01

Bubble Tea

It’s been exactly a year since Sehun has passed away. It was an expected death, and was actually a surprise that he was able to survive till he was 16. Sixteen years old, the age where many teenagers are out having fun but Sehun never had the energy to party like all the other teenagers. All he had was you. 

You were his world and he was your world. You were inseparable from each other, and always there for each other. Even if he didn’t show it, everyone knew how much he loved you, more than a friend, as a lover. What started out as friendship soon evolved into a blissful relationship. Even after being a couple, there was still the usual heart to heart talk over a cup of bubble tea. A cup of milk tea with pearls, 50% sugar. It was because of bubble tea that the two of you met. It is still a clear memory in your head of how you were short of a dollar to buy a cup of milk team, and Sehun was the one who helped you pay for your drink. His frail figure immediately caught your eye, but there was something else about him that made your heart beat faster as you looked into his eyes while thanking him. 

Even as friends, he would always warn you not to get too attached to him, or worse, to fall in love with him. He wouldn’t tell you the reason, but you could tell he was dead serious about his words. He soon confessed to you despite knowing the danger. His last line of “I’m sorry for being selfish” went unnoticed by you. If only you had knew…

At his last minutes at the hospital, there you were gripping his hands tightly. He had difficulty even breathing and it hurt your heart so badly to see him in such a state. You had to control the urge of breaking down into tears right in front of him. Your eyes were looking into his and his into yours. It was as if you were asking for explanations and he was asking for forgiveness. No words were exchanged, just the sound of the beeping machine and the air-con. All of a sudden, he started coughing up blood into his oxygen mask, and nurses started rushing in into the room. His grip on your hand wouldn’t soften and you knew he had something to tell you.

“I’m sorry for being selfish. I knew this would happen one day but I decided to drag you into this sorrow. I warned you about getting attached to me, but it looks like it was of no use. Find yourself a better man and forget about me. I will always be by your side no matter what.”

His grip suddenly softened and nurses started to push you away. You hear the loud beep of the machine and you knew his time was up. You rushed out of the room and settled yourself down onto one of the chairs. Everything he said finally made sense to you. The tears that were threatening to fall finally fell uncontrollably as memories soon washed over you and the reality of Sehun leaving you forever finally hits. Your world has come crashing down and you were like a little girl, vulnerable to anything that is coming your way.

It is finally a year after that very day. As a form of memory, you decided to visit the bubble tea store and buy a cup of milk tea with pearls, 50% sugar. You told yourself that a year of dwelling on his passing was enough and that you were going to get over it after today. Just as when you were about to pay, you realise that you are a dollar short. One part of you cursed yourself for being so selfish, while the other was just washed over by memories of how Sehun paid for your drink. You were about to cancel the order and walked away when a hand passed a dollar to the cashier. It was as if it was back to that very day when you and Sehun met. You turn to thank the kind stranger but your eyes meet a pair of round eyes. His eyes meet yours and he gave you a smile. His eyes become slightly smaller but his smile warmed your heart for the first time in a year, the same way as Sehun’s did. You wondered whether Sehun was indeed by your side and had planned for you to meet this stranger the exact way he met you. While deep in thought and frozen in place, the stranger reached his hand out for a handshake.

“Hi, I am Do Kyungsoo. Nice to meet you.”