I. Soojung

Chinese Casanova

CHAPTER ONE: Soojung

If there is one thing I have already figured out in life with so much certainty, it is the fact that time is indeed too precious. It's more than gold. It is the force that could make or break you. I know because time has been both my lifelong companion and my worst enemy. I could not say it has been my friend though. I fact, it had been cruel to me at several points in my life. Nevertheless, it also kept me going. 

Time is everything.

And look, it's playing with me again. I guess I'm its favorite game. 

Here I am at the crowded airport in an unbearably rainy day. For me to say that I hate the rain is an understatement. I loathe it. Right now, a panic attack is threatening to dominate me. No. Please, not now. The last thing I want to be is the center of attention, especially here in the airport.

"Look," I say, holding on to the last bits of patience left in my system. I'm nowhere near a patient person. As what I have said, time is too precious and it's a waste to spend it on waiting. "I was just five minutes late. I can't wait for another three hours. Can you please check again?" 

Five minutes just ruined my day. Or maybe the plan I had for the next five months of my life. The neat and too polite to be true attendant suggested that I wait for another three hours, which is when the next plane would arrive. That way, I don't have to pay again. 

"Sorry, Miss Jung." She says as she hands me back the ticket I printed out online. "The next plane would not arrive in less than three hours."

Yeah, right. Of course this is my fault. I overslept and I'm such a moron. I would not admit that out loud though.

I'm heading to Yeongsu, which was "a small and peaceful beach town with fresh air and beautiful sunshine", as what a television program once said. I thought it would be perfect to heal my writers block, my other worst enemy. 

I'm not a writer yet. Not yet, but I'm trying to be one.

Another thing you should know me is that I could be considered a semi-nomad for three years now. I don't stay in one place longer than five months. The shortest stay I had was a week. That place was too much though. Residents around were generally drunkards and smokers if not drug addicts. 

"Okay." I let it go and give up. "Three hours then." 

The attendant smiles and nods as she points the waiting area to me.

I turn my heels around and scan the area--the crowded area filled with excited passengers and whining little kids. I search for a seat, tagging along with me my purple suitcase and my grey duffel bag. On my shoulder hung the black satchel holding my valuables. That was everything I have for my baggage. Well, not to count the heavy emotional baggage consistently tattooed on me. I don't wear it on my sleeve, though, and I definitely don't plan to think of it further.

I finally spot two vacant seats. It's at the very end of the lounge and was great, because it was a bit less noisy and less prone to conversations with strangers. One was between an old lady weaving with her yellow threads and a Goth-looking guy who seemed to be in middle school. He has this thick black tints around his eyes, which was practically why I call him a Goth.

The other seat was beside a guy burried in whatever music blaring on his headphones. He was dressed casually, and I guess comfortably, with just a simple navy blue shirt and faded jeans. I could not see his face clearly, though, and it's because of the beanie covering his entire forehead and almost his eyes. 

That shouts a Don't-Disturb-Me message. I know because I do that, too. Well, without the beanie. 

When the old lady puts her threads aside and takes out a prawn cracker, I knew it is enough of a reason for me to choose the other seat. I'm allergic to prawn, shrimps and plenty other crustaceans. 

I settle myself next to the should-not-disturb guy, dragging along with me my things. I peak to see him through the corners of my eyes and notice that he straightened his back and slightly lifted the fabric of his beanie from his eyes. I will myself to look straight and not look at him. 

No conversations with strangers, I remind myself. That would be my mantra for three hours. 

I live with it for an hour until a little girl in pink with braided pigtails and a chocolate ice cream in her hand smiles at me with her big eyes and waves her free hand. "Hello."

I may not admit it out loud, but if there is one thing I don't necessarily feel avoidant for, it would be children. Let's just say their adorableness marks a soft spot in my heart. Or maybe because they remind me of someone I want to keep with me no matter what. Maybe it's all about my little sister, Soomin whom I terribly miss.

I shake the thought of my sister out of my head before giving the little girl before me a small smile. "Hi." 

