Final

More Than Best Friends

“Yah! Howon! Wake up!” Minyoung yelled as she pulled the blanket off of her childhood best friend.

“Five more minutes,” Howon mumbled as he rolled over on his side and brought a pillow to his head.

“I said wake up right now!” Minyoung yelled as she pulled the pillow from his hand. Howon pulled the pillow back.

“HOWON!! I COMAND YOU TO GET UP RIGHT NOW!” Minyoung commanded with her hands on her hips. Howon didn’t move.

Minyoung let out an irritated sigh before she gathered her hair up into a ponytail. She quickly tied it in placed before she took a deep breath; she carefully got onto the bed making sure not to move too much. She went from her kneeling position to a standing position. She moved so she was hovering over Howon.

Minyoung then grabbed onto Howon’s arm and pulled on it with all her might. She managed to get him off the bed a couple of inches before she let him fall back down onto the bed.

“Why are you so heavy Howon? I’m serious you either eat too much or you have too much muscle,” Minyoung complained. Minyoung tried to lift Howon off the bed again. This time it was rather easy… too easy perhaps. Minyoung managed to get Howon into a sitting position. She heaved a sigh before she let go of his arm. Howon fell back down onto his back.

“Oh my god. Howon you’re going to drive me insane,” Minyoung scoffed as she climbed onto the bed again and grabbed his hand. She heaved him up again, but yet he fell back down when she accidently forgot to hold on.

“Howon,” Minyoung hissed as she climbed on the bed for the 4th time. Instead this time she decided to do a new tack tic. She moved to the right side of him and kneeled down. She leaned her face down closer to his before she raised her right hand. Minyoung moved her head back as she was getting ready to smack him. Before she knew it Howon was hovering over her, her wrist in his hand.

“Trying to hurt me now?” Howon asked with a smirk on his face.

Minyoung shook her head trying to play innocent as butterflies formed in her stomach. She never knew why they appeared, well she knew why they happen, but the thing is… they always seem to form whenever she was with her best friend.

Howon moved his face closer to Minyoung’s. Minyoung held her breath at the sudden closeness. Sure she was used to being this close to her best friend…, who happens to be a guy, but lately whenever he’s close to her, butterflies would form and her heart would pound like crazy.

“I said 5 more minutes and oh look at the time it’s been 8 minutes. Plus it was a lot of fun teasing you. Who knew you would ever go as far as using your strength to get me off the bed,” Howon said before he pulled back, let go of Minyoung’s wrist and hopped off the bed. He quickly headed for the bathroom.

“Yah!” Minyoung yelled as she sat up, grabbed a pillow and threw it at the closed bathroom door. It was an inside joke between their families. When they were both in elementary school Howon wasn’t able to open a jar during a party. No matter how hard he tried it just wouldn’t open. He gave it to Minyoung and the lid popped right off. Since then they teased Howon about how he should be stronger than Minyoung and everyone would call Minyoung the little giant due to her strength in a petite and small body. Sure she was strong for someone one barely 5 feet tall.

Minyoung got off the bed and left the room heading downstairs.

 

-----------------------

 

“I still see the point in all of this,” Howon complained to his parents as they sat down at the center table in their company ballroom.

“It’s a meeting to welcome the New Year son. Plus all your friends will be here including Minyoung,” his father replied in a calm voice.

“I still find it pointless,” Howon mumbled under his breath.

“Make yourself comfortable then,” his mother said patting his back before she and Howon’s father got up and headed towards the door where the guests were entering.

Howon grunted before he sat back in his chair and took out his phone.

 

-----------------------

 

“Is Noona coming?” Sungjong asked Howon.

“She should be. She texted me that she just got outside,” Howon replied.

“You know. Minyoung is really pretty and is a nice girl. Do you think she’ll say yes when I ask her on a date?” Woohyun asked Howon.

“N- I mean I don’t know,” Howon replied. He felt an urge to say something more. He felt protective of Minyoung more than an older brother though. He knew Woohyun was a good person even though he’s a major flirt. And he knew that Minyoung and Woohyun both got along well and for someone reason when he sees the two of them together he feels this weird pain in his chest.

“What were you going to say before that Howon?” Woohyun asked raising an eyebrow.

“Nothing,” Howon said before he looked at his phone looking for a text message from Minyoung.

“Hyung. Noona is here,” Sungjong said as he nudged Howon’s side.

Howon looked up and found Minyoung standing by the door with her parents next to her. Minyoung was wearing knee length, white-strapless dress with a black band around the waist. Her hair was in a half up do and the bottom half in soft curls.  

Howon’s eyes were locked on Minyoung beauty. Of course he’s seen her in many other dresses and many times were she was in formal clothing, but this time he just couldn’t pull his eyes from her radiant beauty.

Minyoung spotted Howon and Infinite sitting down. She smiled as she found Howon and locked eye contact with him for a second before she felt her cheeks start to burn and she looked away. Howon looked away also as he felt as if his heart skip a beat.

Minyoung excused herself from her parents before she started to walk towards Infinite and Howon. As she approached them Sungjong ran up to her and gave her a tight hug.

“Hello noona!” Sungjong squealed.

“Hello Sungjong,” Minyoung replied with a wide simle.

The rest of Infinite took turns say their hello’s. After they were done Minyoung took a seat next to Howon.

 

-----------------------

 

“I’m going to go get something to drink. Do you want anything Minyoung?” Howon asked as he got up from his chair.

“Um… punch?” Minyoung said as she looked over to the refreshments table.

“Alright be back soon,” Howon said with a smile before he quickly left.

 

-----

 

Howon reached the refreshment table and quickly filled up some cups with punch before someone moved up next to him.

“I told you to wait for me,” Howon said as he finished filling the cups with punch before he looked up to see who it was. His eyes widen as he saw Nana his ex girlfriend standing before him. 

 

Minyoung looked up in Howan’s direction and saw all of this. She looked away as she felt her heart squeeze in pain. Why am I feeling like this? We’re friends and nothing more.

Woohyun saw this and said, “Hey. Minyoung. I’ve been meaning to ask you something,”

Minyoung looked up in curiosity, Woohyun chuckled before he continued, “I know we’ve been friends for a long time now and I was wondering if you would like to go on a date with me?”

Minyoung’s eyes widen as she tilted her head, “This isn’t a dare is it?”

“Dare!? N-” Woohyun started, but he felt a hand cover his mouth. Woohyun looked at the person who covered his mouth and found Dongwoo telling to be quiet.

“Of course it’s a dare. We’re bored so we’re playing truth or dare,” Dongwoo answered as he hinted for Woohyun to look at Howon who was suddenly approaching them.

“Oh I see. Even though it is a dare it would be nice to go on a date,” Minyoung replied happily.

Dongwoo smiled at her as he removed his hand from Woohyun’s mouth.  Woohyun smiled, glad that his plan was slowly working out the way he and Infinite planned it. They all know both Howon and Minyoung liked each other it was clear. But both of them seemed too scared to admit it. So they decided they’ll help them.

Howon placed the cups of punch down onto the table before he took a seat next to Minyoung. Minyoung smiled and thanked Howon before she excused herself to go to the restroom.

“What’s wrong with her?” Howon asked worried about his best friend.

Infinite shrugged. Howon watched Minyoung’s figure disappear before he turned his head towards his punch.

“Hey. Howon want to play truth or dare?” Sungyeol asked.

“Sure,” Howon replied as he brought his attention to his friends.

“Alright. Truth or dare or better yet you can choose both,” Sungyeol said.

“Um. I chose both,” Howon said with a smirk. He loved playing truth or dare especially when he could have the best of both worlds.

“Okay. Truth will be first,” Sungyeol said.

“Howon do you like Minyoung more than a friend?” Sunggyu asked. Howon looked at him unsure of what to say. Sure he liked Minyoung, but he never thought they could be more than friends which is why he tries so hard to hide his feelings for her.

“If you don’t tell the truth and we find you’re lying you know the punishment,” Myungsoo reminded.

“A flick on the forehead Hyung,” Sungjong said.

“I do like her more than a friend,” Howon confessed. Infinite’s faces’ lit up.

“I dare you to confess to Noona about how you love her,” Sungjong commanded.

Howon’s eyes widen as he said, “B-But I can’t. It’ll ruin our relationship as friends.”

“Face it Howon. If you don’t act now, Woohyun here will have a lovely date with her,” Dongwoo said as he placed his hands onto Woohyun’s shoulder. Woohyun smirked.

“Fine. I’ll do it,” Howon said as he got up and fixed his vest.

“You know where she is,” Sunggyu said with a wink.

Howon nodded as he turned and headed for the flower garden. He knew his best friend well enough. Minyoung would always go hide when she was feeling down and wouldn’t just happen to leave when he got back.

 

-----------------------

 

Howon saw Minyoung standing with her back to him. She was facing the water fountain. He took a deep breath before proceeding.

I shouldn’t be feeling this way. We’ll only be friends. So what if he wants to get back with his old girlfriend. Minyoung thought to herself. She let out sigh as she lowered her hand to touch the ice cold water. She quickly drew her hand back before she felt a gentle breeze. Minyoung looked down at her reflection when suddenly she felt cloth on a blazer on her shoulder. Howon. Minyoung looked to her side and found Howon standing next to her. She then looked back down.

“I thought you were going to the bathroom,” Howon spoke.

“I did, but then when I came out I just wanted some peace and quite for a while,” Minyoung explained.

“Minyoung,” Howon called.

“Yes,” Minyoung replied as she looked up at Howon and locked eye contact with him.

“I… I have something important to say to you,” he said.

Minyoung felt her heart start to beat faster and the butterflies form in her stomach.

“I… I don’t think we can be friends anymore,” Howon said.

Minyoung looked away unsure of how to respond.

“Look. Minyoung,” Howon said as he placed thumb under Minyoung’s chin and lifted her head to face him.

“What? What Howon? I saw you with your girlfriend. Is it because of me that you can’t have her back? Is that it? If that’s the reason then fine. I’ll stop being your friend… your best friend,” Minyoung yelled.

“Listen to me first Minyoung. That’s not the reason,” Howon claimed. Minyoung stood there waiting for an answer. Howon took a deep breath before he continued, “The reason is… I think I love you. No. I know I love you. Every time I’m close to you my heart beats faster. When ever I see you with another guy I wish it was me. I know I love you. I never told you this before because… because I was afraid of what would happen with our relationship.”

“I… Howon… I… I feel the same way,” Minyoung said with a smile. Howon smiled and cupped her face before he bent down and kissed her lips. It was a sweet gentle kiss, but Minyoung could feel all the love Howon had for her and Howon could feel all the love Minyoung had for him.

Minyoung quickly pulled back as she heard clapping. Howon and Minyoung turned to see who it was and to their surprise it was their friends.

“Good job Hyung. You pass our dare,” Sungjong said.

“YAH! HOWON!” Minyoung yelled as she hit his chest, “It was a dare?!”

“No Minyoung listen to me,” Howon said as he took a hold of both her wrists, “It was a dare, BUT my feelings are real and true.”

Minyoung quieted down looking at her friends.

“It’s true Noona. We gave him the best of both worlds and he answered truth already,” Sungjong said with a smile.

“And truth was?” Minyoung asked.

“If he liked you more than a friend,” Myungsoo replied.

“And?” Minyoung asked, turning to Howon this time.

“I like you more than a friend. I love you Kim Minyong,” Howon replied as he pulled her by her waist closer to him.

“I love you too Lee Howon,” Minyoung said before Howon leaned down and they shared yet another sweet kiss.