1

Nine Guesses, But The First Eight Don't Count

Day 0

 

“But why should I go with you to your second cousin's third wedding?”

 

“It's my cousin, and it's only her second wedding, because her first marriage was technically annulled.”

 

“She still had the wedding. Just because she got a special dispensation from the church doesn't mean she went back in time and un-wore the dress and unspent thousands of dollars on a giant cake.”

 

“Ok, my cousin's third wedding. But it's free food, I know you love, and it's going to be so, so, so boring.”

 

“Wait, are you trying to convince me to go by telling me boring it's going to be?”

 

“Not for you! Because your best friend, Henry Lau, an all-around amazing human being is going to be there to keep you company.”

 

“Oh right. How could I forget?”

 

“Ok, if begging doesn't work, I'll have to resort to blackmail. Come with me or else I'll tell everyone your darkest and most terrible secret.”

 

“I don't have any dark or terrible secrets, and even if I did, you don't know them.”

 

“Wait a minute, I don't know any of your terrible secrets. Why don't I know any of your terrible secrets? Am I, or am I not your best friend?”

 

“You tell me, dude – it's not my fault you don't know anything about me.”

 

“Ok. So. How about this? If I can guess what your most terrible, most deepest secret is, you have to go to my cousin's third wedding with me?”

 

“But then my 'terrible secret' would be revealed to you, and I would still have to go to a really boring wedding with you.”

 

“...”

 

“Ugh, don't pout those pouty cheeks at me. Fine. There's three days until the wedding. I will give you three guesses every day, and if you get it right--”

 

“I don't have to give you my first born child?”

 

“What?”

 

“Like, rumpelstiltskin. You do realize we're doing Rumpelstiltskin, right?”

 

“Except neither of us can spin straw into gold. You'd better get started thinking, Snoopy. You've only got 9 guesses.”

 

Day 1

 

“One - sometimes, you wear boy's underwear. Two - you're scared of spiders. Three - the Spice Girls 'Tell me what you want' is your number one most played song on your iPod.”

 

“First, that's not a secret. Communal changing rooms, yo. Second, you're scared of spiders, not me. Third, it's actually Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls, by TLC, now.”

 

“...”

 

“Better luck tomorrow, Henry.”

 

Day 2

 

“You still sleep with stuffed animals.”

 

“There's no shame in that, lots of people do. If it's a secret, it's only because I never bothered to tell anyone, because who would be interested? Doesn't count.”

 

“You don't know how to drive a stickshift.”

 

“Who does?”

 

“You skateboard without a helmet, in violation of local safety laws.”

 

“Who doesn't? It might be a misdemeanor, but it's not a secret. You're pretty desparate, aren't you? Have fun at that wedding all by yourself, dude.”

 

Day 3

 

“Alright – here goes nothing. You secretly have a sixth toe on your left foot. You're secretly a werewolf. You're secretly in love with me.”

 

“...”

 

“Oh my god, are you blushing? You're blushing! I was right!”

 

“Uhhh, it's the one about having an extra toe. Um, yep, you got me, that's my secret. I'd better get ready to go.”

 

“Amber. I've seen your left foot a million times. I know you have the same number of toes as most of the population.”

 

“Uhhh, yup, you got me. I am a werewolf.”

 

“Amber.”

 

“Will you please stop grinning like that? It's so creepy.”

 

“Amber.”

 

“Seriously, Henry, can you, like, not see how uncomfortable I am right now?”

 

“Amber.”

 

“What?!”

 

“I like you, too.”

 

“...you're still making a seriously creepy face. ”

 

“Don't we have a wedding to go to? I won the bet, fair and square.”

 

“Fine. I still say I'm a werewolf.”

 

“We'll just see about that.”