Chocolate Chip

The Bakery Book
Please log in to read the full chapter

            She remembered the first time she met them. In fact, she remembered as if it happened yesterday, the horrendous banging of boxes being dropped and teeth-clenching screeches of moving furniture. She’d been a nervous wreck the whole day, fearing that something was going to come falling through her roof.

            I can’t handle much more of this…

“NO! IT DOESN’T GO THERE! HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU THAT SEHUN? ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING?!”

            Scratch that, I can’t handle anymore. Period.”

            Soon warmed sugar, vanilla, and chocolate permeated the air around her as she found solace in her oven. Chocolate chip cookies, the perfect way to greet new neighbors and hopefully stop the now insistent yelling coming from the apartment above her. Really, who could resist homemade, fresh-baked treats?

            Getting to the door wasn’t hard. She just had to follow the screaming. What was hard was actually working up the nerve to knock on the door because, honestly, the noises from within was more than slightly terrifying and she didn’t know if she wanted to inject herself into that.

            Maybe I can just leave them outside the door? A particulary vicious sounding smack resounded from within.

           Maybe I should just come back...

Too late, she was already tapping lightly on the door, as if hoping no one would answer.

            What if they hated her cookies?

Please log in to read the full chapter