2/3

If You Were Never in EXO

tumblr_mwqdurCxkd1r0bekqo4_250.giftumblr_mwqdurCxkd1r0bekqo2_250.giftumblr_mwqdurCxkd1r0bekqo6_250.gif

            Sehun felt the blankets being pulled away from him and he yanked them back angrily. 

            “Sehun?”

            Sehun heard the familiar voice and shot out of bed.  He saw Suho looking back at him and quickly grabbed the leader into a tight hug, “Hyung, you have no idea how happy I am to see you,” Sehun laughed, “I’m actually happy to see you!  Can you believe that?” He held Suho at arm’s length to inspect him.  He looked skinnier; his hair was a bit longer and not styled at all.  He looked somewhat hesitant and scared, probably because he was afraid of Sehun’s wrath.

            Sehun punched Suho across the arm making the leader flinch.

            “Did you really have to make everyone play along with your joke?  Really, hyung?”

            Suho frowned at him, “Um…Sehun.  I don’t know what you’re talking about.  Um…I?” Suho looked around confusedly, “I don’t know why I’m here actually.  Luhan hyung called me earlier and said that I should talk to you?”

            “Hyung, stop playing around.  I learned my lesson already.” Sehun fell back onto his bed.  He felt relieved, like a weight was lifted.  Suho was here. 

            There was a silence; Sehun looked over to where Suho had been and realized that he was gone.  But just as quickly as he noticed the disappearance, the door was opened and Suho was being pushed through the door. 

            “I don’t know what to say,” Suho had a panicked expression on his face.

            “Just talk to him,” Sehun heard Luhan command and Suho turned back to Sehun and gave a nervous laugh.  The door closed shut behind him. 

            “Hyung,” Sehun got up nervously.

            “Um…I’m sorry Sehun.  I don’t know why you keep thinking I’m EXO’s…leader?  Um…that’s what Luhan hyung told me.  Uh…they’re worried about you,” Suho said awkwardly. 

            Sehun realized with a pain that this wasn’t his Suho.  His Suho was awkward but not like this.  His leader knew how to comfort people when they were freaking out.  He knew what to say.  This Suho wasn’t him.

            “Hyung, do you hate me?” Sehun asked silently.

            “Um…No!” Suho quickly walked over to Sehun and brought the boy into his arms.  Sehun was being embraced and tears fell from his eyes unwillingly because he was so damn confused. He missed his old life when he would argue with Suho all the time; he actually missed his Suho. 

            “I don’t hate you,” Suho said in a loud voice, “I just…we’re not that close.  I mean,” Suho pushed Sehun away just enough to see Sehun.  He slowly wiped away the younger’s tears, “I admire you Sehun and I adore you like all my dongsaengs.  But we were never really friends, you know?”  

            “Hyung, you are the leader of EXO,” Sehun insisted.  He grabbed onto Suho’s shirt as he looked into his hyung’s eyes, “Just…something happened and it’s all wrong.  Please believe me.”

            Suho looked at him with sad eyes, “I believe you.”

 

            “So Junmyeon hyung…he’s still a trainee?” Sehun asked to no one in particular as they all took a break from dance rehearsals. 

            It was strange because nothing was different.  He had the same memories with all the members, they all looked the same, and they had all the same experiences together.  There were only two slight differences:  EXO K was composed of all the Korean members including Minseok and Jongdae while EXO M had the four Chinese members…and Suho wasn’t there. 

            “Yeah,” Chanyeol said sadly, “He probably deserves this more than us.  He’s been working so hard and then people like us come in here and we get to debut.”

            “But what happened?” Sehun asked.

            “What do you mean?” Baekhyun sat down beside Sehun and handed him a water bottle, “SM thinks that Suho needs to improve on his singing and dancing.”

            Chen sat down, quickly dragging Xiumin beside him, “I heard that they can’t debut him because they think he has no talent.”

            Sehun’s mouth dropped when he heard Chen say that because his words sounded eerily familiar. 

