1/1

Goodbye Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yeobosaeyo?” You said groggily into your phone. It was three o’clock in the morning and you weren’t all that thrilled at being woken up from such a pleasant sleep. You were tempted to just ignore the call, but with your line of work as a journalist, you knew that making such a mistake could cost you your career.

The voice at the end of the phone made sure to prevent any possibility of you returning to your dreams any time soon. After they had delivered their message, they abruptly hung up, leaving your body feeling numb from shock.  You slowly set the phone down as your mind processed everything you had just heard. You felt your heart breaking, but your mind told you everything was true. Tears trailed down your face as the force of the other person’s words finally completely sunk into your mind, the last sentence loudly echoing in your ears.

“He’s dead.”

…………………

You silently approached the building, tears still trailing down your pale cheeks. It seemed like you had been crying ever since you had received the phone call yesterday morning. Your mind was in a haze of grief, so you barely registered the greetings of the people who had arrived at the mortuary before you. As you slowly moved closer to the casket at the front of the room, snippets of the conversations of those around you began to penetrate your ears.

“…was sick for a long time.”

“Isn’t she his ex?”

“…so sad. He was so young.”

You let the sound of their voices wash over you as you stared into the coffin and looked at the face of the man you loved. Memories began to flood your brain and you let them come to you, desperate to hold on to happier times with him.

……………………

(Series of Flashbacks)

You were walking through the halls of your high school with a huge stack of books in your arms when you suddenly tripped over your own feet. You in a breath at the sharp sting you felt in your knees and on your hands and then sighed in frustration when you noticed that the books you had been carrying had flown all over the hallway. You slowly began to gather up the books, still on your hands and knees, when you saw an arm reach down beside you and pick up one of the books. Curious as to whom the arm belonged to, you glanced up and stared directly into the eyes of a stranger who smiled at you. You began to blush when you saw how handsome he was and stuttered out a few words of thanks. He helped you stand up and responded.

“No problem. I couldn’t just pass by such a cute damsel in distress without helping her in some way. What kind of knight in shining armor would that make me?” he replied in a deep voice.

You slightly giggled in response. That was when you noticed he was wearing your school’s uniform and you began to mentally sift through all of the faces that you could remember from your yearbook. You failed at coming up with a name for him and so you politely asked him if he was new.

“Yeah, I just transferred here at the beginning of the semester. I am still learning my way around. I was actually supposed to be heading to the gym, but I think I took a wrong turn and now I’m lost.” He rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment as he said this.

Your mouth dropped open in shock. He really must be bad with directions. The gym was on the first floor in the western wing of the school, and you were currently on the third floor in the eastern wing. You began to laugh, and his face brightened into a cute shade of red, only making you laugh harder.

“Let me gather the rest of these books and then I will be your official tour guide. It’s in the same direction that I was already heading, so it won’t be too far out of my way.” You told him, a bright smile on your face. He agreed and helped you to gather the rest of the books. When you finished piling the books on top of one another, he took the whole pile out of your hands.

“Lead the way, Miss Tour Guide.”

You smothered another giggle and began to walk ahead of him. You informed him of the different areas as you passed by them. Eventually, you reached the gym. He returned the books to your arms and gave you a smile. As you turned around to leave, you remembered that he hadn’t told you his name. You quickly whirled back around and called out to him, stopping him just before he walked through the gym door.

“Um, could you tell me you name?”

He gave you a broad smile.

“Just call me your knight in shining armor, Miss Tour Guide.” He responded. With that, he turned around and headed right through the door. You blushed at his answer, and began to walk back to your original destination, wondering when you would see the handsome guy again.

…………..

“Oppa!” You called out loudly. When you saw that you had his attention, you immediately ran towards him and jumped into his arms. You both began to laugh as he twirled you around in his arms. It had been awhile since you had been able to see him. The two of you had been dating for six years now, and despite the fact that you were both busy getting yourselves established in your area of work (you = a journalist still at the bottom of the food-chain, him = newly famous singer), you both tried your hardest to meet whenever it was possible. It had become increasingly difficult nowadays due to his schedule beginning to pick up as he was gaining more fame and because you had started to get more and more assignments from your boss.

After he placed you back onto the ground, you slipped your hand into his and held onto it tightly, enjoying the feeling of his body heat mingling with yours. You both started walking in the direction of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter