Final

The Light Of My Eye

Riiiiiiiing. Riiiiiiiiing.

 

'Oppa!'

'Ruby, hi baby. How are you?'

'I'm good! How are you doing?'

'I...I've actually got something to talk to you about. Will you meet me at our usual coffee shop?'

'Uh, okay. I'll be there in a few minutes.'

 

You hung up and your eyebrows wrinkled in thought. What is going on? What is this about? Why does he suddenly want to talk to me? He seemed nervous. Like he was unsure about something. This seems bad. I hope nothings wrong. Oh god, what if he wants to breakup? I mean, our relationship has never been the best, with all of his schedules, and crazy fans. It got a little easier after revealing our relationship, meaning we didn't have to sneak around anymore. Most of his fans supported us, but some jealous and crazy ones openly showed their dislike. Maybe I'm just throwing things out of perspective, I should just get going.

 

You bundled yourself up in your coat and scarf, with it being winter and all, grabbed your bag and walked the short distance to the coffee shop. You heard the little bell ring as you opened the door, and glanced over at you and Myungsoo's usual spot, all the way in the back, next to the window, only to find a young couple already there. You scoped the rest of the shop, but saw no sign of Myungsoo, and decided to sit at the empty table on the opposite side of your usual spot. You ordered the usual for you and Myungsoo (you didn't even have to repeat exactly what you wanted, the ajhumma already knew your order), and made your way to the table. 

You looked at your watch. It had only been about 15 minutes since Myungsoo called you. It never took him this long to get here. Every time you heard the bell on the door ring, you looked up, hoping to see Myungsoo, only to see someone leaving, or someone entering, but never Myungsoo. Your drinks made it to you in about ten minutes, and as soon as the waiter left, the doorbell rang again, but you were adding milk and sugar to Myungsoo's coffee, so you didn't notice, until someone slipped into the booth next to you. 

You felt Myungsoo kiss the top of your head, and place his bag on the table. 'Hey babe. Why are you sitting here today?'

You looked at Myungsoo and smiled at him. 'Because- Oh. They're gone... There was another couple sitting in our usual spots, but I guess they left.'

'It's okay.' He nodded at your iced americano. 'Your usual?' 'Yeah.' 'That stuff is so nasty, not to mention bad for you if you drink too much. Why did you let Sungyeol get you addicted to that stuff, I don't understand.' 'I don't know I guess I just wanted to have a taste of his beloved coffee he can't shut up about.' Myungsoo shrugged. 'Well, since we're here, I guess I'll tell you why I asked you to meet me today,' Myungsoo rubbed the back of his neck nervously. 

You prepared yourself for the worst. You had been thinking of all the things that had happened in your relationship in the recent past, wondering if anything had happened that would make Myungsoo want to break up with you, if that is in fact what he wanted to talk to you about. But you came up short. Nothing bad had happened recently, so it made you even more nervous. While you were lost in thought, Myungsoo had opened his bag and placed a book on the table in front of you. You looked down in surprise and look at it. It looked like a photo album, and you guessed it was Myungsoo's next project, because right on the cover it said, 'Myungsoo's Bravo Viewtiful, Part 3.' It was written in his own handwriting, and he had underlined 'Myungsoo' 3 times, emphasizing the fact that he hadn't used 'L' for it this time, making it much more personal than before.

'Myungsoo,' you whispered. 'What is this?'

'What I'm turning in tomorrow. It's the final project. I just need a little help comepleting it. Open it.'

You opened the fist page and saw the path of a nearby park. You had to flip the book sideways, because the picture was portait oriented, and had taken up the whole page. It had to have been a couple of weeks ago, because there were thousands of leaves lining the path, all different shades of brown and gold, showing the prime of the autumn season. You also saw yourself, to your surprise, a good distance from the camera, walking along the path, with both your hands in the pocket of your coat. You remembered this day clearly, and it was in fact a couple of weeks ago, when Myungsoo had asked you to go out on a walk with him, so he could take some pictures. 

'Myungsoo, this is beautiful. I hadn't even noticed that you had taken this!'

'Keep going,' he said, as he scooted closer to you, wrapping his arm around your waist. You flipped to the next page, and saw yourself in the middle of jumping into a pile of fallen leaves. You had almost touched the ground, but you weren't all the way down, so the leaves were still in the air surrounding you. You had your eyes closed, with the brightest smile on your face. You snuggled up to Myungsoo, continuing to flip the pages. So far, you had only seen pictures of yourself, until about halfway into the book, where you saw a picture of you and Myungsoo sitting on the floor of the dorm living room. Myungsoo had brought up his legs up to his chest, and you were sitting right between his legs. You were both covered in a blanket, asleep. At the botton of the picture, there was Myungsoo's tiny handwriting: 'Picture by; Lee Sungyeol.'

You kept going, not seeing one picture that wasn't of you, and got to the last page. It was just a plain page, with an envelope attached to it. You looked up at Myungsoo and asked, 'Oppa...what is this?' Myungsoo just kissed the side of your head and whispered, 'Just open it.' So you did. There was a piece of paper on the inside, in a tent fold. You unfolded it, and read the top.

 

 

'Today, I am promising to give you my forever in the near future, however long that forever lasts. Will you let me have your forever?'

 

 

You looked down at the other half of the page, to see a silver ring, a simple band, taped to the paper.

'O-oppa,' you looked up at Myungsoo with teary eyes. A couple tears escaped, and Myungsoo panicked.

'What, what's wrong why are you crying?'

'Tell me one thing, oppa.'

'What? What?'

'My first tear, did it fall from my right eye or my left eye?'

'What??? What do you mean?'

'Right eye, or left eye?'

'I don't know! Right eye I think?'

'Do you know what that means?'

'No! Baby please stop crying!'

'It means these are tears of joy.'

Myungsoo blinked at you for a few seconds. You could literally hear the gears turning in his head, before it all clicked.

'I love you so much,' he whispered before he swooped in for a kiss.

You pulled away and said, 'I love you too.'

'Does...does that mean that's a yes?'

You laughed, wiping your tears away. 'Yes Myungsoo, that means that's a yes.'

He kissed you one more time, and pulled away, pulling out his camera from his bag. He positioned the closed letter strategically on top of the page, and snapped a picture. He opened the letter, and got ready to take another picture, but this time, of just the bottom half of the letter, of just the ring. He put away his camera after he was done, and pulled the ring right off the paper, and slipped it onto your finger. 

 

fin