Song Eunmi

Déjà-vu

 


 

I started dating Chanyeol two years ago. We started as friends and then our feeling for each other grow up, so we decided to give us a chance, but then we fall in love. And there we are, together for two years already.

I can describe him as a caring, sweet and attentive person. A really sincere friend too. A really supportive boyfriend if you ask me. He´s not only the person I treasure the most, he´s not only my boyfriend, but my best friend. When he smiled I do. When he laughs I do. When he feels sad I feel the same way. It´s like our feelings are connected.

We were happy together, but all started going wrong.

It all started on that Tuesday´s afternoon when we were talking in that coffee shop.

“I don’t like that friend of yours,” I said crossing my arms as I looked outside the window.

“Who are you talking about?” Chanyeol´s gaze lifted from the menu he was reading to me.

“Hyeri,” My tone was plain.

“Why? She´s nice”

I scoffed.

“She´s just nice with you because she has a crush on you. I swear if you see her when she´s alone with me or my female friends her personality turns the opposite”

At first, when we and Chanyeol talked with Hyeri I thought she was a really nice person, she was really friendly, but then when I tried to approach her, by myself, she changed. Hyeri treated me as if I were the witch from the history, as if I were the evil queen trying to destroy her happily ever after.

I tried to be friendly with her because Chanyeol told me she was nice. I believed in his words because he told me he knew her from middle school and now they met again in college. I didn’t expect her to cold with me. Why? Because I was dating the guy she had a crush on from long ago.

“Don´t try to be friendly with me” Hyeri´s gaze changed from a sweet to a cold and distant one.

My eyes widened. “What do you mean?” Where was the sweet and amiable girl Chanyeol introduced me. The girl in front of me was just another person.

She scoffed. “Come on, Song Eunmi. Can´t you guess? I don’t like you. In fact, I loathe you”

“You are judging me without even knowing me”

“So? There´s need to be a reason to explain my hate? Actually, the reason why it’s because you are dating Chanyeol”

I figured out since the beginning, when we met, Hyeri started hating me because my relationship with Chanyeol. She thought that she had a chance with him just because they met again, but Hyeri realized the guy she had a crush on was dating someone. So, she decided to loathe that person, me, without even get to know that person´s personality. Not only she treated as bad as she could, but also my close female friends. The two of them told me about it and I explained to them the situation. They advice me to tell Chanyeol and that´s what I´m doing by now.

But he didn’t believe me.

“I think just you are just jealous, Eunmi”

“Seriously, Chanyeol” I rested my back against the chair, still my arms crossed “Hyeri is not the person you think she is. She´s just trying to get closer to you and maybe ruin our relationship”

“Hyeri is a nice friend I have so please don’t judge her before even getting the chance to know her”

I scoffed. The one judging the other in this situation here is Hyeri.

“It´s just jealousy”

I slammed my hands against the table. I don’t care if the other costumers are looking at our table right now. I just don’t give a about it. If Chanyeol prefer you stick with her so called “friend” than trust me, fine. I don’t care.

“If you prefer to remind oblivious when she´s around you, fine then” My hands turned into fists ”She might portrait a caring friend in front of you, but why don’t you go around and ask the other about her, about her behavior with my friends or her classmates, then your perspective will change”

I saw how his gaze felt on the window next to us and how he shook his head and his lips form a thin line.

“Fine then, I don’t give a ”

I turned and left the coffee shop. This was our third fight, relationships also have fights, but this one was a rather serious.

After that fight, neither of us called at night to settle things. I knew he wouldn’t since he trust that so called friend of his. Actually, I don’t even know how or why he´s so attached with her, why he is so blind in front of her. Why he doesn’t see what I do.

I sighed as I rested my head against my pillow. I change my gaze towards the ceiling as soon my eyelids close.

-

The next day, at the campus, I saw Chanyeol talking normally with Hyeri, as if our conversation didn’t happen.

Hyeri noticed me and smirked. I don’t want to deal with her and her childish behavior, so I turned and left towards my classroom.