            “What are you talking about?  Junmyeon hyung has talent!  He’s a great leader!  Caring and protective! He can sing!  He has a great voice! He tries the hardest!  Harder than all of us!”

            “We know that, Sehun.  We aren’t saying that he has no talent,” Xiumin was patting his back softly; “We’re just saying what we’ve heard.  You know we want him to debut.”

           

            It was towards the end of practice when the door opened and someone poked their head in.

            “Junmyeon!” Yixing exclaimed. 

            “Hey guys,” Suho walked in and quickly bowed to everyone.  Sehun felt weird as he saw his hyung bow. 

            “Are you guys almost done?”

            “We’re just finishing up,” Kris nodded curtly at Suho. 

            “Okay…um…I’ll come back in a few minutes.”  Suho awkwardly waved at everyone as he made his way out the door. 

            “Okay let’s finish this song without mistakes and then we’ll end it for the day,” Kris said as soon as the door closed. 

            Sehun never tried harder to finish the song without mistakes.  They finished after two tries and quickly went their separate ways to get ready to leave.   

            Suho entered the room again and walked slowly towards Sehun.

            “Hi,” Suho waved at Sehun.  Sehun waved back awkwardly; he was still hoping that he’d wake up from this nightmare.  He swore if he did, he would never act like a brat again. 

            “Um I was wondering if you were okay.” Suho looked into Sehun’s eyes. 

            It was so typical of Suho to do this.  To worry about someone he hardly knew, because apparently they weren’t close in this world. 

            Sehun didn’t know what to say.  He wasn’t okay.  But what could he do?  Each time he tried to explain that Suho was the leader, everyone looked at him like he was crazy.  He was beginning to believe that he’d been living a lie for all of his EXO life up until now. 

            “You want to get some bubble tea?  I’ll treat you,” Suho grabbed Sehun by the arm and steered him toward the door. 

 

            “Can I have your autograph?” Sehun turned to the fourth person today to ask for his autograph.  He gave a weak smile and took the offered pen.  He tried to ignore Suho’s sad eyes. 

            “I’m really sorry about that,” Sehun began.  He could hear a camera flash somewhere in the shop.

            “No. Don’t be,” Suho said bitterly, “That’s what happens when you become famous.”

            He raised his bubble tea, “How’s your drink?”

            “Good,” Sehun stated.  They were in Cofioca, where SM artists always went for bubble tea.  The old lady who managed the store was the same and the store itself was the same.  Even the taste of his favorite bubble tea was the same: disgustingly sweet and to die for.  But it didn’t bring him the usual joy.  Because when Sehun looked over at Suho, he couldn’t feel happy. 

            “What happened, hyung?”

            Suho raised an eyebrow. 

            “Why didn’t you debut with us?”

            Suho stiffened in his seat, “Why are you asking me that?  I don’t know why I didn’t debut with you.  I wasn’t even considered.  So let’s just stop with you asking me questions like this.” Suho slapped his cup on the table and stood up.  There were some disapproving murmurs from the girls sitting in the corner; they sent murderous glares at Suho. 

            “Sehun, I’m sorry.  Maybe you’re confused.  But…but you need to stop with this.  I’m not EXO’s leader.  I never was.  I never will be,” Suho’s eyes were sad as they stared into Sehun’s.  He then smiled, “So are you ready to go?”

 

            Sehun did all he could to find out what exactly happened.  He looked up articles on alternate realities and hoax theories and government experiments but nothing seemed plausible.  Somehow, he’d entered another world and it didn’t make sense.  Maybe he’d come to this world to change something.  Maybe he had to make Suho the leader…somehow. 

            But it didn’t seem likely. 

            A month passed by and Sehun was in an EXO that was composed of 11 members. 

