To First Impressions Long Ago

To Stitches

"Minseok, how did you do on your math exam?"

"You never ask Minho how he does on his math exams" 

"Minseok, he's nine years old and you're sixteen." 

"I did well. My teacher said that I am improving." 

"Yeobo! Did you sign Minho up for my community soccer team?" 

"I wasn't sure if I should, is he..." 

"Minho is asymptomatic and his condition isn't worsening. Let him play, he loves soccer."

"Alright. Minho ah, would you like to play soccer on your appa's team?"

"Neh Umma!" 

"Remember, Minho has his heart check-up next week." 

 

It was a lovely saturday afternoon. Nine year old Minho was going to play his first real soccer game. Minho, being asymptomatic, did not let the thoughts of his heart condition bring him down and prevent him from playing sports. He was quite tall for his age and had long legs. He naturally had taken to soccer and high jumping. Out of caution, the Choi family had not signed up Minho for any soccer leagues, but since he was a bit older and it was ok that he play, they wanted to let him do something that he loved. 

"Come on everyone! Minseok, go change! We don't want to be late for Minho's game!" Mrs. Choi exclaimed happily. 

Upstairs, Mr. Choi, was helping Minho get ready for the game. Minho put on his blue jersey with his favorite number, 10 on the back. He then put on his shorts, shinguards, and socks. Minho's hair was a little long, so Mr. Choi put some of Minho's wavy black hair up so it wouldn't get in the way. While Minho was observing himself in the mirror, worried that the other kids would make fun of him for his ponytail, Mr. Choi blew up Minho's new soccer ball. 

"But appa, we won't be using this ball. Why are you blowing it up?" Minho asked. 

Mr. Choi ruffled his hair and answered, smiling, "It's good luck to keep your ball in your bag. Right before the game, say your hopes for the game while holding  your lucky soccer ball and that will give our team luck!" 

Minho nodded, relieved that his appa, as the coach, knew what he was doing. 

After everyone was ready, they all walked to the school which was only about five minutes away from their house. Minseok, who had friends who had little brothers playing in the game, went to find them. 

Minho was clutching his soccer ball to his heart, mumbling "we are going to win" and "never give up" 

As soon as they reached the field of the school, Minseok was ready to take off. 

"Minseok ah, where are you going?" The ever protective Mrs. Choi asked, settling down next to another mom on the bleachers. She knew Mrs. Lee from the school and the hospital. Mrs. Lee had a son who was about a year younger than Minho, who was on the other team. Mrs. Choi was involved in organizing events at the school, so she new a lot of parents. 

"I'm going to find Taesun! We'll come and sit for the game. Mrs. Lee, where's your son?" Minseok asked the woman next to his mother. 

"He's by the swings. Have fun!" Mrs. Lee smiled at the boy. 

After Minseok left, Mrs. Choi continued to converse with Mrs. Lee. 

"How's work at the hospital?" Mrs. Choi asked. Mrs. Lee was a nurse in the pediatric cardiology department. She always made a point to come say hi to the Choi family when Minho had check-ups. 

"Good! Minho has his check-up next week right? Do you need me to drive him?" Mrs. Lee asked. 

"That's very sweet, but I am taking off from work that day. Thank you." Mrs. Choi smiled. 

After a few more moments of chatting, another mother came to sit down next to Mrs. Choi and Mrs. Lee. She was holding the hand of boy with cat-like eyes who looked unhappy to be there.

"Ah! Kibum ah you are looking so cute!" Mrs. Lee gushed at the sight of the adorable ten year old. 

"Thank you!" Mrs. Kim laughed, flattered that people found her younger son so cute. 

"Is Jonghyun ah playing in the game?" Mrs. Choi asked. 

"Yes, but we didn't get to the sign up in time to join your husbands team, so Jonghyun joined Mr. Lee's team. (No relation to Mrs. Lee) Jonghyun was sad at first, but Mr. Lee's son, Jinki is Kibum and Jonghyun's student math tutor, so Jonghyun didn't mind so much because being on that team means going for bubble tea with Jinki." Mrs. Kim smiled. Kibum blushed at the mention of Jinki, the super smart thirteen year old was in fact the object of his affection.

"Taemin is on Mr. Lee's team, as well?" Mrs. Kim asked Mrs. Lee. 

"Yes! He's so shy, I'm glad he'll make some friends." Mrs. Lee responded. 

"Of course! I'll make sure Jonghyun ah is extra nice to him." Mrs. Kim said, reassuringly. 

After about fifteen minutes of chatting, Jinki, the appointed referee, blew the whistle to begin the game. Minho was playing forward and was one of the fastest kids on the field. Kibum, not interested at all in sports, was fixated on Jinki, rather than his older brother playing. 

Taemin and Jonghyun were on the other team and it was a cute sight to watch all of the boys playing. 

"Wha! Your son is so pretty!" Mrs. Choi said to Mrs. Lee. 

"Thank you!" Mrs. Lee chuckled. The small eight year old, was struggling a bit keeping up with all of the much larger kids. 

Both Jonghyun and Minho scored goals. Impressed with each other's goals, they went up to each other after the game to tell each other how cool their goals were. As most children do, Minho and Jonghyun became immediate friends. 

As Minho was running to see his mom after high fiving everyone, he bumped into a small, sandy haired boy who was significantly shorter than him. 

"Ah. Sorry!" Minho apologized. Taemin looked up and felt his heart beat speed up. He was face to face with a sunbae from his school. Taemin felt a funny feeling while he was looking at Minho's kind face and warm eyes. Taemin felt fuzzy and overwhelmed at the sight. 

"Uh...it's...it's o..ok." Taemin mumbled, blushing. 

"I'm Choi Minho, did you have fun during the game?" Minho asked. Minho recognized Taemin a bit because they went to the same school, but Taemin was younger and he didn't know him very well. 

"I'm Lee Taemin...yeah it was fun. You are really good!" Taemin said, blushing. "I knew you would be...because you're appa is the coach." Taemin mumbled, looking down at his feet. 

"Thanks." Minho smiled. Although he knew Taemin was only a year younger than him, he couldn't help but think that Taemin was so cute, as most people do. 

"Taemin ah! Let's go home and clean you up!" Mrs. Lee called to her son. 

"Bye Minho hyung." Taemin said, stunned that he had talked to someone he thought was an idol. Taemin ran as fast as he could to his mom. 

"Why are you blushing so hard?" Kibum asked. Kibum and Taemin were both in church choir and took dance lessons together so they were good friends. 

"I just talked to...Minho hyung." Taemin said, faintly smiling, the name feeling tingly coming from his lips. 

 

A/N: Cute eh? So if your confused, Taemin and Kibum are friends. Jonghyun is Key's older brother who is now friends with Minho. Jinki, who is Key and Jonghyun's peer math tutor, is Kibum's crush. Minho doesn't know Taemin that well but recognizes him from school. It's important to remember that Taemin's mom, Mrs. Lee works at the hospital and sees Minho there. Okie okie. Thanks for reading^^ COMMENT/SUBSCRIBE thankyouuu <33