s heckles weren’t being raised at the sight. Why he wasn’t snarling, spoiling for a fight. “What now?”

 

She got to her feet, and made her way over to him to tug on his pant leg with her teeth. Hoping he understood that she wanted him to change as well.

 

“You want me to change?” he asked, assuming it was what she was trying to convey and got a nod in response. His answer should have been no, but he felt himself curious to see where all this was heading. “Are you planning to watch?” He raised an eyebrow in question.

 

She could have pretended to not understand, but she wasn’t a voyeur or a ert, so she gave him the privacy he was teasingly asking for, by going further into the forest to wait for him. The rustle of clothes filled her ears, as he complied with her request. Minutes later she felt his large form looming over hers. With the stories she’d heard she’d expected something menacing and frightening when she laid eyes on him, but his silver coat and white underbelly wasn’t at all fearsome, especially since his eyes remained the same warm brown and smaller than any wolf she’d seen. He was rather striking in sized being much large than her even in his wolf form. With a nudge of her head she called him to follow before darting further into the forest.

 

He shouldn’t have, it wasn’t right. Yet he darted after her as she weaved through the tree line along the treaty line.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

It was yet another pompous event that the rich and privileged had to attend to be seen, and he was less than thrilled. More so because it was a family affair and his father would be around watching him like a hawk to ensure he didn’t escape. Perhaps he deserved it for ducking out of a party that had been arranged to find him a bride, to race and chase a Fox around the woods, arriving later when the party had ended.

 

The only consolation was that Changmin was there to suffer along with him through the 3 hour show. But it seemed, just like all events, the Chois were attending as well, Sooyoung looking just as thrilled as he was at being there.

 

“You know you’re not as subtle as you think,” Changmin informed his cousin who seemed to forget where they were and who was watching. It was bad enough that he’d smelt her all over him when he’d returned to the house from his excursion in the woods with a silly smile on his face, now he was gawking at her in plain view of his father. Worse still was that this odd …attraction wasn’t one sided.

 

Tearing his eyes away from her, Yunho looked at his cousin feigning ignorance. “Subtle about what?” leading them away to follow their parents to their seats.

 

“Tearing her clothes off with your eyes,” never one to mince words, the maknae just came out and said it, earning a sharp look from his hyung. “Only you would be stupid enough to fall for the one girl you are never ever supposed to even look at.”

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he whispered back, well aware that the Choi’s weren’t so far behind and Sooyoung was likely tuning in on the conversation as well as her entire family. It wouldn’t do if they were hinted into things they shouldn’t know.

 

Changmin chuckled, rolling his eyes at his cousin’s weak attempt at denial. “Are you forgetting the fact that I smelt her scent all over you the other night, don’t even get me started on the fact that you chased her through the forest,” Keeping his words vague because even he was aware of the Choi’s presence behind them. “You know what that means to us? Did you catch her?”

 

When he was sure the group of foxes had entered their booth, did Yunho answer. “It doesn’t mean anything. She just…”

 

“Got under your skin,” despite being older, Yunho wasn’t all that experienced in the adult side of relationships. From what he’d seen in the stare he’d say that he was well in lust with the Fox. Personally speaking he wasn’t all that uptight about rules and regulation even if it was a Fox, but his uncle would have a cow when he found out. “And it does mean something,” he corrected.

 

“What?” Yunho demanded, exasperated with the conversation.

 

“You’re part wolf hyung, and that mean some traits carry forward,” Changmin explained in a whisper. “A male wolf chasing a female is like and catching them leads –“

 

“We didn’t and I wouldn’t, so stop assuming,” cutting off his cousin’s words knowing exactly what he was implying. It was just a game, it meant nothing like what the younger wolf was alluding. He maybe, possibly, was slightly attracted to her but, it would fade. He hadn’t even kissed her or embraced her or anything like that!

 

Please the way they were looking at each other it was a matter of time, but he relented. “For your sake, it better stay that way.”