            On another note he and Suho were friends.  They were close.  And Sehun didn’t hate this Suho at all.  But it just made Sehun realize that he missed his Suho even more.  This Suho was still his Suho but this one was guarded.  He was hurt and scarred.  And he wasn’t happy.  His Suho was known for his angelic smile, but this Suho didn’t always smile.  When he did, it was either fake or weak.  His genuine smiles were never as strong as his Suho’s. 

            This Suho was caring and it made Sehun miss his Suho because even though his Suho would argue with him constantly, he was always the first to apologize after a fight, even when Sehun was the one being a brat.  He was the one who put an extra blanket on Sehun while he was sleeping, even though Sehun was always complaining about it being too warm.  His Suho made sure he never missed meals and always woke up in time so he wouldn’t get scolded by the managers. 

            Whenever Sehun misbehaved, Suho would be the one who got blamed.  His Suho had to deal with taking care of EXO on top of managing their schedules.  Sehun causing troubles for the leader only added to the list of things that Suho had to deal with. 

            Sehun knew that Suho missed his family.  That’s why he had letters and pictures on his side of the room.  But because the position of leader kept Suho busy, he never had time to hang out with friends or go home like Sehun could. 

            Whenever Sehun thought about these things he couldn’t help but cry.  He’d been a brat.  He’d been a jerk to the perfect angelic leader.  And now that guy was gone. 

 

            “I hope you have fun while you’re in New York,” Suho was sitting beside Sehun with their backs to the mirrors in the SM dance practice room.  The signature blue clouds were on the opposite side of the wall. 

            “You mean SM town?” Sehun took a gulp of water from his bottle.

            “Yeah.  There’s so much to do,” Suho looked away, “I promised Kyungsoo we’d go to New York if we debuted together.  I…uh.”

            “You’ll debut soon, hyung,” Sehun reassured his hyung. 

            Suho turned to him with sad eyes, “I’m not going to, Sehun.”  He scratched at the back of his head, “I…uh.  I decided I’m going to quit.  I’m going to go back home, back to school.  Maybe I’ll become a teacher or something stupid like that.  I don’t belong here,” Suho let out a defeated sigh, “I’m not meant to be an idol.”

            “What are you talking about?” Sehun stood up and Suho had to look up at him as he stood above his hyung, “You are meant to!  You’re a leader!”

            “Jesus, I thought you promised to not mention this again.”

            “Hyung, you can’t give up that easily.  You…if you go back home, what will happen?” Sehun was frantically trying to comprehend the situation.  If Suho left, then that would really mean he’d be stuck in this world.  He didn’t know what he was really expecting.  He’d been living in this life for a month already and it didn’t seem like things would change.  But Suho was the one thing of his old life that he wanted to hold on to.  And now he wanted to go? 

            “We can still talk if you want.  I have a lot of friends here; I’ll still stop by.  I’m just giving up as a trainee, that’s all.”

            “Don’t give up!” Sehun exclaimed. 

            “You’re the only who believes in me Sehun,” Suho smiled bitterly, “You’re a sweet kid.”

            “No! Everyone believes in you, hyung!” Sehun argued.

            “I’ve made my decision, Sehun,” Suho said firmly, “I’ve already told the company.  I’m not a trainee at SM anymore.  I just wanted to tell you before I go back home.”

            “No.  No. This is all wrong,” Sehun was grabbing at his head as he started to think. 

            “Sehun, it’s okay,” Sehun felt arms hug him and he leaned into the touch. 

            “I wish things would go back to the way they were.” 

 

            It was hard to maintain a friendship when Sehun was busy with idol life.  Suho was now attending Yonsei University and his school life was quite busy as well. He was the model student: president of his graduating class, president of various clubs and he was also in two campus acapella groups. 

            It was still hard for Sehun to accept this life without Suho sleeping in the bed beside him, but he was forced to adapt to the new circumstances. 

            “Hyung, we have a concert coming up,” Sehun said over the phone. 

            “I know.  Kyungsoo told me earlier,” Sehun could hear some people talking on Suho’s side of the phone. 

            “Can you come?”

