~Prologue~

Dranier

~Prologue~

I awoke to a phone call at about three in the morning. My room was humid due to the hot summer air. I could tell my window was open, like always, the light breeze creeping into my room was a telltale sign. Dongwoo must’ve stopped by. I sat up and looked around my dim moonlit room. Nothing was missing and nothing was added, except Dongwoo. He sat at my desk with his head resting on his folded arms. A light snore coming from him as he slept. I must’ve called out to him again. A slight feeling of guilt hit me. It wasn’t fair that he had to suffer because of the stupid dreams I had.

I fumbled around my bed for my phone, silently cursing myself for not putting it on my night stand like I constantly reminded myself to do, yet still fell short on. Once in my hands I punched the talk button. It was Lexis. This wasn’t the first time she’s called me this late. Or early, depending on how you look at it. Even still, that didn’t make it any less annoying.

“Hello…” my voice was scratchy due to sleep. I tried to stay quiet as to not wake Dongwoo.

“Abs!” it was another story for her. “Guess what!”

“This had better be good Lex.”

“Oh, it is!” She insisted. I heard scuffling on her side. She must’ve been looking for her notebook. I turned my table lamp on. Any social even that Lexis took notes on was major. I learned about that in the freshman year, when she first documented an argument between one of our classmates and the English teacher. No one had known the exact situation but her. Sure enough, everyone went to her for the details. She’s been getting buzz ever since. The light from my lamp stung my eyes. I let out a heavy sigh, signaling her to continue. “Kim Myungsoo  is single!” I sat up so fast I nearly fell off of my bed.

“What? When? Where? Why? How did this happen?” I was a bucket load of questions. Dongwoo then looked up, probably assessing if I was ok. I mouthed a silent apology to him and went back to the conversation. Lexis then launched into a story of how Myungsoo and Erica-his now ex-girlfriend- got into some weird argument at the movie theatres and how Erica walked all the way home. Myungsoo was the most coveted guy in the upper class at Sheraton High.

I don’t know much about how those two ended up together. Though I do know that Erica was just lucky enough to be “that one girl” that everyone wished to be. Myungsoo didn’t associate with just anyone, so you knew being his girlfriend was something more than an honor. I cavorted around my room, with Dongwoo watching me with a questionable smile. This is what I’ve been waiting for since the seventh grade when Myungsoo first moved to Spartan Ville. The guy of my dreams, Kim Myungsoo, was single! I now, finally, had chance at him.

Lexis continued with her story, going into broad details about everything she’d witnessed. She was more excited for me than anything else. We would sit around all day talking about ways we could get Myungsoo to notice me. It wasn’t like I wasn’t noticeable. Unlike many other girls in the Korean culture, I was pretty curvy. So I did get attention from guys, though not the kind of attention I wanted. Lexis was one of the girls who didn’t go for the “popular” guys, so Myungsoo wasn’t really her priority. We normally just sat around coming up with plans for me. I wasn’t sure who Lexis was in to. She never talked about it. She just always helped me with my Myungsoo endeavors.

I began to think back to those moments in class whereMyungsoo’s and my eyes would meet, and it would feel as though we were connected for a split second. We’d even have the same reaction, so I thought, to different things that happened throughout the day. At least that’s what Lexis’ notes read. It was weird how connected I felt to him, even though we’d never had a real conversation. He was my chemistry partner though little was said there. He would just do the work. I never tried to make conversation with him I just followed what he did most of the time and just did the work. Even in these moments, I felt connected to him. Listening to Lexis now, talk about this huge event, this great shift in my life, was illusory. This had truly turned out to be the best summer break ever, as Lexis has predicted.

 


 

Uh... never done an author's note. What am I s'posed to say here anyway? Oh, uhm, this entire story is prewritten. So yeah. Bloop.