Chapter 1

Why Can't We?

I really miss those days when we would spend hours and hours texting.

I really miss those nights when you would randomly text me ‘Goodnight’.

I really miss those times when you would initiate skinship.

I really miss those moments when we would just stare in each other’s eyes and not say a single damn word because words are not needed in those moments.

I really miss everything we were once before.

 

I really hate how you stopped texting me.

I really hate how you no longer tell me ‘Goodnight’.

I really hate how you stopped our skinship.

I really hate that you no longer look in my eyes.

I really hate what we are right now.

 

Taemin is staring at his unfinished poem or letter for his first love, Choi Minho. Minho is older than Taemin by ten years, and everyone keeps on reminding him that. The two met at the Gangnam Mental Facility for Alzheimers and Dementia, where they are both working. Minho is a caregiver, while Taemin is the receptionist. Honestly speaking, Taemin is surprised that he actually fell in love with Minho, after all, his impression on the said guy was not exactly something that says ‘You-Be-In-Love-With-This-Guy’…

 

ALMOST A YEAR AGO

It was Taemin’s first day by himself in the reception. He was trained for the past three days, and was always with his trainer, Mrs. Kim. So to say that Taemin was nervous would be a big understatement. Taemin was scared less. He was worried that he would do something wrong. Like he would announce something wrong, or he would process papers in the wrong way. ‘What if a patient goes wild and try escaping the door? What if I have to call 911? Shem what if a gunman enters this place and shoot me? Holy shem!!! Why am I working here again? Oh yeah!!! My mom works here. Okae Lee Taemin, inhale exhale, inhale exhale. You can do this hwaiting!!!’

Taemin began his shift smoothly. He didn’t have much to do. There were no papers to process, no need to call for 911, no gunmen entered the place, and all of the patients were calm. Without him realizing it, four hours of his shift had already passed and it was time for him to go on his break. After the nurse in charge of their shift took over his spot, Taemin proceeded to the ‘Employees Lounge’. He had one problem though; he didn’t have the keys for the rooms. So Taemin quickly wandered around the facility, hoping to find his mother to borrow her keys. Luckily, not after five minutes of walking, he found his mother.

“Taeminnie, are you going on your break?” His mother asked. Kyungsoon is already in her early forties yet she still looks so young and pretty.

“Yes umma. I need to borrow your keys though.” Taemin said oh so cutely.

“Here you go, eat well. I’ll try to eat with you soon.” Kyungsoon replied before leaving her son to attend to one of the patients.

~~~ 

Taemin was sitting by himself in the ‘Employees Lounge’, while eating his self-made ham sandwich filled with onions, bell pepper, mayonnaise, and of course ham. He was in his own world, while chewing his sandwich silently. Suddenly, the door opened. He thought his mother was joining him, but it turned out that it was his co-workers that were joining him. He said his hello, and bowed at them, and the other two did the same as well. One of the said two was a girl named Sunny. She was very nice, and caring. She even offered her dinner to Taemin, but Taemin refused her politely. The other one was Minho. To be honest, Taemin was scared of him. He looked too serious and strict. He also looked grumpy. And in Taemin’s eyes, people who looks strict, serious, and grumpy looks constipated. In other words Taemin’s first impression of Minho was that the grumpy looking man was constipated, or at least looked like it.

After finishing his meal, Taemin went back to work, and his shift ended peacefully. He then went to the ‘Activity Room’ where his mom and other co-workers were resting at. He had to wait for his mom, so for the next two hours that night, Taemin sat at a corner, minding his own business. He answered a question here and there, he also introduced himself to the his other co-worker Jinki, who is quite good-looking in his eyes. Two hours passed, and Taemin went home with his mom. It was a very nice first day for Taemin.

Present Time

Taemin couldn’t believe it. He couldn’t believe that he is madly in love with Minho.

“Aish!!! I’m thinking of him again!!!” Taemin sighed a frustrated sigh, and closed his laptop. He knew that he wouldn’t be able to finish his poem, so he decided that it was time for him to take some rest. Taemin lied down on his bed, and began falling fast asleep, thinking how in the world he fell in love with Choi Minho, the guy he thought was constipated….