Where Did You Sleep Last Night?

Where Did You Sleep Last Night?

 

Where Did You Sleep Last Night?

Youngjae hasn't been sleeping at home for a while. It shouldn't be any of Daehyun's business to pry since they're just friends, but it should be obvious to Youngjae that he's interested in him. Or, to be more specific, head over heels in love with him.

Besides, being best friends has its entitlements. Knowing where your best friend is all the time is one of them. Ever since Youngjae graduated from college, Daehyun's been finding it hard to keep an eye on his best friend. Curse Youngjae for being overly intelligent and graduating a year earlier.

It's gotten worse these few months. Whenever Daehyun returns from school, he's frequently greeted by an empty house. And even if Youngjae is at home, he's locked up in his room and he has his phone around him 24/7, smiling whenever it lights up. Worst of all, he refuses to tell Daehyun who he's texting, always brushing it off as someone who isn't from their school.

A couple of times, Youngjae has slept somewhere other than with Daehyun. Not technically with Daehyun, but near him. He's been using vague excuses, like sleeping over at his mother's place and at saunas. Yesterday, he hadn't returned home and still hasn't, without a single text to tell Daehyun where he is and where in the world he slept last night. He had waited up all night for Youngjae to return, but to no avail. Fear creeps into Daehyun's mind, aghast expression gracing his face. Could he have slept with someone!?

Daehyun had initially suspected Jaebum, Youngjae's best friend from their glorious baby days (Daehyun thinks it's not that much of a big deal), but he's still studying with Daehyun. In fact, he has lesser chances to meet Youngjae than Daehyun does since he's taking a more rigorous course.

It can't be someone from their college. Daehyun wracks his brains, pacing back and forth their apartment. Youngjae has been avoiding all of Daehyun's calls this week, and the most ridiculous thing is that he always sees Youngjae with his phone. There's definitely something up, and Daehyun is determined to get to the bottom of this. He absolutely needs to know where Youngjae slept last night and where the hell he is right now.

Flinging open the fridge foor, Daehyun seethes the moment he catches sight of the iced americano in the fridge. Himchan-hyung. Furrowing his eyebrows, he snatches the drink and takes a sip before shoving it into the bin. Grabbing his jacket and checking his phone again, he storms out of the apartment.


 

--


 

“Open up!” Daehyun yells, pounding on the apartment door. He knows he's causing a ruckus (the passing neighbours have been casting him weird looks) but it doesn't matter. He's a hundred percent sure Youngjae's inside, probably snuggled up to that stupid ex-senior of theirs.

Himchan finally opens the door, eyebrows arched as he comes face to face with a fuming Daehyun. “Yes...?” Himchan asks, bewildered that someone interrupted his facial. Daehyun barges in rudely, scanning the place dilligently. Striding into Himchan's room, he throws open all of Himchan's cupboards, poking his face into the array of flamboyant clothes.

Daehyun finally emerges after his search, worn-out from the amount of closets b with clothes Himchan has. The older man scoffs as Daehyun looks him up and down before flinging himself onto the couch.

“Can you tell me why you ransacked my entire house?” Himchan says, joining Daehyun on the sofa. Daehyun emits a guttural groan, closing his eyes.

“Youngjae hasn't been home since last night, and he's not picking up his phone, hyung,” Daehyun grumbles. Himchan muffles back a laugh, uttering, “And you think he'll be here why?”

“I- I don't know, I found coffee at home. So I thought he slept at your place last night,” Daehyun mumbles exasperatedly before turning away when he realises how stupid that sounds. The incredulous look etched into Himchan's face isn't helping at all.

“You need help, man. You're so paranoid that you're even thinking I'd sleep with Youngjae.” Himchan clicks his tongue. “Just confess to him already. He'll be officially yours and you won't have to run around like some brainless hound and tear up people's houses.”

Daehyun shoots him a glare before exhaling lengthily. He brings up his phone to his face, frowning when he sees no replies from Youngjae. He quickly sends another message to Youngjae, probably being the umpteenth time for today. Where did you sleep last night?

“What if he doesn't like me back? I have acne, hyung. I have acne.” Himchan rolls his eyes, shaking his head in disbelief. Patting cream onto the uncovered half of his face, he voices out, “If it's any help, the last time I saw Youngjae, he was in a music store, looking through albums.”

Daehyun tilts his head, thinking hard before shooting up. He instantly bolts out of the house, unaware of Himchan's chuckles lingering behind.


 

--


 

“Yongguk-hyung,” Daehyun wheezes out when he catches the man walking out from his apartment complex. Yongguk widens his eyes as Daehyun staggers towards him, grabbing him by the collar while panting heavily.

“Where is Youngjae?” He splutters out, hoping to sound menacing but instead sounding like he's about to die. Yongguk blinks in puzzlement at him and they end up at the nearest fast-food restaurant, Daehyun again choking but this time on his food. Upon seeing Daehyun breathless (after running about less than half a kilometre), the good man hurriedly brought him into the eatery, offering to buy him a drink and a meal.

“You've always been my favourite hyung,” Daehyun tries to say but it comes out as an incoherent mess of words. Yongguk flinches and discreetly tries to wipe Daehyun's spit off his face. He speaks when Daehyun finally stops chewing “So, what are you here for?”

Daehyun's expression completely changes upon remembering his intentions, swallowing down the burger he crammed into his mouth and creasing his brows. “Where is Youngjae?”

“Youngjae?” The graduated senior slants his head in confusion. “I haven't seen him around lately.”

“Himchan-hyung told me he saw him at a music store,” Daehyun coughs as he tries to drink while speaking. “And?” Yongguk leans forward, waiting for Daehyun to continue. The younger man folds his lips, stating, “So I thought he was with you. He hasn't come back since yesterday.”

“Just because he was at a music store?” Yongguk smiles amusedly. Daehyun thinks hard for a moment before nodding fervently. Yongguk breathes out lightly, trying to hold back a sigh that says you are so stupid.

“Maybe you should check with Jongup,” Yongguk suggests. “He is Youngjae's favourite junior, isn't he? He might know where Youngjae is.”

Daehyun's mouth drops open, as though enlightened. For an instant, Yongguk looks as though he regrets what he said, but he still waves goodbye to Daehyun who hastily stumbles out of the restaurant.


 

--


 

“Jongup!” Daehyun screams at the top of his lungs, startling students in the corridor and those in the classroom. The junior flickers his eyelids in perplexity while Daehyun lunges towards him maniacally, completely ignoring the fact that there are lectures going on.

“Jongup,” Daehyun puffs, gripping Jongup tightly by the shoulder. The junior stares blankly back as Daehyun shakes him vigorously. “Where have you hidden Youngjae!?”

Jongup flutters his eyelids, mouth forming the shape of an “o” as he processes Daehyun's words. “I... don't know, hyung,” Jongup responds honestly. He purses his lips thoughtfully, blinking adorably. Daehyun narrows his eyes and lets go of the junior roughly, muttering you think you're so cute and that Youngjae likes you so much but he likes me more alright. Oblivious to Daehyun's snort, Jongup says, “Hyung, have you checked Youngjae-hyung's class?”

“Jongup, Youngjae graduated last year.” Daehyun glowers at the shorter student. “Oh.” Jongup parts his lips before pressing his lips together in deep thought. “Hyung, have you checked his apartment?”

“Jongup, Youngjae lives with me,” Daehyun grunts. He honestly can't understand why Youngjae likes Jongup so much. He's as dumb as a rock. Not that Daehyun's any smarter but he's certainly more fluent in talking than Jongup is.

“So... Is he home?” Jongup asks and Daehyun pulls his lips to the sides in irritation. “No, Jongup. He isn't. That's why I asked you if he was with you.”

“Youngjae-hyung is in our room?” Jongup gasps. Daehyun snaps furiously back, “How would I know if he's in your room!? Is he!?”

“I don't know,” Jongup replies while scratching his head. “Junhong is back in the dorms now. Maybe Youngjae is in there with him.”

Daehyun moans, patting his aching legs upsettingly. Disregarding Jongup's merry smile and wave, he jogs towards the school dorms, complaining under his breath.


 

--


 

“Junhong-ah,” Daehyun blurts out, knuckles rapping on the door in fatigue once he reaches the dorms. The ear-piercing dubstep music stops and Junhong throws open the door. “Hyung!” Junhong cheerily exclaims and yanks the senior in, pulling out a chair for him to sit.

“Y-Youngjae,” Daehyun heaves and his upper body flops onto the table. Junhong quizzically looks at the senior.

“Do you know where is he?” Daehyun murmurs out, voice coming out stifled with his mouth against the wooden table. His previous adrenaline to find Youngjae has diminished with every piling failed attempt, but he still hopefully lifts his head for the answer. The moment Junhong shakes his head, he collapses back onto the table, grunting in frustration.

