Final

Just Stay

“Wahhhhh… I’m so tired. Minnie! Thanks for waiting with me,” Ahyeon said.

“No problem,” Jimin gave her a small smile as a reply.

Jimin and Ahyeon have been the best of friends ever since the first year of high school. She knew that he used to have a crush on her back in first and second year. He vowed to get over her but ever since then he only hid his feelings for her. Now in their final year of high school, he was determined to ask her out for prom. Having him as a date but he soon found out during spring break of second year that she was seeing someone… someone that wasn’t him.

Flashback to spring

It was an amazing day. The scenery in the park near school was pleasant. It was their usual hangout, Jimin called Ahyeon out to just spend their last few days of spring break together before the torture of school commence.

“Ya!!!!!!” Ahyeon charged towards Jimin and crashed into a hug upon, “I’ve missed you, Minnie! Where were you this entire spring break?”

“Ahyeon, mian~ I was in Japan with my mom. She dragged me along with her as dad couldn’t go with her. So I was the next best option,” Jimin apologised.

“Anyways, at least you’re back now! Why didn’t you even bothered to call?” Ahyeon pouted which made Jimin chuckle at her aegyo. He loved it each time she used aegyo at him. He felt… special because it’s rare for her to use aegyo.

Just then, Ahyeon’s phone rang. She turned to Jimin and said, “Minnie, mian. I have to take this. Kidarilkke~” Jimin nodded as Ahyeon picked up the phone call. Little did he know that it was her boyfriend. He observed her facial expression and that caret smile that makes her eyes invisible the higher tries to reach to her ears.

Just then, she hung up and went back to Jimin. “Who was that?” Jimin asked in curiosity.

“That’s what I want to talk to you about,” she sighed before continuing, “How do you feel about me dating?”

His eyes widened at the question, he stuttered, “W-w-well… I think that if he makes you happy, t-then why not?”

“Even if it means that he’s Jungkook?” She asked, anticipating for his reply.

Jimin was deep in thought, ‘Jungkook? Isn’t he like a year younger than Ahyeon? Sure, I’m like 4 months older than Ahyeon but he’s like a year and a half younger! Isn’t it weird?’

“No it isn’t. Age is just a number,” Jimin slapped his forehead as he knew that he blurted out that he’s a year and a half younger.

“Well, are you dating him now?” Jimin asked and he was serious. She took a while to answer him, hoping that she doesn’t hurt his feelings in any way as things like this is awkward for them. She still could remember that she rejected him twice. One in first year and the second was in that same year but before summer break. She needed his opinion about her dating as his opinion is important.

“Yes,” she sighing before blurting that out. All he could do was nod at her, not knowing how to respond.

“You say that I’m your best friend… But the most important thing would be your feelings,” Jimin replied though he’s hurting inside. He suppressed the tears that was dangerously coming out.

“Thanks Minnie,” Ahyeon gave him the biggest caret smile. His heart was at ease for a second then it began to hurt again. For one thing, that is because he is not the reason behind that smile.

Present

“Sooooo… Why couldn’t your ‘kookie’ come with you today?” Jimin said bitterly though she didn’t catch the bitterness behind his speech.

“Kookie is busy today. He has club activities.”

“So why me?” Jimin asked, hoping to get the answer he wanted. “Why not? I felt bad that I’ve been ignoring you cause most of my attention has gone to Jungkook. I didn’t want you to think that I’m the type of friend who would push her friends aside because I want to be with my boyfriend all the time. Don’t you want to hang out with me?” Ahyeon pouted.

He smiled sincerely as he missed seeing her aegyo, “Ya ya ya! If you think that works on Jung kook, it’ll work on me. Well, you thought wrong. I’m not weak like your boyfriend.”

“Well, you have to admit it. It worked the previous time. And you missed it, don’t you?”

“Ew no! And plus, it’s annoying. I’m just glad that you’re not doing that to me anymore,” Jimin said although what he wanted to say was, ‘Yes, I missed it a lot. Why can’t it be just for me? Why can’t you see me as anything more than your best friend?’

Both of them headed to an audio store where Ahyeon wanted to buy a 2AM album, Nocturne. He knew it was her favourite group. She loved ballads and how their harmony was perfect. She listened to every single song including their covers. Just then, her phone rang. Jimin sighed, ‘Must be him again. Maybe I’m wrong. It maybe just my jealousy that wants the happiness for you. If not, then it’s okay even if it’s not me.’ He thought as he observed her.

Everyday felt like torture to him. Jungkook, Jungkook and Jungkook was all he could hear from your mouth. It’s not like they’re in bad terms. They are good friends. Jungkook trusted him as much as Ahyeon did. Both of them even hung out in order to get to know each other well. He likes Jungkook but he didn’t like the fact that he’s a step ahead of him. And now she’s even taking him to prom. The plan he had for his entire school year was ruined.