I couldn’t concentrate in class. My mind was lost somewhere. I had this bad feeling in my stomach, but I ignored it.

I ignored him during the day. I pretend I didn’t see him when I did, because it´s not my problem if he doesn’t realize the fake friend he has in front of him. He´s old enough to chose the people he wants to hang up with.

-

The next day, when I woke up, I don’t know why, but I felt dizzy. The bad feeling I had yesterday hit me once again.

When I arrived to college I saw Chanyeol in front of my classroom´s door. I gulped. How come he can look this handsome and cool just by resting his back against the door frame? I swear I heard how the girls that passed by started gossiping about his looks. But I don’t care about what they talk about. It´s not my business anyway.I´m not the type of girl who gets jealous easily.

“Eun” He´s using the nickname he has for me and it just melted me. I swear I don’t know how he does it: making me vulnerable with just calling me. “Can we talk?”

“Now? I have classes to attend” I still try to ignore him, but sometimes I feel burned by just looking at him. He´s just so cute and irresistible to ignore, but my pride is bigger.

“I know. Later.It´s important. I´ll send you a message”

Then he left, but before he disappeared he gave me the usual warm smile that I adore. I think he still cares about our relationship. I still do tough.

I´m sure Hyeri is trying to break us apart, but I won’t give up this easily. Yeol is a person who is worth fight for. He´s nice, caring, sweet, amiable, sometimes childish and of course he has imperfections, like a normal person, but I love those defects because they made him human, they make him the person he is, the sincere person he is and the one I truly adore.

The hours passed and before my last class finished I receive a message.

I looked at my phone.

Wait in your classroom. I´m coming.

-Yeol

I knew the message was from Chanyeol, so there wasn’t necessary to answer him back, just wait until he arrived.

So I waited at the door. My classmates were already gone as well as our teacher, so the only one around the hallways was me yet there were a few students around, because the next class had already started and they were inside the rooms so it wasn’t as crowed.

Soon I saw him walking from far.

When he saw me, he smiled softly. I did too.

“Hey” he greeted me. I answered a “hey” back really softly.

Chanyeol dragged me outside the college. We stop at the park near it. Sometimes after classes of before them we spent time talking there. That park brings me good memories. I remember that in that park Yeol confessed to me. I smiled with the thought.

“What did you wanted to talk about?” I asked as I sat in the bench. Chanyeol sat next to me.

He was silent for a few seconds. His gaze not leaving the floor.

“If you don’t plan to say a thing, I´ll leave” I stood up, but Chanyeol took my wrist.

“Wait. It´s just I don’t know how to say this” He was mumbling, yet I caught what he said.

He stood quiet for about a minute.

“I´m sorry.  I act really immature the other day. I just got a bit mad because you don’t like Hyeri”

“Actually, Hyeri is the one who dislikes me. I have tried to reach her, to be friends with her, but she´s just stubborn. It´s not that I dislike her or anything. It´s just she´s judging me only because I´m dating you”

“I talked with her about that. Her crush on me”

My eyes got wider.

“She didn’t deny it. She even confessed to me. I like her; I really do, but only as a friend. Because there´s someone else who got my heart” Chanyeol lifted his gaze from the table. I noticed how his cheeks suddenly got a bit red and how my heart started beating really fast. “And that´s you Eun”

I didn’t realize it, but I was already smiling. 

“Chanyeol, I´m glad you´re telling me this, but you´re still a bit oblivious of Hyeri” He looked confused. “Try to settle things with her. I´m still mad you decided to stick with her rather than me”

“I didn’t choose her over you! I just-”

“-It´s not like that” I cut him before he said something else. I had to clear up things. I had to clear up my thoughts about Hyeri with him. “You decided to believe her. You decided to blame me, saying that I was cold and distant towards her when it’s actually all the contrary. I really tried to be friendly with her, believe me, I tried to be kind, but she just detests me, because she´s obsess with her crush on you.”