“If he's not with you, Yongguk-hyung, Himchan-hyung or Jongup, who can he be with?” Daehyun wails, while Junhong watches awkwardly. “I miss him so much. I just want to know where he slept last night. Where is he?”

“I remember seeing him this week in school,” Junhong provides while Daehyun glances skeptically. “You haven't caught Jongup's stupidity, have you?”

“No,” Junhong chortles. “He came by to visit us and went off with his friend.”

“He didn't visit me,” Daehyun grumbles and Junhong points out, “You live with him, hyung.” Waving his hand dismissively and still hurt, Daehyun suddenly rises when it hits him.

“Who is this friend you speak of?” Daehyun grits his teeth and Junhong shrugs. “I don't know his name.”

“Does he have obnoxious dirty blonde hair? A smug face? Grossly thick eyebrows?” Daehyun pelts Junhong with questions, eyes growing. Junhong backs away, murmuring, “Yes, and don't you have all those features, hyung?”

“I do not have a smug face,” Daehyun retorts, “and my thick eyebrows are just right. And my hair is of a darker, much nicer shade.”

“Right,” Junhong says, tone infused with doubt. Daehyun spares Junhong one threatening glare before running out swiftly.


 

--


 

“Im Jaebum! Show your ugly face right now!” Daehyun bangs hysterically on Jaebum's room door, jaws locked in anger. Five minutes passes, but there is still no answer. He's been shushed a couple of times but his re-ignited passion to find Youngjae has driven him to shriek “Are you scared, Jaebum? That's why you don't want to open the door, am I right!? Hah! So you admit you're no match for the great Jung Daehyun!?”

“No.” Daehyun hears a familiar voice he has come to label as stupid over the years. “I'm not opening the door because I'm not inside the room,” Jaebum states, stepping up to a boiling Daehyun. The latter grimaces but puts on a strong front, scowling at the other senior.

“What do you want?” Jaebum growls as they exchange dirty looks. Their rivalry has never escalated to such a point, mostly because they never fought in front of Youngjae. It had always been a silent battle of who breaks first and the two trying to annoy one another to their limit without Youngjae knowing. That which usually consisted of stuck-out tongues and middle fingers.

“Where is Youngjae?” Daehyun barks, eyes trained on his rival. Jaebum flashes a snobbish grin. “Oh? So you don't know where he is?”

“Where is he?” Daehyun repeats, this time more intimidating. Jaebum sneers, “Maybe he ditched you.”

“Did he sleep here last night?” Jaebum pushes Daehyun aside, opening the door to his room. “He didn't, and he's not with me now. He was a few days ago, though.”

“I don't believe you,” Daehyun protests petulantly. Jaebum snorts, stepping to the side for Daehyun to come in. “Go and check yourself. He's not with me. But judging by the way things are going, I'm sure he'll be soon,” Jaebum taunts while following the scavenging Daehyun around.

“Your hair looks like ,” Daehyun jeers back.

“Your face looks like .”

“You are !”

“No, you are !”

“You are the tiest I've ever seen!”

“You are the tiest tiest I've ever seen!”

“You are the tiest tiest tiest I've ever seen!”

“Can you guys shut up?” An exhausted voice drawls and Jaebum's roommate materialises in front of the bickering duo. The two seniors retreat, apologetic looks on their faces.

“Sorry, Jinyoung,” Jaebum whispers and the two send each other a final death glare before Daehyun is kicked out of the room. It's already evening, and yet Youngjae is nowhere to be found.

Throwing himself onto the bed once he reaches home, Daehyun sticks his face to his phone but there are no new notifications. He falls into a deep slumber, with only one thought dominating his mind: Where did you sleep last night?


 

--


 

“You are so cruel.”

“I'm just having a little fun, hyung. Daehyun can be a bit suffocating sometimes. Besides, I'm not doing anything wrong, just roaming about the city.”

“Sadist, ” Himchan laughs and bids Youngjae goodbye before cutting the call. Youngjae quietly opens the door, creeping into the dark apartment. Sneaking into Daehyun's room, he giggles softly when he sees Daehyun with drool running down his cheek. Dabbing it away, he takes Daehyun's phone out of his hand and places it on the desk. Climbing into the bed, Youngjae examines his roommate's features, grinning in amusement whenever Daehyun blubbers out something about last night.

Placing a tender kiss on Daehyun's lips, Youngjae tucks Daehyun into bed before slipping out of the room with a smile.