“Hello, kookie?” Ahyeon said to the phone.

“Hey, cutie. I see you’re having fun,” The man on the other line replied.

“No I’m not. I bet you’re having more fun than I am,” she pouted.

“Really? You seem to be smiling. Your cheeks are going to reach the heavens soon. For someone with big eyes, how is it possible to make them invisible just by smiling? I can’t even see your eyes right now,” that shocked Ahyeon. How did he know that she’s smiling right now? Could it possibly be that he’s right there too? Ahyeon pulled away from her phone and started looking around. Jimin noticed her looking, looking for someone. He started scanning the entire shop together with her. Wondering who is she searching for. His gaze stopped at a familiar figure. Ahyeon followed his gaze and was shocked upon what who she saw. It was Jungkook! She charged towards him and nudged his head.

“Ouch! Noona neomu apa!” The younger boy pouted.

“Serves you right for not telling me that you’re here,” Ahyeon stuck out her tongue.

Jungkook pulled her into a tight hug, “I miss you.”

Jimin gave a bitter chuckle and said, “You just saw each other a few hours ago and you already miss her? What about me? She hasn’t hung out with me for months.”

“Tch. Hyung, fall in love then you’ll know what I mean.” Jungkook stated. “Yea, Minnie. You have to be in love to know what it feels like.”

“I am well aware of that but you don’t have to be so cheesy about it,” Jimin walked off from the scene.

Jungkook broke the hug and commanded, “Wait here.” He ran towards Jimin who appears to be angry in Jungkook’s sight. He knows. Even if Ahyeon didn’t understand his bitterness. The only one who understood it all, the one who actually saw through him was none other than Jungkook.

When he finally kept up with his pace, he tapped him on the shoulder. Causing Jimin to turn around and face him. He glared back at him, knowing that he can’t hide it. Cause only a man can read another man like a book.

“Look, I’m sorry if I took her away again. I know that I take like 90% of her attention and you’re always the second option. I just want us to be cool with one another. Think about her feelings. I know you can’t stand me being her-”

“Look, Jungkook. I know where you’re getting at. I can assure you that what I felt for her is in the past. Don’t you trust me?”

“Yes, hyung. I do. Just as much as she trust you, hyung. I don’t want to feel like you’re so bitter towards me.”

“Then I’m the one who should apologise for being bitter. I guess it’s a habit.”

“Hey, I have to go now. I’m currently planning for our anniversary. Coming here to surprise her was part of the plan. See you soon hyung.”

Jimin sighed and walked back to Ahyeon. She was shocked to see Jimin, alone. Looked behind him only to be disappointed.

“I know you’re looking for him but he has to go home and cook some dinner for his mother. You know how much he loves his mother.” Jimin said, though it wasn’t his best excuse yet. “C’mon, let’s have that CD paid so we can leave.”

Ahyeon paid for her CD and soon the both of them left. Jimin’s cellphone vibrated, Ahyeon could only turn to him. She grinned for a moment and said, “Who’s that? A girl?”

He shook his head and said, “Nope. It’s just Taehyung. He says he wants me to go to some book café to pick up something. Mind if we head there?”

Ahyeon nodded as he led her to the book café. Little did she know that Jimin is actually helping Jungkook despite his heart hesitating him to do so. Jimin knew better than to be hostile towards Jungkook. He knew how much the younger one respected him. He didn’t have a choice and helped him out. As soon as Ahyeon realises that she’s unsure of the place, she turned to Jimin in doubt.

“Ah, we’re here. Sit down while I look for Taehyung.” Ahyeon obeyed and took a seat near the stage. It was open mike night in the café. The lights dimmed as it was about to start. The MC, Jung Hosuk, came up to the stage and introduced himself as J-Hope.

Ahyeon watched all the performance with her full attention. Forgetting the reason why she’s there, she didn’t bother wondering where Jimin is as she is enjoying herself. Then the final performer came, her jaws dropped. It was Jungkook. He sat on the stool on stage with his guitar. He performed SHINee’s Replay. Tears started filling Ahyeon’s eyes as she’s touched with his performance.

Later, he took a boutique of roses and walked up to her. Grinning, he said, “Noona, Ahyeon-ah, happy anniversary!”

“You planned it with Jimin, didn’t you?”

“Heh. It was kind of last minute. I didn’t expected you to be with him this afternoon but still, he did help to stall you the entire day. There’s another thing. Look behind you,” Ahyeon followed Jungkook’s gaze. It was Jimin holding up a sign that says, ‘Prom?’

She nodded her head continuously pulling him into a tight hug. Jimin gave a small smile at the couple right in front of him. He gave the younger one a thumbs up and took his bag. Slowly, leaving the café. He sighed as he left the café.

“You say that I’m your best friend but the most important thing would be your feelings.”