Chanyeol is a caring person. Someone really likeable, but sometimes he´s just too innocent to notice the real person´s feelings. He´s like a lust puppy waiting for someone to guide him on the road. He´s just absent-minded and my friends describe me as the light of his life, as his guide. And I always tried to help him with any problem he had. Because everyone deserves a helper, a guide, and if you ask me, my guide its Chanyeol. Why? Because sometimes people needsa person who´s eyes reflected all the opposite from yours, because we need other´s perspective to realize reality and Chanyeol´s perspective it´s really different from mine. It´s like we complement each other perfectly.

Chanyeol sighed, but he wasn’t irritated, mad or tired. He was confused. I know.

“Hyeri was always kind with me and I never thought about her in that way, as a bad person I mean, but there´s also you. You were always sincere with me and that´s why I feel for you your sincerity” I smiled. We shared the same reason. We fall in love with each other due to our honesty. “And I´m sure the one I trust the most it´s you, so that´s why I made things clear with Hyeri. I told her that if she continues behaving like that, our friendship would end”

We looked into each other´s eyes. I was happy and so was he.

Then Chanyeol caressed my cheeks, his touch felt so warm and his hands so soft, and kissed my forehead.

“I´m glad we settle things” Chanyeol added as he took one of my hands and caressed softly with both of his.

I nodded. “I´m glad too”

After that we left the park and headed towards Chanyeol´s apartment. I decided to go to his place because my parents weren’t home until late, so I always stay alone. I was used to it, but I prefer spending my time with someone. But this time, my parents were abroad all the week. There wasn’t anyone besides me at home. Sometimes my home, because its size, feels cold with only me inside; my big house feels empty with only me around.

I asked if I could stay for the night at his place. He agreed happily. This wasn’t the first time I spent the day at his apartment so there wasn’t a reason for him to say no.

“Are you comfortable?” Chanyeol asked me. I was lying in his comfy and soft bed and he was sitting next to me at the edge of the bed.

“I am,” I answered as I smiled softly.

Chanyeol caressed my hair and bent down to kiss me. I missed his soft kisses. I felt an electrifying feeling at my back when we kissed and I loved that feeling.

“I´ll go sleep at the couch”

Chanyeol stood up, but before he left I grabbed his wrist.

“You can stay with me,” I noticed his eyes got wider and then my cheeks got redder, “it´s not like we´ll do something else”

All the times I spent the night here, Chanyeol always end up sleeping at his couch and I at his bed. He was really caring for me, but I´m for him too.

“Are you sure?”

“Chanyeol, you bed its big enough for us to fit”

Soon I noticed him sitting at the other side if the bed. He was smiling at me. Then he kissed me again. I felt he was smiling during it.

“Sleep well, Eun”

“You too”

Then he turned off the lights. The darkness fulfilled the room. I closed my eyes, but before I feel asleep Chanyeol talked.

“Eun?”

I turned to look at him. He, at first, besides the darkness, I noticed him looking at his room´s ceiling. 

“Yes?” I added softly, almost as a whisper.

Chanyeol turned his gaze towards me. I looked deeply at his brown chocolate eyes; his beautiful, big and pure orbs.

“I love you,” he smiled affectionately at me. My heart started beating faster.

“I love you too”

Soon I hit dreamland. I felt contented, but, somehow, there was a weird feeling invading my body. A feeling that cannot be describe with words. Maybe it was concerned, fear or anxiety, but I´m not to decipher it yet.

-

Next morning, when I woke up, I felt really warm. I felt someone was hugging me. And when I opened my eyes I realized Chanyeol was the one who was embracing me softly. His arms were around my waist and our faces a few inches away. It was funny and cute, but a bit embarrassing. He was hugging me like if I was a teddy bear, yet I like it.

Chanyeol is a heavy sleeper. I look at his sleepy face, his beautiful and baby face; he seemed so tranquil right now. Soon my eyes landed on his lips, his rose and soft lips, and my fingertips made their way towards them before I even realized it.

At that moment, Chanyeol´s eyebrows frowned a bit, but he continued stepping. I sighed softly. Observing him while he was sleep was a bit embarrassing if you ask me, but I just couldn’t help it.