            “I have a concert that day for my acapella group.  I can’t Sehun; I’m sorry.”

            “Hey, hang up the phone!” Sehun heard someone say to Suho.

            “Look Sehun.  I have to go.  I shouldn’t be taking calls right now.” 

            And then there was a silence. 

 

It was sometime after they finished the last leg of the SM Family concert, that Sehun saw Suho again.  He arrived at his hyung’s dorm door; Suho was surprised to see him there.

            “Sehun?”

            “Hyung!” Sehun threw himself at Suho and inhaled his hyung’s scent. 

            There were no words to describe how much he missed Suho while they were away.  It was strange hearing Baekhyun introducing them as EXO and thanking the crowd.  Baekhyun was good at speaking, but it wasn’t the same.  He was more like the crowd pleaser and jokester.  He wasn’t meant to be a leader.  And Kris….Kris would speak in English and it was just horrible.  But no changes there. 

            “How was the concert?” Suho asked when Sehun let go.

            “It was okay.  I have so much to tell you and ----“ Sehun stopped when he saw another guy stand behind Suho.

            “Oh,” Suho turned around when Sehun stopped mid-sentence, “Sehun this is my best friend, Hongduk.” 

            Sehun frowned. 

            “Who?” he asked bluntly.

            Suho laughed, “I never mentioned him before? We’ve been friends since middle school.”

            Sehun’s eyes narrowed at the guy.

            Hongduk felt the hostility burning off of Sehun and patted Suho’s back.  He immediately took his hand off when Sehun’s eyes narrowed even more. 

            “Um…I need to get some things done before dinner.  I’ll see you later.”

            Sehun visibly brightened when Hongduk left.  He grabbed his hyung’s hand and pushed him into the dorm.

“Hyung, next week EXO are going to have a break.  I’m going to go back home.  I want you to come with me!”

            Suho’s smile turned slightly into a frown, “That’s great, Sehun.  I wish I could…but I have this big concert coming up.  I’ll be practicing all week.”

            “Can’t you do that later? Isn’t that concert in three weeks?  I just want you to visit me,” Sehun whined.  He didn’t get why Suho needed to practice; he was a great singer.  And the concert wasn’t even close; the older had plenty of time to practice.      

            “I don’t want to mess up,” Suho went over to his desk and sat down.

            “But…”

            “I’m sorry, Sehun.  But try to relax when you’re back home, okay.”

 

            Sehun snuck out of the dorm the day of Suho’s concert. 

            Suho’s acapella group was completely different than normal singing groups and Suho showcased more of his vocal talent when he was doing acapella. Throughout the performance, Sehun was in awe.  How could SM let this guy go in the first place?  His voice was perfect, flawless.

            “Sehun?” Suho’s mouth fell open when he saw the younger come up to him holding a bouquet of roses in his hand.

            “What is this?” Suho grabbed the roses and hugged the younger to him, “You came all the way here to see me?”

            “Yeah,” Sehun blushed, “I missed you.”

            “That’s sweet, Sehun,” Suho smiled, “When do you need to get back?”

            “Oh…whenever I guess.” 

            “You snuck out, didn’t you?” Suho scolded Sehun but there was a grin on his face, “You must give Baekhyun hell all the time.”

            “I really don’t!” Sehun argued. 

            Suho laughed, “I believe you.  Hey, there are a few parties going on tonight.  Wanna go?”

            “If you’re going.”

            “Great,” Suho smiled and Sehun temporarily froze because there it was: Suho’s angelic, genuine smile, “Let’s just get back to my dorm so I can change.” 

            When they reached the dorm, Sehun looked around the room.  Suho had pictures all over his side of the room which was immaculately clean.  It reminded Sehun of his Suho. 

            His eyes stopped when they spotted a familiar DVD case.  Sehun went over to pick it up: Pirates of the Caribbean.  He remembered how many times Suho would watch the movie in their pre-debut days and then after their debut days.  Once, Sehun was so angry at Suho, he hid the movie.  Suho retaliated by upturning Sehun’s side of the room and then throwing his caps out of the window.  Sehun opened the DVD case and his hand froze.  There was a huge X on the DVD. 