 

•             •             •

 

The opera wasn’t Sooyoung idea of an entertaining night, but it was mandatory family time and a social obligation so she came. Her unnie had picked up on her new interest. She supposed it was a given since Yunho’s scent wasn’t exactly subtle and it was all over her when she’d returned home the other night. But, Soojin hadn’t conveyed her findings to their parents, that is as long as she didn’t go looking for Yunho again and she stayed away.

 

Kind of hard to do when they moved in the same circles despite their family feud. As expected, he stood off to the side with his family, standing with the same wolf he’d been with the other night; her eyes finding his easily and staying there, with a small smile tugging at her lips.

 

“Don’t even think about it,” Soojin warned, picking up on the heated gaze between her dongsaeng and the Wolf. Sure Sooyoung was rebellious and she admired that in her sister, but setting her eyes on a Wolf, especially a Jung, was just stupid.

 

Pulling her eyes away as he did for the sake of her unnie, who was tittering on the edge of a nervous wreck, “I wasn’t.” She didn’t even understand what it was about the handsome Wolf that evoked such recklessness in her. It wasn’t even logical to play these games with him; nonetheless she was enjoying them far too much.

 

“Your gaze says otherwise, if you don’t stop someone other than me will pick up on it,” well it seemed moot since his companion was confronting him about the same thing, in less courteous terms as they walked behind them. “Please tell me you didn’t,” there was no saving the situation if what he alluded to happened.

 

Sooyoung clicked, “I may be a flirt, but I’m not a floozy.” Sure they played and flirted around desire by the way they talked to and behaved around each other, but they didn’t really cross the proverbial line.

 

“Remember you promised to stay away,” Soojin insisted. “His different, fascinating and attractive, but he’s a Wolf and you’re a Fox, it’s wrong and that’s that.”

 

It was easier said than done, because she was itching to see him again especially when he was so close.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

Their family booths were across from each other, giving Yunho and Sooyoung unobstructed view of each other despite the possibility of being caught by their or each other’s families. It was inexplicable whatever existed between them that made them not care and to just do what felt good to them.

 

She didn’t feel like she needed to hide her nature from him or hold back because he knew exactly what she was and wasn’t affected by her magic. He knew her trickster and sly nature, yet he wasn’t turned off by it.

 

He liked how unrestrained he felt around her, he could just do something reckless without thinking of the many consequences. There was no hiding with her, there was just being and letting go and he liked that.

 

In a daring move she always seemed to provoke in him, he winked at her, to which she raised an eyebrow in askance. With a subtle nudge of the head he motioned for her to meet him outside before he made an excuse to leave the booth.

 

She was definitely a bad influence on him and she loved it. It was thrilling, exciting and forced her to comply when he motioned for her to follow. Her unnie was giving her a disapproving glare but, she didn’t exactly care at the moment and left. Reprimand could come later, right then she had a Wolf to meet.

 

He leaned against a wall, waiting patiently for her, only looking up when he heard the tall tale click of heels coming down the hall. Once again he gestured for her to follow, disappearing round a corner having a vague idea where he was leading her.

 

She guessed it was her turn to play the cat, in this cat-and-mouse game, and chase him but she wasn’t one to appear too eager, so she took her time. The hall was empty when she turned the corner, but his scent was still in the air which only meant he was close.

 

To catch her off guard he pulled her into the shadows of an empty both, and pressed her against the wall. A smirk played at his lips at the surprise in her eyes.

 

“You are more daring than I imagined,” leaning against the wall looking up at him not feeling trapped in the arms he chose to place on either side of her. If anything she liked him being close in ways that would have been otherwise uncomfortable. “You called?”

 

“Part of you knew I would,” after Changmin’s warning, he should have probably stayed away but he couldn’t even if he tried. “Don’t tell me you’re scared.”

 

She laughed, pushing off the wall to press against him. “The one who is scared is you,” bringing a lone finger to trace his jaw line, tapping gently when she got to his chin.

 

“Why is that,” he asked even if his nerves were wrought. Boundaries didn’t seem to exist anymore as touching was now on the table. It wasn’t even what one would call scandalous rather it was innocent. However, the way she went about it wasn’t at all.

