Amongst The Living

Amongst The Living
In a world where the dead and the living coincide, sometimes the dead forget that they spiritually rest far beyond the realm of humans. The humans ee never aware of those who have passed on, not most of them, anyways.
 
“Have you been seeing them lately?” A young girl whispered to her friend, who merely looked up and smiled in reply. “You have, haven't you? Doesn't it bother you, Rainie?”
 
Rainie stood from her squat and carried her basket of woven knits to a nearby table. She thought silently to herself for a five count before she shook her head, “No, not really.”
 
“Then you must be lying,” Her friend decided.
 
Rainie stabbed her hands at her hips, “When do I ever lie?”
 
The supervisor glared daggers in Rainie direction and she immediately returned to work, packaging the woven knits into a neatly decorated box. She swept the trickles of sweat gliding down her forehead with the sleeve at her wrists and continuously worked without a break, she never took breaks. There was too little time and too much to be done.
 
Rainie knew she wasn't hallucinating when she felt hard glares staring at her from various sets of eyes. More than once she's discovered the eyes, having not belonging to a humans, hostile and haunting, but they never attacked, never offended.
 
She's not welcome, but she keeps coming back.
 
Those were words she heard often from the voices that no one else could hear. Statements like those were directed at her wherever she went but she never understood why.
 
If it wasn't because of him, I would have gotten rid of her long ago.
 
That's right. They were always speaking of a “him”. Rainie knew who it was, she was aware of the being who always protected her, but she could never find him. He never made his presence known.
 
I don't understand him. She's responsible for his misery, why would he protect her?
 
“What?” Rainie asked aloud. Her co-workers eyed her suspiciously, which forced her to bashfully lower her head and continue her work.
 
“I hear you're leaving town soon.” Running breathlessly towards Rainie, the small girl held out a heavy weight paper bag. “You barely ate anything during lunch,” the girl scolded, “and you're so skinny already, not to mention a little pale.”
 
After taking a quick peek inside the bag, Rainie smiled and returned it to the little girl. “I'm fine, Erin, really. I'm not hungry. Eat it yourself.” As Rainie turned to leave, Erin took hold of Rainie by her elbow and pouted at the older girl.
 
“I have a bad feeling,” Erin pursed her lips, “I feel like I won't ever see you again.”
 
Rainie chuckled lightly, “That's nonsense.”
 
“I know we've only met for several weeks, but I'm worried about you, Rainie.” All Rainie could do was furrow her brows and sigh at the sight of the insecure little girl. She pulled Erin into her arms and hugged her tightly, smiling warmly before she turned to leave.
 
In any other circumstance, Erin would have been correct, but this was Rainie she was talking about. Rainie, the girl who lived what little left of her life she had left to it's fullest, especially since she was only half aware of her situation.
 
-
 
You'd think she'd stop coming after being harassed so much in a place like this.
 
It didn't bother her. The voices that continued to attack her, the whisks of icy cold touches that pushed her around, and the solemn empathy she experienced when visiting a place as such, none of it bothered her. At least not as much as the fact that the one person she wanted to hear, feel, and sympathize for was never there.
 
She's here again, Rainie heard a sharp peak of a voice excitedly proclaim, she's still waiting.
 
Indeed, she was still waiting. She had always been waiting, always will be waiting, until she finally sees this person who has made her wait.
 
Oh! They're coming! Move along now!
 
You never give up, do you?” A hoarse voice mocked against Rainie's presence, “You never learn.”
 
Rainie set her bouquet of flowers on the top of the stone table, not once lifting her gaze to the group of men standing before her. “Perhaps I don't want to learn,” Rainie replied in a flat tone, “Not from the likes of you.”
 
The man lifted a brow, a smirk apparent on his thick, coarse, lips. He took a seat beside her, several of his men following suit. “You haven't much time to live, you know that?” He asked, twiddling the ends of his beard with his stubby fingers.
 
How did you-” Rainie was about to ask, but swallowed her words when she finally noticed the grin spread about his rough cheeks. “Yes, I do know that,” she replied, “But you haven't much time to scurry out of here before you're taught a very, very, personal lesson.”
 
By you, I'm hoping,” He teased in reply. Rainie shook her head. The man and his men glanced about the open space, a field of nothing but weeds and dying flowers surrounding them. “Unless you think the spirits will help you, which they very well wont, I have absolutely no idea who you're referring to,” He laughed.
 
Pulling a flower out of the bouquet, Rainie forced out the fakest smile she could manage and held it towards the man. When the man reached for the flower Rainie dropped it onto the ground beside him, “It's true that spirits and humans share the grounds of this world, but they are not the only ones that lie amongst us. Get your facts straight. You're not a ghost hunter for no reason, you know.”
 
Why should I believe any sacred being is willing to protect a puny girl like you?” The man retorted angrily, clenching his jaw in the most visible manner. One of his men advanced towards Rainie, weapon in hand, when he was whipped away from a strong current. When a second man tried to aid the first, he was engulfed in a strong whirl of wind more painfully than the warrior prior. No answer was required any longer, the man decided.
 
They left in a hurry, afraid of being caught up in a whirlwind they were unable to distinguish from as a deed of good or an act of bad. Rainie let out a long breath of air, all signs of her previous confidence blown away by the fresh currents like the sand on a windy beach.
 
You're always there,” She smiled to herself, “But I don't have much longer. How much longer will you make me wait?” As always, she received no answer.
 