"Do you want some ice cream?" She extends her hand, messy with melting drops of chocolate cream.

"That's so sweet of you, but I'm kind of full. Thanks anyway." I give her a pat on her head and fix her messed up bangs.

"Unnie, do you want to play with me?" She gives me her cute puppy eyes. "I have a new doll but my momma is too tired to play with me." She points at a middle-aged lady looking so pissed off. She seems like one who does not give a damn regarding her daughter.

Every daughter needs a mother's attention, do you know that? I can't believe I just mentally screamed at a stranger. It's a good thing it was all in my mind. I should give my self-control some credit.

"Where's your doll?" I ask, prompting her to reach for the zipper of her Hello Kitty sling bag to get her doll. Instead of that, however, the swift turn of her movement caused the melting scoop of ice cream to fall off and land on nowhere else but on my jeans. 

I should have gotten mad, but the shock on her innocent face and the panic in her eyes melted my heart. I got mad at the melted scoop of sweets instead. Talk about bad luck.

"Unnie, sorry." Her eyes gets teary, and I shake my head. Please don't cry. That would cause attention and I don't want that.

"I-it's o-okay." I fake a smile. "Unnie is not mad." Just frustrated of everything today.

A warm touch grabs on my elbow, making me turn. 

Dark brown eyes stare directly into mine. The guy beside me tilts his head and scrambles for something on his pocket. He purses his lips for a second or two, revealing breathtaking dimples on both sides. 

"Here," he says as he hands me a white handkerchief. The little girl runs away, perhaps afraid. 

"Thanks." I find myself telling Mr. Stranger. I guess my mantra of not talking to strangers is totally out of grip. "I, uhm, I'll go to the restrooms."

I stand up and stare at my bags. I have these to tag along. How nice.

"Want some company?" To the restroom? I feel my eyes widen. "Outside the restroom, of course." He smirks, looking amused.

I hate smirks. I loathe smirks so much, especially when it comes from a guy.

"No, thanks." I say as I grab everything I need to bring and head off to the restrooms.

"It's the other way." I hear the same voice speak. I turn around and see him still smirking. His dimple deepens. "The restrooms are that way." He points at the direction opposite to where I was heading.

I see a signage telling me he was right. I hate it when I am obviously wrong. Without saying anything, I walk away.

A few steps away from the waiting lounge, another hand grabs my trolley and I almost panicked. "You can't bring so much inside the restroom, so I'm just being a helping hand." Mr. Stranger winks at me as I turn my head to look at him. I loathe winks from a guy as much as I do with smirks. 

"No need." I say, about to walk away again until I realize he has my trolley. !

"Can I have my bag?" I raise a brow. 

"I swear I'm not up to anything bad." He says, although my instincts tell me otherwise. "I'm helping you so you can get rid of that sticky ice cream on your jeans because the last sticky thing you would want to touch your legs would be ice cream." Why did that sound so dirty and malicious? Oh gosh. Stop it, Soojung.

"I don't need any help." I say. Why is he so insistent?

"You're bringing tons of bags with you, miss. This is as heavy as a baggage of someone running away and not coming back." As to that, he's right again. I don't plan on telling him that though. Running away and not coming back is my lifestyle and nobody would understand why.

"I'm not a thief. You can have my word on that. Besides, this airport records on camera our every move." He smirks again, and I knew in that instant he's dangerous.

Dangerous because I keep on staring at his dimples. "Again, I'm being helpful, buddy. You don't need to thank me because I don't accept little thank yous."

Feeling the discomfort from the stain on my jeans, I turn my heels and head in. He's right. CCTV cameras will catch him stealing before he could run away. 

"I accept other  forms of gratitude though." He says before I enter the restroom, making me pause. Why am I having dirty thoughts again? "You need to know my name, by the way." 

I did not ask for it. I don't need it.

"In case I do something wrong, you need to remember my name. It's Zhang Yixing."

I unconsciously repeat it on my head almost automatically. Zhang Yixing.