 

Moving up she traced the seams of his lips, eyes following intently. “You haven’t kissed me even though you think about it every time you’re near me,” her own heart stuttered with his as she voiced the unspoken secret between them. She’d be lying if she said she hadn’t thought about it too.

 

“I can’t,” doing what she was daring him to do would be plunging deeper into a much more reckless path than they were on already. He had thought about it, but following through was something else altogether with a large sign of caution and danger stamped on it.

 

She sighed, finally looking up at him. “No, you won’t,” she argued. He could if he really wanted to and she wouldn’t stop him, but he wouldn’t because he was still holding onto caution.

 

“We are in the company of wolves and foxes, do you honestly think they wouldn’t pick up on the fact we were together if I kissed you,” he defended his hesitation. Their families didn’t exactly like each other, and it would be testing patience and their tentative agreement to have two of their future leaders do what they were doing.

 

She was well aware of that, yet didn’t care as she should. He was far too tempting to pass up, so wrapping arms around his neck she enticed him further by bring her lips dangerously close to his. “And if they do?” she breathed, eyes still locked on his hooded ones.

 

“Don’t tempt me,” his warning coming out husky as he succumbed, and began giving into her want and his own, arms coming round to circle her slim waist holding her close.

 

Brushing her lips lightly against his, watching his eyes slide close, “Get tempted,” she opposed, fingers playing with hair at his nape.

 

He gave in and kissed her.

 

•             •             •

 

Changmin wasn’t all that surprised to get a message from Yunho telling him that he wasn’t returning after going missing for over an hour. He understood well the allure of a woman, but his hyung wasn’t one to go against the rules over any woman –too straight laced for his own good –yet a Fox was making him reckless and daring, it was too hilarious.

 

He guessed the more forbidden the fruit, the taster the fruit, “Samchon, Yunho-hyung isn’t feeling well so he left,” he wasn’t surprised to see his uncle’s jaw clenching in anger. Taking advantage of the intermission in the program, he went in search of food.

 

“You should tell him to stay away,” a petite woman with a vague resemblance to the Fox his hyung was hung up on approached him as he filled his plate with finger food. Pretty features twisted into an unimpressed scowl. He would say sister, since their scents were similar yet fundamentally distinct.

 

He sniggered, “because she’s the innocent party in this.” The blame for their stupidity went both ways not just on his hyung. If the lady wanted to believe otherwise, then she was clearly delusional.

 

“You don’t like this anymore than I do, so why not help me stop it before it goes too far,” Soojin frowned at the younger man’s mocking, keeping up appearance by filling her own plate.

 

Oh dear, weren’t foxes suppose to be devious tricksters therefore smarter than this? “Stopping them will only make it more enticing. If you want my advice Choi, let it run its course, they are bound to get bored sooner or later.”

 

“And if they don’t,” she challenged with a raised eyebrow, his smugness annoying her.

 

He shrugged, “then I’m wrong,” with nonchalance he didn’t quite have, he walked away. He could only hope the Fox-chasing was a phase, and his uptight hyung would return only slightly altered afterwards.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

If the kiss had been bad, then perhaps it would be easier to let go and forget whatever electricity or attraction they had for each other. But, it had been good, so good that her lips still tingled when she thought about it. Worse still, she wanted more and it pulled her further into the mystique that was Jung Yunho. What was it that was so magnetic about him that trapped her in curiosity, she was still to understand.

 

With Soojin already engaged, it was only a matter of time before they turned their focus on her with the same proposal. She’d always known that her marriage wouldn’t be to a man she chose, but to one who could appropriately carry forward the Choi family legacy. What she hadn’t imagined was marrying so soon. She had much she still wanted to explore and discover before making that monumental promise of forever to someone, but time seemed to be slipping from her hands.

 

Yunho hadn’t been all that surprised that his family had ambushed him with a marriage meeting, since according to his father, he always managed to slip away when they informed him beforehand. Granted it wasn’t something he consciously or purposely did, but his latest escape with the Fox at the opera definitely painted it as such.

 

He had kissed her long, hard and intimately to not have had her scent laced with his, there had been no way his family wouldn’t have smelt it from a mile away, so he’d slinked off earlier than intended to avoid discovery. There was no regret or guilt felt for what he’d done, because he had been consumed by her and he had enjoyed every minute of it –A tangle of passion and electricity that still had him reeling a week on.

 

A marriage though wasn’t a horrible idea and practically speaking he couldn’t go a century without a bride, so he’d sat through the meeting. He’d done what he was expected to do –he engaged her and had been courteous and polite to the woman. Now, while she had been nice, it had been fairly easy to determine that Joohyun wasn’t the one, having stirred absolutely nothing in him. Mind you, he wasn’t looking for fiery passion or electrifying chemistry, but a certain amount of interest was warranted and he just didn’t have that with the young woman.

 

The cracking of twigs alerted her of his approach before she had felt his presence, or smelt his scent in the breeze. He seemed to be in just as deep thought as she was if not more, prompting her to pull him out of his reverie, “Great minds think alike.”

 

Her voice was enough to pull him away from his thoughts to finally notice her sitting by the river with feet dipped in the water’s gentle currents. “So it seems,” he agreed toeing off his shoes and discarding his socks to join her. “What’s your excuse?” he rolled up his pants to revel in the soothing cool of the water with her.

 

“Reality setting in,” the details weren’t needed, just the conclusion her many thoughts had led to, “You?”

 

His pilgrimage to the river had been to escape his pending eventuality for a while. “Same, I suppose,” lying on the ground to look at the sky, “think I can escape it for a moment?” He contemplated out loud.

 

“Maybe,” a sigh escaped her, following his suit and balancing on an elbow so she could look at his face. “What do you have in mind?” Helping in his escape could only aid her in her own escape, so she didn’t mind.

 

At the moment it was getting lost in the little world they created for themselves whenever they were together, it seemed like a plausible escape. Turning his head to the side, he looked at her with a small smile tugging at his lips, “Surprise me,” giving her free reign because anything she did usually made him forget.

 

A kiss would be too easy an option, a run was another idea but it was usually better in the night when the air was crisp. “Close your eyes,” an idea finally coming to her, using the back of her hand to caress his face gently, thumb unable to resist the urge to his lower lip. Perhaps she wouldn’t kiss him, but it was definitely a hard temptation to fight after their first kiss.

 

“Why,” raising a playful eyebrow. He had no qualms in closing his eyes and experiencing whatever she had in mind, because it was always exciting.

 

She smirked, “because…” voice trailing off to build up tension that usually rose whenever their eyes met moving closer still. “It feels better with your closed. Now close your eyes, Jung,” taking her feet out of the water.

 

Her tone’s melody and look in hers eyes were enough to coax him to comply, his eyes fluttering shut waiting for whatever was to come.

 

Usually her magic would greatly factor into its effects, but a Wolf wouldn’t succumb to her magic. Combing fingers through his hair, she listened to the calm staccato of his heart beat and breathing evening out. She began humming a calming melody, rubbing soothing circle on his temple with her thumb.

 

Everything about the moment relaxed him into a state of lazy contentment and ecstasy–the air around him saturated with her scent, the feel of her fingers brushing through his hair, the gentle massaging circles on his temple and the soft hum of her song, that gently transitioned to an airy tinkle of a voice as she began to sing –it was all hypnotizing.

 

His face was the picture of pure innocence and his trust in her was overwhelming. Millennia long feuds based on distrust and hate, yet there they were, Wolf with his eyes closed placing himself in the hands of a Fox like it was nothing at all. There was a certain naivety about him that prompted protection, but he also possessed mystique that provoked intense attraction. Continuing her soft song, she trailed a feather light caress of the lips against his temple, brow, down his nose before hovering over his lips.

 

Yunho fought hard against himself to keep his eyes shut, feeling her lips ghost over his face in a barely there touch. His heart raced as he felt the puff of her breath against his lips, anticipating her kiss as her song faded into the wind, but it never came. Letting his eyes flutter open he found her hooded eyes on his and face inches from his own. Perhaps she was waiting on him to initiate it?

 

She waited an anticipatory breath, lost in his gaze before closing the short distance and covering his lips with hers, leg thrown over his body to straddled his waist. Her assertiveness seemed to surprise him, making her chuckle against his lips.

 

His surprised only lasted for seconds, fingers losing themselves in her silken dark locks, moving his lips under her own swallowing her laughter. He was completely lost in her and the kiss.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

Yunho supposed it was only a matter of time before someone other than Changmin picked up on his attraction to Sooyoung or her scent on his clothes. The glances he stole in her direction weren’t all that subtle either and he’d been caught by his sister on more than one occasion because of it. Everything he felt for her was intoxicating and addicting –something consuming was always dangerous and what they had was certainly heading fast in that direction. Yet, he just couldn’t stay away.

 

“Party not doing it for you?” As had become the norm, he’d found her hiding out on the balcony having escaped the pretentiousness that was the latest ball.

 

She’d sensed him long before he’d spoken, which was why she wasn’t all that startled by his sudden query. If anything she’d been expecting him, knowing he’d escape his company as she had and come to find her. “It never does,” sneaking a glance at him, before returning her eyes to the fountain. Even with her mother deducing the fact that she’d been meeting a Wolf often and warning her to stay away, she couldn’t. Lately, the only time she’d felt free was with him and that freedom was addicting. But, Yunho himself was also rather mesmerizing. “How is it that they just never change?”

 

“Because there are only so many ways to present pretentiousness,” he offered moving to stand behind her. “But, we have each other to pass the time,” words spoken into her ear.

 

She chuckled turning to face him, “You sound so sure there, Jung. Who says I need you,” a playful light twinkled in her eye, smirk tugged at her lips.

 

“True, you don’t need me,” he agreed, leaning in to whisper the rest in her ear, “but you can’t deny wanting me.” It was an arrogant thing to say but it was something he was sure of and the shiver confirmed it.

 

It was true she wanted him more than she should, “Your arrogance is something else,” she informed him even as her eyes strayed to his lips. He had been blessed with a very inviting pair lips.

 

“Then prove me wrong,” he challenged, hand finding her hip pulling her closer, faces inches apart daring her to deny it. His lips had barely brushed hers before he was ripped harshly way from her, and pinned against a wall with an angry Fox breathing down on him.

 

“What the hell do you think you’re doing, dog,” Choi Seunghyun demanded in barely controlled anger. At first he hadn’t wanted to believe Sooyoung had been going against unspoken laws for a Wolf when his aunt had asked him to keep an eye on her, but here he was pinning the daring dog against a wall who had been inches from kissing her.

 

Yunho regained his bearing easily to glare back at the male Fox in forced calm. He had to give it to the shorter man for having enough guts to attack even if he’d blindsided him. “You might want to get your hands of me,” his steely warning laced with all the danger it promised to bring should the guy not back down.

 

Even though a Wolf’s Intimidation didn’t have any effect on them, it wasn’t hard to pick up on Yunho’s agitation at her cousin. “Oppa –” but her advance to her raging cousin was promptly impeded by the restraining hand of her other cousin, Siwon, who was equally unimpressed.

 

“And if I don’t, what will you do?” Seunghyun taunted daring the man to do something, give him a solid reason to teach him a lesson.

 

The grip on her was as tight and secure as a vice, “Would you let me go –Oppa, just let him go.” When foxes and wolves fought it had always been to the death, and she couldn’t let that happen.

 

“Be smart, Fox. Do you really want to go up against an Alpha?” Changmin entered the fray with Soojin trailing behind him, who’d been in the process of trying to solicit his help again now that Yunho-Sooyoung was becoming an open secret, when all hell broke loose. “The one who’ll be walking away will be Hyung, do you really want to end your life over something they did on a whim,” he added, hoping Yunho kept his mouth shut and let him talk his way out of a bad situation.

 

To be honest, Yunho was barely able to hold onto his control as everything urge him to change and rip the Fox apart. But, for the sake of treaty, exposure and ultimately Sooyoung –the male fox was someone she obviously cared about since was trying to escape the other fox’s grip to get to him –he didn’t. “I would listen to him if I was you, walk away,” eyes sliding to Sooyoung who looked relieved at him keeping his cool and not hurting the man.

 

“Stay away from her or I won’t be cordial the next time, arraso,” Seunghyun warned, shoving him one last time before letting him go. “Youngie, Soojin-ah, kajja,” grabbing the former’s hand as he went, not missing a beat.

 

Siwon lingered to glare fiercely at Yunho before allowing Soojin to pull him away from the scene.

 

Changmin was more amused at the male Fox than annoyed when he bumped into his shoulder as he left with the older Choi sister. “I know you are well endowed, but you’ve got some brass ones trying to kiss her out in the open.”

 

“Really, you’re going to be a smartass now?” He didn’t need Changmin’s sarcastic ‘I told you so’.

 

“No better time than the present,” Changmin countered getting a glare for his trouble.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

To say her father and mother weren’t impressed by her disobeying them was an understatement, resulting in house arrest with supervised walks with Seunghyun, Siwon, Jonghyun, Minho or Kai as the only concession. Not to mention her little show of defiance had fast forwarded their search for a husband for her, which was the only time she was around anyone that wasn’t close or distant family. She supposed she deserved it for her rebellion, but that didn’t mean she liked it. However, she had to admit that even though the method was questionable, it was rather effective as it keep her busy enough to not think about Yunho.

 

It was rare for Yunho’s father to be anything but proud of his son, but the unfortunate events at the party had achieved the first real disappointment for his father. He hadn’t gone out of his way to hurt or embarrass his father with his actions, but what had happened could only have those results. His punishment was getting exiled to Japan until he found his future wife. A decision he didn’t fight simply because distance was the only possibly way he could stay away from Sooyoung long enough to forget her.

 

Faces of her suitors blended into one, most were more interested in impressing her parents and cousins than they were in trying to know their possible future wife. Each time she e down for incompatibility she was reminded that her freedom rested on her finally selecting a partner, and she should consider them more closely instead of dismissing them over trivial matters. Months passed until she settled on a Kitsune named Jin, who’d managed to be the least bit interesting. He’d been just as unenthused at the prospect of marriage which meant even if she chose him he’d put off the marriage for as long as possible making him more ideal in her book. It was especially convenient that her thoughts were mutual.

 

Okami after okami were paraded in front of him, some on the aggressive side of dominant, others on the passive side of submissive –all the same difference. If they weren’t trying to worm their way into virtual royalty that was the Jung family, they were deterred by the contrasting difference in culture that they weren’t ready to embrace. Suzame was the only one he’d meet with enough of a flair to stand out –not drawn by the prospect of royalty, not opposed to a Neugdae, and agreeable without being a walk over. More over his family liked her as well, so his choice for a wife was her.

 

Both family threw extravagant and public engagement parties to drive home the point to the other that their heirs little dalliance was well over. Their first public appearance, other than their engagement announcements, was a charity masquerade ball.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

Yunho sensed her before he saw or smelled her, finding her easily in the crowd despite her mask. A vision in an eye catching white dress with accents of silver, bejewel feather mask placed on her face.

 

“Don’t even think about it, you’ve just gotten out of exile,” Changmin warned sipping on his champagne, watching his hyung get lost in the Fox once again. He couldn’t exactly blame the guy though since she just called for attention, protective older sister wasn’t looking bad either.

 

Yunho took a sip of his champagne, “looking isn’t a crime. I’m engaged not dead.” His attraction to her hadn’t faded, and an engagement wouldn’t magically make it go away.

 

“I love the fact that she managed to get you to loosen up, you’re almost fun,” Changmin teased, getting a shove for his efforts. He hadn’t lied; Yunho had indeed lightened up and stopped taking himself too serious without losing the essence that was Jung Yunho, future Alpha.

 

Sooyoung easily found Yunho in the crowd and it wasn’t even because of the towering height he and his cousin shared, she just seemed in tuned with his presence –sensing him long before she saw him or smelled his scent in the air. The black suit and shirt was tailored to perfection, pearl grey tie matching the pocket square. His beauty mark situated near his mouth distinctive.

 

“I thought you were over this,” Soojin sighed, following her dongsaeng’s line of vision to the Wolf across the room. “You just got out of house arrest, and Seunghyun is watching you like a hawk.”

 

Sooyoung rolled her eyes, “He’s over 6ft tall, kind hard to miss.” That was a bald-faced lie but it was her story and she was sticking to it. Anything else would have her poor sister fighting a nervous breakdown.

 

“I don’t care if his luminous green with neon signs, just stay away from him,” Soojin hissed, pulling her along toward their cousins and her fiancé. Keeping Sooyoung from Yunho would have been much easier if Jin would have been around, but he’d returned to Japan.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

“So you really have been consorting with the enemy,” Jessica concluded after much observation, as she and Yunho swayed to the music. She was currently blonde, but she certainly wasn’t stupid. Her cousin may have been dancing with her on and off all night, but his attention was on the brunette in white a few paces away.

 

He snorted, “what have you heard?” His indiscretion with Sooyoung had made it’s rounds in the extended family, so he wasn’t surprised that a possibly exaggerated version of the story had reached her ears.

 

“I haven’t heard, but rather I’ve seen it and felt it all night,” she explained. Frankly speaking, she’d never understood the family feud between the two families, and even less now that they were making a big Romeo and Juilette-esque deal about Yunho falling for a Choi. “Why you’re here dancing with me instead of her is beyond me.”

 

Unlike Okami who had female wolves in their fold therefore having the culture of full disclosure, Neugdae only had male wolves with the odd female every other century thus keeping the circle of knowing within the men. To Jessica the whole feud was beyond stupid, which was true if you factored out the supernatural element, “Family loyalty.”

 

“I call bull,” she spelled out not mincing a single word, enticing a disbelieving smile from her cousin. Usually, he would have frozen up or given her the guilt trip with the eyes because he was just that straight laced of a guy, but it seemed he had soften and mellowed out since she’d last seen him –she was liking the brunette more by the minute. “But since I’m nice and bored, why don’t you ask for my help to see her once more, before being tied down to Suzi-whatever her name is.”

 

•             •             •

 

To keep her preoccupied and far away from the devious wolves, her cousins took turns dancing with her around the room. Siwon kept her as far from Yunho’s side of the room as possible, Minho following suit to not anger his hyungs. Jonghyun choose to keep silent as they danced barely looking at her making the whole thing awkward and stiff. Kai was clumsy, not used to the rigidness of the dance while Seunghyun, who monopolized her time, moved in and out of justifying his actions.

 

“I’m not angry with you,” Sooyoung assured him, allowing him to guide her effortlessly around the floor.

 

Seunghyun sighed, wanting to believe her but uncertain. “It may seem unfair, but in the end you’ll see what I did was right.” It wasn’t an apology and he didn’t think he owed her one because, he had been protecting the family name and honor, but he wanted to clarify his actions to her –Sooyoung angry at him was never something he wanted. “What you had with him would have eventually fizzled into nothing, because passion and trill always does and isn’t something to build any type of foundation on.”

 

“I know. I’m engaged, am I not?” ‘Passion faded, but love could be built’ was drilled into her head through the months, she didn’t need him to tell her once again. Her eyes caught Yunho’s for a long moment over her cousin’s shoulder, keeping them there out of comfort.

 

Seunghyun smiled gently, “Which is for the better,” twirling her around in a pirouette, as she laughed. Unfortunately, at that moment, a blonde came barreling into him and Sooyoung slipped away from him, whisked away by someone else into the crowd.

 

It happened so fast that she actually needed a moment to orient herself to gage what had happened. One minute she was being twirled round by Seunghyun, the next her hand had slipped out of his and she was crushing into a solid chest being whisked away. The familiar scent surrounded her as hand came to her waist to steady her on her feet. “If you wanted a dance, all you had to do is ask,” her eyes meeting Yunho’s through his mask.

 

“Figured I’d avoid a fist fight this way,” he defended, quickly pulling her closer in the appropriate position, moving them further away from the commotion his blonde cousin had created.

 

She laughed, “because stealing me away was a better idea?” Once her cousin knew where she was and with whom hell hath no fury than how angry he would be.