You're too naïve, a voice reached out to Rainie. She lifted her head and glanced around, catching sight of nothing but the abandoned land. Letting out a low laugh, Rainie stood and walked over to a nearby tree. The tree was large, strong, firm and cast a comfortable shadow over the grounds where she stopped and lowered herself onto.
 
Do tell how,” Rainie inquired, hugging her knees to her chin.
 
It's not out of love, the voice insisted, if anything, it's out of hate.
 
Rainie threw her head back, watching as the leaves whooshed back and forth in rhythm with the voice speaking to her. “Hate?” She asked, “But why?”
 
Because that's all we have, the voice replied. Hate, we feed and live on hate.
 
“He doesn't hate me,” Rainie remarked, her voice stern and confident, “He can't.”
 
And why not?
 
“Because I'll be joining him.”
 
He won't let you.
 
“And why not?” Rainie mocked, imitating the voices previous tone.
 
Because he hates you.
 
Rainie furrowed her brows in a confused manner, “Isn't that all the more reason to wish me dead?”
 
No, not at all, because that's what you want. You wish to die. You wish to join him. Your wishes will never come true. Your pleads will never be answered.
 
“I've done nothing wrong,” Rainie hugged her legs, curling herself as if it made her any smaller. She wanted to be smaller.
 
That's not what he thinks.
 
“You don't know what he thinks,” Rainie grounded out.
 
He protects you but not out of love.
 
“I won't believe you,” Rainie hissed.
 
He guards you to keep you living, to make you suffer.
 
“I will hear none of what nonsense you speak!” Rainie grounded out.
 
He's right beside you, but he won't utter a single word to you. To keep you wondering, to keep you desiring, to keep you lingering on your guilty feelings.
 
Rainie shut her eyes together tight, the tears b her lashes, “I've done nothing to feel guilt.”
 
No? Are you so sure about that?
 
“I-,” Rainie paused, begging herself to finish her reply, “I...”
 
You're not. Rainie let her feelings over flow and drowned in her sorrow. It was true. She wasn't sure. I can help you, I can end all of this pain. I can bring you to him.
 
Rainie lifted her gaze to vast land before her, “How?”
 
Simple. You just have to-
 
The voice was gone. “Is that you?” Rainie called out to the emptiness, “Please, Kyuhyun, tell me. Is that you?” Her tears were now smearing her eyes and cheeks endlessly, like a waterfall with no end. “Kyuhyun, is it true? Do you hate me?”
 
Lifting her gaze to the sky, a single, small, leaf drifted onto her forehead. She removed the leaf and stared at it, perhaps it was a sign. The clouds were gathering, the sky was turning gray, and she could hear the sounds of thunder which was soon followed by lightning.
 
“Still no reply,” Rainie smiled to herself, “but maybe that in itself in an answer.”
 
Rainie had no intention of taking shelter whatsoever. She continued sitting there, knowing that Kyuhyun would provide an invisible layer of protection for her.
 
The outline of a figure formed beside her, his tall form hovering over her small cuddled being. His outline emanated light, his existence warming her through the wind and rain. She couldn't see him, she never was able to, but she felt him.
 
“I don't have much longer,” She chanted as her eyes slowly drifted close, “How much longer will you make me wait?”
 
Kyuhyun lowered himself to the ground and wrapped an arm over her shoulder, pulling her so that she was leaning against him for support. “As long as it takes,” He grinned, looking ahead into the distance, “As long as I am able to keep you from my world, our world.”
 
“I don't have forever,” Rainie mumbled, half awake, “I need answers.”
 
Laughing, Kyuhyun tightened his hold on her. “Forever? No one has forever, not even the likes of me.” He lowered his head, afraid to search into Rainie's face. If he took one look, a single glance, he was afraid he couldn't keep himself sane. “I don't have answers to your questions, Rainie,” Kyuhyun sighed, “I'm afraid I left you to fend for yourself too late, you were old enough to acknowledge me.”

“Ngh,” Rainie groaned and fidgeted in his arms, unconsciously trying to make herself feel more comfortable.
 
“And you were old enough to fall in love, falling in love with an angel. You knew it was wrong, didn't you?” Kyuhyun chuckled. “You probably did it on purpose, just to get me suspended.” His smile slowly faded as the passing storm started to clear up, “You always slept on stormy days.”
 
The steadiness of her heartbeat calmed him, reassuring that he still had a bit of time left before he had to banish himself from Rainie's sight.
 
“I guess being a fallen angel is no less of an angel than I was before, right?” He smiled weakly. “At least I can still protect you, even if I'm banned to appear before you.” He lowered Rainie onto the ground when the dark clouds were out of sight and blended into nature. When she woke, Rainie heard nothing, saw nothing, but she felt the warmth of his arms on her shoulders.
 
Rainie grinned to herself. “Just like when I was young,” she beamed with a certain air, “You would always hug me to sleep.” She stood and dusted herself, turning to search for the bouquet she brought along with her. It was gone. Her smiled widened even more. “I knew you'd like them,” She nodded proudly.
 
By the roots of the tree Kyuhyun held the flowers in his hands. He waited for Rainie to leave and followed her steps, making sure not to leave her side for even the shortest moment. “I knew you were strong enough,” He stretched, “But this is seriously one tiring job.”
 
“I'm no trouble maker!” Rainie shouted, sprinting to the place she called home.
 
Kyuhyun chuckled and ran after her. For as long as he could, he would always make sure Rainie would never see him again. She didn't belong anywhere but amongst the living, as a living. She didn't belong with him any longer, she never did, but at some point in time their perpendicular lines crossed. Now, both must continue forward; Kyuhyun as a fallen angel and Rainie as the over-protected danger magnet.