I smiled at his sleeping face and I kissed him softly, our lips almost touching, but the distance was enough for them to meet. 

I pushed his arm away and rest it softly at his bed. I stood up, but before I leave his room I opened the curtains. Chanyeol always leave them closed because he doesn’t like when the sun´s lights touch his face. He feels disturb by it, but that way, if I open them, he´ll wake up sooner. As the heavy sleeper he is I bet he could sleep until lunch.

Once I open them, I made my way towards the living room. I glance at the clock. It was still early. Too early to the sun to wake up.

I decided to change myself and then I started preparing breakfast.

When I finished, I noticed Chanyeol at the living room, he was at the couch watching cartoons and he was laughing, he was enjoying the chapter he was watching attentively.

I laughed softly. Sometimes Chanyeol can be really childish, but it´s a quality I love of him.

“Eun!” He stood up as soon as he saw me and hug me, “you prepare breakfast?”

I nodded and kissed the tip of his chin, because he was really tall I didn’t reach his lips. I noticed him blushed. He looked really cute.

Then we ate together.

Since it was Sunday we decided to spend the day together.

I noticed a book at the desk. I decided to look at it. It said “Photo album

“Yeol, what is this?”

I noticed his eyes got wider and he try to steal the album from me, but I manage to win. It was Chanyeol´s photo album. It contained lots of photos from him since the day he was born until his high school days.

He looked so cute and so funny in some photos. We were looking at them together, but Chanyeol was a bit ashamed of the photos.

 I smiled at him. “I love the photos, there´s no reason to be embarrassed,” my gaze stopped at one specific photo. Chanyeol was around five years old. He looked extremely happy and cute. As far, it was my favorite.

“Can I have this?” His gaze went towards the photo I was pointing at.

Chanyeol smiled and nodded. I took the photo and place it inside my pocket´s jacket.

We talked and laughed all the morning. We watched cartoons and dramas together.

Soon it was lunch time, so we decided to go to a restaurant. We enjoyed our time together. I really enjoy spending my time with him.

After that we went to the arcade. We played a lot, but mostly Chanyeol´s favorite game: basketball. Even if I wasn’t that good as him, actually I never played it before until he dragged me to an arcade and we played it together, I enjoyed watching him. Sometimes I played with him, but we always ended punching each other because there wasn’t enough space or becausehis ball pushed mine from entering the basket. But at the end we always end up laughing from our score.

At the end, we had fun, so much fun.

We walked back to his apartment hand by hand, maybe it was around six.

We reached the entrance of the building and we went up the stairs and as soon as I turned the corner I noticed someone waiting at Chanyeol´s door. That someone was a female as I got closer I noticed it was Hyeri.

She noticed me. She gave me a cold gaze.

“Hyeri what are you doing here?” Chanyeol asked as he reached my side.

Hyeri´s gaze changed completely to a soft one. She´s still showing her two sides. Hyeri´s still no ever he hate towards me.

“Can we talk?” She pleaded.

“But we already talked yesterday” I noticed a bit of coldness on Chanyeol´s tone.

“Please, it’s important”

I noticed him struggled with an answer a bit.

“I´ll go buy something at the shop next door” I stated as I turned. I knew Chanyeol was forcing himself to say no because I was there; and if I wasn’t, they could talk and settle things, again. Hyeri was stubborn, so Chanyeol had to be a cold and direct with her.

But before I left he grabbed my arm.

“Are you ok with it?”

“I´m fine,” I smiled, “settle things with her. I trust you”

And with that I left.

It got me five minutes to reach the shop next doors. I bought some candies and beverages for us, al, of them fit in a bag.

After that I came back. I didn’t know how much time they needed, but I assumed they finished already. So I went up the stairs and when I turned the corner I felt my heart squeezed hardly and then my eyes got blurry. Tears were forming at the edge of them.

What I saw, I didn’t expect at all. I felt betrayed and fooled. It hurt. Really much.

Chanyeol and Hyeri were kissing.

The first tear dropped after I realized what I was seeing.