e p i l o g u e

The Dark Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The Dark Silence

Epilogue

 

How long have they been running? He couldn't almost remember yet he can feel his chest constricting with heavy pants that it felt like exploding yet they have been powered with nothing but adrenaline. Dara fell on her knees, Jiyong stopped to look at her. Crouching down, he looked at her. "I..." she was breathing heavily. Dara shook her head. "I'm sorry but I can't run anymore," there was heavy panting between each word. Jiyong cupped her face gently. "Can you stand up?" They need to keep going, in seconds, he knew he could be there standing step away from them. Dara looked at him, her tears b in the corner of her eyes. Pursing her lips, she gave a tight nod and pushed herself up only to wince in pain. She cut her knees. Jiyong looked at her cut. Pulling his white hankerchief, he gently wrapped it around her bleeding wound.

 

"We need to keep going." They don't have much of an option. That's the only thing left to do, to keep going, to try to escape even though he knew, she knew, that they could never escape him. They took a turn on the alley and ended up in the town's dock, where line of old warehouses stood facing the ocean. Fingers lacing on each other, they walked slow and almost noiseless. The night sky was flooded with thick gray clouds, somehow it was darker than the usual. Jiyong stopped walking making Dara look at his back. "Ji," he didn't look at he, instead removed his hand tangled with hers. Dara's heart pumped against her chest, freezing her on her spot. She kept her gaze steady on his as Jiyong walked to a parked car in front of one of the warehouse. He pressed his head, staring through its heavily tinted windows. In a spur of luck, he guessed the heavens had enough of Seunghyun's psycho tendencies, the keys were left dangling from its slot. He grabbed the knob and pulled it open. The door popped easily open. He turned to look at Dara, lifting his arm the lady stared at his open palm. "I love you," Dara smiled before reaching his hand. Jiyong tugged her to him, trapped her waist in his arm. "I love you too," leaning down he took her lips in his, kissing her slow and gently. "We will get out here," he whispered landing three pecks against her lips. Dara hugged him tightly. "Yes, let's get out of here." She breathed against the crook of his neck.

 

Stepping inside the stranger's car, Jiyong ignited the engine to life as they sped away. Dara looked at him before she wrapped her arm around his, leaning her body to him, she rested her head on his shoulder. Closing her eyes she tried to erase every awful memory that she had been living all her life. Gently, she opened her eyes, silently saying her thank you and prayers for her friends that she lost because they wanted to give her the life that Seunghyun stole from her because of his sick delusion. "Thank you." A sob gurgled out of . She planted her face against his upper arm, "Thank you..."

 

Jiyong kept his eyes on the road, listening to his girlfriend's heartwrenching cries of thank you. Somehow, he knew he could never understand how much she feels, but he was happy that he was part of those who granted her freedom, an entrance to a life that she was suppose to have even before. A life a mere ghost of her past had denied her. He stepped on the gas and added another speed until he past the sign that bade them goodbye, they were nearing the bridge off to the next town, leaving Busan.

 

He placed the light on high beam when a shadow was caught standing few meters away. He fired the horn yet the moment the shadow bathed in light and finally came into his view. "Mom..." he whispered as Dara looked ahead. The figure changed and became man. Jiyong choked at the view of his dad and in snapped it turned into a child. "Hanbin," he began trembling. He stepped on the break before he reach and hit him but the break was not working. Panicking, he steered the wheel as Dara shouted his name, the car went out of control and flew off the bridge to the water.

 

×××

 

Jiyong stirred from his sleep, moving his head left and right. Almost pained, he fluttered his eyes opened and wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter