Resolution

Reuniting Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kwang Soo tossed in bed, unable to fall asleep, a cocktail of powerful emotions ran through him. After almost two weeks of sleeping on the sofa bed in the living room, he had a comfy bed and room to himself, yet sleep eluded him. Frustrated, he sat up with a growl. Running his hand through his messy hair, he threw aside the blanket. Getting out of bed, he made his way down to the kitchen.

 

Opening the fridge, he was about to pour a glass of milk for himself when he spied the opened bottle of soju. He didn't usually drink, but for some reason, he felt like it tonight. Grabbing it, he chugged what remained in the bottle, ignoring the pungent rubbing-alcohol smell of the drink. Wincing as the clear colourless liquid burned a path down his throat.

 

“As a Korean, you should know that's not how soju is drunk... Or have you left Korea for so long now, that you have forgotten how to drink soju correctly.” A soft voice called out from behind him.

 

Kwang Soo spun around to face Ji Hyo. The moonlight cast an unearthly glow on her face, highlighting her features, including the amused smile she had kissing her lips. He stared stupidly back at the bottle before setting it down on the counter top and rubbing the back of his neck, abashed. “I err... I couldn't sleep.” He admitted quietly.

 

“Yeah... I figured.” She acknowledged.

 

He stared at her, concerned. “So, I guess the talk with Mr Baek went well?” He asked.

 

Ji Hyo shared the details of the talk she had with her husband with him. “I'm glad that Chang Joo is finally coming round. It's making Hyo Joo very happy. But it–”

 

“Noona, maybe you shouldn't file for a divorce.” Kwang Soo cut her off gently, but quickly. Afraid that if he waited, he would lose the courage to say what he wanted. “The main reason why you wanted the divorce was for Hyo Joo's happiness. Because Mr Baek's lack of affection was upsetting her. But if he can rectify it... perhaps you should give him a chance?” He continued, buoyed by the alcohol in his system.

 

There was a pregnant pause as Ji Hyo took in what he had suggested. “I love you. And I've come to love Hyo Joo too. I only want what would make you two happy. The divorce might upset her, especially now that he is trying.” Kwang Soo added gently.

 

“And what about you?” She whispered.

 

“Nothing would make me happier than to see you happy... even if I am not a part of your happiness.” He said softly, fighting back against the sudden lump that had formed in his throat, choking back on unshed tears. His eyes reflected his pain with his honesty.

 

Ji Hyo's initial sorrow gave way to a sudden spark of irritation that came to life within her. Who was he to suggest what she should or should not do? This was something between Chang Joo and herself. It was of little or no concern to Kwang Soo what her decision might be. She was a grown woman. Was she incapable of making decisions herself? Did he not respect her enough to make the right one? Feeling slighted, she turned to Kwang Soo, piqued. “I've already served Chang Joo the papers. But I will see what he says.” She told him curtly. “It's late. I should head back to bed. You should try to get some rest too. Good night, Kwang Soo.” She said.

 

Looking over at the tall man, noting the cheerless expression on his face. She realised then that it hadn't been easy on him, and that he wasn't disrespecting her. Rather, it was quite the opposite. He respected her, her marriage, her family. It was in his very character, in his giving and selfless love for her.

 

Pabo! That self-sacrificing fool. Why does he have to be so noble?

 

Softening, she reached out and gently ran her hand over his arm apologetically, silently apologising for snapping at him before turning and leaving the kitchen.

 

 

Chang Joo sprang from the veiled shadows and dashed up the stairs. He had heard everything and felt a stab of guilt. Guilt that the younger man loved his wife and his child so much that he was willing to sacrifice his own happiness for them.

 

Prior to intruding on the pair's conversation, he had been laying in bed, deep in his thoughts, when he heard the sound of a door closing in the hallway. Moments later, he felt the bed dip as Ji Hyo got off and crept out of the room. Curious, he had followed after her and listened in on their conversation.

 

Bolting back into bed, Chang Joo hastily threw the blanket over himself. Closing his eyes, he feigned sleep. He heard the door to the room open and closed softly. Cracking open an eye, he watched as Ji Hyo sat on the edge of the bed. A soft, affectionate smile played on her face as she lovingly their daughter's head, brushing back the little girl's hair. He saw her glance in his direction, before reaching over, and grabbing the pillow she had been using earlier. Setting it on the floor next to Hyo Joo, she proceeded to lay down on the carpeted floor. She was refusing any physical contact with him. It was an outright rejection. It stung, and he felt somewhat saddened by the fact, but knew that he couldn't blame her.

 

As much as she played a role in the breakdown of the marriage, he was largely responsible for it as well. Perhaps more so, due to his infidelity. And his lack of sensitivity to their child's feelings, which was probably what led Ji Hyo to become estranged from him.

 

She had given much up to care for their child. Ji Hyo had always been focused on her career and had an ambitious streak, a fact that Chang Joo knew. She had had plenty of offers post Running Man and was at the height of her popularity. However, she gave up many offers of leading roles after Hyo Joo’s birth and contented herself by playing minor supporting roles so that she wouldn't need to spend long hours on set, and could spend more time with their daughter.

 

Ji Hyo had given it all up to care for Hyo Joo, sacrificing her career for her child. Yet, what had he given up? Chang Joo started to question himself. His life, post marriage had pretty much been the same as before. He went to work and came home. Never spending a moment of his free time to connect or engage with Hyo Joo. Now that he thought about it, he never once accompanied a pregnant Ji Hyo to any of her doctor's appointments either, even when he had time. Had he shown any emotional support? Had he truly played the role of a father or a husband? Or was he, as Ji Hyo once suggested, just a donor? He began to see why she would call him that. 

 

He winced, remembering the only contact he had with her was almost always ual. When he wanted . She often obliged him, and had pleasured him on numerous occasions by giving him s or s. But she never allowed him to touch her, especially after Hyo Joo was born.

 

Looking down, he stared sadly at the sleeping woman, noting the faint lines that had begun appearing around her eyes. When had they started appearing? She had gotten older without him realising it. Had he paid so little attention to her? To their daughter? He started to understand Ji Hyo's actions now. His distant attitude had hurt Hyo Joo so much, that she was afraid that if she had another child, she would be subjecting the child to the same thing. Knowing Ji Hyo, she wouldn't want that. He must've disappointed her.

 

He reflected upon how he had her in a fit of anger. Seeing the postcards that Kwang Soo had sent her, brought about a sense of possessiveness. It created insecurity and an inferiority complex, which led to the act. He realised that he was trying to compensate for his underlying feelings of inadequacy, his issue of dominance, authority and capability. The intent of the had been to assert his competency. They weren't valid reasons for the atrocity he had committed, and he felt disgusted with himself. How did he sink so low? He felt worse knowing that she never reported him, even when she went to the doctor's to get prescription for emergency contraception.

 

Chang Joo spent much of the night wrestling with his thoughts on what he should do. What should his next step be? Can they make it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter