I

Mariposa

It was that cold, freezing day that nearly drove me to my death. I could only pray my wings would bring me to the warmth. But I noticed the dead bodies of some moths littered nearby. A very distant relative, but it was enough to make me hold back, no matter how much I wanted the heat.

It was a trap.

The heat was left there, tempting to us who needed much relief from the cold. But to go too close to it would cause our death. The scalding heat that seared our body, burnt through our wings and left us for the dead.

I could only land on the ground, feel the heat barely graze the tips of my wings as I prayed, trying to remember the warmth of spring. The sweetness of my beloved nectar. The happiness of my family that fluttered around me. The beauty of the flowers as they welcomed us to a whole new season.

Lost in my memories, I was distracted for a moment. Then I slowly opened my eyes.

I found myself staring down at the ground, a huge hand pressed on wood.

I squeaked in surprise, almost tumbling backward, but my wings fluttered quickly, helping me keep my balance as I landed on my feet.

H…..Human?

I looked down at my massive body. Something similar to the silk those worms spouted was wrapped around me, some strands still floating in the wind. I looked back, and saw my wings. They were much bigger. I thought they looked pretty.

I shivered as the cold wind blew at me again. My body may be bigger, but the season wouldn’t change.

I pressed myself against the wall, curling up into a ball and using my wings to shelter myself from the snow that flew mercilessly, dotting my face white.

“Wh-wha……?”

My head snapped up at a voice. Another human, a boy stood before me. His eyes were so wide I bet they’d fall out. The piece of cloth in his hand dropped to the ground, as he dashed up to me.

“Wh-what are you? I-I mean, a-are you ok?”

I trembled a little more violently, my wings doing the same. His eyebrows furrowed, and he gently scooped me up, and I felt blind panic fill me when his hands almost touched my wings. A little screech came from my throat, surprising him but he didn’t let me go.

“Just wait a second.” He murmured, shouldering open the door into the house. It was much warmer in there, the snow no longer reaching my wings.

He put me down on something big and soft. I smiled, sitting with my legs crossed as he went into a room, and returned with a cup of warm water.

“Here, drink this. And I promise, you can trust me. My name’s Minho.” He handed it to me, still babbling. The cup reminded me of the inside of a flower, carefully holding its nectar.

I took it in my hands, but almost immediately dropped it. It was really heavy. The boy caught it without spilling anything, his eyes filled with worry.

Instead, he held it to my lips. I blinked, a little confused. Do humans drink like this?

Using a finger, I pressed it down a few centimeters, and he looked a little surprised. Then, opening my mouth, I stuck out my tongue. At first, it looked like any other human tongue. Then slowly, it began to uncurl, turning back into my proboscis as I the water. The cup was drained in no time flat, and I smiled as the warm, sweet liquid made its way down my tummy.

As soon as my proboscis disappeared, I noticed the boy staring at me in total shock.

“Wh-what on earth are you? You’re not…..a fairy? No, a fairy doesn’t have a tongue like that. I don’t think you’re an alien….”

I smiled, and struggled to form words.

“I-I…..Bu..tter…ful….ly….” My pronunciation was probably wrong, but he got the message.

“How….?”

I shrugged. I couldn’t really talk well.

He sighed softly.

“You can stay here, if you like. I don’t think you have any place to go anyway, and that blizzard doesn’t seem to be ending anytime soon.”

I smiled happily, and reached forward, my lips touching his cheek while my wings fluttered gently.

I pulled back, staring at his now, rather red cheeks.

“You should probably go take a bath.”

Bath?

I tipped my head to one side, wondering what it meant.

“Oh gosh, you don’t know?” His voice lowered to a whisper, and he was blushing horribly by now.

“H….el….p….m…e” I spoke with great difficulty, and he sighed.

“I guess I’ll have to.”

 

******

 

As soon as I saw the tub of warm water he filled for me, I instantly understood what he meant about a bath.

He meant to get clean.

Flapping my wings, I hovered over the tub, carefully dipping my toes in, and then submerging my whole body under the water. I sighed, careful that my wings wouldn’t get wet.

He handed me something soft, while I stared back at him quizzically.

He picked up something that looked similar, and rubbed his own body with it, and gestured for me to copy his actions.

I slowly, and cautiously began to follow. Soon I began to let out happy sighs as it seemed to rub off any dirt from my body, the rough surface slowly polishing my smooth skin.

Then, I noticed something round and white float up. I let out a little yelp and almost fell down, if not for Minho who caught me by the elbow.

“These are bubbles. They come from soap. Soap helps you get clean!” He at least had the decency to keep his explanations simple due to my limited understanding, but I felt a bit embarrassed that I was afraid of bubbles! Bubbles, of all things!

He chuckled softly, propping himself up on one elbow at the edge of the tub, his other hand dabbing lazily in the air, popping a few that floated around.

I continued to clean myself, until he picked up something round and shiny. He twisted a tap, I think it’s called a tap at least, and water gushed out. He handed it to me.

“Wash off the soap. Then you’re done. When you are, wear these.” He pointed to a pile of clothes by a side, and headed out, closing the door firmly behind him.

I didn’t really know why he had to leave, but after every single bubble had disappeared, the strands of silk were gone as well, leaving my body bare and cold. And unfortunately, I no longer had any fur on my body to keep me warm.

So that’s what clothes are for.

I managed to wear the one meant for my bottom half, but the other I held it in my hands, troubled.

How do I fit my wings in this thing?

I let out a deep sigh, and opened the door, looking for the boy. He would help me.

 

*****

 

I didn’t see him anywhere on the first floor, so I fluttered up to the second floor, seeing him leaning against the railing, something in his hands.

“H-Hi!” He let out a squeak of surprise, the book dropping over the railing. I zipped after it, holding it gingerly in my hands as I took it back to him.

“Thanks.” He sighed in relief, his eyes filled with amazement as he stared at my wings a little longer.

“Wait, why aren’t you wearing your shirt?” He gasped.

“W-wi…ngs….Can’t…..f-it….” I mumbled, handing him the one he left for me. He scratch the back of his head sheepishly.

“Sorry. My mistake. Come with me.” He the balls of his feet, heading towards another room while I flew after him, my feet a few inches from the ground.

He opened a wardrobe, looking around desperately until his eyes brightened.

“Here!” He took out a long strand of cloth which reminded me of the silk, only it was black. He motioned for me to get closer, while he gently began wrapping my top half of it, avoiding my wings as he kept it firm in a knot at the back of my waist.

I smiled, flying behind him and wrapping my arms around his neck. I let out a series of clicks; my mother tongue.

Thank you so much.

He gazed at me, a little confused. I expected it to be that way.

“Come on, let’s go to sleep. You need it.” He gently took my hand, leading me to a big, white rectangle.

“Lie down here.”

I tentatively landed on it, surprised as it sunk under my weight. It felt so soft, like the petals of a big white lily.

I lay down on my side, my wings folded neatly behind me. It was the first time I slept in that position; it just didn’t seem so comfortable to sleep on my stomach anymore.

He covered me up with another, petal-like thing. It felt warm and soft too, he called it a blanket.

“Sweet dreams.” I gazed at him a moment longer, before closing my eyes, hearing him whisper.

“Sweet dreams, my little Mariposa.”