 

“I stand by my actions,” pulling her flush against him, he dipped her low to the ground before bringing her up against him again. “You’re not complaining are you?”

 

She hummed, pirouetting around him until her chest was flush against his back with a leg hooked over his hip, arms around his chest to steady her. “No, but I did just mend fences with him, so…” she expounded, allowing him to twist her around him until she faced him once again.

 

“It’s been a while,” he breathed, taking shuffling steps back with her in tow, the side of his face flush against hers.

 

Her heart skipped a beat, “sounds a lot like you missed me,” following him into a customary tango stoop, aware that the dance floor had clear off somewhat to give them the floor –all attention on them.

 

“If I did?” he challenged, bringing them back to their feet and into another few dancing steps.

 

It was a loaded question, “then I did too,” making a few cross steps, before allowing him to lift her with her legs thrown over one of his legs. Fantasy dictated for her to get lost in him and the moment for as long as she possible could beyond the dance, but reality burst that bubble reminding her that this had to be the last time they were together, like this. “But all good things come to an end.”

 

“They don’t have to,” it was a useless statement because what she’d said was all too real, as real as the engagement rings sitting on her finger and his. The thumb at the small of her back caressed her skin in useless reassurance.

 

She wished it too, but reality was reality. “Something’s are great when they last for a moment, because they are meant to for that moment. Stretching them out would probably make them lose their spark.” A subconscious part of her knew that if given a chance they would have made something more of the sparks between them, but the bigger part argued that once you take out the forbidden aspect of them it would all fade into nothing, so it was all for the better.

 

Spinning her around until her back rested against his chest as they moved, “Or they could continue burning bright,” he argued, not sure why he was trying to convince her otherwise when he was supposed to be saying goodbye.

 

“Only in fairytales,” shimming down the length of his body and rising up to face him, leg hooked over his hip body flush against him. “This is reality.”

 

His hand skimmed her thigh, before twirling around in an impressive lift that had many gushing. “And if you had a chance to escape that reality and live in the fairytale, would you try?” he questioned, eyes locked on hers as he set her back on the ground.

 

“It’s better to enjoy the memories than destroy them by possible unpleasantness,” it was something she feared, that those perfect moments shared would be erased by strife they would face should they go against their families. “Enjoying the moment is safer.”

 

The song came to a close with Yunho dipping Sooyoung dramatically, her leg once again hooked over his hip earning them a round of applause. He brought her back up temple to temple, chests heaving as they attempted to catch a breath. “So I suppose this is where I let you go, lest your cousins break me in half.”

 

“It definitely is,” already stepping away from him. “Thank you for the dance it was… memorable.”

 

He forced himself to not go after her as she continued taking step back, “It was. Goodbye.”

 

“Goodbye,” she bid him, turning on her heel to disappear into the crowd not turn back to look at him. Looking back would mean going back on her conviction to let him go, looking back would make it hard to walk away like she should and damn it, tears were relentlessly stinging her eyes.

 

He watched her disappear into the crowd all the while fighting not to follow, hoping she turned back and looked at him one last time despite knowing she wouldn’t –a pleasant memory was all she would remain.

 

--~*+*~-:-The End-:-~*+*~--

 

Author’s Note: Once again I over did it, aiming for a 4k word story but getting 10k instead. The title was a hard one to execute simply because I didn’t really know how to bring together passion and opera without it being cliché. Passion was easier to bring about (hopefully), but with opera I took a less literal sense of the word. Opera performances are often over-the-top, dramatic, whimsical and theatrical, which I hope the story portrayed. I wanted Sooyoung to be as much of a chaser this time round, instead of being the girl being chased, so I hope it came through.

 

Inspiration: Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliette, Okami and Kitsune mythology, Suju’s Opera, Sooyoung’s Sway performance, Step Up 3D’s Bust Your Window performance.

 

Some song suggestions: In the Dark by Shelley Harland is the song Sooyoung sings and sets the mood of that entire scene I recommend listening to it. Te Odio by Sofi Mayen really matches the beginning when they first meet and they chase.