           When Suho threw his favorite cap out the window, Sehun admitted defeat.  Sehun gave Suho his DVD back, but not before scratching a giant X on the actual DVD in hopes of damaging it.

            “Hyung?”

            Suho came out, not wearing anything but pants as he eyed Sehun, “What?”

            “Why is there an X here?” Sehun asked shakily. 

            “Oh that?  I don’t know.  It’s been so long ago,” Suho walked over to him to look at it, “Oh wait,” he hit his forehead, “How can I forget?  My older brother did it.  We were in this huge fight.  That’s’ when he did this.”  Suho threw on a shirt. 

            Sehun froze with the hand on the DVD.

“Is something wrong?” Suho sat down beside him and gently grabbed the DVD out of his hands.  Sehun quickly grabbed Suho’s hand, “Can we stay in and watch this instead?”

            The question surprised Suho but he smiled, “Yeah I love this movie,” he grabbed the DVD and headed towards the DVD player, “I have to warn you; there are some scenes that won’t come out.”

            Sehun gave a small smile and whispered, “I know.”

The two stayed in the whole night and watched all three movies. Throughout the movies, Sehun couldn’t focus.  He kept turning his head to look at Suho who was talking enthusiastically, giving his own commentary of the movie.  Half the time he was saying the lines along with the actors.

            Once the credits to the last movie rolled, Suho turned to him, “Well I think you need to get back so I’ll---“ his words were stopped when Sehun threw his arms around Suho’s neck and buried his face in the older’s chest. 

            “Sehun?” Sehun felt Suho’s hands pat his head and he just nuzzled further into Suho’s chest and inhaled. 

            “I don’t want to go.”

            “But you have to.”   

 

           “Hey,” Sehun said as way of greeting as he sat down next to Suho in his dressing room.  Suho just finished his own solo concert complete with standing ovations and calls for encore. 

            “What’s with that smug look?” Suho eyed him.

            “Well I just saw those talent scouts talking to you.”

            Suho stiffened.

            “Cube and SM!  They asked you to join their company, right?  And SM probably apologized for being an idiot and not debuting you when you were a trainee.

            “We’re not talking about this,” Suho said angrily.

            “Come on hyung!  They begged you to work for them!”

            “I’m not going to go through that again!” Suho shouted at Sehun.  His face quickly softened to an apologetic one, “I wasted so much of my time under SM, Sehun.  You know that.  I can’t go through that again.”

            “But being an idol is your dream.”

            “It was my dream,” Suho looked over at him sadly, “A child’s dream.  It seemed possible back then, but I don’t know,” Suho threw his tie on the counter in front of the mirror. “I don’t want to be a trainee again.” 

 

            It was strange because Suho stopped coming to visit him at SM. 

            And whenever they met, they never talked about EXO or anything to do with SM.  Whenever Sehun brought up one of the two Suho would become rigid and stay silent for a good 5 minutes. 

            At times like these Sehun was worried that he wouldn’t have anything to say to Suho anymore.  Suho was living a life without him; he had new friends now and new interests. Sehun just had EXO. 

            But Sehun refused to let Suho drift away from him.  If anything, he tried to hold on even more. 

            Instead of Suho visiting Sehun, Sehun would visit Suho whenever he had free time.  He wanted to become a permanent part of this Suho’s life.  So Sehun would call Suho every night and text him every day.  He would make Suho tell him about his day and wouldn’t allow the older to study or do his homework until they talked for at least an hour. 

 

            Somewhere along the way, Sehun’s feeling for Suho evolved into something more.  He not only missed Suho and wanted him.  He wanted Suho to only worry about him, only want to be with him too.  He liked Suho…in the like like kind of way. 

            Maybe Suho felt the same way; it was hard for Sehun to tell. 

            The older didn’t object whenever Sehun showed up at his dorm unexpectedly or when the younger dragged him to stupid places at weird times of the day.  He never objected anymore when Sehun declared he would sleep over.  He didn’t object when Sehun slid into his bed at night during the sleep over.  And he was the one who hugged Sehun in bed and made breakfast for Sehun in the morning.  He was the one who made sure Sehun was in a taxi back to the dorms in time for his schedule.  In a way this Suho was fulfilling the role of his Suho.   

            “You know you can’t just show up here all the time,” Suho said as he opened the door for Sehun to come in.

            “I’ve had a tiring day,” Sehun dropped onto Suho’s bed.  Suho sat down beside Sehun and combed his hand through Sehun’s hair, massaging Sehun’s scalp. 

            “You’re having a comeback soon, right?”

            “Yeah.  It’s so frustrating.  The dance is obviously meant for 12.  We can’t do it with 11 people.”

            Suho heaved a sigh as he fell down beside Sehun on the bed.

             “You guys will figure it out.  You always do,” Suho got up and went over to his desk. 

            Sehun got up, “Do you have a lot of homework?”

            “Something like that,” Suho muttered.  He took the papers that were scattered on his desk and quickly stuffed them into his desk.      

           

            It’d been 6 months since the change.  Sehun gave up hope at reclaiming his old life.  In a way it was okay.  His relationship with Suho in this world was much better than his relationship with Suho in his life.  That Suho probably hated his guts.  But this Suho actually listened to his problems and sympathized with him when he complained about how the other members were being too harsh on him.  This Suho could play favorites, but for some reason when it came to Kyungsoo, Sehun would always lose. 

            However, Sehun would still trade this Suho for his.  He missed his old life.  He wanted to fix things that happened with his Suho and it was a pain to think that he never would. 

            “The stars are out tonight,” Sehun looked up at the sky. It was a bit chilly.  He and Suho were both sharing a blanket near the Han River. 

            “Yeah,” Suho looked up at the sky. 

            “Why did you want to come here?” Sehun eyed his hyung who looked nervous.  It reminded him of when he first met this Suho. 

            “I heard there might be a meteor shower tonight,” Suho shrugged. 

            Sehun looked up at the sky and let a comfortable silence fall between them. 

           “Sehun,” Suho grabbed his hand gently to get his attention.  Sehun turned his head.  Suho took a deep breath, “I’ve decided to study abroad next semester.” 

            “Huh?” Did he hear correctly? 

            “I’ve applied to a couple of places.  London, Australia, and USA.  I’m hoping to go to USA though.  I haven’t heard back from any of the schools yet.  But if I do get accepted I’m going to be gone for next semester.  I want you to support me, Sehun.”

            “I…uh,” Sehun didn’t support it.  He didn’t support it one bit, “Of course I do, hyung.”

            Suho smiled at him, “That’s great, Sehun.  I kind of thought you wouldn’t.  There’s something about you,” Suho laid on the ground with his hands behind his head, “It’s like you can’t let go of something.  I’m glad that you’re okay with it.”

            Sehun swallowed as he lay on the ground as well.  He didn’t trust himself to speak, so he just settled for saying nothing.  Unconsciously. his hand reached out for Suho’s and he felt Suho grasp onto his hand. 

            It was a few minutes before Sehun realized Suho was saying something.  He was pointing at something in the sky. 

            “Make a wish, Sehun!  It looks like a shooting star.”

            Sehun laughed.  It looked like a satellite, but he made a wish nonetheless.  If he wished hard enough, maybe it would come true.    

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Holy Crap! I don't even know how I got this many subscribers and upvotes just by posting the first chapter! And Suho was barely in it!!! I'm really confused.  

I just hope I'm not raising your hopes because I don't want to disappoint either of you guys either!  haha so now I'm a bit nervous.  haha 

(in the first gif Kai motions for Sehun to come closer but Sehun goes over to Suho)